Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8586878889909192939495...LastNext
Current Page: 90 of 373
Re: Some Kinda Stones Connections
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 7, 2011 02:28

PJ Harvey wins Mercury Music Prize for second time

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Some kinda Stones connection?..........over to you Rocky! winking smiley

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 8, 2011 10:48

............................... Many thanks to good friend Erik Snow for supplying the photo.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 8, 2011 14:31

Thanks for scanning, Rockman - cool photo....their guitars doesn't appear to be amped, tho. Maybe somebody reading this thread knows what TV show it was taken at ?

Date: September 9, 2011 01:50

.................................... Melbourne AGE - 7 September 2011

ROCKMAN

Date: September 9, 2011 02:05

............................................................... Advertiser 8 September 2011

ROCKMAN

Date: September 10, 2011 01:20

......................... Ziggy Marley - Wild And Free - Tuff Gong TGW006

ROCKMAN

Date: September 11, 2011 04:45

....................... Steve Cropper - Dedicated - A Salute To The 5 Royales - 429Records

ROCKMAN

Posted by: gagi ()
Date: September 11, 2011 11:17

Date: September 12, 2011 09:27

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 12, 2011 12:40

"Ask Keith Inside" LOL

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: September 13, 2011 11:09

.................. The Lords Of Altamont - The Altamont Sin - Gearhead Records RPMO83

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 14, 2011 16:40

September 14, 2011 7:24am | By Mary Johnson, DNAinfo Reporter/Producer

Elvis' first guitar could fetch hundreds of thousands of dollars at Guernsey's rock 'n' roll auction on Sept. 24 and 25, 2011. (DNAinfo/Mary Johnson)

UPPER EAST SIDE — Elvis Presley's first guitar is understandably old and tattered, the wood faded and held together by pieces of yellowed masking tape.

But it’s still exciting music fans.

On Sept. 24 and 25, the guitar will be part of a rock ‘n’ roll auction presented by Guernsey’s Auction House, which will include more than 1,000 lots of memorabilia, said Guernsey’s owner and president, Arlan Ettinger.

“We’re known for interesting, large projects,” said Ettinger, who founded the company in the 1970s.

In addition to The King’s guitar, the collection includes photos from famed Beatles photographer Astrid Kirchherr, John Lennon’s Mercedes station wagon (the last vehicle he owned), Michael Jackson’s moon-walking self-portrait, autographed images of legendary music stars that once hung in Manny’s music store in Manhattan, and six pieces of original artwork by Jimi Hendrix.

Ettinger estimates that Elvis’ guitar, for which the performer's parents paid just $10, could fetch $300,000 to $400,000.

In a previous auction, Guernsey’s sold two Jerry Garcia guitars for $1 million each.

“One could imagine that this guitar is worth as much if not more than that,” Ettinger said. “You’ve got to marvel at this guitar.”

One entire day of the auction will be dedicated to Beatles memorabilia, with Kirchherr’s images taking center stage.

Kirchherr met the Beatles in Hamburg, Germany, in the 1960s and became a friend and photographer of the band. She was even engaged to Stuart Sutcliffe, the so-called “fifth Beatle,” until he died at the age of 22 from a brain hemorrhage, Ettinger said. He got to know Kirchherr in the process of putting together the auction.

“She lives a quiet life,” Ettinger said of Kirchherr’s reason for selling so many items. “In time, I think she was ready to move on.”

Included in the collection of Beatles memorabilia are letters that Sutcliffe sent to Kirchherr, as well as 10 of Sutcliffe’s artworks, Ettinger said.

Hundreds of Kirchherr’s iconic images will also go up on the auction block, complete with the negatives and copyrights.

“That’s unique within the world of auctions,” Ettinger said. “There’s no precedent to point to.”

Ettinger said a photo of the Beatles from a lesser-known photographer recently sold at auction for $7,000. Given Kirchherr’s connection to the band and the inclusion of the copyrights, there’s no telling how much her photos could sell for, he added.

The auction will also mark the first time that artwork by famed guitarist Jimi Hendrix will be publicly sold, with six pieces going up for sale.

In addition, the auction will include roughly 600 autographed photos that once lined the walls in Manny’s music store, a favorite among celebrity musicians.

