Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith has a house in Turks & Caicos?
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: February 27, 2008 23:53

I was just reading an excerpt of the Keith interview from Uncut, it says the interview was taking place at Keith home in Turks. I wonder why he would want a home there, he's already got one in Jamaica. I can see wanting to visit other islands, but I would think he would just rent a villa or stay at a friends house. Obviously, I know money's not an issue for him.

Jagger's a vain power freak, says bandmate
27/02/2008 - 17:41:00

Rolling Stone Keith Richards has branded bandmate Mick Jagger a “power freak”, slated the Led Zeppelin reunion and expressed regret over his past excesses.

The music legend – who famously claimed to have snorted his father’s ashes but later denied it – is now something of an anti-drugs crusader.

Asked what message he would send to his younger self, Richards told 'Uncut' magazine: “I’d have said ’Lay off the dope.’ That’s my advice now to all younger members who are into this sort of thing – oh, give it up, it ain’t really worth it. I know the fascination, but it ain’t worth it, pal.”

In the wide-ranging interview, Richards, 64, spoke about his relationship with Jagger, the band’s energetic frontman.

He said: “Mick’s a maniac. He can’t get up in the morning without knowing immediately who he’s going to call.

“Meanwhile, I just go ’Thank God I’m awake’ and wait for three or four hours before I do anything. He is a power freak and there’s nothing we can do about it. I don’t want to do anything about it. Let him bugger about. It doesn’t make any difference to what we do.”

Advertisement
The star was speaking from his home in the Turks and Caicos Islands to promote 'Shine A Light', Martin Scorsese’s documentary about the Stones.

Asked about Jagger’s on-stage presence, Richards retorted: “Excuse me while I laugh. He’s a bit vain, let’s put it like that.”

But he added: “We want a vain bloke up there, don’t we? Meanwhile, the band can go to work. Vanity will not carry a band. But a band can carry vanity.”

Asked about today’s music scene, Richards replied: “I don’t listen to what’s going on. I don’t like CDs, quite honestly. They sound tinny to me.”

And he said of the recent Led Zeppelin reunion: “They had one? Well, well done Jimmy and Robert. F*** off. 'Stairway To Heaven' don’t make it for me, baby.”

But he did have some kind words for Christina Aguilera, who joined the band on stage last year: “Very nice. Very nice chick. Nice bum.”

:: The full interview is in 'Uncut' magazine, out tomorrow.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Re: Keith has a house in Turks & Caicos?
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 27, 2008 23:56

>> "Vanity will not carry a band. But a band can carry vanity.”

smile: nicely said.
and yeah CindyC, he's had that place in Turks & Caicos for a few years at least.
someone (oldkr? someone like that) says he gave Point of View to Marlon.

ps: "but later denied it" - no he didn't. his PR people did, but he didn't.
but it reads like a benevolent sort of article - hope it's available where i live

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-28 00:01 by with sssoul.

Date: February 28, 2008 00:00

with sssoul
>> "Vanity will not carry a band. But a band can carry vanity.”

smile: nicely said.
and yeah CindyC, he's had that place in Turks & Caicos for a few years at least.
someone (oldkr? someone like that) says he gave Point of View to Marlon.

Thanks with sssoul!

I didn't know he POV to Marlon. I bet the grandkids love it.

Turks is supposed to be a very very nice island with some of the nicest beaches in the Caribbean.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 28, 2008 00:12

I believe his home there is on Parrot Cay - a private island.

And I did notice Keith in Shine A Light looking at Aguilera rather admiringly from behind...

^^Meanwhile, I just go ’Thank God I’m awake’ and wait for three or four hours before I do anything.^^

Classic Keith comment- what's the betting it was followed by a big husky laugh...

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: February 28, 2008 00:59

Interview doesn't seem to speak all that well for the current working relationship. I wonder what the latest band meetings have been like...

Meanwhile, I think the T&C pad (and Antigua before that, right?) has something to do with all those old spirits hangin' 'round Ocho Rios. I've had the impression that Patti was understandably concerned with some of the history there--dating back to Anita, but more recent scariness as well.

Posted by: sprandel ()
Date: February 28, 2008 01:31

Too many cruise ships go to Ochos Rios now. Also, Jamaica has a large population now and much more built up since he bought the place. He probably goes there for the culture, but not to get away. Its too easy for others to get there now.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: February 28, 2008 02:46

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-29 02:50 by ROPENI.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 28, 2008 04:46

Chatting with a fellow Canuck after the London concerts last summer. He, his wife and another couple go to Turks every winter, near Parrot Cay. Buddy was down at the local dock and a guy was sitting there waiting for a boat to pick him up after being dropped off by plane. Was Keith. Buddy came back just grinning - they had chatted for a few minutes. Fellow I met was still kicking himself that he'd missed it!

It's likely a lot less crowded than Jamaica, not a lot of tourist as yet, and more expensive than a lot of other destinations. Maybe the privacy and the fact it's still less known is the draw.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 28, 2008 04:51

Turks & Caicos is a tax haven.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 28, 2008 04:53

BluzDude
Turks & Caicos is a tax haven.

Heh, heh, can't win 'em all! winking smiley

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 28, 2008 18:02

Turks & Caicos are in the Atlantic Ocean - the Bahamas, not the Caribbean. Just like how all those damn hurricane books and shit say Katrina formed in the Caribbean. She formed in the Bahamas.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: February 28, 2008 18:39

Hey skipstone, who cares, IMO it's all one giant tourist trap full of cruise ships and drunk upper east coasters/mid westerners (whatever, where ever it's snowing all the time) on a package deal... I quit going - to the greater Caribbean/Bahamas/Atlantic Ocean Area - A LONG TIME AGO. It's a bitch when an island has more tourists on it than natives... time to leave....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-28 18:40 by HelterSkelter.

