Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: General reactions after Black and Blue?
Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 28, 2008 20:06

I guess I can see how the arrangements are not as thick as on previous albums--but isn't that often held up as a flaw for, for example, Goats Head Soup? The plus side of the simpler arrangements is a clearer sound, especially on the drums. Though what took them so goddamned long to release the album if they weren't fussing over overdubs in the arrangements? ... oh yeah, they were all pretty wasted back then.

I like Barbara Charone's review, thanks LOGIE. Hard to see how the listless IORR was seen as a "comeback" when, imo, both GHS and B&B are much stronger.

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: April 28, 2008 20:46

cc
I like Barbara Charone's review, thanks LOGIE. Hard to see how the listless IORR was seen as a "comeback" when, imo, both GHS and B&B are much stronger.

Agreed, and from me thanks to LOGIE of bringing the article here

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: April 29, 2008 00:24

wesley
I can´t imagine a more contradictionary album than Black and Blue is. Two classic, masterpieces (memory m, fool to cry), a few mediocre songs (hot stuff, hand of fate and crazy mama) and those flops, cherry oh etc.

Just out of curiosity and being too young at the publication date, what was the reaction of fans or "general" public?
Farewell to blues-oriented r´n´r?
Did it sell well?
And what was the attitude of the rock journalists?

I´d appreciate if someone could enlighten my curiosity. Thanks!

_____ when the album came out i was 26 and in the hollywood area... there was so much going on, any new stones album was just a big plus,, the block i came from thought hot stuff was weak, faulty, contrived,, no one could deney fool or memory, melody (prestin was playing local clubs all the time), and respect was paid to cherry o, the feel was the stones could do anything better of any genre than anyone, there reputation was that high, still living off off the early 70s stuff and of course the forum shows and baggers/bleed albums (not to mention people my age seeing n feeling there early arrival... whats interesting to me is crazy mama was detested, looked at as a fake, a filler, sub par,, same with hand of fate,..
and the main report here to help address your post,,, everyone felt cheated, there were what, only 8 songs, and that was assumed due to there egotism and drug use,, we wanted more,, ten, 12 songs,,, thought i would relate this, read between the lines as i go now to ytube for fool to cry before going out in this ninety degree beautiful sunshine... ps. the best part, the cover and the sunset billboard help keep the stones prop'd up as 'the stones', ,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-29 00:37 by soundcheck.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 29, 2008 05:00

I was fourteen when the album came out, and I remember one in particular nasty review ( could have been Rolling Stone or CREAM) that ran the slogan "BLAND ON BLAND". Really doesnt get more insulting than that.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 29, 2008 05:27

Hot Stuff, Crazy Mama, and even Fool To Cry were in heavy rotation on the radio in NYC..........

Date: April 29, 2008 09:31

thanks to all those who warm-heartedly replied, it´s been a real pleasure to read all these insightful posts!!

you may correct me if i´m wrong, but i tried to conclude the response which black and blue got immeadetly after it was released as follows

united states: thumbs upthumbs upthumbs down
england: thumbs downthumbs downthumbs down
rest of the World: thumbs upthumbs downthumbs down

.. if I understood the nationality of the posters right..
.. back to work..
.. tonight I´ll listen to BLACK AND BLUE smiling smiley

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: April 29, 2008 12:46

This album was my first rolling stones one. It is one of my favourite. At this times people were thinking that Mick and Keith were far from their tracks.. but its is very nice, because I think each of their record is different and unique.. different atmosphere in each... chose your favourites.

I love Love You Live also.. their best live record (I don't like Get Yer Yaya's Out). For me Love you live is very rich, magic and one of their best.. Rolling Stones are returning to wild life.

I have also loved the bigger bang tour (I will buy SAL Cd later...).

Posted by: z ()
Date: April 29, 2008 13:10

RiffKichards
I love Love You Live also.. their best live record (I don't like Get Yer Yaya's Out). For me Love you live is very rich, magic and one of their best.. Rolling Stones are returning to wild life.

I completely agree.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: April 29, 2008 13:11

LOGIE
It was certainly slaughtered by NME's Charles Shaar Murray who, for his 'sins', was subjected to some particularly nasty intimidation from the Stones' camp a few week's later, during his coverage of their tour opener in Franfurt.

