Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678910Next
Current Page: 1 of 10
Lynyrd Skynyrd Blew The Stones Away?
Posted by: tjkeef ()
Date: March 23, 2007 21:47

Iremember reading some reviews saying Lynyrd Skynyrd blew the stones away at Knebsworth anybody else read anything like that?

Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Blew The Stones Away?
Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: March 23, 2007 21:54

I've read something similar. Sorry can't remember where

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: March 23, 2007 21:55

I dont think so...thats just Walt disney...uhhh..the dvd is out...just remember..they had to wake up Keith who was almost dead!!The tide was turning to punk....in that summer...allready nice band anyway..how was Todd Rundgen??? anybody??aww gawd stoned have tha buy a ticket!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-23 21:57 by rooster.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 23, 2007 21:58

have you heard the stones' performance? milli vanilli coulda have blown the stones off the stage that day....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 23, 2007 22:00

This quote is in Skynyrd's "Free Bird - The Movie". I think it's drummer Artimus Pyle who said it. Judging from the footage, Skynyrd was indeed hot that day. Stones? I don't know.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 23, 2007 22:02

.............hardly blew them off the stage........................

The Knebworth Park Festivals.

Knebworth Fair . 8-21-76.

The Rolling Stones, 10cc, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Todd Rundgren's Utopia , Hot Tuna , Don Harrison Band.

After the mega success of the 1975 bash with Pink Floyd as headliners , veteran promoter Freddie Bannister bet big on the biggest band of the time. Originally Bannister had booked Queen to headline ,but when the Stones offered themselves as festival fodder what red blooded promoter could resist such a prize? The Rolling Stones were duely booked and Queen were sidelined ( although they also headlined the Hyde Park free concert in 76 to a massive crowd, which did much to raise them in the popularity stakes).

Bannister assembled a workmanlike parade of artists to compliment the Stones( although he was careful NOT to pick any bands who were likely to upstage the old prancers ). As it was , Don Harrison flopped , Hot Tuna were quite well received, 10cc were not, Lynyrd Skynyrd blew many people away with their long rendition of Freebird and Todd Rundgren enhanced his popularity with a hot set , the first of four appearances at Knebworth festivals between 1976 and 1979.

Unfortunately sound problems dogged some of the acts, with some gargantuan delays which bored the crowd and made the show over-run, thus threatening the promoters licence .The Stones however, played one of the longest shows of their career , which no doubt made up for the lengthy delay they made the punters endure so that their lighting effects could be seen properly in full darkness.
The Stones also insisted that the promoter should attempt to try to instill a carnival atmosphere at the show by hiring a large number of clowns , buskers and other circus acts , who were supposed to entertain the crowd between sets. This was only partly successful , as in every big festival, people were not keen to move from their spots once they had possessed them and therefor many of the acts were not seen by the majority of the crowd.

The stage itself was in the shape of a giant tongue ( modelled on the Stones logo which allowed Jagger to parade himself nicely ) but which also meant the audience were further away from most of the performers than ever .

(The stage itself is still in use, being used at the Rosskilde festival since 1978, although its considerably bigger as its been enlarged by a third . )

The shows were projected on large video screens at the back of the site, which was nice move, although screens on either side of the stage would have been better .There is video circulating of some of the acts , the most well known being that of Lynyrd Skynyrd's performance of Freebird.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 23, 2007 22:02

The stones have had some shows that arent as good as other, but I dont think anyone has ever blown them off ther own stage. that claim has been made before but I dont believe its ever reallly happened.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: March 23, 2007 22:10

Rip This wrote:

The stage itself is still in use, being used at the Rosskilde festival since 1978, although its considerably bigger as its been enlarged by a third

Somebody on this board stated - JumpingKentFlash if I remember correctly - stated that the stage have been replaced, by a new one that looks just like the original

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 23, 2007 22:27

StonesTod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> have you heard the stones' performance? milli
> vanilli coulda have blown the stones off the stage
> that day....

C'mon Tod, they weren't so bad as all that! I remember a member of Skynard saying in a film clip that they blew the Stones of the stage that day but despite its raggedness I quite like the Knebworth show. However I'm somewhat biased as I loathe Lynard Skynard.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: March 23, 2007 22:29

The Stones were so bad on the night, that even the proposed SFTD encore was abandoned...and yes, it's correct to say that Skynyrd stole the show. They were superb.

I still have all of the press cuttings to back me up.

