Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...172173174175176177178179180181182...LastNext
Current Page: 177 of 374
Re: Some Kinda Stones Connections
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 8, 2015 03:26

ROCKMAN

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 8, 2015 10:44

Ohh wow - Rock Man my sweet, won't you please tell us something about that photo?

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: March 8, 2015 11:33

Hi Sssoul
Here's the original one grabbed from a magazine posted on an auction site.
Sadly I didn't recall which one.

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-08 11:36 by Honestman.

Posted by: Rollover1970 ()
Date: March 8, 2015 14:08

smiling smiley

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: March 8, 2015 14:14

Yeahhh Rollover and here's the review from it that Stonedkoala
kindly sent to me, all the credits should go to him !

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-09 18:48 by Honestman.

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: March 9, 2015 23:22

(Always took candy from strangers)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-09 23:24 by Niek.

Date: March 10, 2015 09:52

Thank you, Honestman, Rollover and StonedKoala! Very cool stuff

Date: March 11, 2015 06:43

THE AUSTRALIAN -- 11 March 2015

ROCKMAN

Date: March 14, 2015 09:07

DOWNBEAT -- February 2015

ROCKMAN

Date: March 17, 2015 00:46

.......................................................... .......................................................................................... 1964 - 2014

ROCKMAN

Date: March 19, 2015 10:19

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 19, 2015 12:06

Thank you Rockman. I didn't know Barbra Lynn before seeing your post. I listened to her music and she is great.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: March 19, 2015 12:21

Hey that's cool rollmops -- pleasure ta help

ROCKMAN

Date: March 19, 2015 22:25

ROCKMAN

Date: March 20, 2015 05:06

WHOOOOOO ... Sun 7"s.... A Street Fightin' Man and a Black Patti
Now that's not a bad lotta records ....

RECORD COLLECTOR 438 -- March 2015

ROCKMAN

Date: March 20, 2015 07:40

RECORD COLLECTOR 438 -- March 2015

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 20, 2015 09:19

In the past few days non of the images embedded in Rockman's postings are being displayed. Other images seem OK

Anyone else got this problem?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: March 22, 2015 02:11

ROCKMAN

Date: March 22, 2015 02:43

ROCKMAN

Date: March 24, 2015 23:50

National Music Centre restoring mobile studio used by Rolling Stones

A legendary studio on wheels that was owned by The Rolling Stones is being restored by technicians at the National Music Centre in Calgary.

The 'Mighty Mobile', as it was called, recorded dozens of rock classics and will be part of the new National Music Centre (NMC) scheduled to open in East Village next spring
"It's a magical experience to even be in it," said John Leimseider a technician with the NMC.

Leimseider remembers well the first time he entered the 10-metre long truck and passed through the sliding studio doors marked with The Rolling Stones tongue and lips logo.

"I was kind of in awe, because so many things I had listened to had been recorded on it,” he said.

“I mean, I loved 'Sticky Fingers' when it came out. I thought that was the best thing the Stones had ever done and played it to death. And most of it was recorded with this truck.”

"It just has a vibe to it."

Stones wanted to record anytime, anywhere

Leimseider says in 1968 the Rolling Stones' keyboardist at the time, Ian Stewart, came up with the idea for a mobile studio. The band wanted to be able to record anytime, anywhere.

"The Rolling Stones Mobile was the first professional mobile multi-tracking recording studio ever. And that's an important piece of music technology," said Andrew Mosker, NMC president and CEO.

Albums that still rate as rock n' roll masterpieces were made with the souped up truck, including 'Sticky Fingers' and 'Exile on Main St.'

Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley, Fleetwood Mac and David Bowie, along with many other artists, made music with the recording equipment.

Deep Purple immortalized the studio in their rock classic 'Smoke on the Water', referring to it as the "Rolling truck Stones thing".

"There are [sic] so many great bands that recorded with this. It's just crazy," said Leimseider.

"I mean the fact that it's been out of commission for 20 years is kind of wrong. You can't leave this truck parked somewhere."

That might have been the mobile studio's fate had Leimseider and others at the NMC not intervened.

About 15 years ago, they heard through the grapevine it had ended up in New York State.

"We heard it was for sale and we raised the money to acquire it. And it ended up in Calgary in 2001," said Mosker.

Mosker said it cost about $200,000 US, and is now worth at least $1 million.

"That was a deal for an important piece of rock n' roll history. For us back then it was an investment in our collection," he said.

Painstaking restoration

The job of restoring a piece of rock n' roll history is painstaking. Leimseider has been at it for about a year and a half.