In an article enitled, "Too Stoned To Roll", he described how, during an interview with Keith, a piece of paper was handed to the guitarist, informing him as to who Murray was and what he had said about Black & Blue. Having then met with some particularly vitriolic abuse from Jagger and Richards, the NME scribe was subsequently warned in no uncertain terms, that his presence was no longer desired and that if he didn't quite understand that sentiment, a gathering mob of heavies would do their best to help.

...but what a strong feature that was! I admire the way CSM included the "interview" part of his story as a dream sequence, so he could describe some scenes you wouldn't uncover normally: "And then I fell into a dream..."

I also enjoy the concert part of it where Keith falls on his butt.
CSM is one hell of a writer, that's for sure, even if he didn't always "deliver" from the Stones point of view ;-)

For those who are interested: "Too Stoned To Roll" is inlcuded in Dave Dalton's book "Rolling Stones - The First 20 Years".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-29 13:26 by Greenblues.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: April 29, 2008 13:52

Greenblues
LOGIE
It was certainly slaughtered by NME's Charles Shaar Murray who, for his 'sins', was subjected to some particularly nasty intimidation from the Stones' camp a few week's later, during his coverage of their tour opener in Franfurt.

In an article enitled, "Too Stoned To Roll", he described how, during an interview with Keith, a piece of paper was handed to the guitarist, informing him as to who Murray was and what he had said about Black & Blue. Having then met with some particularly vitriolic abuse from Jagger and Richards, the NME scribe was subsequently warned in no uncertain terms, that his presence was no longer desired and that if he didn't quite understand that sentiment, a gathering mob of heavies would do their best to help.

...but what a strong feature that was! I admire the way CSM included the "interview" part of his story as a dream sequence, so he could describe some scenes you wouldn't uncover normally: "And then I fell into a dream..."

I also enjoy the concert part of it where Keith falls on his butt.
CSM is one hell of a writer, that's for sure, even if he didn't always "deliver" from the Stones point of view ;-)

For those who are interested: "Too Stoned To Roll" is inlcuded in Dave Dalton's book "Rolling Stones - The First 20 Years".

Yes, good point about the dream sequence. It was probably the only way by which he could actually get away with reporting the things he did, without getting into further trouble.

Interesting how NME 'awarded' Murray with the review of Some Girls when it came out two years' later, enabling him to have another dig at the Stones with another merciless hatchet job!

...but as you say, he was one helluva journalist!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 29, 2008 22:32

I've always liked BAB. Partially because it is so different from the classic era and of course now from post BAB. It's not a warhorse, it's not a 'classic', to this day it still surprises me when I play it. It doesn't really have a classic Rolling Stones hit on it - yeah yeah, they've put Fool To Cry on every goddamned compilation. That song is over-rated. Memory Motel, on the other hand, is excellent.

I've always loved Crazy Mama - it's just sleazy. Hey Negrita as well. Cherry Oh Baby sucks - what a wreck that is. Too bad they missed off Slave and Worried About You.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 29, 2008 22:40

I for one have always loved Cherry Oh Baby.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 29, 2008 22:46

Cherry Oh Baby on Black and Blue is stronger than original, that's for sure... It is kind of a filler, but still a good track.

B&B... One of the most... mysterious albums? No, not mysterious, but I don't know the right word. You know, you listen to Exile or Sticky Fingers for a thousands times a year and know every note, every tune perfectly... But it's impossible with Black and Blue, you can always find something interesting and new here, no matter which time you're listening!

For me it's the strongest Stones album from 1973-1977 era. Second is GHS. And Some Girls, next one... perfection, one of the big three for me winking smiley

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: April 29, 2008 22:48

skipstone
I've always liked BAB. Partially because it is so different from the classic era and of course now from post BAB. It's not a warhorse, it's not a 'classic', to this day it still surprises me when I play it. It doesn't really have a classic Rolling Stones hit on it - yeah yeah, they've put Fool To Cry on every goddamned compilation. That song is over-rated. Memory Motel, on the other hand, is excellent.

