Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10
Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Blew The Stones Away?
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 24, 2007 01:57

They (most of them) died in a plane crash.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 24, 2007 02:01

kish_stoned Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi i was at kenbworth,stones came on late but they
> brilliant,STONES ARE STILL
> ROLLING,where are lynyrd skynyrd?

kind of a pointless question ain't it? and, don't you think if Mick Jagger and other band members had been killed in a tragic plane crash, we wouldn't be talking much about the Rolling Stones these days?

and, if the stones were so damned brilliant at knebworth, you'd think that might have translated to tape somehow - it clearly did not.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: March 24, 2007 02:08

kish_stoned Wrote:
> Hi i was at kenbworth,stones came on late but they
> brilliant,STONES ARE STILL
> ROLLING,where are lynyrd skynyrd?

I've never actually liked Lynyrd Skynyrd myself, but credit where credit is due.

They got the place rocking that day...where as the Stones did not. Fact.

Date: March 24, 2007 02:10

LOGIE Wrote:
> kish_stoned Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hi i was at kenbworth,stones came on late but
> they
> > brilliant,STONES ARE STILL
> > ROLLING,where are lynyrd skynyrd?
>
>
> I've never actually liked Lynyrd Skynyrd myself,
> but credit where credit is due.
>
> They got the place rocking that day...where as the
> Stones did not. Fact.

Logie is known as what we call a "discerned" fan.... ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-24 02:11 by StonesTod.

Posted by: button_your_lip ()
Date: March 24, 2007 03:21

StonesTod Wrote:
>
> well, i LOOOOOOVE Lynyrd Skynyrd - hence, the
> correct spelling. I have no doubt they blew the
> lads off that day/night.

Holy Tamales...I agree with Tod...Love em
Listening to them right now ~~THYRTY

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: March 24, 2007 04:28

is the mighty Skynyrd set availabe ?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 24, 2007 04:54

StonesTod Wrote:
> well, i LOOOOOOVE Lynyrd Skynyrd - hence, the
> correct spelling. I have no doubt they blew the
> lads off that day/night.

Well, that's just like, your opinion...man! (With apologies to The Dude.)

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 24, 2007 08:28

I remember reading that 10 CC was on the bill at Knebworth. Isnt that the group that sang that song "The things you do for love"? just going by that song, I dobut they could have blown the stones off the stage. Does anyone know about the rest of their catalalauge? did they rock?

Posted by: abb05 ()
Date: March 24, 2007 08:37

Skynyrd was definitely one of the top 2 or 3 the US had to offer for awhile.

They were peaking then. Of course the plane crash took care of that shortly after.

They tour still, though it's a shame to still be using that name.

A far reach from what once was.

Date: March 24, 2007 11:12

ryanpow Wrote:
> The stones have had some shows that arent as good
> as other, but I dont think anyone has ever blown
> them off ther own stage. that claim has been made
> before but I dont believe its ever reallly
> happened.

Richard Elman says Stevie Wonder blew them off the stage in Mobile, Alabama on 27/6/72.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Ged Rambler ()
Date: March 24, 2007 13:12

I was there & Skynard did not blow the Stones off the stage in my opinion - in fact I hav'nt seen any act who could claim to have done so.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 24, 2007 14:21

tjkeef Wrote:
> Iremember reading some reviews saying Lynyrd
> Skynyrd blew the stones away at Knebsworth anybody
> else read anything like that?

I was there, and it would be fair to say that they did a version of Free Bird that had the ENTIRE crowd on its feet. At the end of that set people all over were saying things like "the Stones are going to have play their hearts out to improve on that" etc etc. Depending on your point of view, they either did or they didn't. My own view is they played a fantastically long set with a great setlist, but generator and sound problems for the first view songs did prevent them from getting off to a good start. I'm more into the Stones than Skynrd, so for me the observation that Skynrd "blew them away" doesn't "quite" ring true, but based on that performance of Free Bird, I can fully understand why some might think so. The bottom line is though that the Stones did NOT manage to get EVERY SINGLE MAN, WOMAN and CHILD up on their feet quite like Skynrd did with that rendition of that song - but then the fact that the Stones finished their set at something like 02:30 hrs MIGHT have had something to do with it ? It was a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG day !! But what a day ? I shall cherish those memories for ever and ever and ever and .................... well you get it !!

