Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
First Barbarians CD & DVD review
Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: October 30, 2007 16:41

Quick note on how I ordered this: I live in the US, it was actually a little bit cheaper to order this from Amazon UK, $28 with shipping, vs. as an import from Amazon US which would have been closer to $35.

It took less than a week to get it with the slowest and cheaest shipping from the UK.

First off, the sound is nowhere near as good as the Buried Alive CD from '79. That's a much better deal at $9.99 on iTunes even though there are a few more songs from "I've Got My Own Album to Do" on this one.

The liner notes mention the "modest" recording. This recording from 1974 has lots of tapes hiss, which isn't bad during the louder songs, but is pretty distracting from the slow ones. Really wanted this because of "Act Together", the performance is great, but the sound in the quiet beginning is very weak.

Outside of the consistent hiss, there are a couple of other little drops in the sound throughout. Again, overall the performance is really good if not great, but this is a fair bootleg quality recording at best.

As for the DVD which is included, modestly recorded is really an understatement. It's low grade early 70's video, which flickers and alternates between black and white (which looks better) and then suddenly switches to oversaturated color. Lots of video shaking and little color lines whenever the camera changes, think to when you watched shows you taped on VHS where the first few seconds were always wavy and funky.

Again, it is cool to watch the performances, kudos for even including it for the hardcore fan, but it looks like an 8th generation bootleg videotape that you would buy at a flea market.

Since this isn't on iTunes like Buried Alive (which really is a great deal at only $9.99 for 20 songs) and there's a bit of overlap in songs from this 1974 concert vs. the much better sounding 1979 recording on Buried Alive, I would say you really need to be into Ronnie's solo stuff to spend $30 on this.

Re: First Barbarians CD & DVD review
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 30, 2007 16:46

you mean the DVD really has footage of all the numbers listed?! far freakin out!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 30, 2007 16:57

So since Wooden Records' BURIED ALIVE was basically the Swingin' Pig disc given a legitimate release benefiting the artists and song publishers, THE FIRST BARBARIANS disc sounds like its doing the same with the old RETURN OF WOODY WOODBRAKER boot.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: October 30, 2007 17:04

I ordered mine at amazon.de for 3 Euros + shipping
Still waiting for it to be delivered...
Did anyone receive it after ordering it at this price ?

Date: October 30, 2007 17:14

Doc, have you checked your order status at amazon.de lately?
they cancelled my order, after sending me an email saying the item wouldn't be available until january.
a bunch of other people here got the same email, so ...

Date: October 30, 2007 17:17

>> The First Barbarians disc sounds like its doing the same <<

well, not really, if the dvd includes footage of all the numbers -
the footage available before this was from only about seven numbers.
(not that i see anything wrong with a release that benefits the artists/songwriters, mind you! high time)

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 30, 2007 17:49

I find it strange that Ronnie couldn't dig up the master for this concert.
What are they doing at Wooden Records & Co anyway....partying...24 hours a day ?
But even in the original bootleg quality, it's a major must...so no need to complain for me

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 30, 2007 17:50

speaking for the CD with hissy sound - it appears that Wooden Records did not have access to the original multitrack recordings and used either the boot CD or the source for the boot CD as source for this official release.

as much as I like the idea to release archive stuff in official way, I always believed that when artists themselves putting their material out, we would get considerably better quality than bootlegs, not just copies of bootlegs or same sound as bootlegs. funny, and maybe tragic, that Ronnie obvioulsy does not have access to original tapes anymore. are they lost? or is effort too much to search for them? who knows!

Date: October 30, 2007 17:51

Looks like we were thinking the same, Alimente

Date: October 30, 2007 17:53

Erik_Snow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like we were thinking the same, Alimente

thats what I thought too when posted my thoughts and saw your posting! we were not only thinking the same, but also the same at the same time! funny!