"A lot of it has been just you know, grunt work. You sit there and you plug into every input and check every output from every channel," he said.

"We're not trying to make it a modern studio. We want to keep it as intact as possible. It's a very conservative restoration. But we also want it to work really well and as reliably as possible."

The NMC wants artists to be able to use the recording truck, which includes a Helios console and a 24-track two-inch tape recorder.

"This sort of forces you into a different way of recording and I think the bands that do that are going to gain something out of it they can't get any other way," said Leimseider.

The truck will be installed next to the restored King Edward Hotel.

Musicians will able to record with the historic studio live off the floor of one of Calgary's legendary venues.

"There is something to be said for recording in a sacred space," said Mosker

[www.cbc.ca]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 28, 2015 15:35

Richmond and Twickenham Times, Friday 27th March:

Date: March 29, 2015 22:58

THE AGE --- 30 March 2015

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: March 30, 2015 01:29

Now until Jun-21-2015

Portrait photographer Anton Corbijn doesn’t much like to look back at his work in the music industry. But for the Hague Museum of Photography’s forthcoming exhibition 1-2-3-4 he has done just that. Searching his archive, he has selected more than 300 shots of bands and singers: everybody from Nirvana, U2 and Nick Cave to Siouxsie Sioux, REM and the Rolling Stones. Many of the photographs are now going on show to the public for the very first time.

Anton Corbijn (b. Strijen, 1955) has had a major influence on international music and portrait photography. The creative, off-beat way he has photographed performing artists since the 1970s has become his personal trademark. His striking portraits strip away the mask, often at lightning speed, to reveal another aspect of the subject’s personality. Or, indeed, they impose literal masks, as in the case of the Rolling Stones, U2 and Arcade Fire, to lend the subjects an almost mythic aura.

Even without masks, however, Corbijn’s photographs always have an air of mystery. Time and again, he endows his work with an extra layer of complexity by the way he depicts the subject and through the use of an array of photographic techniques. The physical setting also plays an important part in his work. Most of his photographs are taken outside the studio and are loosely staged. For this exhibition, Corbijn has selected from his archive dozens of works in which the background location is important.

Corbijn regards himself as a cross between a traditional portrait photographer and a documentary photographer out to record people in their own physical surroundings and social circumstances. Inspiration for the dramatic effects he achieves in his photographs, including their strong contrasts and graininess, came in the 1970s from the determinedly unorthodox documentary photographs of people like Ed van der Elsken and Koen Wessing.

Lasting partnerships of the kind that he has had with many singers and bands are a rarity in the music world. His working relationship with U2 and Depeche Mode (DM), for example, goes right back to the early eighties and there is good reason why Corbijn is often called the fifth member of U2 or the fourth of DM. The pictures, album covers and video clips he has produced over the years have had a major influence on the images of those and many other bands.

For Depeche Mode he has gone further, designing not only the band’s logos and record covers, but also (since 1993) their stage sets. Corbijn’s work for DM will be displayed separately in this exhibition and presented as a single great Gesamtkunstwerk. In 1980 Corbijn was briefly on the road with female punk group The Slits. His reportage now goes on show to the public for the very first time.

These days, Corbijn is more than just a photographer. His work as a director of music videos (since 1983) and feature films (since 2007) takes up an increasingly large proportion of his time.

Supported by G-STAR RAW.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Both exhibitions will be accompanied by a catalogue (1-2-3-4 at the Hague Museum of Photography & Hollands Deep at the Gemeentemuseum Den Haag).

(Always took candy from strangers)

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 30, 2015 15:28

Impressive retrospective of photographer Anton Corbijn in the Gemeentemuseum in The Hague - The Netherlands.

It is unfortunately in Dutch but enjoy the images.

Date: March 31, 2015 11:13

MOJO 257 - April 2015

ROCKMAN

Date: April 1, 2015 12:11

.................................................. Marquee Club rehearsals -- 26 March 1971 -------- Homer Sykes

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-02 20:40 by Rockman.

Date: April 2, 2015 04:36

MOJO 257 -- April 2015

ROCKMAN

Date: April 2, 2015 11:49

Rock Man honey, I believe that restful shot from the Marquee rehearsals was taken by Lauren Margolis
(at least that's what I've got in my files)

Date: April 2, 2015 12:59

UNCUT 216 --- May 2015

ROCKMAN

Date: April 2, 2015 20:55

UNCUT 216 --- May 2015

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...172173174175176177178179180181182...LastNext
Current Page: 177 of 374

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2005
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home