I've always loved Crazy Mama - it's just sleazy. Hey Negrita as well. Cherry Oh Baby sucks - what a wreck that is. Too bad they missed off Slave and Worried About You.
it could be the real classic with these 2 numbers

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: April 29, 2008 22:53

At the time of its release (april 1976) it was - at least in Holland - considered as the WORST Stones album ever.

But this album is like a good wine, it's getting better when it's growing old...
Even "Cherry Oh Baby" sounds wonderful these days........

(I guess that I have to wait till 2026 before I really appreciate ABcool smiley

Posted by: z ()
Date: April 29, 2008 23:14

I play B&B a lot more than GHS and IORR and it's one of my favorites to play guitar along with.
It has great sound. Particularly Charlie.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 30, 2008 11:38

I actually like Hot Stuff, Dance (Pt 1) and the other dance tracks they were doing around this time. I wish they had continued to explore this style a bit more.

Date: April 30, 2008 12:35

just advertising how i´m in the mood for the party, dance music:

me and my wife have been invited to private party tonight. After work we´ll spend some 1,5 hrs home before the host is gonna pick us up. My plans as a home-DJ: since she is not a Stones-fan I´ll put some easy-listening first (Hot Rocks 1?) - low volyme - some sparking wine (She loves it) winking smiley - after that:
Memory Motel (volyme higher)
Hand Of Fate
and finally Hot Stuff (volyme high!!)

I might even shout: "Hello living room! Having a good time? @#$%& great audience!"

hot smileyhot smiley

Date: April 30, 2008 14:31

i´m off to make my plans/dreams to come true

Cheers
Prosit
Cin cin
Slaincha
Skål
Kippis (big party day here, 1st of May tomorrow)

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: April 30, 2008 15:31

i was only 3 when it came out. the only songs i dont really like are "fool to cry" and "cherry oh baby". but i love the general mood and i think jaggers vocals are fantastic and so is the sound and the production in general. its sexy, dancy and hey black and blue!
i would probably put it on my top-5 list of all stones albums! hmmm...well top 7 ;-)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 30, 2008 16:48

My favorite - not neccesarily the best - just a greta time and place album.

Posted by: David Neal ()
Date: April 30, 2008 22:34

my first stones album and still loving it....when i saw them at the Astoria during the licks tour, they played hand of fate and it was awesome...Great Album IMO...i have no problems with cherry o...not my favorite..actually like the UB40 version better...

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 1, 2008 03:46

Loved Hot STuff at the time. I missed the overall energy of the Get Your Ya Yas Out sound, but I played it to the grooves wore off the record. Hand of Fate was a favorite.....also....Back up to Boston, I'm singing in a bar.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: May 1, 2008 04:37

I was too young at the time and didn't hear it until I discovered it on my own many years later. I was absolutely thrilled with it the first time I heard it and have been ever since. It's full of classic, raw Stones with very creative yet different types of music. Favorites are Hand of Fate, Melody, Memory Motel, Fool to Cry, Hot Stuff, Hey Negrita. As someone else mentioned, it is a really great party record. I have played it many times, with most of my friends being non-fanatics, and it's always made people stop and think about the Stones. My friends have a greater appreciation/understanding of the boys after hearing these tunes. I think there's a lot of substance to this album. Now I want to hear it LOL

Posted by: forligan ()
Date: May 1, 2008 13:06

I remember I vas ateeen or so yars olt, und I coont wait to go to store to buy it new Stone Rollers record. Schwartz und blau......und Melody vas my favurite right avay......ok boy, it's pain in my essholes now.......

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: May 1, 2008 13:37

I like it much better the GHS or IORR , the only thing that was wrong was cherry oh.. and it was too short otherwise it is a classic

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 1, 2008 14:06

The way BaB opens with the intro of Hot stuff is one of the strongest openers of any Stones album, up there with Rocks Off and Start Me Up. I always liked the album -excellent sounding guitars and drums, but it's just too short with a few fillers like Cherry, Melody, Crazy Mama and Fool to Cry. It's basically Hot Stuff, Hand of Fate, Memory Motel and Hey Negrita that are great, rest is mediocre at best.

Mathijs

Date: May 1, 2008 15:51

thanks for your response, all of you!!!

Mathis,do you really consider Fool To Cry as a filler?
I mean, most people don´tspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2183
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home