Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sticky Fingers Cover
Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: April 27, 2008 12:57

Hey,

I'm writing a portfolio in art about Andy Warhol and of course, his contribution to Sticky Fongers and Love You Live has to be mentioned.
Now, the thing is I forgot the name of the lady you can see on the cover of SF. Well...part of her **gg*...
Anyway, can anyone tell me her name? (I'm too lazy to have a look at the Just for the record DVD now. and I want to continue writing...)

Thank you thank you!

Charli

Re: Sticky Fingers Cover
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 27, 2008 13:26

lady?? if you mean the same Sticky Fingers i mean,
wikipedia has two names listed for the guy who was supposedly photographed: [en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-27 13:31 by with sssoul.

Date: April 27, 2008 14:02

Yes, I know I had a look at wikipedia, but both names must be wrong. I can't quite remember who said it in an interview you can watch on the DVD, I think it might probably have been Jo Bergmann, who said that in fact it's not Mick Jagger, however most people believe it's him and that the person on the cover actually is a lady, named blah blah blah - I don't know, from New York who is whatever she is and does. I forgot.

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: April 27, 2008 14:06

I've read that it was a boyfriend of Andy Warhol, but just because I've read it doesn't make it true smiling smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-27 14:08 by Stargroves.

Posted by: yapthe6th ()
Date: April 27, 2008 15:25

That "lady" sure is sporting a package. I have never heard the person on the cover is female. The Russian, I think, Sticky Fingers DOES have a Female on the cover, And you can tell easily.

Date: April 27, 2008 19:21

Hmm....I'll have to throw in the DVD and have a look for what Jo said.

Thanks anyway. smileys with beer

Date: April 27, 2008 19:25

um ... "one of Andy Warhol's protege's" does NOT mean it's a female! au contraire.
maybe what you're recalling is that the person worked as a female impersonator.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-27 19:31 by with sssoul.

Date: April 27, 2008 19:30

with sssoul
um ... "one of Andy Warhol's protege's" does NOT mean it's a female! au contraire

?? with sssoul, what do ya mean? Can't remember anyone dropping the word protege here. Stargroves said "boyfriend." smiling smiley
Andy Warhol was gay, at least I should know by now. *lol*

Date: April 27, 2008 19:33

CharliMoon, i used the word "protege" because that's one word i recall being used about the guy, okay?
it's a male.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 27, 2008 20:03

As if Wikipedia is something to be trusted. Come on y'all!

Date: April 27, 2008 20:05

>> Come on y'all! <<

huh? what is his name, in that case? CharliMoon's waiting :E

Date: April 27, 2008 20:16

Who's name? The crotch model?

Date: April 27, 2008 20:19

Here you go, from warholstar.org:

SPRING 1971: ANDY WARHOL SHOOTS SOME CROTCHES FOR STICKY FINGERS.

Warhol did the photographs for the design of the ROLLING STONES' Sticky Fingers album. Warhol never told anyone whose crotch he used on the cover, but he shot the crotches of GLENN O'BRIEN, JAY JOHNSON (Warhol boyfriend Jed's twin brother) and Jay's best friend COREY TIPPIN, who would also do the make-up on L'AMOUR. When the album came out, Glenn was convinced that his crotch was on the inside of the cover and Jay's on the outside. (BC57)

According to Warholstars site user, Stylissmo, the model for both the inside and outside of the Rolling Stones cover, was Corey Tippin.

Stylissmo:

"Jay Johnson famously has only one testicle, Jed wasn't built like that... Corey Tippin, a factory kid, star of L'Amour sometime model and makeup artist - was well known for his endowment... and was also known - along with his friend, the illustrator Antonio Lopes, for 'showing basket' - a real 70's kind of gay display that involved bulging crotches in tight jeans. Attendees at the Sticky Fingers release party mention that of the aforementioned possible models for the cover - only Corey Tippin was at the party. At any rate all this has been told to me in various pieces by Jay Johnson, Corey Tippin, Jane Forth, Parul Caranicas (director of Antonio's estate) and other characters who are still friends and living in and around New York."

Date: April 27, 2008 20:28

Oh god.... straight boys talking about cock again?

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: April 27, 2008 21:02

Oh now get it straight - I didn't bring it up. Huh huh.

Date: April 27, 2008 21:03

all right CharliMoon, i checked Just for the Record for you -
it's Penny Arcade who talks about the cover shoot, and she says it's "Jackie Curtis the famous drag queen" -
ie a male - and it must be some other documentary that someone used the term "Warhol's protege"

3 pound 10 please

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: April 27, 2008 21:46

..... hey charlie mooner,, your little writing assignment is taken care of, all of the above stuff is good enough, just copy it down and you'll get a 'B', true or not,, plus, throw in that who ever the shot was of, if there was a true shot, died of a heroin overdose, that always grabs common peoples attention,,,,,, some of the info above is wrong but dont be discouraged, anyone can type or hold a pencil, just dont forget to sign your name....

