Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Dusseldorf reports and comments
Posted by: princerupert ()
Date: August 14, 2007 11:37

yes they play London next week. So I guess they're allready "going home". Flying to Hamburg and Dublin from London, both for one day makes sense.

P\R

Posted by: arizojp ()
Date: August 14, 2007 11:40

Photos NRZ.de / Daniel Ross

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: August 14, 2007 11:41

CousinC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The gig was good (although I've seen much better!)
> and the sound/ mix was good. Very strong guitar
> sound. BUT - that came from Ron, Blondie and
> partly Chuck.

very strong guitar sound came from "partly Chuck"??????
I think he has absolutely nothing to do with guitars.
please explain!

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: August 14, 2007 12:13

CousinC wrote: "Sorry but I must really laugh about some people."

Why? Just because all these people don't agree with you on Keith's play? Is that a kind of respect to the opinion of the others? By this logic they could laugh about you too and about your "5 or 6 musicians" you met after the gig, probably going to a nightly international musical congress that took place in Dusseldorf...

Posted by: bartfrombrussels ()
Date: August 14, 2007 12:16

Likewise BV and see you in Hamburg!

bartfrombrussels
Senior Food Critic IORR

?Remember Vilvoorde?
94 concerts & counting

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: August 14, 2007 12:23

CousinC Wrote:
> Sorry but I must really laugh about some people.
>
> Keith did hardly play! His face was all bloated
> and petrified looks.He looked very ill!I was
> shocked!
> Hardly any contact to his bandmates. No laughing
> apart from some professional glimpses to
> audience.
> And lets not talk about the playin. There hardly
> wasn't any . .
>
> Ron did cover up for him. And Very good!
> I saw lots of gigs and are musician myself. so
> please - don't tell me Keith was on.
> He had an absolut OFF day for shure. hope he's
> back next time!
> And yes - Silver was really great .His finest
> moment today. But he didn't even play on that one.

So when was the last time you had seen Keith play? Compared to earlier 2007 shows Keith was very good last night and so was the band. His playing is economical compared to 1982 or 1972, he plays less notes and strums less chords but he was OK last night.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 14, 2007 12:28

They were on fire!
Btw, thank you Chuck ;-)

Posted by: madmaxx ()
Date: August 14, 2007 12:29

Good heavens page 4 top right pic.

Looks like the lady kent keeps bumping in to.

Date: August 14, 2007 12:34

Looks a bit scaring here

Date: August 14, 2007 12:38

That's better

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 14, 2007 12:38

princerupert Wrote:
> yes they play London next week. So I guess they're
> allready "going home". Flying to Hamburg and
> Dublin from London, both for one day makes sense.
>
> P\R

According to the Morgenpost in Hamburg they will arrive in Hamburg

this afternoon and will stay until Friday. The 4 Jahreszeiten IS
NOT the hotel this time.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: August 14, 2007 12:40

compared to the keith he was in my eyes in frankfurt he was great last night.
the rest of the band also played very well, keith is the only one i think that maybe still has a little space left to improve.
nice guitar sounds from ronnie. he played so many different guitars, and therefor so many great different sounds, just great.

looking forward to see them in hamburg.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 14, 2007 12:44

How can you say that Ronnie is covering up for Keith? They play different styles and different parts of the songs and different guitars. I don't play guitar but on every song they have different jobs.

Was Keith drunk at the beginning of "Paint It Black", when he started up the song on his own front stage? Did Ronnie cover up for him then? Who played the JJF riffs or the Satisfaction riffs or the Rough Justice riffs or the Sympathy riffs?

May be you feel Keith looks older now - that thingt is called age - but he was certainly very sharp and certainly not drunk at all in Dusseldorf. Actually he was running back with the guitar both sides after having performed out on the wings.

Bjornulf

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 14, 2007 12:51

Keith was great last night. Photo by Detlef Neumann.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Adi Tyler ()
Date: August 14, 2007 12:52

Harm Wrote:

> That's better
>[i28.photobucket.com]

Aaaahh...Awesome!
Thank you!

Posted by: svendborg ()
Date: August 14, 2007 12:59

bv Wrote:
> [iorr.org]
>
> Keith was great last night. Photo by Detlef
> Neumann.

Sure he looks terrible on that photo ;-)

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 14, 2007 13:15

MAF Wrote:
> That's not a rabbit, that's a posted jpg of a
> drawing of a rabbit...
> (remember Magrite(?) "that's not a pipe")

(Wow.. I feel like I'm back in art school...)

It's not really a posted jpg of a drawing of a rabbit.

It's actually a bunch of glowing pixels on a computer screen, which correspond to the bit-information of the posted jpg, which was (probably) copied from the Internet; which was scanned from a reproduction in a book; which was a reproduction of a photograph of the drawing of the rabbit.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: August 14, 2007 13:53

To the above posters:

Indeed Ronnie does not cover up for Keith but Blondie does quite a lot. Please stop saying he carries it by himself because that is not the case. I don't mind if people try being optimistic on all acounts but when they start selling bs I'm through.
The main riffs of Wanna Hold You and Paint It Black are carried by neither Keith nor Ronnie. It was very obvious last night.

I'll give some impressions on the concert later on today.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: August 14, 2007 13:57

Thanks for the impression, Jorg. Would love to hear a more detailed review when you got the time for it.

Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: August 14, 2007 14:06

This was one of the best shows this year so far.
Keith was in better shape than at the beginning of the tour.

Date: August 14, 2007 14:50

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: August 14, 2007 15:00

"Classic" Ronnie's grimace!

Posted by: basti ()
Date: August 14, 2007 15:15

have anyone a great picture from lisa last night ?

Posted by: Finnstone ()
Date: August 14, 2007 15:16

Oh i'm back in Finland already after a wonderful 24hr whirlwind trip to sunny Deutschland.

