Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Enjoy the CYHMK video on Youtube from the last O2 show
Posted by: R ()
Date: January 16, 2008 16:35

AWESOME! Best modern day version I've ever seen or heard. Mick finally composed a harmonica part that fits with the song. His interplay w/ Darryl near the end of his solo finally justifies the existence of the harp in the song.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 17, 2008 15:59

>> "Oops, Mick, is your harp in the right key?" <<

smile: great question! is that what we're witnessing: what the greatest rock & roll band in the history of everything
does when - yikes! - one of the soloists has the wrong harp? if so: freakin amazing - go baby go :E

and FSW ... you're right, i don't feel compelled to enjoy everything; i just try
to keep my mouth shut once in a while when i see people really digging something i don't get,
especially when i don't have anything to offer them in exchange for the joy i'd be deflating for them:
some worthwhile insights - something better to get into - something to increase their appreciation of the music.
after all, the cool part of being a connoisseur is responding to what's beautiful, and sharing it.
merely failing to enjoy stuff is like ... jeez, i can do that at the post office, you know? :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-17 17:09 by with sssoul.

Date: January 17, 2008 16:28

>> "Oops, Mick, is your harp in the right key?" <<

Mick has never used the harp in the "right" key for CYHMK. By "right" I mean the traditional five notes-difference between the key of the song, and the key of the harp. IMO, that's what makes his solos on this song so great. If you listen to the 2002/2003-shows you'll see what I mean. This time he just wings it more, and with great results IMHO.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 17, 2008 16:52

[smile:] yayy, another good theory shot to hell! i love it :E
thanks for pointing that out, DandelionPowderman - i'm aware of the "usual" cross-harp key thing,
and now i'm curious: what key is he in here, and what key is the number,
and does that relationship have some kind of tradition behind it?

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: January 17, 2008 20:03

RW solo - there is no continuity with the solo - He tries and copies MT's triple stops and plays octaves up and down the frets without any real sense of fluidity and can,t take the solo anywhere like always with his playing.

play that guitar boy

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: January 17, 2008 23:29

with sssoul,

sorry for this late come-back. Busy days these, in the post office.

"failing to enjoy" ???
It was fun to watch.
It was kind-of charming on the night. BUT (The Biggest But ......... )

I'm not under any illusions that it's a great harp solo and a great guitar solo.

Let's have fun at post offices. ('I said, "You can't Always Post what you Want"..)

And OpenG - about time too! I was wondering when you'd turn up! Too much mail to sort these days?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-17 23:31 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: jimpietryga ()
Date: January 18, 2008 02:02

Thanks for the Utube post....it was a great memory.....hard to believe it's been 5 months.....

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 19, 2008 11:11

Loved it when I was there and loved this too.
If you check for Honky Tonk Women from the same gig you see my skull cloth in the middle of the b-stage (The DVD I have of it also shows my arm throwing it up there). When they are almost back at the main stage Mick steps on it and looks down (Like it was a turd or something). Then he kicks it backwards towards the drums. grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1859
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home