Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Paradiso '95 - who was there?
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: March 7, 2008 05:04

Intimate setting, recording going on, great setlist & rendition of songs.....
I wasn't there - but maybe you have something to share?
pics, memories, stories, videos...

Re: Paradiso '95 - who was there?
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 7, 2008 06:09

I wasn't there. I've been there. It's a shame only one song from that show was used on Stripped and the rest for the B-sides! That album is in practically every bar in Amsterdam!

Posted by: frankie ()
Date: March 7, 2008 08:22

I was there and it was the best gig I went to. Never forget this beautiful day. may 26 1995. Scoring tickets in the morning and the gig in the evening. Indeed a shame they didn't use any more stuff from the paradiso gigs. I don't think you will find any foto's from anybody. The security was really tight on this one and you would not even try to bring anything in you weren't allowed to cause you would have been kicked out.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 7, 2008 08:51

Quote Basement News article (#13, p. 4/5 by Koos Kokhuis):

"The Police seemed to be to exile the tall, the ugly and particularly
the over 30´s to the balconies and the sides of the floor. A number
of models, hired from an agency, was placed right before the stage."

Once again real fans in front of them!

Posted by: Outtake ()
Date: March 7, 2008 12:21

TooTough
Quote Basement News article (#13, p. 4/5 by Koos Kokhuis):

Once again real fans in front of them!

They arrived on a boat coming from the Amstel hotel. Some famous people in the crowd that night. I saw our Prince with his girlfriend (now wive) on the balcony, he must have had about 4 or 5 people with him for security. The next day, the 2nd show was broadcasted live on a big screen standing on a square were about 60,000 watched the show.

Posted by: princerupert ()
Date: March 7, 2008 13:46

OuttakeThey arrived on a boat coming from the Amstel hotel. Some famous people in the crowd that night. I saw our Prince with his girlfriend (now wive) on the balcony, he must have had about 4 or 5 people with him for security. The next day, the 2nd show was broadcasted live on a big screen standing on a square were about 60,000 watched the show.

The Prince of Holland met his wife (Maxima from Argentina) in the late 90's so she wasn't around in 1995. I was at the square that 2nd night watching the screen. The atmosphere in Amsterdam was magical those days in May. I'll never forget them. Being in Paradiso must have felt like being in Heaven. I saw 2 clubshows a few years later (99 & 03) but they never could captured the magic that was felt in Amsterdam in may 95. Even for the people who weren't inside. Temperatures were high, summertime was coming, the bad hadn't been in Europe for 5 years. A magical time!!They did another 5 shows in Holland that summer. I was at all of them.

Rupert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-07 13:49 by princerupert.

Posted by: yahozna ()
Date: March 7, 2008 14:12

princerupert

The Prince of Holland met his wife (Maxima from Argentina) in the late 90's so she wasn't around in 1995.

Rupert

You are right, he was there alright, but not with Maxima but as I recall with his then girlfriend (I think she's called Emily Bremers). Anyway, I'm one of the apparantly few Dutch who thinks monarchy is a ridiculous backward institute, so I'm not bothered about that cool smiley

I remember the rumours in the days before the concert and I did not believe them. Then I got an offer to fly to Barcelona and watch a football match between Barcelona and Real Madrid (only needed to pay for the football ticket). Back at Schiphol airport a few days later one of the first things I heard over the airport intercom was "wil de vertegenwoordiger van The Rolling Stones zich melden bij de informatiebalie?" which translates roughly as "representative of The Rolling Stones, please call at the information desk".

Then I knew the rumours where true.......but by then the concerts were already over sad smiley

Looking at the set lists of both concerts I can only drool.
If you ever need an argument against some people's claims that "a Rolling Stones concert is not a Rolling Stones concert without them playing Jumpin' Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women etc.etc.", well: read them and weep.

My consolation: in Barcelona I could shake hands after the match with Ronald Koeman, then player of Barcelona and it was already known that he would go to Feyenoord next season......

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-07 14:13 by yahozna.

Posted by: Haag ()
Date: March 7, 2008 14:14

I failed to get tickets for the two shows and watched the second show on the museum square. I agree that the atmosphere was magical. The setlist was superb with tunes like "still a fool", "down in the bottom", "rip this joint", "jump on top of me", "dead flowers" etc.

I think this was the only Stones concert played with no warhorses at all. The show was professionally filmed and recorded. Unfortunately there were too many mistakes to release the show as a DVD or live album. Maybe one day they open the vaults (yes, I keep on dreaming).

Posted by: Outtake ()
Date: March 7, 2008 15:55

Right, it was Emily

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: March 7, 2008 16:09

I got married May 26 1995; IMO the only valid reason not to try to attend...

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: March 7, 2008 17:10

I was lucky enough to attend both Paradiso shows and they were truly among the best Stones shows I have ever seen from about 90 since 1972. Other contenders for my best show are MSG '72 and Hampton '81 with lots of other small venue shows in the mix, maybe Toad's Place '89 for pure excitement to see them after a 7 year lay off.