“Manny’s was a famous music store on West 48th Street in Manhattan,” Ettinger said. “It became very much a tradition that if you went to Manny’s… you left Manny with a picture of yourself, often inscribed to Manny by these celebrities.”

The tradition began in the 1930s, Ettinger said, and the autographs were often irreverent and casual — like one of the Rolling Stones in which the rockers drew conversation bubbles next to their heads, or the one of Bob Dylan on which he wrote, “Keep one eye closed at all cost.”

“Rarely does he autograph anything,” Ettinger said of Dylan.

Going through the photos from Manny’s was Ettinger’s favorite part of putting the auction together, he said. It was a group effort, as he and his staff gathered together to sift through photos and read the inscriptions.

“About four or five people had the fun of saying, ‘What’s in that box?’” he recalled with a smile. “These were pictures that hung for the world to see, in some cases for half a century, at this legendary music shop.”

The auction will take place on Sept. 24-25 at 82 Mercer St. in Soho. Bidders will also be able to participate online. For more information, visit www.guernseys.com.

More pics here: [www.dnainfo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-14 16:41 by Edith Grove.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 14, 2011 17:24

Rockman

{color=#FFFFFF}...............................{/color}

That's my trick

Date: September 15, 2011 13:35

............................... Cool Chuck boot gettin' around at the moment .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: September 19, 2011 21:41

Date: September 19, 2011 23:52

.......Hey Boston2006 many thanks for the above ....That line
about writing loads of 12bar blues really really made the day ..... Yeah Stones

ROCKMAN

Date: September 20, 2011 12:48

Best Foot Forward - Joe Satriani Interview - Guitarist September 2011
Words Simon Bradley & Jamie Dickson - Photo Jesse Wild

ROCKMAN

Date: September 21, 2011 07:16

Playing And Partying With The Stones - Jim Bream Star Tribune

[www.startribune.com]

ROCKMAN

Date: September 21, 2011 12:04

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 21, 2011 13:02

Bobby says "he & Keith still throw TVs out of hotel windows today?" eye rolling smiley

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 22, 2011 03:35

Joking . . ?!

Date: September 24, 2011 04:58

.,.... The Weekend Australian Magazine - 24-25 September 2011

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 24, 2011 09:09

Rockman

............................... Many thanks to good friend Erik Snow for supplying the photo.

really nice photograph. thanks. I can almost smell the excitment in the front row. lol peace.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 24, 2011 13:42

Richmond and Twickenham Times, 23rd September 2011

Date: September 25, 2011 10:50

Jagger takes a risk with SuperHeavy

By Alicia Quarles THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK — Mick Jagger and Eurythmics founder Dave Stewart acknowledge that they took a gamble when they decided to form their all-star band, SuperHeavy. They had no idea if all the group’s members, which include soulful singer-songwriter Joss Stone, Oscar-winning composer A.R. Rahman and reggae singer Damian Marley, would even have chemistry.

“We were just making music and if we didn’t like it, we wouldn’t use it,” Stewart said. “We just did it because we wanted to do an experiment, and that got developed and more and more developed until in the end, this record appeared.”

The result is a 12-track, self-titled album with a sound the group’s members say cannot be placed into any specific genre. Jagger’s legend was formed with the Rolling Stones and other successful musical collaborations, but he says none of that can be compared to his experience with SuperHeavy.

“Every time you get into a room even with the same people, it is different because people come up with different things. It was a really interesting collaboration. To be honest it was easy. It was really easy because we got things straight away. You are very soon encouraged,” he said.

Q What were you looking for in picking members of this group?

Jagger: One thing serious that we did think about, we didn’t want people with loads of entourages and that would have too big of egos. ... It is very quickly how human beings sort of adjust to each other’s temperaments and creativity. It is just like being in a cocktail party with a group of people. Either the cocktail party is going to go well or it doesn’t. It depends on the vibe.

Rahman: I don’t know why they called me, first of all. I thought maybe they wanted my piano playing or my keyboard, or a string arrangement.

Q Musically, you were all pushed, working outside of your usual genres. Mick, you rapped?

