Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Your Favorite Version of the Stones
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: May 3, 2008 22:45

For me, a boot that I never tire of is the band in the summer of 1978 ("Handsome Girls"). Here we have the basic band with the accompaniement of Stu, Ian McLagan and Bobby Keys. No extended solos, no unncessary showboating. This is my personal favorite redefining moment, with a bit of homage paid to their roots, and a focus on then-new material. They leave the punks lying in the dust.

There's a couple of folks out there who agree with me, is that correct?

Re: Your Favorite Version of the Stones
Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: May 3, 2008 22:57

What's up with the present incarnation??

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 3, 2008 22:59

1964 version...

JR

Posted by: keef_nerd ()
Date: May 3, 2008 23:00

1972 version

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 3, 2008 23:06

I like this version:

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: May 3, 2008 23:47

thats the good thing about the stones, thiers plenty of versions of them.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: May 4, 2008 00:07

Handsome Girls is my favorite by a big margin.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 4, 2008 00:32

<They leave the punks lying in the dust.>

No way. The Stones were way too palatable by then. They were well on their way to being a big time corporate entertainment machine Their days of tweaking society were long behind them. Wasn't Patti Smith kicked off that tour? Wonder why? Nothing they've done post Exile touches authenticity and grit of London Calling. Joe Strummer stood before an American crowd and called this country decadent and dedicated a song to future generations, the ones who will have nothing left. He was right and that was 25 years ago. Do the Stones have those balls? Do they care? The punks brought something to the party. The Stones were cashing in and are now cashing out.

Date: May 4, 2008 00:41

pmk251

...They were well on their way to being a big time corporate entertainment machine...

So, uh, do you have a problem with the band making lots of money? I work for a living, too, but I don't begrudge anyone's success.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 4, 2008 00:42

maybe for a "redefining moment," yeah. But my favorite version is of course the classic line-up with brian, and including stu.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: May 4, 2008 00:57

PMk251 - The 'Stones did not become a big time corporate entertertainment machine until the 'Steel Wheels' tour 1989/90.
The 'Stones were still expressing their views in 1978 with Some Girls,Shattered,Miss You,Faraway Eyes etc.
Bear in mind that the punk explosion mid 70's was openly declared by the new style bands as the end of the road for the 'Stones' as they were now old style.
As one is well aware the punk bands disappeared into obscurity and the 'Stones continued to roll on at the top of the pile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-04 01:04 by stones40.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 4, 2008 01:52

1962-1983 version - depends on the mood if to be defined in more specific terms.

- Doxa

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: May 4, 2008 02:18

1964-1983 and 1994-2007

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 4, 2008 02:29

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 4, 2008 02:42

1984-1988

Date: May 4, 2008 03:09

Erik_Snow
1984-1988

grinning smiley Yeah, that's the ticket. I played bass for them during that period, but the Stones couldn't get any work so I took another job. Bill decided he'd rather plant flowers in his garden. Yeah, that's it. drinking smiley

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 4, 2008 03:12

1964-1981 and 1989-2008

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: May 4, 2008 03:29

My order of preference:

1. W/Mick Taylor
2. W/Brian Jones
3. W/Wayne Perkins - Harvey Mandel
4. W/Ron Wood

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: May 4, 2008 03:33

I like them all.

Depends on the day I'm in.

All their versions have delivered great and assorted music.

The Stones always knew how to reinvent themselves as a band and keep their own style at the same time, so there's always been interesting songs from them.

And all of their tours have been historical for one reason or another.

Posted by: MICK_JAGGER ()
Date: May 4, 2008 03:52

the stones right now, 2000's are the best imo, rockin, corporate, billion dollar industry and are so unbelievable cool, 95-2008 is my favorite stones

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: May 4, 2008 04:06

Wow this milio 77 cat is getting cooler by the day. Yea i like them all the way through myself. You know it just depends on the moods,but i like them from 62 to present it does'nt matter as long as the guitar plays.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 4, 2008 04:23

I like them all, but I would have to say overall 1969 through 1975 tour.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: May 4, 2008 04:30

In terms of live performances, the 69 - 73 team does it for me!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 4, 2008 05:12

I like slate, quartz and emeralds.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: May 4, 2008 09:50

1966-73 are my favourite years within the history of the Stones. It's easy to forget how truly great tracks like 'Mother's Little Helper', 'Lady Jane', '19th Nervous Breakdown', 'Citadel', We Love You', 'Yesterday's Paper's' and 'Backstreet Girl' are as we clamour in our appreciation for their later work. Sometimes i feel i miss the diversity of their 66-67 period when the Stones were influenced by old england sounds and psychedelic influences, although one could always argue those styles were perhaps not quite so genuine within the Stones true forte, but i love them just as much, although it took the album 'Beggars Banquet' to really attain a level of consistency throughout their music which would last throughout the next 4-5 years. 'Handsome Girls' and the 78 tour is good rock 'n' roll of course but i always feel it lacks that extra dimension which Brian Jones and Mick Taylor brought to the group. It's the Stones rock 'n' roll sound at its best to a degree, but it's a little too basic in its approach, although one could argue quite justifiably that it reflected the sign of the times.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: May 4, 2008 10:25

pmk251

No way. The Stones were way too palatable by then. They were well on their way to being a big time corporate entertainment machine Their days of tweaking society were long behind them. Wasn't Patti Smith kicked off that tour? Wonder why? Nothing they've done post Exile touches authenticity and grit of London Calling. Joe Strummer stood before an American crowd and called this country decadent and dedicated a song to future generations, the ones who will have nothing left. He was right and that was 25 years ago. Do the Stones have those balls? Do they care? The punks brought something to the party. The Stones were cashing in and are now cashing out.
Wrong! the 1978 USA Some Girls summer tour was not about money...it was a short tour 1 arena gigs
2 clubgigs and some stadium gigs the tour was about promoting Some Girls and it was all punk R&R ,blues and reggae they were the only big R&R band that did such a thing

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 4, 2008 10:39

Of course I like every era from the beginning up to now.
But my favourite lineup is this:

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 4, 2008 11:23

Shine A Light back to 1963.....YEAH lurv it ALL...!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: May 4, 2008 12:56

1972, no doubt about this.

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 4, 2008 14:48

The lineup with Ronnie. Bill or Darryl doesn't matter much because they're both great. But the Ronnie one for sure. Best era with him is 1994/1995.

JumpingKentFlash

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1613
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home