Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Songs 2 thru 8 make or break a show
Date: June 24, 2007 23:04

After reading many posts and reviews in conjunction with my own concert attending experience it seems to me that songs 2 thru 8 seperate an extraordinary show from an ordinary show especially with songs 4 thru 7 residing at the absolute core.

Start Me Up opens the show 99% of the time, occasionaly it's JJF, Satisfaction, IORR and even Paint it Black. Song number 2 can sometimes be a treat (i.e. Shattered or IORR i the #2 slot) or not so much (YGMR or LSTNT). The #3 number is usually from ABB, take it or leave it. Now, song number 4 is where the show begins to take on it's own unique form, followed by the next 3 songs.

Some examples of a great core are Frankfurt, despite poor venue acoustics, 4. Bitch 5. Monkey Man 6. Sweet Virginia 7. Midnight Rambler.
Lyon France was a great similar core as Franfurt except Let it Bleed in the 6-spot. Werchter Belgium had Rocks Off, Heartbreaker, Some Girls and Waiting on a friend for another nice core set.

Throwing in any ABB number or She was Hot will cool down the momentum in an otherwise hot core set, at least in my humble opinion...if you enjoy those songs within the core, then good on ya! smiling smiley

Once you hit song #9, typically Tumbling Dice is then followed by 2 Keef numbers then B-stage. B-stage set will usually throw in an oldie sandwiched in between warhorses coming out and going back. Sometimes the song order is mixed up or a song may be swapped out (i.e. Paint it Black substitutes for You Can't Always Get What You Want on the summer 2007 tour leg).

In conclusion: Whatever you do, don't miss the first half of the show!
Unless...it's your first show, then it's all new to you anyway.
smiling smiley

Re: Songs 2 thru 8 make or break a show
Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: June 24, 2007 23:46

I totally here ya, I'd wish they would kinda pull a couple of relic out. How about having a first timer concert for folks that haven't seen the band. and then a concert with B-sides would be my wish,

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: June 24, 2007 23:53

wished they would do more stuff from the 1964-67 period.

just to add a bit a variety.

Date: June 24, 2007 23:57

You and I. I love the band for once pull some material out like these would make smile again
Around and around,
It's not easy
Time is on my side
Heart of stone

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 25, 2007 00:09

I understand where you're coming from. However, for me, it is the Stones performance coupled with the audience's reaction that makes or breaks a show. The actual songs played are a nice sideline that can add that extra magic.

Date: June 25, 2007 00:15

I'm more concerned on what their playing at the moment. I'd like them to play more of their lastest album

Posted by: 61' telecaster ()
Date: June 25, 2007 05:45

Interesting analysis No. 1. I completely agree with your conclusion about She was hot and I would add Wanna Hold You to the same group. It seems that it's played every time so far and it's pity that it takes place to such pearls like Happy, Before They make Me Run or Connected. I wish Keith keeps playing You Got the Silver at least.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: June 25, 2007 05:53

....... good guess,,, but more like 2-5

Date: June 25, 2007 19:39

sjs12 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I understand where you're coming from. However,
> for me, it is the Stones performance coupled with
> the audience's reaction that makes or breaks a
> show. The actual songs played are a nice sideline
> that can add that extra magic.

True, how they perform the songs is extremely important too, not just the mere selection.

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: June 25, 2007 22:22

yep, you can pretty much leave after that/...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1558
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home