Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Question about Sticky Fingers Spanish Cover
Date: April 12, 2008 18:47

Hi all.. It is a fairly well known fact that the Spanish edition of the "Sticky Fingers" lp had an alternate cover as Spain's government censors during the time General Franco ruled the country found the zipper cover offensive..

Here is a picture of the spanish cover:

[flickr.com]

My question is- and i have researched this high and low to no avail- is does anyone know who designed this cover or came up with it? Was it the Stones themselves? Someone in Spain? I've heard it was the Stones with their spanish label but this is so vague! I mean its a pretty sophisticated cover and a designer must have been required..

thanks for any help.. i'm amazed I haven't found the answer yet...

Re: Question about Sticky Fingers Spanish Cover
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 12, 2008 19:05

I wonder how they went about deciding who the finger model was going to be.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: April 12, 2008 19:25

According to Wikipedia, take it or leave it, the Standard version of the LP was photographed, and designed as follows.

Cover
The artwork for Sticky Fingers - including a working zipper that opened to reveal a man in cotton briefs (rubber stamped "THIS PHOTOGRAPH MAY NOT BE-ETC.") - was conceived by Andy Warhol, photographed by Billy Name, designed by Craig Braun and featured the lower torso of either Warhol assistant Jed Johnson[1] or Joe Dallesandro[2] (not Mick Jagger as a number of fans at the time speculated) in a pair of tight jeans. The cover was later parodied by American band Mötley Crüe on their debut album Too Fast for Love. In Spain, General Franco proved his rock and roll credentials by substituting the original cover and "Sister Morphine" with a "Can of fingers" cover and the Chuck Berry composition "Let it Rock", recorded March 13th, 1971 at the University of Leeds. The album features the first usage of the "Tongue and Lip Design" designed by John Pasche.

The only info I have for the Spanish cover, is from the insert, that says the photography was done by Phil Jude. Will post back, if I find out more info.

JR

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: April 12, 2008 20:47

Somebody told me years ago that also was conceived by Andy Warhol...
The picture above is from the reissue (1981). I read somewhere that there are 3 versions of this LP. Perhaps John can tell.
Another question for stone-relics: I read recently on this forum that there are two versions of the poster in Let It Bleed. I have 4 posters and all of them are the same...
Thanks

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: April 12, 2008 20:51

Almost every country had his own poster. There's the UK with Decca logo, the US with London, the German one, the Italian one with a discography on the backside, maybe more, not sure about the French.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: April 12, 2008 20:53

OK. Thanks.
I was thinking of a complete different picture of Jagger or something like that.
Well: then I have two versions of the poster winking smiley

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: April 12, 2008 21:10

I got a bootleg, don't remember his name, featuring Sticky Fingers outtakes, which got this cover.

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Date: April 13, 2008 00:15

stone-relics
According to Wikipedia, take it or leave it, the Standard version of the LP was photographed, and designed as follows.

Cover
The artwork for Sticky Fingers - including a working zipper that opened to reveal a man in cotton briefs (rubber stamped "THIS PHOTOGRAPH MAY NOT BE-ETC.") - was conceived by Andy Warhol, photographed by Billy Name, designed by Craig Braun and featured the lower torso of either Warhol assistant Jed Johnson[1] or Joe Dallesandro[2] (not Mick Jagger as a number of fans at the time speculated) in a pair of tight jeans. The cover was later parodied by American band Mötley Crüe on their debut album Too Fast for Love. In Spain, General Franco proved his rock and roll credentials by substituting the original cover and "Sister Morphine" with a "Can of fingers" cover and the Chuck Berry composition "Let it Rock", recorded March 13th, 1971 at the University of Leeds. The album features the first usage of the "Tongue and Lip Design" designed by John Pasche.

The only info I have for the Spanish cover, is from the insert, that says the photography was done by Phil Jude. Will post back, if I find out more info.

JR

oh silly me the insert..i forgot about it..it says

Diseno de carpeta: John Pasche
Fotografia Pringosa: Phil Jude

do all issues have Jimmy Miller's warning as in the Spanish insert or the breakdwon of who isplaying who?
Who's "RockY" who plays percussion on can't you hear me knocking

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: April 13, 2008 00:38

do all issues have Jimmy Miller's warning as in the Spanish insert or the breakdwon of who isplaying who?
Who's "RockY" who plays percussion on can't you hear me knocking[/quote]

Rocky Dijon. Jimmy Miller also assists with percussion on this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1520
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home