Date: March 24, 2007 17:25

Who really cares? Skynyrd is a band of inbred hicks. Total bravado is their claim. They were one of the few bands that didn t get booed off the stage opening for The Who. I give them credit, however, some dude wearing a "who the f is Mick Jagger" shirt on stage is a total clown. If they hadn t literally crashed and burned they would have started the decline quite soon. You can only do so much drug and drink before your performances start to decline. The Stones had nothing to prove in 1976. They were a band in change and succumbing to the RnR excess. Of course, they survived and thats why they are the greastest as they say.

Posted by: Tralala ()
Date: March 24, 2007 17:43

Wasn't this the show to which the Stones arrived unfashionably late? Like in the middle of the night? And it was raining ans everyone was upset and Keith was on another planet? They're so much more professional now - when it comes to respecting the audience, the hand that feeds them...

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: March 24, 2007 17:48

....and so the stereotypes of Southerners continue........"inbred hicks?" hardly.....Ronnie Van Zant, their frontman, led the rest of the band like a drill sergeant.....he demanded professionalism on stage and in the studio and he got it. They were not sloppy on stage as you imply, "I wish I never met you."

Posted by: roby ()
Date: March 24, 2007 17:48

ACDC stole the show in Toronto 2003...

[jam.canoe.ca]

Posted by: Tralala ()
Date: March 24, 2007 18:02

roby Wrote:
> ACDC stole the show in Toronto 2003...
>
> [jam.canoe.ca]
> 1/742719.html

I don't agree. I believe the Stones kept Toronto on their toes. The ROAR when the Stones came on stage...

Posted by: electric-duane ()
Date: March 24, 2007 18:09

Right on Lukester.

I wouldn't consider myself the biggest Skynyrd fan but I think "One More From The Road" is proof enough of what Skynyrd was about.

Comparing acts such as the Stones and Synyrd is like comparing apples and oranges. The Stones never had and never will have the incredible musicianship a band such as Skynyrd had and Skynyrd never was a band able to reach the level of showmanship the Stones have been able to accomplish.

My all-time favorite band is the Allman Brothers Band (with and without Dickey Betts, just for the record). You've got seven guys just milling around onstage doing nothing flashy but creating some of the most intense and competent rock'n roll music ever. I would never expect Keith and Ronnie to even attempt to match what Derek Trucks and Warran Haynes are doing right now, nor would I ever expect Gregg Allman to put on a Mick Jagger act.

The Allman Brothers just began their annual run at the Beacon Theater (last years highlights included guests such as Hubert Sumlin, Taj Mahal, Robert Randolph, Peter Frampton, Gary Rossington and Chuck Leavell and included nearly 80 differnt songs). This year's run is getting off to a good start (only after two official shows and three altogether). They've covered Hendrix's "Manic Depression" and Miles Davis' "In A Silent Way." It can only get better.

I sometimes wonder who's more ignorant - the people deemed the in-bred hicks or those shallow enough to use such stereotypes in a world as diverse as the one we live in. Southern Rock - as horrible as the label may sound - is hard to swallow, but once you're able to actually digest it you realize these bands are full of incredibly talented musicians hell-bent on making serious music.

Peace out,

E-Duane

Date: March 24, 2007 18:16

nice post, Duane. Wow - the hendrix and miles covers sound cool! i just wish the boys would finally get their arses back here to the left coast - been too long!

Date: March 24, 2007 18:33

Electric Duane......you might be interested in reading Mark Kemp's book "Dixie Lullaby." Kemp is a former editor for Rollng Stone magazine and grew up in NC like I did......the book explores Southern Rock (heavily on Skynyrd and Allmans) and his autobiographcal journey of coming to terms with his Southern heritage in the face of ugly stereotypes and racism.......the book really speaks to me.

