Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839...LastNext
Current Page: 34 of 374
Re: Some Kinda Stones Connections
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 6, 2009 00:27

Etta James - Keith Richards - Other End Club 1980

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 6, 2009 00:37

Great picture Rockman

Date: April 6, 2009 00:38

. wrong post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-06 00:40 by NICOS.

Date: April 6, 2009 00:39

. wrong post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-06 00:40 by NICOS.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 6, 2009 03:58

I've been looking for that picture...

At Last!

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: April 6, 2009 04:21

Wasn't that performance with Etta James on februari 9, 1981 at The Lonestar Café? (source Nico Zentgraf's website).

Date: April 6, 2009 13:14

Advertiser - 6 April 2009

ROCKMAN

Date: April 6, 2009 22:47

Chris Blackwell & Mick Jagger - Love Peace Concert - Kingston Jamaica 1978 - Photo Kate Simon

Taken from Chris Blackwell interview by Hooman Majd - Interview magazine April 2009

ROCKMAN

Date: April 7, 2009 12:15

BOOK*Reviews - Record Collector April 2009

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: April 7, 2009 19:42

Rockman

thats great two legends!...any audio out there from this show?

Date: April 7, 2009 19:45

Rockman

Advertiser - 6 April 2009
thats why wanted beck...and not Jimmy....foo the guitar hunt..aint beck a rolling stone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-08 02:57 by rooster.

Date: April 7, 2009 19:54

What about this new Tom waits project...this hip hop thing ...whats the name of it brother?...and is it any goood?...Cheers from the low lands!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 8, 2009 02:52

Rockman

Thanks Rockman - haven't seen this photo before; very cool

Date: April 10, 2009 04:00

Betty Harris .... Chill City organiser Mario Maccarone and MC Chip Monck

ROCKMAN

Date: April 14, 2009 12:06

Newpapers cuttings from 1986

ROCKMAN

Date: April 15, 2009 01:33

THE AUSTRALIAN - Wednesday 15 April 2009

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 15, 2009 11:25

Since I doubt if even the great Rockman reads the Radio Times:

Date: April 15, 2009 11:31

Hey I read everything from graffiti to palms .. But no I ain't seen the Radio Times .....

Many thanks for the input Green Lady ... Do you have a green thumb???

ROCKMAN

Date: April 15, 2009 13:31

Green fingers maybe...

Date: April 15, 2009 23:08

INTERVIEW - Marianne Faithfull by Evelyn McDonnell - Photo Paolo Roversi - APRIL 2009

ROCKMAN

Date: April 17, 2009 05:24

Anyone care ta translate interview .......

Italian Vogue - January 2009

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Muppet HiFi ()
Date: April 17, 2009 05:37

His Majesty
i've shopped in this store many times through the years!

Date: April 19, 2009 14:54

ROCKMAN

Date: April 19, 2009 16:58

Rockman
Anyone care ta translate interview .......

Thanks for the interview and the great pictures, Rockman.

Me and my Italian/Keithish dictionary had a go - lots of guesswork so any corrections from people who REALLY speak Italian would be very welcome. Bits marked (??) are phrases or sentences I couldn't make head nor tail of. Nice interview - I wish I understood more of the bit where he's talking about his mum.

An exclusive interview with the legendary “dark soul” of the Rolling Stones, who explains the origins of his passion for music, and why Elvis is not his favourite rocker, and reveals that, despite his “bad boy” image, he likes taking care of his kids.

A man possessed, with shamanistic powers, and thus perhaps immortal – if not, how do you explain his nonchalant survival of the excesses of life on the road, of arenas and hotels? There are so many mind-blowing stories – (??) – in circulation concerning the guitarist of the Rolling Stones. His is one of those journeys which “cannot be told in words” as was suggested by the recent Louis Vuitton campaign in which he appeared. A journey which has taken him to “World’s End” (the third ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ in which he played an uproarious father to Jack Sparrow/Johnny Depp). But beyond all the stories, there is one absolute truth: put a guitar in his hand and he’s a legend.

L’UV: You’re a rock & roll icon.
KR: Icon with a C or ikon with a K, like one of those little Russian paintings of a saint? Because I’m certainly no saint, I know that very well.

L’UV: With a C, like a person with legendary talent and style. Do you have an icon, who represents for you the most important source of artistic inspiration?
KR: The pure and simple answer is no – and yes. There’s a mixture of so many influences; a dish with lots of different ingredients. I could say Bach. I could say Beethoven. I could say Chuck Berry.

L’UV: Is there anything that connects them all? Didn’t Chuck Berry write “Roll Over Beethoven?”
KR: They were guys who knew how to compose music and how to play it and sing it. Wow. For me that was the most extraordinary thing. Chuck Berry IS rock ‘n’ roll. I was knocked out by the songs he wrote. I mean to say they probably represent the greatest body of work you could possibly imagine. And Chuck isn’t just rock‘n’roll: he’s blues and jazz and all the rest. When I listen to “School days”, “Too much monkey business”, “Little Queenie”, “Go Johnny Go”, they just blow my mind. But (there are other guys who are in there too) Buddy Holly was one of them, like Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson ... Elvis Presley was a goddamn brilliant rock’n’roller, no doubt about it, but he becomes less interesting when you consider the guys who wrote all their own stuff, expressed themselves. You know, for me it’s the idea of the complete package that beats simple performance hollow.

