Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

recording contract decca
Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: June 10, 2007 11:26

Hi!
I'm really interested in this recordingcontracttopic. I know that the owed decca one single and they did schoolboy blues. but i did'nt know that they owed them an full album, i thought get yer ya ya's out was the last and meta... i really don't know now. could anybody inform an poor knowloedge austrian boy winking smileythanks

Re: recording contract decca
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 10, 2007 11:46

Stone Age was the compilation that Decca put out without the Stones' consent -
i don't think they owed Decca an album at that point, but Decca still had the right to release one more compilation.

Metamorphosis was, as far as i understand it, a result of their settlement with Allen Klein:
he wound up being the only one with the right to release previously unreleased stuff from that period,
but he was limited to one album's worth, and that's what he came up with.

but i need to emphasize that "as far as i understand it" may not be very far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-10 16:40 by with sssoul.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: June 10, 2007 14:51

yes, ok. but why werent they allowed to release sixties songs on live albums?
sorry, i really need to know

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 10, 2007 15:27

First off, we're talking about ABKCO, not Decca. Decca licensed tracks from ABKCO. ABKCO is the copyright holder and song publisher. The Stones WERE allowed to release sixties songs performed live in the seventies on Atlantic, but ABKCO's royalty rate was so high, that it made any live album a losing proposition for the Stones or Atlantic. One of the band's many lawsuits against ABKCO resulted in lower royalty rates for their former publisher which made LOVE YOU LIVE a feasible release.

Re: ABKCO, royalties, etc
Date: June 10, 2007 15:42

thanks Rocky - and sorry Bluesinc that i didn't grasp that that's what you were asking.
in other words Klein was being a complete pr1ck - he would've made money too (obviously!)
off releases of concert albums that included 60s numbers, but until the mid-70s he felt like making it impossible.

(by the way, when people moan over the fact that the Stones don't do those "instant soundboard" releases
of every concert like the Who and whoever else, i hope they're also agitating for all-post-ABKCO setlists.
every release that includes numbers in the ABKCO catalogue means negotiating with Klein et al -
which can clearly be done for a release or two per tour, but it doesn't surprise me at all
that so far it's proved too much of an obstacle for 100+ releases per tour.)

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: June 10, 2007 16:22

Boot sleeve artwork

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: June 10, 2007 16:58

Ughhh.... that's ugly

Re: ABKCO, royalties, etc
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 10, 2007 19:00

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (by the way, when people moan over the fact that
> the Stones don't do those "instant soundboard"
> releases
> of every concert like the Who and whoever else, i
> hope they're also agitating for all-post-ABKCO
> setlists.
> every release that includes numbers in the ABKCO
> catalogue means negotiating with Klein et al -
> which can clearly be done for a release or two per
> tour, but it doesn't surprise me at all
> that so far it's proved too much of an obstacle
> for 100+ releases per tour.)

Thats a fair point. They did work it out for 40 Licks though, and theres relatively few ABCKO era songs in the current show as it is at the minute

Maybe my memory is playing tricks with me, but prior to the ABB tour starting wasnt there ads for the concerts which seemed to suggest that they WOULD be releasing each show in the same way that the Who do?

Date: June 10, 2007 19:30

>> Thats a fair point. They did work it out for 40 Licks though <<

yeah, as i say it's clearly something that can be worked out - every concert album has some ABKCO numbers, after all -
but i remember reading that with 40 Licks it was some kind of monumental struggle to reach an agreement with ABKCO.
and a couple of years ago the Stones were trying to get a court audit of ABKCO's 40 Licks accounts
because they feel they're ripping them off again - which could kinda sour any ideas anyone might have had
of expanding the cooperation to 100+ releases of "instant soundboards".

>> prior to the ABB tour starting wasnt there ads for the concerts which seemed to suggest
that they WOULD be releasing each show in the same way that the Who do? <<

hm - i don't recall anything like that, but ... i miss a lot. :E
when they asked us to submit setlist ideas, though (remember that?), i did make a point
of submitting one all-post-ABKCO one - i was pretty pleased with it too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-10 19:34 by with sssoul.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1246
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home