Date: March 24, 2007 18:43

Did I hit a nerve? relax people. I never implied they were sloppy on stage. I implied they probably would have if they didn t die. I guess we will never know. I m sorry but having a rebel flag adorned on the 21st century? I saw them a few yrs back and thats all it is. Bikers, rebel flags, and flipping off Neil Young when his name came up in the tune. As for Southern Rock, I like many of the bands. Duane is one of the best slide players ever. The best thing the Allmans ever did was throw Betts out of the band. I saw them in '95. They sucked. I ve heard nothing but rave reviews from the last coulpe of tours. I m sure Miles would love their version of In A Silent way and Joe Zawinul would too since he helped write it. Hey, I ll make a deal: get rid of the flags and I ll drop the hick reference.

Date: March 24, 2007 18:48

....and the inbred reference?

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 24, 2007 18:49

I Wish I Never Met You Wrote:
> Who really cares? Skynyrd is a band of inbred
> hicks.

What a f*cking idiot. Do you not think there are any Southerners on this board?
Some people amaze me. You obviously know nothing about Lynyrd Skynyrd or southern people. Do you think we're all like those people in Deliverance?

Posted by: Ged Rambler ()
Date: March 24, 2007 18:53

Tralala Wrote:
> Wasn't this the show to which the Stones arrived
> unfashionably late? Like in the middle of the
> night? And it was raining ans everyone was upset
> and Keith was on another planet? They're so much
> more professional now - when it comes to
> respecting the audience, the hand that feeds
> them..

There was no rain for sure - it was a red hot day,like most days in the summer of 76.

As I remember it,it was 10CC who screwed the job up - 2 hours to get on stage after Skynard went off - according to the after show report that I read,they were the only act not to do a sound check and were eventually told - 'Go on now or dont go on at all'.

Date: March 24, 2007 18:53

Tumblin_Dice_07 Wrote:
> I Wish I Never Met You Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Who really cares? Skynyrd is a band of inbred
> > hicks.
>
> What a f*cking idiot. Do you not think there are
> any Southerners on this board?
> Some people amaze me. You obviously know nothing
> about Lynyrd Skynyrd or southern people. Do you
> think we're all like those people in Deliverance?

Keep waving those flags and I will. BTW I know plenty about the band.

Date: March 24, 2007 18:54

> Hey, I ll make a deal: get rid of the flags
> and I ll drop the hick reference.

The hick reference doesn't bother me as bad as the inbred reference. That crossed the line. You wouldn't say such negative things about black people or jewish people or Muslims and would probably think anybody that did was a rascist and a biggot. So what are you? Negatively stereotyping southern people as "inbreds". Talk about a biggot.

Date: March 24, 2007 18:56

Lukester Wrote:
> ....and the inbred reference?

Lukester your right I went alittle too far with the inbred reference. But hey, its not like their aren t any. Its all good clean fun just like Greg would say.

Date: March 24, 2007 18:56

>
> Keep waving those flags and I will. BTW I know
> plenty about the band.

I personally don't own a rebel flag but if somebody wants to wave one, that's their business. So don't tell me to keep waving those f*cking flags @#$%&, I don't wave them.

If you don't like Lynyrd Skynyrd or the confederate flag or whatever, that's fine. But don't stereotype the rest of us because of that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-24 18:58 by Tumblin_Dice_07.

Date: March 24, 2007 18:57

tjkeef Wrote:
> Iremember reading some reviews saying Lynyrd
> Skynyrd blew the stones away at Knebsworth anybody
> else read anything like that?

I once read or heard of a time where Skynyrd apparently opened up for The Who when Skynyrd was a new band and The Who were in their prime and Skynyrd upstaged the Who. The audience was more receptive anyway... never heard about that sort of thing with the Stones.

Date: March 24, 2007 18:59

You have them raised on public buildings. I know for sure Atlanta does.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home