Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Private Shows
Posted by: Goldsmith ()
Date: July 12, 2007 01:05

I don't understand the negativity toward doing private shows. In a capitalistic society it's each person's right and arguably, responsibility, to maximize income and I see nothing wrong with the Rolling Stones attempting to earn money from institutions that apparently have no problem handing it over for in-kind service.

And to continue to live under the illusion that the 60-somthing-year-old, multi-multi-millionaire rock star somehow still represents the rebelliousness of the anti-establishment is beyond delusional.

Maybe there are just too many communists still floating around.

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 12, 2007 01:08

Goldsmith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't understand the negativity toward doing
> private shows. In a capitalistic society it's
> each person's right and arguably, responsibility,
> to maximize income and I see nothing wrong with
> the Rolling Stones attempting to earn money from
> institutions that apparently have no problem
> handing it over for in-kind service.
>
> And to continue to live under the illusion that
> the 60-somthing-year-old, multi-multi-millionaire
> rock star somehow still represents the
> rebelliousness of the anti-establishment is beyond
> delusional.
>
> Maybe there are just too many communists still
> floating around.

<<< Maybe there are just too many communists still floating around >>>

There probably are Mr McCarthy ... there probably are !!

[en.wikipedia.org]

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 12, 2007 01:12

Yes, let's all go communist and have the stones do a 5 song concert because nothing else could get through the censors.

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 12, 2007 01:17

I'm sorry if that offends you, but it's so silly what you said. Somehow it seems that as capitalism rules the world, some think that this is reason enough to stop thinking and just accept everything that comes with it.

Maximise profits, blabla, that's bullshit - they are not a company, they are are a @#$%& rock band!
Get real...

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: Goldsmith ()
Date: July 12, 2007 01:20

Ummm, they are a company, incorporated in the British Virgin Island, with approximately $250 million in annual revenue and over 300 employees.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-12 01:23 by Goldsmith.

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 12, 2007 01:23

Goldsmith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ummm, they are a company. What are they supposed
> to do, give away the store?

Well, yeah - Cohl leads them like a company. Biggest mistake ever...
Legacy going down the drain cause they want to make some extra bucks at every possible occasion.


Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 12, 2007 01:23

Now that's being a realist.
But to me, if I like the music, I try to keep politics out of it.

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 12, 2007 01:28

Goldsmith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ummm, they are a company, incorporated in the
> British Virgin Island, with approximately $250
> million in annual revenue and over 300 employees.

Yeah, sure. But that's not the point - they are a Rock band in the first place. They are not simply selling a product, they also have a legacy and they don't only exist to generate money. And they should not only care about their profits, but also about generating value for their customers, the fans. And they very often fail to do so by charging ridiculous prices, etc.


Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: July 12, 2007 01:36

I too don't see a problem with it. It's their perogative to use their talents as they want to. They are human. Everyone has a price. The bank was obviously able to meet there's. I think alot of this "it's corporate B.S." talk is just that, "B.S." Would it be corporate B.S. if you could get into the show? If offered, would you turn down a ticket on principle? I doubt it.

Believe you me, if I had the money and could afford to hire the Stones to do a private gig for my friends and me, I would in a heartbeat.

I find it hard to believe that if any of us had the means to make a club show happen that we wouldn't.

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 12, 2007 01:41

What's the difference between Joe Average guy hiring a local band for his daughter's wedding or staff Christmas Party and a Billionaire hiring the Stones to play aprivate party?

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: tjkeef ()
Date: July 12, 2007 01:44

I'd sure love to be at any Stones private concert.

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 12, 2007 01:51

Goldsmith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't understand the negativity toward doing
> private shows. In a capitalistic society it's
> each person's right and arguably, responsibility,
> to maximize income and I see nothing wrong with
> the Rolling Stones attempting to earn money from
> institutions that apparently have no problem
> handing it over for in-kind service.
>
> And to continue to live under the illusion that
> the 60-somthing-year-old, multi-multi-millionaire
> rock star somehow still represents the
> rebelliousness of the anti-establishment is beyond
> delusional.
>
> Maybe there are just too many communists still
> floating around.



oh, for f***'s sake.....