I have to say that this show was much better than the only other show i've seen on this tour, Helsinki. The whole vibe was just better(maybe the 'sideways' stage and compact size stadium made it feel more cosy and it was darker). I guess Keith didn't have one of his better days in Helsinki but last night he was fully on it and i didn't hear any mistakes. Loved the PIB intro he did at the front of the stage.

Anyway I am still up in the clouds after being on the front row for the first time ever(and next to the catwalk). I managed to get a good place on the b-stage this time too and both people next to me got a guitar pick each(but not me). The sound was great at the front rail but a real jumble at the b-stage rail.

Thanks so much to my special German friends(G & A) and it was nice to meet bv and TE too. The security guards were good too, not too strict but kept order.

Ah All Down The Line and Let it Bleed are wonderfully still ringing in my ears.

You lucky people that are off to Hamburg now i'm so jealous!

Posted by: TE ()
Date: August 14, 2007 15:58

Great night etc,
Fired a small report over to Bjørnulf. Will hopefully end up at the DUS page.
Here are the "best of the worst" from last night. Will never get myself together and re-size them, or paste them in here.
[www.scandibar.com]
I have kept some of the worst ones as well. Just because the show something.
Like this one of Ronnie and Charlie. Look at the screen (Did-we-have-a-grand-night-or-what)
[www.scandibar.com]

If you don't have the speed - the only ones in OK quality are...

TE
Oslo

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: August 14, 2007 16:14

Some impressions:

- Stadium nicely filled up. They cleverly painted each chair in a different colour so that it always looks crowded even when empty, which from the floor makes it hard to see whether someone is actually sitting there. But still, the new layout was somewhat filled.

- Not a real Stones buzz in D'dorf. I admit being late and most people were already in when I arrived, but it was at the venue itself that I witnessed the first tongueshirt. Enthusiastic crowd in the Arena though. The floor was standing up all the time.

- There was still some queueing at the ticketchange counters at 20:00 when I arrived. Can't say if it was any problematic since I bought my ticket after the plans had been changed.

- Prohibited to bring any drink into the stadium. Last year in Cologne you were allowed bottles with .5 litres max. Now nothing. They really should cut the crap. Of course I smoggled in some water, because security is not willing to actually dig into your bag. It's not that I refuse paying for a sip, it's just that I don't want to have to leave my seat and get stuck with a non-closeable cup that your neighbours will kick over. Anyway, had I bothered to actually drink my water, it would have been removed by the heavily patrouilling guards. Come on, I mean, it's not Iron Maiden is it. Apart from that, they were friendly though.

- Stones time! They put on a very solid show, the sound was fine as the roof was open. Most of them did great most of the time. Although in the first part of the show Keith seemed a bit pissed off (as in angry, not drunk). His smiles came about later though. One shot showed a not too friendly Chuck as well. I do get the feeling some are glad to be doing something else for the odd year soon.

- The surprises come in the first halve. Although for fans they're not real surprises as we all know. But also for the semi-fans who decide to go twice, e.g. Nijmegen and Düsseldorf, it must have been a bit dissappointing, since in Nijmegen the set seemed more inspired with songs like She Was Hot and It's All Over Now. And what is so spectacular about All Down The Line? I have the odd feeling they do some of the less known songs not to surprise people but, because they're relatively easy to do. This goes for YGMR, Rough Justice, All Down The Line, Let It Bleed and You Got The Silver. The b-stage experiment of some days ago was once again cut in favour of the all warhorse set. And the reintroduction of YCAGWYW limits the variation again. I'll whine no further as I usually try to limit the whining, and most people like it, although some around me were bored (and those were not hardcore fans).

- Highlights tonight were Let It Bleed, were Keith added beautiful licks, and Can't You Hear Me Knocking, which was much better than in Nijmegen and which got a very warm reaction from everybody. And I'm sure 95% doesn't know it. Brown Sugar had a good intro btw! Oh and that one rocked like a ..., as did JJF. HTW was very good as well.

- Flaws were found in YGMR, which was a bit of a mess. The good news is Keith is in charge of this song, and he decides when to solo, how many bars to end the solopart, and when to end the song. Therefore the song has more variety and is longer than before. The bad news is that it doesn't make much sense and his decicions seem to be a result of either cluelessness or stubornness. The others are puzzled, anyway. Satisfaction however was not Keith-all-over. From what I interpreted he started soloing in the last verse. The opening to PIB was not as impressive to me as it was to others appearantly, as the last bit of it could hardly be heard. But that might have been my position.

- Interestingly, Charlie travels without the little roof these days. Did he do that before?
- For his solo on HTW, Chuck jumped off the riding stage over the catwalk to his keyboards on the main stage. Never noticed this either.
- Bernard got a neck massage from Lisa during the introduction of Sympathy...
- ...while Lisa is back on hotpants. Lucky Bernard.
- Big ovations for Bobby and Keith. Someone was holding a poster of him as pirate, which made people clap even more. And Keith seemed to blush.
- Mick cut the walk to the b-stage during the encore, in favour of an extra run to both wings.
- Ronnie is better than ever, well, than anytime I've seen him live.

Cheers,
Limbo

Posted by: monkeyman07 ()
Date: August 14, 2007 16:59

that is a great pic , TE!

wipeacdc@hotmail.com
never too old or young to rocknroll!!!!!!

Date: August 14, 2007 17:38

Limbostone Wrote:

> - Interestingly, Charlie travels without the
> little roof these days. Did he do that before?

Depends on the weather forcast. Sometimes they take it of only shortly before the show when they're sure it's going to stay dry.

Date: August 14, 2007 18:46

Posted by: phd ()
Date: August 14, 2007 22:59

Real great pics.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home