Paradiso was filmed by multiple cameras,including one on what looked like railroad tracks at the back of the floor. I heard unofficially that one of the big reasons that it was not released is that the audio had too much crowd noise that could not be repaired.

Biggest holly sh*t moment for me was when they played Spider and the Fly and Shine a Light for the first time. Also probably the best post-Taylor versions ever of Gimme Shelter and All Down the Line (which were officially released).

Date: March 7, 2008 17:17

Great info folks.
hey I didn't know they broadcast the 2nd show on the museum square.
there must be some pics of that gathering.

now that sounds familiar, doesn't it?

Scoring tickets in the morning and the gig in the evening.
how where thoese few tickets distributed?
did you have to fill out a lottery while doing a cartwheel?

I got married May 26 1995; IMO the only valid reason not to try to attend...
hard to argue with that. congratulations

good stuff - keep it coming

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: March 7, 2008 18:11

The second night, the security crew tried to send me up to the balcony as they were obviously trying to keep all the young women in the floor section. I complained loudly that they were unfairly separating me from my wife (who was 3000 miles away in the US) and was eventually allowed to go onto the floor. So the pretty girls up front nonsense was certainly not invented by Martin Scorsese.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 7, 2008 18:38

from Dieter Hoffmann´s Basement News #13, June 1995:

Date: March 7, 2008 18:49

Way cool - thanks a bunch TooTough thumbs up

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 7, 2008 18:58

Ronnie came out with a beer in his hand and could hardly walk! HA HA!

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: March 8, 2008 22:31

Date: March 8, 2008 22:34

I was there both nights...didnt get in (almost) met Bernard first night...second night drunk with my sister by the video screen...so drunk! but taped it great show! cheers Open G!

Posted by: MTFan ()
Date: March 8, 2008 23:15

The Police seemed to be to exile the tall, the ugly and particularly
of models, hired from an agency, was placed right before the stage."[/quote]

I remember that.Disgusting!Familiar to pre-WO 2 @#$%& propaganda.
The Stones should have looked in the mirror.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 8, 2008 23:40

I almost won tickets through a contest on a radioshow. They asked for someone to play the intro to Angie through the phone. I called, got hold of someone who told me to get ready to get on the air. So I was sitting at home on the couch, nervous with my guitar on my lap and the phone in my hand. At the last moment he said, "Oh sorry, we already have someone on the other line..." sad smiley sad smiley

So instead I went to the big square with a bunch of friends. Which was a lot of fun too. smileys with beer

Date: March 9, 2008 00:58

Cheers Rooster smileys with beer
it's easy to get drunk when ya can't get in
tough luck - same to Koen.
but still fun spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-09 01:03 by open-g.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 9, 2008 01:01

I remember the disappointment when realising that nobody had managed to tap the screen-feed...either footage or audio - back in 1995. Thought the handheld recording was just while waiting for the 'real thing'.

Date: March 9, 2008 01:11

How does your recording sound, Rooster?

what else is there, bootleg-wise?
there's The Foottappers and Wheelshunters Club Gig

any more?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 9, 2008 01:14

open-g
there's The Foottappers and Wheelshunters Club Gig
any more?

That's the best one, open-g - the other bootlegs sound more distant - apart from the ones that's copied from the VGP release.
The first Paradiso concert is also available...in worse quality than the 2nd show

Date: March 9, 2008 01:19

I got three recordings
one recorded inside with lots of audience noise but fun

the foot tappers from the screen...funny boot
the video of the screen...great with the boot
me own tape.....not nice to hear yourself!

Date: March 9, 2008 14:17

how where thoese few tickets distributed?
did you have to fill out a lottery while doing a cartwheel?

The ticketsale was something else... The announcement of where the tickets would be sold was broadcasted on the radio at 10 in the morning. Fortunately someone got a local newspaper where said the sale would be at the milkyway (melkweg). So everybody ran to the milkyway at 6 in the morning. We stood there with around 30 people before the radioannouncement. After the radioannouncement things got scary, never saw so many people come together so quick. Police everywhere and a lot of dissapointed fans afterwards. Some people were trying to get to the door by jumping in the water. We all got a wristband for either the friday or the saturday.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 9, 2008 14:37

If anything was to be released from the VL tour it should be one of those club gigs. I think Keith said that these were the best concerts they ever played at some point. When I watch the Stripped TV Special, which I do quite a lot, you can feel the band coming through the screen. It's so unbelievably great. I have that iTunes release of It's All Over Now, and it really kicks ass.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 9, 2008 19:06

I love that the place only holds 900 people but it seems like 5000 claim to have been there, lol

Date: March 10, 2008 20:52

Place normally holds 1200 people but on both nights with the stones about 500, this was mainly because the stones made the stage a bit bigger. They also made an extra balcony on the left side in front of the original one to ride a cameracar up and down. I have counted 24 camera's that night.About the crowd noise in paradiso: It was so loud, it sounded like there were 50.000 people instead of 500.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1390
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home