Jagger: I was just copying Damian. I do a little bit. I went toasting, we call it, but it is the same thing (as rap). Damian was doing this really good toasting, West Indian rapping, so I thought, “I could do that. It can’t be that difficult.” It actually was quite difficult. With a bit of practice, it is all right. It is a laugh. Stone: It is funny. Sometimes listening to Damian talk would give me a melody. ... It helped when I couldn’t come up with anything, I would just listen to Damian and have a little chat in the corner.

Q What was that first recording session like, getting all of these people together with different sounds from different backgrounds?

Jagger: The night before I said to Dave ... “Is this really stupid?” We always have songs going into projects. We make up songs when we are there. That is great, but we always have songs finished going in. I said, “We are going into this thing we have talked about for the last three months or whatever, and we don’t have any finished songs.” Dave said, “I know. It is really worrying.” But then Dave created this whole raison d’etre why we didn’t have songs. The raison d’etre for why we didn’t have songs was because if we had songs ... people would feel that it wasn’t their project as much. People wouldn’t participate and give as much, which is true. So we were all thrown in the deep end.

Stewart: What is unusual is having five writers who are songwriters, known for songwriting, all writing in the same room together at the same time. Writers are often known to be on their own, looking at the sea, out the window, with a pen or playing piano on their own. Then you have five people all staring at each other that are all used to writing songs, but that have to do it in front of each other now.

Q With all of these people writing, where there any divas? Who wins out?

Jagger: Joss and I did quite a lot of duets, so Joss would have a verse and then we would sing the chorus together and Damian would have a rap and we would come back together for the chorus.

Q All these musicians working together — was there sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll?

Jagger: For Joss there was lots of sex (laughs). She is the only woman so she has her pick. That is the sex part. Rock ‘n’ roll, yes. There was definitely rock ’n’ roll and drugs. I leave that mostly to Dave and A.R. I think.

Stone: A.R. was big on the drugs. Damian was tame. He was in there doing yoga and drinking wheatgrass or whatever it is called (laughs)

Date: September 26, 2011 10:31

Bill Wyman talks bass, Rhythm Kings and The Rolling Stones
Joe Bosso - 23 September 2011

Bill Wyman on stage with his band, Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings, in Monte Carlo, Monaco. © Pool/People Avenue/Corbis

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 26, 2011 10:51

Nice read .......thanks for posting RM

Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: September 26, 2011 12:03

This with Bill Perks is great. Thanks R !!!

Date: September 28, 2011 14:23

First lady of France superstitious re: pregnancy

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

PARIS — French first lady Carla Bruni-Sarkozy says she hasn't spoken much publicly about her pregnancy because she's been superstitious about it, and it's not interesting to the French anyway.

In an interview with British radio, the 43-year-old former supermodel turned singer says the pregnancy is “something very banal” — even if “great news” for her personally.

“I'm superstitious, so yes, I've been very careful,” she told BBC. “But there isn't much to say. So many women are expecting children and giving birth, and it's so uninteresting for French people.”

President Nicolas Sarkozy, who is potentially facing a tough campaign in France's presidential election next spring, married Bruni in 2008, less than a year after he took office. She has a son from a prior relationship, and he has three sons from two previous marriages.

Bruni-Sarkozy said “playing guitar and touring is what I miss most,” and she didn't discuss next year's presidential election in excerpts posted on the BBC website Monday. The full interview is to be aired today.

In a possible hint that being first lady isn't her favorite job, Bruni-Sarkozy was quoted as saying: “My dream life is just to go back to my job full time and be with my family. You know, regular dreams, common dreams that everyone has.”

The shy brunette, who once told an interviewer that her “gut reactions” are on the political left, also confided about what made her fall for Sarkozy, a brash and determined conservative: His knowledge of gardening. “When I met him, walking around the garden in the (presidential Elysee Palace), he keeps giving me all these flowers' names. He knows all the Latin names, all these details about tulips and roses.

“I said to myself: ‘My God, I must marry this man, he's the president and he knows everything about flowers as well. This is incredible.' ”

The Italian-born first lady also noted that her child is set to become the first baby at the Elyseé Palace: “I guess it's the modern world going into the French Republic, which is not bad.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-28 14:23 by boston2006.

Date: September 28, 2011 14:53

................................ EG Magazine September 2011

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8586878889909192939495...LastNext
Current Page: 90 of 373

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2097
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home