Posted by: bluestar ()
Date: February 28, 2008 18:43

Thank you, Keith, for saying it so well:

"And he said of the recent Led Zeppelin reunion: “They had one? Well, well done Jimmy and Robert. F*** off. 'Stairway To Heaven' don’t make it for me, baby.”

I couldn't agree more - who needs 'em?? I must say, I doubt that Led Zeppelin could possibly "outsell the last Stones tour". They have to drag up those "reunions" to get any interest at all. Mick and Keith have had a volatile relationship for a long time - it seems to suit them. If Keith's bitter, I can't see it - thank God there's a Keith Richards still here, telling it like it is.

Date: February 28, 2008 18:45

Well who cares? That's similar to saying England and Ireland are on the same continent. It's geography. It's very simple and easy to get the geography right.

Date: February 28, 2008 19:06

Yeah, alright, geography is very important, I agree.... it's just when it comes to "that area" I guess I have a who cares attitude cause it's SO ruined with masses of package deal tourists that it makes Hawaii look virginal....

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: February 28, 2008 19:17

skipstone
Turks & Caicos are in the Atlantic Ocean - the Bahamas, not the Caribbean.

There has been talk over the past 20 years about Turks & Caicos somehow becoming part of Canada or some type of association thereof.

Date: February 28, 2008 19:17

I understand what you mean with the touristas, It's just that whole thing like saying Michigan and Ohio are part of the Midwest when in fact they are further east than Louisiana...and they're really in the (greater) Northeastern part of the country and the Midwest is actually Iowa, Colordao, Dakotas, blah blah blah...Louisiana is considered the Southeast...Pensacola, FLA is in the Central time zone...Michigan is in the Eastern...

It's just weird.

The bit about Bahamas/Caribbean about Katrina that irks me is how it's been said wrong where Katrina came from but Andrew - almost the same path, somehow didn't originate in the Caribbean. So how come they get it wrong? LAZY. That's what it boils down to.

Like the Stones on the Bang tour - LAZY. Play the warhorses, don't play something really fu*cking cool like She Saw Me Coming or It Won't Take Long or Let Me Down Slow or etc....

Awright, I'm off it now.

Date: February 28, 2008 19:26

Good points skipstone, gotta agree....

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: February 28, 2008 20:38

skipstone
Well who cares? That's similar to saying England and Ireland are on the same continent. It's geography. It's very simple and easy to get the geography right.

My recollection from geography class is that Ireland and England ARE on the same continent.

Posted by: David Neal ()
Date: February 28, 2008 22:24

ive been to turks and seen his house from afar...it's right next to Christie Brinkley's, Bruce Willis and Donna karen...4 house's in a row....was spotted when i went snorkeling...pretty cool

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 28, 2008 22:40

"He said: “Mick’s a maniac. He can’t get up in the morning without knowing immediately who he’s going to call.

“Meanwhile, I just go ’Thank God I’m awake’ and wait for three or four hours before I do anything. He is a power freak and there’s nothing we can do about it. I don’t want to do anything about it. Let him bugger about. It doesn’t make any difference to what we do.”

I've seen Keith's comments on the difference between Mick's attitude to life and his own in almost exactly those same words in at least one other interview - can't remember where or when I'm afraid, but there's nothing new there.

Date: February 28, 2008 23:47

Ah, well, there is a little body of water seperating them. That's that point. I know they are part of Europe. But the water....it's why they are not the same name. Among other reasons har har...

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: February 29, 2008 00:14

It's geography. It's very simple to get the geography right.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: February 29, 2008 16:25

bluestar
Thank you, Keith, for saying it so well:

"And he said of the recent Led Zeppelin reunion: “They had one? Well, well done Jimmy and Robert. F*** off. 'Stairway To Heaven' don’t make it for me, baby.”

I couldn't agree more - who needs 'em?? I must say, I doubt that Led Zeppelin could possibly "outsell the last Stones tour". They have to drag up those "reunions" to get any interest at all. Mick and Keith have had a volatile relationship for a long time - it seems to suit them. If Keith's bitter, I can't see it - thank God there's a Keith Richards still here, telling it like it is.

Yes, who needs "Stairway to Heaven" if he's got "Wingless Angels"...?

Date: February 29, 2008 18:17

Well, quite frankly, I'd rather sit on the beach anywhere in the Bahamas or West Indies than listen to Stairway To Heaven one more time - in any manner. If I never hear it again it'll be too soon.

Date: February 29, 2008 18:20

skipstone
Well, quite frankly, I'd rather sit on the beach anywhere in the Bahamas or West Indies than listen to Stairway To Heaven one more time - in any manner. If I never hear it again it'll be too soon.

AMEN!

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: March 1, 2008 00:12

ourgh ! Keith stays on a british government island ! not rock'n'roll

So lonely. desolation island kit not with you Keith ?

Not a reason for bashing Mick and Zepp.

Date: March 1, 2008 00:34

I'm really embarrassed that I didn't know about Keith's house there, how could I have missed that. When I googled it, there were tons of mentions of it.

Coincidentally, I got a check today from the Parrot Cay tourist board for some marketing we did for them.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: March 1, 2008 04:48

..... you may want to consider gettin' a medical checkup, have the doc shine the light inside your ears right away.......

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 1, 2008 10:41

CindyC
I'm really embarrassed that I didn't know about Keith's house there, how could I have missed that. When I googled it, there were tons of mentions of it.

no worries, cindy, i didn't know either. is point of view in jamaica?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1461
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home