Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT-Any Dwight Yoakam Fans Here
Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: May 28, 2007 22:38

Has anyone heard his cover of The Last Time? I think it is excellent, along with the Clash's Train In Vain and Elvis' Suspicious Minds

Re: OT-Any Dwight Yoakam Fans Here
Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 28, 2007 23:01

Not really a fan of his, despite loving country music. I can't stand his yodeling voice!

On the other hand, his guitarist is an absolute genius! Best use of a b bender since Clarence White. (I'm sorry Ronnie but stick to the non bender guitars.)

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 28, 2007 23:02

This one usually gets a chuckle:

I once saw him live, back in the '80s at McCabes Guitar Shop in Santa Monica.

He was the opening act for the Meat Puppets.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 28, 2007 23:22

He's kinda bent in SlingBlade...but I guess
that was after shaggin' Sharon Stone but hey
yeah he did write What's Left Of Me with Mick Jagger.......

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-29 00:31 by Rockman.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: May 28, 2007 23:29

I'm a huge Dwight Yokam fan!!! Have been for many a year - though I'm not following his career as closely as I used to. And havend't heard "The Last Time" or "Train in Vain"

Heard "Suspicious Mind" quite a few years back. At first I did not like it - thought it inferior to the Elvis version. Today I'm not sure which version I prefer (or maybe I should go with the Pet Shop Boys' version?)

But I saw a documentary on Johnny Cash the other night. When Johnny Cash was sacked from Columbia (can you believe it??), Dwight Yokam walked up to the office of the man responsible an kicked in his door and told him that "Johnny Cash had paid the desk he was sitting behind"

Respect!!

Also I liked him a great deal in the Gram Parsons tribute DVD ;-)

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: May 29, 2007 00:04

I love Dwight Yoakam. His cover of "The Last Time" is nice but I absolutely love his cover of Cheap Trick's "I Want You To Want Me". And I don't even like the original!!!

Yoakam is originally from Pike County, Kentucky.....where I currently work. Alot of his songs about the mountains and coal mines and leaving the mountains to find jobs up North are some of his best, and they're not usually the hits. He usually has hits with the more pop based material, but songs like "South of Cincinnati", "I Sang Dixie", "Miner's Prayer", and "Johnson's Love" are absolutely beautiful.

"Readin', Writin', Route 23" is a great song about the migration that many Eastern Kentucky and Southewestern Virginia families made in the '50's and '60's to the North, to places like Cincinnati and Detroit because there was work in the factories. I suppose some of these things resonate with me because I live in the same general area, and like I said, even work in the same county where Yoakam was born. I travel Route 23 every day on my way to work.

My dad was a coal miner for over 20 years, coal mining being the most common trade around this area for at least the last 100 years (probably longer).

Yoakam, although he obviously has pop sensibilities, is as serious and passionate about traditional country music as any artist in the business today. I once saw an interview with Johnny Cash, shortly before his death, where he was asked who his favorite contemporary country artist was. His answer was Dwight Yoakam.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: May 29, 2007 00:15

painfully boring live...never understood why he needed a bodyguard?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 29, 2007 03:29

Great artist with lots of integrity.

And Pete Anderson is a super guitar player - give a lsiten to "Suspious Minds", "Fast As You", "Crazy Little Thing Called Love", "Guitars, Cadillacs", etc. for some fine country picking.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 29, 2007 04:52

yep i'm a big fan...just saw him on tv a night or two ago and he's just magnetic, real and very rockin' soulful dude...love dwight...what's not to like?...conquered the world of country music from california of all places, (and not "hip" l.a. either) then add great natural rockin' presence, and a very respectably engaging acting talent...
nashville country scene very uppity and exlusive to any 'outsiders' at all, even homegrown ones...but like only a rare few, dwight conquered all of that...
(you still hear jokes at dwight's expense from some of the less evolved nashville studio cats, songwriters and biz people...all of whom would give their eyeteeth to get a session with him btw, however they resentfully prattle on about a true original)...

for one example, heard a songwriter at one of the blubird cafe's (nashville) songwriter circles...who got one of his songs cut by dwight, and he still had to go into this longass hipper than thou folksy demeaning story putting him down, even tho this writer made a small, or large, fortune out of the cut on a platinum album...and obviously still doing the song and bragging about it...(and some of the audience snickered along appreciatively) that fool would kiss dwight's ass up down and sideways for another cover...hate that kind of b.s. hypocritical stuff, but does show how much the cards were stacked against yoakam getting anywhere at all with a career in a genre-straddling real country music...anyway, that songwriter wishes he had dwight's career and was drawing huge crowds to huge venues all over the states and the world...so he can keep bitching in cafe's smaller than your basement crowing about his 'superior' nashville roots...i love the bird and have had many, many great nights there, but what an a-hole, ya know? (this is NOT a reflection on the owners and management there; sweet, cool people with a great great and special club)

and yes sir anderson is great...and he had a tight little four piece (including himself on acoustic) the other night, and i don't think it was pete on guitar and it was still amazing...i've got a live album he put out some time ago with 'suspicious minds' on it...anderson's guitar all thru that album goes from absolutely stunning to totally knock you down dead stunning...on his worst cut, anderson is merely just amazingly stunning...
dwight's been a solid go getter for a real long time now and still sounds fresh original and rockin' fo real, imo. one of the greats i'd say without hesitation; he's earned it...his kinda sound and his kind of country is unique to him, however very rooted and derivative...and that's a huge deal. to me anyway.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-29 07:36 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Fembot ()
Date: May 29, 2007 05:42