L’UV: An icon usually has – shall we say – a “picturesque” past. It seems as though everyone has a mind-blowing Keith Richards story to tell.
KR: Yeah, I keep hearing about these mind-blowing stories, and I keep asking myself: where the hell was I when they happened? (laughs)

L’UV: Perhaps we’ll be hearing some more in the future, in this autobiography you’re rumoured to be working on.
KR: I’ll try to remember! (laughs) We’re still deciding what kind of format to use. Don’t expect the usual phone-book of celebrity name-dropping. It’s not a book of sex-scandals, you know what I mean – even if – there’s a lot of sex in it!

L’UV: An amusing thing you did recently was the film “Pirates of the Caribbean”. How did you get on aboard “At World’s End?”
KR: Johnny and I have known each other for some time, since he first began working on this pirate series, and for a couple of years he’s been saying to me “You ought to do something in this” – and that’s how it happened. I got given a pair of pistols and a sword and some other stuff. It turns out that if you dress me up enough, I can play almost any part. I enjoyed it a lot and working with Johnny was very easy. We did a whole lot of laughing. I like the guy, and he’s a great guitarist as well. And then, it’s only a pirate story, isn’t it!

L’UV: But in spite of the rock’n’roll pirate’s life, you’re a pretty traditional guy, with solid musical values. You’ve worked in the same band for forty years. You’ve been married for some time, got four children, a pretty stable family...
KR: Living two different lives at the same time is really hell! (Laughs). You know in many ways I’m a bit of a Puritan, believe it or not, especially when it comes to music. I’m a pretty steady bloke with my family. I’ve always thought that if you’re going to have kids, you should look after them. If you treat them right, maybe they’ll take care of you – which is even better! But relationships – I’ve always wanted to be loved, and I’ve always believed that the only way to receive love is to give love...

L’UV: Did you inherit your love of music from your family?
KR: Yes. It’s inside me... probably in my genes. In my family we listened to a lot of music, at home there was always a record playing. People skipped around the place singing, saying “Hey, you gotta hear this!”: crazy about all the different kinds of music. My granddad was certainly one of those who turned me on to it: (?he couldn’t tell the blues from the greens?), but he knew his music.

L’UV: What kind of music did he play?
KR: Just music, friend. In the 20s and 30s he had a dance band: he played the violin and the saxophone. I can still see him now, following my grandma around the place playing “La Vie En Rose” – hoping to earn himself a shag! (laughs)

L’UV: And did your mother (who died in 2007) also have musical inclinations?
KR: My mother was 100% into music. I mean, after all she was my grandpa’s daughter. Music all the time. Even in England in the 1950s, when you really had to fiddle around with those radio knobs to find something decent, my mum always had music playing. This is exactly what we did. If we got bored, we’d improvise and start singing ourselves. Doing harmonies and all that sort of thing. It was always like this in our house.

L’UV: Italian mothers have a real bond with their sons. What about your mother?
KR: She was crazy – beautifully crazy. I didn’t think so at the time. You know, she was just my mum. I never realised how crazy she was. She had an incredible sense of humour and love of music. I mean to say, with a combination like that, you can't end up in a bad way! I could have grown up much worse (than I did). Perhaps there wasn’t much to eat on the table, I mean to say – we lived on a council estate. But our house was full of joy, laughter, music. Those are the things my mum gave me. I just sang something for her down at home – bless her.

L’UV:Are there any lessons about life you’d like to pass on?
KR: Let's put it this way, I am considering to do it. First, I have to learn the lesson though ... but when this will happen, for sure I will pass it on !

THANKS liddas for sorting out some of the bits I didn't understand.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-29 15:20 by Green Lady.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 19, 2009 17:12

Thanks for posting that article, Rock - incredible pics there.
and thanks Green Lady, for translating it. you did a fine job it seems.

Date: April 19, 2009 17:36

Not sure that Mick will enjoy reading this one...

(The Big Issue, April 13-19 2009)

Date: April 20, 2009 00:19

Thank you ever so much for translation Green Lady ... reckon ya nailed it ....Ta

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Muppet HiFi ()
Date: April 20, 2009 07:57

yo Rockman- this is a bloody fun thread!

it takes me a while for the posts to load cuz i still have dial-up (20th century type cat an all, i'm sure you understand), but i really dig how you post the actual articles and pics so everyone can view with links that may/may not work, very democratic, that!

anyway- thanks for the fun reading, man!

Date: April 20, 2009 08:08

WOW!!!! ... pullin' up 34 pages of Connections on dial-up ...
Geez that's slavin' ya compute .....Ya could end up an old man waitin for it ta load...But hey glad ya your enjoyin' Muppet ......

ROCKMAN

Date: April 20, 2009 08:12

Yes, these are great and thanks for the translation...fantastico.
[On those language websites mia madre c'era dentro di brutto translates as
my mother there was inside of ugliness ]?? Where are our Italiano fans when we need em?!
Anyway, something tells me we are going to see someday a Rolling Stones or classic rock collection/library ... near Melbourne?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839...LastNext
Current Page: 34 of 374

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2203
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home