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: Halup ()
Date: July 12, 2007 01:59

I haven't read all the posts with complaints about the Stones doing private shows, but what I feel is that people are a little upset in this case that the Stones, who never do all acoustic shows, are about to do one for a crowd where probably no one in attendance will be able to appreciate the uniqueness of what they're getting as much as the users of this website.

Some people may feel the Stones are sell outs for doing private shows, which is a bit silly to feel, but I think people feel this all acoustic performance is being wasted on an unappreciative audience instead of being done in a performance where hard core fans at least stood some chance of attending.

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: July 12, 2007 02:08

While you were gone
These faces filled with darkness
The obvious was hidden
With nothing to believe in
The compass always points to Terrapin

Sullen wings of fortune beat like rain
You're back in Terrapin for good or ill again
For good or ill again


Re: Private Shows
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 12, 2007 02:28

BluzDude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's the difference between Joe Average guy
> hiring a local band for his daughter's wedding or
> staff Christmas Party and a Billionaire hiring the
> Stones to play aprivate party?


There is a HUGE difference. Joe Average guy does the wedding circuit to try and make a few bucks. He does not have 50 million in the bank. Now sure if I was a millionaire and had the money to hire the stones for a private show,I would. If your the Stones yes that's an easy cash grab. But at what point do you ever think about the fans who made it possible for them to play a corporate gig.

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 12, 2007 02:30

sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BluzDude Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What's the difference between Joe Average guy
> > hiring a local band for his daughter's wedding
> or
> > staff Christmas Party and a Billionaire hiring
> the
> > Stones to play aprivate party?
>
>
> There is a HUGE difference. Joe Average guy does
> the wedding circuit to try and make a few bucks.
> He does not have 50 million in the bank. Now sure
> if I was a millionaire and had the money to hire
> the stones for a private show,I would. If your the
> Stones yes that's an easy cash grab. But at what
> point do you ever think about the fans who made it
> possible for them to play a corporate gig.


50 million? Add a zero to that. In pounds.

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 12, 2007 02:35

I know Gazza. I just keep throwing numbers out there. The exact dollar amount isn't important. It's just that thier just does'nt seem to be any thoughts for the fans at all. Maybe that's naive. But after 45 years,give half a F,about the people who made you popular in the first place.............So I guess this gig is really going to happen tomorrow?

Re: Private Shows
Date: July 12, 2007 02:46

Yes, a private show in a capitalistic society for a company like the Deutsche Bank is quite common also for a R`n`R band like the Rolling Stones who used to be anti-establishment.

And I do not think it was the biggest mistake to hire Cohl, because otherwise we would not be able to see the Stones like we are used to. That´s the way it works nowadays. It is big business. There is nobody to blame but the whole society - and we are all part of it.

But to criticize this does not mean you have to be a communist. What a stupid argument. It is necessary to criticize everything that goes into the wrong direction.

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: July 12, 2007 02:52

Bingo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While you were gone
> These faces filled with darkness
> The obvious was hidden
> With nothing to believe in
> The compass always points to Terrapin
>
> Sullen wings of fortune beat like rain
> You're back in Terrapin for good or ill again
> For good or ill again


At The Siding-Terrapin Station

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 12, 2007 04:57

There is no difference, it's the same thing on a different level. A person can be making $100,000 and live decent and be debt free and a person making $10,000,000 a year could be up to his eyeballs in debt. I see this stuff all the time. We all starve at our own levels...Also, Joe Average is not the band leader, he's the guy who hires the band.

