Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

some pics i never seen before
Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: January 15, 2008 00:59

click on the pics and they're larger

[recordmecca.blogspot.com]

Re: some pics i never seen before
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 15, 2008 01:16

Neither did I althoug the last one (familie) give me some memory back

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: January 15, 2008 01:39

.....so Nico, did you ever contact your friend from Madagascar?

Posted by: dixiecup ()
Date: January 15, 2008 16:30

the third shot with brian with the child on his lap looks like india - was brian ever in india? very cool shot. thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-15 16:32 by dixiecup.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 15, 2008 16:50

Highly doubt that 'family' pic was taken in Ethiopia.

Date: January 15, 2008 19:06

His Majesty
Highly doubt that 'family' pic was taken in Ethiopia.

how can you tell? so, are you saying that the folks in the picture are ethiopians?

look at their dress and hair very closely. the elephant statuettes at his feet are another small clue. im not sure that this is shot in india. but im pretty sure this is an indian family.

im intrigued. anyone know more about when and where this was shot?

[bp2.blogger.com]

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: January 15, 2008 19:25

Not Northern Africa: the family, the bungalow and little statues suggest it's India.

Date: January 15, 2008 21:33

I am saying I don't think that was taken in Ethiopia and that the family looks Asian.

I'm sure the original Christies auction that these photos were part of said where it was taken. My memory is that it was either in India or a neighboring country, but I can't really remember what it said. confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-15 21:38 by His Majesty.

Re: translator's note :E
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 15, 2008 21:47

HM, i have a feeling that not everyone understands how Ethiopia got into the conversation -
on the site ghostryder13 gave the link to it says that's where the second and third shots were taken.

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: January 15, 2008 21:47

Bangla Desh

Date: January 15, 2008 21:51

Sri Lanka maybe?

Date: January 15, 2008 21:54

ah the wonders of google: [query.nytimes.com]

Brian Jones: A Spaced Oddity
Published: December 7, 2003

To the Editor:

Joe Queenan's review of According to the Rolling Stones (Oct. 19) reminded me of an experience I had in the 1960s.
I had gone to Sri Lanka to interview Arthur C. Clarke for a New Yorker profile. This was soon after 2001,
and Clarke was rapidly becoming something of an icon. One evening he had set up his Questar telescope
on his front lawn in Colombo so we could look at Saturn's rings. Just before we began this activity
there appeared at Clarke's doorstep Brian Jones, with one of the most incredibly beautiful women I have ever seen.
I guess he was paying some sort of devotional visit. In any event, he was invited to look at Saturn's rings.
"Way out," he commented. A few months later he was dead.

Jeremy Bernstein
New York

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-15 21:59 by with sssoul.

Date: January 15, 2008 22:13

beautiful, ms sssoul - thanks. two of my heroes in one sentiment. sweet.

as a writer i train my eye for detail.

to close out the matter -

further surmises i had on this:
the machine cut wood that serves as a pillar of the verandah suggests a coastal town. in those days in the rural interior this sort of machine cut wood pieces would be rare to find. coastal towns have more access to man made stuff of all sorts

the earth is hard to say could be fine coastal sand

the white background and lack of landscape could suggest an ocean nearby

dress - very typical of coastal folk of the south. maybe sea fishers

palm leaves thatched roofing - this pattern is very often seen in india.

the man of the house wears sandals - they were not the poorest

elephant statues - some slight affluence

so...is it india or elsewhere? sri lanka? guyana? fiji? caribbean? these are guesses.

but now we know.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-15 22:18 by dixiecup.

Re: translator's note :E
Date: January 15, 2008 22:32

with sssoul
HM, i have a feeling that not everyone understands how Ethiopia got into the conversation -
on the site ghostryder13 gave the link to it says that's where the second and third shots were taken.

Ah, yeah that explains the confusion.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 16, 2008 01:26

Brian Jones was very fond of Sri Lanka - Bill Wyman wrote more accurately in his memories: "his dear Ceylon".

However, at least one top hotel in Kandy refused him a room because of his hippy look.

Last year, in summer 2007, I went for a short visit to Colombo and stayed at the historic Galle Face Hotel, facing the Ocean.

When checking in, two guys were talking besides the desk. One had a Licks Tour T-shirt. Just a coincidence.

Date: January 16, 2008 06:00

my dear ceylon 1971
i was less than five and with my folks. here are my faint memories(washed up in a roadside mist). we spent time in a huge concrete bungalow in colombo that belonged to dads friend. the front had a big circular concrete pond filled with fish. one of them bit my big toe cos i liked to go wading in it. the rains poured well and we were caught on the streets. we walked along the streetside in a row of made up stalls covered by plastic sheets to keep the rain out. we rode big red double decker buses around colombo. we flew out in the last row (you can see the empty rows of a plane when it takes off when you sit back there) of an empty boac 727 which had less than 20 people on it. the kind lady kept coming back to me with desserts of cake and syrup. thanks to you guys - i add it to our diary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-16 06:01 by dixiecup.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1490
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home