Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

who's the man on the corner ? Jimi
Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: September 3, 2007 13:14

did Keith played at last a bit with Jimi ? at the end only you see Mick dressed and Keith with a guitar on pictures. Only Taylor jammed.

Re: who's the man on the corner ? Jimi
Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: September 3, 2007 15:14

seems as though keith was only making small talk with jimi and both were cracking up. i recall reading that mick was ignoring jimi because hendrix tried to hook up with marianne. i thought that it was interesting that hendrix was pretty much by himself and no one seemed to notice that he was there. mick taylor's gilligan sneakers were very chic...

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 3, 2007 16:01

jeff14 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

i recall reading that mick was ignoring jimi because hendrix tried to hook up with marianne.

That's pretty interesting seeing as when this video was recorded Mick had already has his affair with Anita. What a hypocrite.

Who's the girl with the long hair they keep showing?

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: September 3, 2007 16:26

That whole Rolling Stones dressing room sequence with Jimi Hendrix on November 27, 1969 is just utterly amazing:

1) It's actually caught on film by the Mayles brothers, such a shame it wasn't left in the "Gimme Shelter" film.

2) we see Jimi playing Taylor's red Gibson SG (strung for a right hander, of
course, so Jimi's playing it with the strings "reversed")

3) Keith can be heard on the film asking Jimi "...seen Linda lately?" Jimi says "no, you?" Keith says "no" and then they both break out laughing. My guess is that it was somewhat awkward laughter. (They are referring to Linda Lawrence, Keith's model girlfreind who accompanied him to New York for the 1966 tour and who Keith put up in a NYC hotel while he was out on the tour. From that hotel Linda went to Ondine's, a hot NYC discotheque, and saw Jimi performing with the Curtis Knight cover band. She banged him all week at her hotel and even lent him Keith's white Stratocaster for a bit. Linda brought Andrew Oldham to see Jimi perform, but Andrew wasn't interested in producing him at all. Andrew was pissed at Linda anyway, he knew Keith would be livid when he found out about all of this, which he did. A few days later she brought the Animals bass player Chas Chandler who was on tour in the USA with the Animals, and he was impressed with Jimi and the rest is history. When Keith got back to NYC he sent Linda packing and she hooked up with Jimi in London that fall of '66 for a bit)

4) That backstage visit by Jimi was on Jimi's 27th (and last) birthday.

5) That same night, after the concert, a birthday party was held for Jimi at producer Monte Kay's NYC flat. The party was organized by Jimi's chick, super groupie Devon Wilson, who also accompanied Jimi to the Stones show. Mick Jagger attended that party and left with Devon. Paybacks are a bitch as Jimi did blatently hit on Marianne right in front of Mick, back in late '66, early '67. Jim was pissed as hell when Devon split with Mick at that party. Jimi even refers to the whole thing in his song (and last single) "Dolly Dagger" where his line "she drinks the blood from a jagged edge, come on baby here comes your master" is said to refer to Devon's complete infatuation with Mick, the ultimate groupie score after all. In the same song he refers to Devon again with the rhyme "...come on Devon, give me a little bit of that heaven".

Now from my standpoint, that's just an amazing string of events!

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: September 3, 2007 17:35

waouh !!! very interesting Souldoggie. Very well informed you are.

Keith was lending his guitar to a groupie ? I cannot believe it..

Indeed I never read the Dolly Dagger lyrics but of course in my mind, it sounded weird and now I understand.. dagger jagged...

I had noticed that on the film Mick was completely ignoring Jimi (in the corner...).

Maybe Jimi was a bit naive about girls... bitches !
When you know that Jimi was left almost dead by a girl on his bed and could have been saved...

Date: September 3, 2007 17:42

souldoggie Wrote:

> 3) Keith can be heard on the film asking Jimi
> "...seen Linda lately?" Jimi says "no, you?" Keith
> says "no" and then they both break out laughing.
> My guess is that it was somewhat awkward laughter.
> (They are referring to Linda Lawrence, Keith's
> model girlfreind who accompanied him to New York
> for the 1966 tour

Actually, Linda Lawrence was Brian's girlfriend, she went on to marry Donovan Leitch.

Keith and Jimi both dated Linda Keith.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 3, 2007 17:43

>> They are referring to Linda Lawrence, Keith's model girlfreind <<

Linda Keith was the model who was Keith's girlfriend before getting involved with with Jimi.
Linda Lawrence was with Brian - the mother of one of his sons, if memory serves?

Date: September 3, 2007 17:43

smile: hi CindyC!

... and as long as i'm here:
>> Keith was lending his guitar to a groupie <<

Linda Keith doesn't fit my definition of "groupie" - she and Keith were a pair for a couple of years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-03 17:48 by with sssoul.

Date: September 3, 2007 17:47

Hi with sssoul!

Did you have a great time in London? I would have liked to have met you!

Date: September 3, 2007 17:49

smile: yeah you bet i did! were you there as well??
we have to stop doing this ships-in-the-night routine :E

Date: September 3, 2007 17:56

Oh good, I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

No, I wasn't there, I couldn't get a reasonable last minute flight. I'm hoping that won't be my last chance.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: September 3, 2007 17:57

Ooops, CindyC you're right, I meant LINDA KEITH, not Linda Lawrence!!!!!!!!!

Model and 60's London swinger, Linda Keith.
I'm a bit hung over this morning.

What I've heard is that Keith left several guitars at his hotel suite, along with leaving Linda Keith there. One of the guitars was a Strat. Keith didn't expect his chick or his guitars to be played with by a no name NYC musician. LOL.

I used to know the name of the NYC hotel, I'll endeavor the find it and post it.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 4, 2007 00:46

Interesting interpretations but the truth was and is quite different.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1694
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home