Date: October 30, 2007 18:05

Jimmy C Wrote:
> The liner notes mention the "modest" recording.
> This recording from 1974 has lots of tapes hiss,
> which isn't bad during the louder songs, but is
> pretty distracting from the slow ones.

well my impression from the bootleg was that it came from a tape which was professionally recorded, mixed down to stereo, copied to cassettes for the musicians involved and that one of these cassettes were copied again and again and again and then found their way to the bootlegger - this would explain the hiss. the recording itself sounds too good and too properly balanced to make me believe Ronnie just recorded the show on a cassette directly from the mixing desk at Kilburn. anyway, if the original multitrack masters (and later stereo mix masters) are indeed lost I would expect a bit more historical correctness in the liner notes instead of trying to make us believe that the original recording already sounded hissy like this!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-30 18:09 by alimente.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: October 30, 2007 18:40

Doc Wrote:
> I ordered mine at amazon.de for 3 Euros +
> shipping
> Still waiting for it to be delivered...
> Did anyone receive it after ordering it at this
> price ?

The only mail I received sait it was delayed.
But at the same time it said it may be already sent, since the status could change very quickly

They confirmed my order once when i made it, and twice with this email, they CANNOT cancel an order they already accepted as far as I know.
I will send them an email next week

Date: October 30, 2007 18:47

>> they CANNOT cancel an order they already accepted <<

sure they can - but anyway! good health to you

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 31, 2007 04:37

is the video footage the source of the audio, or has the video that's circulating had the hi-fi audio synced over it? (I hope my question is clear...)

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 31, 2007 10:26

I A/B's the first ('79) NB'sCD, & it sounds better imo thant the boot I've had forever...And it has a remastering credit in the booklet. Of course the encore JJF sounds deeply intense performance-wise, but clearly taken from another source, and sounds relatively poor which is too bad indeed.

Date: November 7, 2007 20:38

awRIGHT! my First Barbarians arrived today and the dvd *is* full of footage that hasn't been circulating!
i had to put it on pause for a minute to say this: it's beautiful! so far most of the "new" footage is black & white,
and parts are a bit wobbly, torn & frayed as footage from 1974 is wont to be, but it is *beautiful!*
i've always loved this show, and it's so great to see it! thank you Wooden Records ~ thank you First Barbarians!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-07 21:47 by with sssoul.

Date: November 7, 2007 21:00

Gee I feel left out...ordered mine from amazon US, and they just had me authorize a delay (yesterday it was the Faces reissues)

Date: November 7, 2007 21:02

Great to hear, with Sssoul, - every new note from Kilburn 1974 is welcome, it's a terrific concert

Date: November 7, 2007 21:46

whoosh - i just paused them again after that Monkey Man/Shirley -
i've always loved that number and on the bootleg it's rudely interrupted -
and here it is not only uninterrupted but with beautiful b&w footage too -
and ohh they are hot! it is ~*beautiful!*~ [flinging Barbarian popcorn all over the damn place]

Posted by: stonethobo ()
Date: November 7, 2007 21:57

Noone gets the CD/DVD for 3 Euro, believe me.

Doc Wrote:
> I ordered mine at amazon.de for 3 Euros +
> shipping
> Still waiting for it to be delivered...
> Did anyone receive it after ordering it at this
> price ?

The only mail I received sait it was delayed.
But at the same time it said it may be already sent, since the status could change very quickly

They confirmed my order once when i made it, and twice with this email, they CANNOT cancel an order they already accepted as far as I know.
I will send them an email next week

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: November 7, 2007 22:05

I don't doubt that they can cancel it.
However, it is just delayed at the moment. There seem to be shipping problems with the product worldwide, seems Amazon is affected as well.

