Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Their Satanic Majesties' Request
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 16, 2007 05:50

40 years since its release, Their Satanic Majesties' Request is (IMO) still one of the most under-rated Stones albums. It has aged very well, I think, and when you set aside your pre-conceptions of what a Stones record should be like, you realize that it is a wonderful, beautiful, and intricate record.

Here is what I'd recommend, if you haven't listened to it for a while:

1) Find a secluded location in your citadel where you can be by yourself and no one will disturb you.

2) Grab your best pair of headphones, and a copy of the ABKCO super-audio remaster of this album (it has to be the remaster, by the way ... the earlier CD release is sonically worthless)

3) Turn out all the lights, shut the blinds, shut the shades, and tell the neighbors you'll be gone for days.

4) Light at least half a dozen scented candles, and 2 or 3 incense sticks.

5) Fire up a large doobie (optional), taking care to inhale deeply.

6) Press play, and let the music transport you far, far away. At the end, you will feel better than if you had spent a week in some expensive resort.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-16 06:27 by drewmaster.

Re: Their Satanic Majesties' Request
Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 16, 2007 06:07

It's a great album, all except the meandering (but still listenable) "See What Happens". The production, songs, and performances are great, and unique. Since the Stones never bought into the the sillier or more idealistic aspects of the psych era, keeping their usual distance, the songs are mostly as sharp, ironic,
even satirical (2000 Man, On With The Show), as usual. and imo Satanic is one of the 10 or 12 best albums of '67.....And the remaster just shimmers.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: December 16, 2007 07:19

for some reason i preffer listening to the mono version of the album ,probably because i'm not fond of one channel vocals .

Posted by: The Biggest Bong ()
Date: December 16, 2007 07:54

this and Live Licks are the only stones albums i dont own

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 16, 2007 08:37

That is satanicly sad....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 16, 2007 11:55

Is photobucket down Rockman ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-16 13:05 by NICOS.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: December 16, 2007 12:09

I like this album a lot. Must listen to it today again. Ok ...Where's that joint?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 16, 2007 13:38

A great, great album. Great songs and great sounds. Also check the 8 CD set of outtakes. There you can hear the album could have been a lot stronger if the Stones weren't carried away in the mixing stage of the album. On the set of outtakes you can also heat that the album mostly is a keith Richards album, something I really didn't expect.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 16, 2007 13:45

franzk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like this album a lot. Must listen to it today
> again. Ok ...Where's that joint?

Here?

[www.iorr.org]

:-()

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1401
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home