I saw him live late last year and he was absolutely mind blowingly good. Wow, one of the best gigs ever ... especially from the front row!

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: May 29, 2007 05:52

Beelyboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> and a very respectably engaging acting talent...

He was great in Slingblade. Really made you hate his character.

>and he had a tight
> little four piece (including himself on acoustic)
> the other night, and i don't think it was pete on
> guitar and it was still amazing..

Right, Pete doesn't play with him anymore.

>.i've got a live
> album he put out some time ago with 'suspicious
> minds' on it...anderson's guitar all thru that
> album goes from absolutely stunning to totally
> knock you down dead stunning...on his worst cut,
> anderson is merely just amazingly stunning...

Yeah really. Remember Andersen's guitar on "Long Black Cadillac"? Amazing.

Date: May 29, 2007 06:27

dwight yoakam is one of my favorite country artists. he's a great performer

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 29, 2007 06:44

Great in Panic Room...very sleezy and gets a great head shot ending.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 29, 2007 14:37

Yeah, the late, great Eddie Shaver was his touring guitarist at one time.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 29, 2007 15:01

Count me in as a big fan. I've seen him twice and both shows were fantastic. It was actually a quote by Mick Jagger that turned me on to Dwight. When Jagger wrote "Party Doll" he lamented that he wanted a "true" country singer, like Dwight, to sing the song. I then sought out Mr. Yoakam and understood Jagger's fascination with him.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: May 29, 2007 16:29

Count me in. LOVE THe Dwight. Saw him last year in Sante Fe. His last 2 records are excellent! Miss Pete Anderson though. The new guy's good but there's only ONE Pete Anderson.

Posted by: Borna ()
Date: May 31, 2007 18:52

I like his song She Wore Red Dresses - it's perfect for soundcheck!

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: June 1, 2007 07:01

I'm a big fan of Dwight too! Not much of a country music fan overall, though I do like Hank Williams and Johnny Cash (although Johnny was in his own category, not strictly country). I play DY's stuff a lot, and I agree about Pete's guitar playing - amazing! And the cover version of "I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide"...WOW!

The last two studio albums from DY have been a disappointment though. Good moments, but overall not up to par. Hope this isn't the start of long slide...

Posted by: largelingerie ()
Date: June 1, 2007 07:14

I had a major crush on him some years ago! I loved the way he'd get that leg shaking and those tight blue jeans! Lots of Gram Parsons influence. I think what diminished my lust was hearing him interviewed -- boring as all get out! Long-winded like nobody's business! Plus, he's got that hat on for a good reason.

But, the music is GREAT and he can't be lumped in as regular country -- it's that alt-country category that he partly originated, I guess.

Date: June 1, 2007 10:14

He sounds like a sympatheic guy, but I never got his crooning style. Too much for me. Still I love country music.

Date: February 5, 2011 03:47

Angus MacBagpipe
I'm a big fan of Dwight too! Not much of a country music fan overall, though I do like Hank Williams and Johnny Cash (although Johnny was in his own category, not strictly country). I play DY's stuff a lot, and I agree about Pete's guitar playing - amazing! And the cover version of "I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide"...WOW!

The last two studio albums from DY have been a disappointment though. Good moments, but overall not up to par. Hope this isn't the start of long slide...

I was rockin' I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide today. Amazing cover!

Date: February 5, 2011 03:49

Date: February 5, 2011 05:04

i love his music. saw him live a few years ago

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: February 5, 2011 10:47

When I saw Keith Gattis on the GP tribute DVD, I went out and bought a b-bender Telecaster.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: February 5, 2011 11:57

I love his music and listen to him a fair bit. Saw him once live and he was great - a really enjoyable gig. Possibly made more enjoyable by the fact that straight after it, I took an overnight train to London and then the Eurostar to Paris for the Stones' gig at le Stade de France the following day.

By contrast, Dwight's gig was in a fairly small club with a capacity of about 500. He played and sang energetically throughout and the audience loved it. It's an experience I'm keen to repeat.

BTW, haven't come across much bootleg stuff of his (I've looked, but not too hard).

Date: February 5, 2011 16:13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1514
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home