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: July 12, 2007 05:04

sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know Gazza. I just keep throwing numbers out
> there. The exact dollar amount isn't important.
> It's just that thier just does'nt seem to be any
> thoughts for the fans at all. Maybe that's naive.
> But after 45 years,give half a F,about the people
> who made you popular in the first
> place.............So I guess this gig is really
> going to happen tomorrow?

How is this show a shot at the fans? I don't get that. They can't do private shows or it's a slam on the fans? Where's the connection?

Who cares if they have 5 million, 50 million, or 500 million in the bank? How much money do they need to have to make this gig OK?

It's a smart business move. It's not a slap at the fans. That is just absolutely ridiculous.

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 12, 2007 05:07

Thank you jomo!

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 12, 2007 05:16

jomo297 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I know Gazza. I just keep throwing numbers out
> > there. The exact dollar amount isn't important.
> > It's just that thier just does'nt seem to be
> any
> > thoughts for the fans at all. Maybe that's
> naive.
> > But after 45 years,give half a F,about the
> people
> > who made you popular in the first
> > place.............So I guess this gig is really
> > going to happen tomorrow?
>
> How is this show a shot at the fans? I don't get
> that. They can't do private shows or it's a slam
> on the fans? Where's the connection?
>
> Who cares if they have 5 million, 50 million, or
> 500 million in the bank? How much money do they
> need to have to make this gig OK?
>
> It's a smart business move. It's not a slap at
> the fans. That is just absolutely ridiculous.

In your humble opinion. As we are all entitled to.

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: July 12, 2007 06:56

Let's all club in together, pass the hat around, and book our own private acoustic show by the Stones.
An AA concert would be a sell-out for sure.
I hope someone records the Stones' 45th anniversary gig.

Re: Private Shows
Date: July 12, 2007 07:16

My questions is

Will they do private shows for ANYONE who can afford it?

If i won the 500 million in a lottery tomorrow will they play The Norva in Norfolk Va. this September for 75 million dollars?

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: July 12, 2007 08:35

-



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-31 03:47 by cirrhosis.

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: July 12, 2007 08:49

Halup Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I haven't read all the posts with complaints about
> the Stones doing private shows, but what I feel is
> that people are a little upset in this case that
> the Stones, who never do all acoustic shows, are
> about to do one for a crowd where probably no one
> in attendance will be able to appreciate the
> uniqueness of what they're getting as much as the
> users of this website.
>
> Some people may feel the Stones are sell outs for
> doing private shows, which is a bit silly to feel,
> but I think people feel this all acoustic
> performance is being wasted on an unappreciative
> audience instead of being done in a performance
> where hard core fans at least stood some chance of
> attending.

Who is saying this is an acoustic show? The closest thing I've found is a post in another thread that asked if anyone has heard that this is acoustic show? After that post everyone seems to assume that this is an acoustic show. Am I wrong here? Have they said this is an acoustic show?

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: July 12, 2007 09:52

I'm not sure what sweetcharmedlife's point is.

It's not like the Stones canceled a public gig to go private instead. Or, are you suggesting the Stones should do 20,000 private gigs so every loyal fan can get up close?

What exactly is your issue with their doing a private show?

I have a serious issue with them, and that is that the elite attendies don't have enough sense to bring along a minidisc recorder so we can all hear them.

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Re: Private Shows
Date: July 12, 2007 09:59

Well, If I am ever wealthy enough, I will book them for a private show and you can all be my guests. As long as nobody complains about the setlist or makes fun of Keef.
smiling smiley

Re: Private Shows
Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: July 12, 2007 10:04

Well I guess I won't get an answer to my two questions:

1. Who says this is an acoustic show?

2. How is it a slap in the face to fans?

Anyway, I hope we are all still friends. If I've offended, remind me and I'll buy you a beer in London at the last 02 show.

NumberOneStonesFan, I'm pulling for you to get wealthy enough so I can come to the show.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 41 on October 22, 2014 00:36
Record Number of Guests: 258 on October 21, 2014 22:47

Previous page Next page First page IORR home