Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...166167168169170171172173174175176...LastNext
Current Page: 171 of 373
Re: Some Kinda Stones Connections
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 15, 2014 11:20

........................................................................................................... Afternoon show Kooyong, Melbourne - 17th February 1973

ROCKMAN

Date: November 17, 2014 05:18

ROCKMAN

Date: November 19, 2014 23:21

ROCKMAN

Date: November 19, 2014 23:26

Herald Sun -- 19 November 2014

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 19, 2014 23:27

Hey Rockee, Are you gonna tell us about the show and some insight to what you experienced with your stage access? Inquiring minds want to know. You looked great up there btw. peace

Date: November 19, 2014 23:33

...It's a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong story and ya probably wouldn't believe me but maybe when the dust settles ...

ROCKMAN

Date: November 20, 2014 23:12

.................................................................................................................................................. "Cookie"

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 20, 2014 23:23

Strange Cat Blues..............

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: November 20, 2014 23:33

Rockman
...It's a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong story and ya probably wouldn't believe me but maybe when the dust settles ...

Hi Rockman,if you got the time to tell it,we got the time to read it.Rockman on the Stones stage....got to be the ultimate "some kinda stones connection". Congratulations,Cheers and Legend!!!

Date: November 21, 2014 00:18

Herald Sun -- 21 November 2014

ROCKMAN

Date: November 22, 2014 01:31

HELLO! -- November 2014

ROCKMAN

Posted by: kitoise ()
Date: November 22, 2014 22:52

Hello Rockman!
Any possibility to post good quality scans of today (November 22nd) of NZ "Herald on Sunday" and "Sunday Star Times"?
Thanks in advance
Chris

Date: November 23, 2014 00:56

.... Would definitely if I had them Chris ...

ROCKMAN

Date: November 23, 2014 22:39

THE AGE --- 24 November 2014

ROCKMAN

Date: November 24, 2014 23:16

Gov’t Mule Covers the Rolling Stones’ ‘Monkey Man’
By ERIC R. DANTON

Gov’t Mule is marking its 20th anniversary by digging into the band’s live archives, which include an assortment of Rolling Stones covers. One of them, “Monkey Man,” premieres today on Speakeasy.

The jam-oriented rockers played the song as part of a Halloween show in Philadelphia in 2009. It’s one of seven Stones covers on “Stoned Side of the Mule: Volume 1,” which also includes versions of “Under My Thumb,” “Shattered,” “Paint It Black” and “Angie.”

“For Gov’t Mule’s Halloween shows we put on a disguise and afford ourselves the luxury of playing an entire set of someone else’s music,” singer and guitarist Warren Haynes says. “We had covered a couple of Rolling Stones songs here and there before, but it was a fun challenge to learn a whole set of their music. ‘Monkey Man’ has always been one of my favorite Stones songs.”

Drummer Matt Abts helps on vocals toward the end of the song, repeating the line “I’m a monkey,” which Haynes says is a good fit. “His voice is more similar to Mick [Jagger]’s than mine so it sounds very appropriate.”

“Stoned Side of the Mule: Volume 1” is due this week on Nov. 28 for the Black Friday version of Record Store Day. It’s the first of four live releases Gov’t Mule plans to release over the next several months. The Pink Floyd covers collection “Dark Side of the Mule” is due Dec. 15. “SCO-MULE,” a three-hour jazz-rock instrumental album recorded when Gov’t Mule played with John Scofield in 1999, is due in January. And Haynes and Co. are planning a March release for “Dub Side of the Mule,” a collection of reggae tunes featuring reggae veteran Toots Hibbert.

LISTEN HERE: [blogs.wsj.com]...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 24, 2014 23:28

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Date: November 25, 2014 23:37

The Vox teardrop bass guitar given by Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones to Billy Kristian of Ray Columbus and The Invaders during the Stones' tour of New Zealand in 1965.

Bass guitarist Bill Wyman quit the Rolling Stones 21 years ago, but a guitar that was made specially for him was a treasured possession of Kiwi musician Billy Kristian until last year.

The unique crimson bass guitar was one of two made for Wyman in 1966 by the English company Vox. Wyman gave it to Kristian, who was playing with Max Merritt and the Meteors on the Rolling Stones' tour of Australia that year.

It was stolen from his car in 1968, but recovered when police raided the thief's home because he was behind with his rent.

Kristian had to sell it when he was down on his luck in Singapore two years later, but bought it back in 1981 after running into the buyer by chance in Melbourne.

He played it for years after that, until finally selling it last Christmas to British music manager Martin Kelly who has collected almost 100 Vox guitars and is writing a book about them.

"It didn't sound like any other instrument," he said. "There were no others like it."

Kristian, who at 71 now is seven years younger than Wyman, was born with the name Wiremu Karaitiana. He changed it when he moved from the South Island to Auckland with Max Merritt and the Meteors in 1962 and tried to rent a flat in the Orakei Basin.

"I told the landlord my name. He said, 'Are you Greek?' I said, 'No, I'm Maori,' and he said, 'We don't let to Maoris,'" he said.

"So I changed it to 'Kristian' spelt with a K, and the guy said, 'Are you Norwegian?' And I said, 'Yah, yah.' The name worked for me and it's managed to stay with me all these years."

He said Vox wanted Wyman to use the guitar because the band's original leader Brian Jones played a Vox and the band used other Vox equipment.

But Wyman played the instrument only once and decided he preferred his Framus guitar.

"He didn't like it," Kristian said. "When you're world famous -- even at that stage in 1966 they were world-famous -- you can do that."

"I asked him if he would sell it and he said no, he couldn't do that as he felt a responsibility to Vox to keep it," Kristian said.

But Kristian asked him again the next day when they were on a bus on the tarmac at Sydney Airport, and this time Wyman said he could have it as a gift. A roadie opened up the rear luggage compartment, revealing the two guitars, the crimson one and a green one.

"Just take which one you want," the roadie said. Kristian chose the crimson one.

Ray Columbus and the Invaders on tour with the Stones in 1965. Billy Kristian (back, far left) received the guitar from Rolling Stone Bill Wyman (second from left).

[www.nzherald.co.nz]

ROCKMAN

Date: November 26, 2014 02:31

SHINDIG! --- Issue42 ---- 2014

ROCKMAN

Date: November 26, 2014 09:48

ROCKMAN

Date: November 27, 2014 06:18

THE BLUES MAGAZINE NO17 --- November 2014

ROCKMAN

Date: November 27, 2014 06:53

ROCKMAN

Date: November 28, 2014 00:36

THE BLUES MAGAZINE NO17 --- November 2014

ROCKMAN

Date: November 28, 2014 01:09

ROCKMAN

Date: November 29, 2014 22:28

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 29, 2014 22:49

Those were the Days Rockman!!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 29, 2014 22:52

Rockman

.................................................................................................................................................. "Cookie"

He seems to be saying: "Wut? Are we going to the vet instead going to the Stones concert?"

Date: November 30, 2014 02:38

Cookie's a proud Tortoiseshell lady .... haaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 1, 2014 16:58

Had a long, face-to-face chat earlier with a lady called Madeline Bell. She even gave me her card. 'You Can't Always Get What You Want' winking smiley

Date: December 1, 2014 22:53

ROCKMAN

Date: December 1, 2014 22:54

RECORD COLLECTOR 433 -- November 2014

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...166167168169170171172173174175176...LastNext
Current Page: 171 of 373

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1894
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home