Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick's running area
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 1, 2007 05:42

Tonight, I stayed in and watched disc 2 of the new DVD despite the Police playing within walking distance of my flat.

Something I found interesting in the documentary was the way they section off an area, in this case a hallway in the hotel in Rio, for Mick to do some running. I have known for a while that Mick is a runner, but I assumed that he probably travels with a treadmill, and perhaps he does. Seems that Mick likes to warm up for a show with about 20 minutes worth of some short sprints.

Being a runner myself, I find this somewhat contradictory to the physical effort he puts out on stage, but obviously it works for him.

Consider the fact that Mick is out there for two hours running, jumping and dancing, all the while singing his lungs out. I have heard some people compare Mick's performance with running a marathon. I have run a marathon, but I've never done what Mick does so I don't know how accurate that comparison is, although I imagine it may be close. They say that if you cannot carry a conversation with your training parter, then you are running too fast. Look what Mick is able to do while singing!

What I do not understand is that 20 minutes of sprinting is a rather intense warmup for a two-hour effort that Mick puts up. Most long-distance runners I know warm up with a few minutes of jogging and some light stretching. Some marathoners will not warm up at all and just ease into their pace after the first few miles.

One thing is sure, Mick knows what works for him, and would I like to get some advice from his trainer!

Re: Mick's running area
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 1, 2007 06:18

micks best running the stage tour was 81-82, he really did run a marathon onstage in those days, mind you he still does for the most part, but he has learned to pace himself since steel wheels

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: July 1, 2007 06:25

I've run many marathons and I know that my best running performance is toward the end of the race when the route is lined with spectators and there is a lot of distance between contestants.

The cheers from the spectators help to boost my speed beyond what it si when I am running alone, being passed by cars and trying to avoid yapping dogs.

I bet the same is true for Mick. Hearing cheers from tens of thousands of people and being the primary focus of attention fuels his physical capacity.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 1, 2007 06:42

In America, the contract stipulated a running area for Mick
"M.J. RUNNING AREA" at the bottom of page 5...
(from www.thesmokinggun.com)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-01 06:44 by schillid.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: July 1, 2007 06:47

Never understood how people can run 25 miles in a marathon. I'm pretty fast when it comes to a short sprint but would have trouble if I had to run more than a mile or two let alone 25 miles.

Wonder if Mick has a pre show meal that is loaded with complex carbs like runners do to give them energy before a marathon.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 1, 2007 06:55

Yeah would dig to read Micko's diet when on tour...
Read once where he loads up on paste to get him through the show...

ROCKMAN

Date: July 1, 2007 14:38

A lot of runners have a pasta meal the evening before a marathon. I think that Mick would pace his intake rather evenly while on tour, just as he probably does while not on tour. Can't see him loading up too much every two or three days just before a show.

Speaking of can't see, how about that rider? Mick doesn't want anyone to see his warmup routine! "Provide non see-through pipe and drape for this area." They talk about that on the DVD as well.

I remember someone here talk about seeing Mick run on occasion in a park in London. Mick was described as "no slouch." I wonder if anyone knows more about Mick's workout routines?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-01 16:30 by Edith Grove.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: July 1, 2007 16:23

Thanks for this; I'm a runner too so it's interesting for me. To be honest though, what I'm more interested in is Mick's training routine between tours. And between shows for that matter. If he's on tour six months at a time we have to assume he keeps a training routine going but how? I'm not aware of Madonna style runs through the local park, (surrounded by 20 bodyguards), so what goes? My best guess is a treadmill.

Posted by: gstone ()
Date: July 2, 2007 02:13

Edith Grove Wrote:
I wonder if anyone knows
> more about Mick's workout routines?>

Yes, when on tour, he brings his personal trainer, who also happens to be the band's physiotherapist. (Like the production manager, Dale Skjerseth, the trainer/physio is Norwegian. Torje Eike.) Eike and Jagger go for a long run together every day. And they run both forwards and backwards. And there's a lot of stretching. Massage when needed. At stadium shows, Jagger usually wants a "private" running area. Often in the corridors of the stadium.
He eats a lot of fish, like salmon, sallads and pasta. Very little alcohol, except for the odd glass of white burgundy wine. Sometimes he even cooks for his guests in the hotels they're staying in. Like when some of his (younger) children are with him. Not only does he eat very healthy food himself, but he also sees to that his youngest eat right. Even when he's not watching. People at the Rattlesnake Inn and the Lounge are instructed to keep an eye on the little ones. Only one soda a day, for example.

Posted by: praline ()
Date: November 21, 2010 17:55

What Mick does is very far from running a Marathon....

If you have run a Marathon, you know that it takes 6 months of training, special diet, regular consumption of energy drinks throughout the 4h of the race, and you end up with no legs for a few days, plus a rest of at least 1 or 2 weeks before you run again.

Ok Mick moves a lot, but please, let's remain realistic, this has NOTHING to do with running 42kilometres.

I would actually be interested to know how good a runner Mick is.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: November 21, 2010 18:18

Posted by: praline ()
Date: November 21, 2010 17:55

What Mick does is very far from running a Marathon....

Correct. Mick does a good effort and deserves admiration for his
endurance, especially cause we still haven't seen an energy decline
even at this age. But is far from running a Marathon, if it was, he
would be very close to the World Record wich stands just above the
2 hours.confused smiley

The fact that the 4 Stones are still fit "looking" is amazing.
Ronnie looks like a triathlete...maybe is the sex, drugs and rock n' roll
event that keeps him fit...

Date: November 21, 2010 21:27

praline
I would actually be interested to know how good a runner Mick is.

According to someone who has seen him running in Regent's Park, pretty darn good.

Date: November 21, 2010 22:24

nothing says rock and roll like.....running

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 21, 2010 22:27

I hadn't seen this old thread.May be BV could add my "Mick Jagger’s Pre-Tour Physical Workout " to Edith Grove's one ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1503
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home