Date: April 27, 2008 22:49

Just for the record, I did not claim to be right by any imagination, yet alone within the capacity of 100%. It could all be very wrong.

I think at this point though it just doesn't matter anymore.

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: April 28, 2008 10:14

Yes, the term protoge rings a bell, but I can't remember where from. I then reinterpreted it as boyfriend which may not be accurate.

with sssoul
- and it must be some other documentary that someone used the term "Warhol's protege"

3 pound 10 please

Date: April 28, 2008 14:35

Ah okay, thank you very much folks! smileys with beer You rock! thumbs up

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 15, 2008 09:02

Pop Artist Richard Hamilton is visiting Japan now.
He is saying that he had refused designing the cover of Sticky Fingers.
Mick made an offer after seeing his inspired work of Beatle's White Album.

He remade the poster of the “White Album" as a digital print.

This is his another artwork.

On February 12, 1967, British police raided a party at the home of Keith Richards, guitarist for the Rolling Stones.
Two guests, the group's lead singer, Mick Jagger, and Hamilton's art dealer, Robert Fraser,
were arrested and sentenced to jail for unlawful possession of drugs.
They are handcuffed together, a detail the artist highlighted with elements of metallic foil.
As he wrote, they express his "indignation at the insanity of legal institutions which could jail anyone for the offense of self-abuse with drugs."

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 15, 2008 09:27

from the New York Times, February 9, 2003:

POSSESSED; 1970's New York, On an Album Cover
By DAVID COLMAN

FOR thousands of New Yorkers who grew up far from the metropolitan area, the city was but a fantastic twinkle in the eye. For such youthful would-be cosmopolites, transport here was more readily achieved via tokens of jaded sophistication -- a book like ''The Catcher in the Rye,'' a movie like ''Valley of the Dolls'' -- than by the metal ones issued by the M.T.A.

The designer Michael Kors, growing up relatively nearby in Merrick, on Long Island, remembers plenty of glamorous intimations of New York. But none still unlock those passions like the Rolling Stones album ''Sticky Fingers,'' with a sleeve designed by Andy Warhol. When it was released in April 1971, Mr. Kors, then 11, was about to enter the vertiginous maelstrom of adolescence. The album was an immediate Polaris for him, but not because of its songs, which included the big hit ''Brown Sugar.''

It was the album-as-object. ''It was a Warhol, it was the Stones, it was New York, it was London,'' Mr. Kors said. ''For me, it was all these things coming together: fashion and pop and rock 'n' roll and high society and black culture.''

''Sticky Fingers'' came out at a pivotal time. In early 1971, the band fled England and its taxes for the South of France, and in May, just after the album was released, Mr. Jagger wed Bianca Pérez-Mora Macías in St.-Tropez. In October, their daughter, Jade, was born.

The album's famous cover set a high-water mark for sexual innuendo (with its image of a well articulated, denim-clad male crotch) and inventive design (with a functional zipper set into said crotch and an inner sleeve with said crotch clad in briefs). ''It was sex personified,'' Mr. Kors said.

The Andy Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh has a letter from Mr. Jagger in its archive asking Warhol to design the cover, but it has little other data on the work. An archivist there could not answer the big question about the cover, which won Warhol a Grammy nomination. (No, he didn't win.) Just whose pelvis did Warhol immortalize?

''Of course, I always thought it was Mick Jagger,'' Mr. Kors said. ''I had to wait until the grand old age of 15 to find out it was Joe Dallesandro,'' a reference to the star of Warhol films like ''Flesh'' and ''Trash.''

Not so, said Glenn O'Brien, the writer who was working for the Warhol magazine, Interview. ''Joe wasn't up to it or something, or they wanted someone skinnier.'' Mr. O'Brien said it was he who posed for the inner sleeve photo, in his Carter's briefs. As for the cover star, he said it was Jay Johnson, the decorator, then a model.

''It's not me,'' Mr. Johnson said, pointing the finger at Corey Tippin, a Factory habitué, now a photo stylist living in Bridgeport, Conn. Mr. Tippin said that, yes, the jeans and their contents were his, and he thought, but was not positive, that the inner sleeve was him as well. Both he and Mr. O'Brien were photographed, he said, but in his recollection, ''Glenn O'Brien seemed like he probably wore boxer shorts.''

(''It's my body,'' Mr. O'Brien rejoined. ''I'd know it anywhere.'')

Today, an original copy of the LP sells for about $50 on eBay and makes a more compelling objet than the CD, which doesn't have a real zipper. (A few that do have them look perculiarly out of scale.)

Not that Mr. Kors listens to the album. He doesn't even have a record player. Having lost his first copy years ago, he found a mint copy two years ago at Colony Records on Broadway. ''It's on top of a pile of coffee-table books on a side table,'' he said. ''It's the best coffee-table book in the world.''

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2399
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home