Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - A Toronto icon falls...
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 18, 2007 06:21

For any Stones fan, or R&R fan, who has ever been through Toronto, especially in the '60s and '70s, you likely remember Sam the Record Man. It's an original record store on the Yonge Street strip, and it used to be the only place where you could buy cool records, or at one time, one of the few places to buy concert tickets. The store is an icon - three rickety floors of music (and lately, DVDs etc). Everything from rock to jazz to opera to ... well, a really great comedy section too. And stuff you would never find anywhere else (anyone for a 3-CD box set of George Formby classics? It was there last week...)

When there was nowhere else to buy music, people would drive from miles away to Sam's. It was a rite of passage to go there the first time, especially if you grew up in the 'burbs as I did (lock the car doors, kids, we're in The City now...)

The store is kitchy - covered in autographed pictures of every act that has ever been through town. It would be open late at night, and the neon sign, bookended by two massive records, is a landmark. Sam's expanded into a chain but went bankrupt a few years back. Because the family owned the Yonge St property, it continued. But this last, flagship store is closing at the end of June. Victim of downloads and all the other new technology that was never imagined when our older brothers bought their 45s (The Ballad of Davy Crockett? Oh... good... there's some good stuff in there too!).

The sales are starting. I went in at the end of May the day the closing was announced - picked up an armload. Talked with a guy who has worked there for 32 years. Rumour has it that the neighbouring college wants the building, but would put retail space at street level, retain the sign as a landmark. I guess that's the best we can hope for.

Anyone else feeling really old tonite? (Sigh...)

Thanks, Sam Sniderman!

[www.thestar.com]

Re: OT - A Toronto icon falls...
Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: June 18, 2007 06:35

i have shopped there plnety of times over the years.
the sign is definately one of the trademarks of the city.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home