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Date: November 7, 2007 22:05

Stonethro, finally a boy/girl I can relate to

Date: November 7, 2007 22:07

i got mine from Badlands: [www.badlands.co.uk]
everywhere else i checked seemed to be suffering from hold-ups, so i did like Rooster's sig line says :E
(people in the US might try this place: [www.caiman.com]
i ordered one for a US friend from them, and they say they've shipped it already)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-07 22:11 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Wizzard ()
Date: November 10, 2007 15:01

If you wanna have a record in a high quality with a good booklet and with interesting stories and various good artist interpreting Ronnie's songs I recommand you this page:

[www.kuriouskurt.com]

At least you get value for money there and not just a wooden record rip off, which is embarassing for Ronnie I reckon. And the Forever version on this record is better then the original.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 4, 2007 02:29

Nice video interview with Ronnie on the occasion of the screening of the First Barbarians here:

[208.79.203.9]

And by the bye, here's the first band signed by Ronnie which he talks about:

[www.thethirst.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-04 02:35 by Beast.

Posted by: Joss ()
Date: December 4, 2007 02:54

I ordered last week Caiman - A US-based seller on Amazon - for £10.25 + p&P & they sent it the following day. I'm in the UK so I expect it will arrive imminently

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: December 9, 2007 14:47

So I did the right thing, I got myself this CD as well.
It does sound a little bit better than the bootleg I once downloaded from the "Buy Sell Trade" section here.
Three questions:

The track "Crotch music" is attributed to Wood in the booklet. But on the first page there is a reproduction of what appears to be the original inlay to the "I've got my own album too". On that inlay the track is attributed to Weeks. So who wrote it?

If that inlay is indeed the inlay of the album, it states that Mick Taylor played along on the album. Was IORR recorded before or after the Wood solo album?

The DVD contains a song that is not on the CD. Do we now have the whole concert or were also other songs played?

Posted by: Rosto ()
Date: December 9, 2007 15:12

All lucky 3 euro buyers, be patient. My order will arrive it says. I just checked the status and it says:

Dieser Artikel trifft nach dem 25 Dezember 2007 bei Ihnen ein.

1 Exemplar(e) von: Live from Kilburn + Dvd [Import] [Doppel-CD] [Audio CD]
Von: First Barbarians (Künstler)
Verkauft von: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
EUR 2,99

- 1 Artikel Geschenkoptionen: Nein

Let it rock!

Date: December 9, 2007 15:15

Yeah I'm still waiting for my 3 Amazon copies. But I doubt if I'll ever recieve them.

Date: December 26, 2007 03:22

Don't know what Amazon wrote to me, but I guess it's bad news....
Could somebody please translate the main points into English?

---------

Guten Tag,

wir bedauern, dass wir eine Verzoegerung bei Ihrer Amazon.de-Bestellung ankuendigen muessen.

Leider koennen wir den oder die folgenden Artikel aus Ihrer Amazon.de-Bestellung (# 303-1597087-1904305) vom 04. Oktober 2007 21.45 MEST nicht wie vorgesehen verschicken, damit verschiebt sich auch das voraussichtliche Lieferdatum:

First Barbarians (K&#65533;nstler) "Live from Kilburn + Dvd [Import] [Doppel-CD]" [Audio CD] Voraussichtliches Lieferdatum: 29.02.2008 - 07.03.2008

Gleichzeitig weisen wir darauf hin, dass sich der Bestellstatus eines Artikels sehr schnell aendern kann. Es ist daher nicht auszuschliessen, dass Sie bereits vor dieser E-Mail eine Versandbestaetigung erhalten haben. In diesem Fall ist Ihr Artikel schon auf dem Weg zu Ihnen und diese Nachricht ueber die Verzoegerung gegenstandslos.

Sollte Ihre Bestellung weitere Artikel enthalten werden die vorraetigen Artikel automatisch versendet. Gerne koennen wir auch die bereits vorraetigen Artikel schon jetzt losschicken, wenn Sie uns online ueber "Mein Konto" den Auftrag dazu erteilen. Bitte beachten Sie, dass in diesem Fall Versandkosten faellig werden koennen.

Die verzoegerte Ware wird umgehend nachgeliefert, sobald sie bei uns eingetroffen ist. Sie erhalten dann eine E-Mail mit allen Angaben zum Versand von uns.

Blah blah blah blah blah

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1732
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home