Date: March 23, 2007 23:06

ChrisM Wrote:
> StonesTod Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > have you heard the stones' performance? milli
> > vanilli coulda have blown the stones off the
> stage
> > that day....
>
>
> C'mon Tod, they weren't so bad as all that! I
> remember a member of Skynard saying in a film clip
> that they blew the Stones of the stage that day
> but despite its raggedness I quite like the
> Knebworth show. However I'm somewhat biased as I
> loathe Lynard Skynard.

well, i LOOOOOOVE Lynyrd Skynyrd - hence, the correct spelling. I have no doubt they blew the lads off that day/night.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 23, 2007 23:11

skynard is cool. I like their ballads like "Simple Man" and "Tuesday's gone" as well as more hard rocking songs like "that smell".

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 23, 2007 23:27

so even if they did blow the stones away, which they did not btw, what band would you rather be, thanks

Date: March 23, 2007 23:28

melillo Wrote:
> so even if they did blow the stones away, which
> they did not btw, what band would you rather be,
> thanks

well, that's certainly relevant to the discussion! NOT! haha

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: March 23, 2007 23:36

the only time i have heard someone say that someone else blew them away was in 2003 in Toronto for the SARS benefit concert. Everyone that I know who went to that show (about 25 people in total, i had to work...) every single one of them basically said these words exactly "oh it was a wicked day, ACDC blew everyone away, they were way better than the stones'.
word on the street is that the stones mix in the PA sounded like crap for the first three songs, and it left a bad taste in everyone's mouth even after it was fixed. plus AC/DC just blow everything away when they play live

Date: March 23, 2007 23:46

StonesTod Wrote:
> melillo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > so even if they did blow the stones away, which
> > they did not btw, what band would you rather
> be,
> > thanks
>
> well, that's certainly relevant to the discussion!
> NOT! haha

well lets see the topic is skynard blew the stones away you moron, duh

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 24, 2007 00:25

melillo Wrote:
> so even if they did blow the stones away, which
> they did not btw, what band would you rather be,
> thanks

btw, whether or not they "blew the Stones away" is a matter of opinion.

I love Lynyrd Skynyrd and they were hot that day (Allen Collins!!). They had a reputation as a great live band and they were very consistant. We all know how great the Stones have been but remember......this was one of the Stones most inconsistant periods as far as playing live goes. They were caught up in the excesses of the '70's and Keith was somewhat diminished. It wasn't the Stones finest moment, nor was it their worse. Alot of people knock this show but it's not that bad, in my opinion anyway.

Date: March 24, 2007 00:27

everything said here is a matter of opinion. some are just a little less biased than others.....

Date: March 24, 2007 00:35

whatever man,bye bye

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 24, 2007 00:40

There was a timne in mid-70s when rock 'n roll went down the drain..
Vanished in weed smoke, prog music, jazz rock, peculiar experiments & fag rock...
In those days Skynyrd & Lizzy were gov'nor...
The Stones re-formed thou & arose like another Phoenix...

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 24, 2007 00:40

StonesTod Wrote:
> everything said here is a matter of opinion. some
> are just a little less biased than others.....

I know but I was referring to somebody expressing an opinion as if it was a fact. That happens alot here though. Somebody will argue that a song sucks even though whether a song is good or bad is basically a matter of taste.

Date: March 24, 2007 00:44

the discerned reader always understands it's an opinion. for the undiscerned - there's no hope anyway.....

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: March 24, 2007 00:46

I was at Knebworth and watched all the bands, I hadn't seen Lynryd Skynyd before but I thought they were really good. Everyone was raving about them when they were playing but when the Stones came on the whole crown went wild, dancing and singing along, as usual they were brilliant. I think Skynyd were good but the Stones were excellent.

Date: March 24, 2007 00:53

StonesTod Wrote:
> the discerned reader always understands it's an
> opinion. for the undiscerned - there's no hope
> anyway.....

yeah right, and for someone who is comparing SKYNARD to the STONES you need serous medical attention,LOL

Date: March 24, 2007 00:55

funny how you recognized yourself as one of the undiscerned...congrats!

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: March 24, 2007 01:05

I saw L.S in their prime, and I'll take middling(?) Stones anyday...at the show I saw, people were throwing cherry bombs, M-80's, whatever, at L.S. The frontman actually stopped the show for a minute.

Has anyone ever heard of a concert in Australia when The Saints opened for the Stones? I've heard stories about this, don't know if it's B.S. or not.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 24, 2007 01:08

Couldnt ya tell that Saints-story... ?

Date: March 24, 2007 01:38

The New Orleans Saints? At the Superdome?

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: March 24, 2007 01:39

The source of this was, I believe, Johnny Rotten. He was on a local Washington, D.C. radio station (syndicated?) "moderating" a "battle of the bands" between the Saints and the Ramones (mid-to late 70's? ). They would play a song by each, and J.R. would comment, as only he could. Since The Ramones were from America, and this was being broadcast to an American audience(?), J.R. took the side of the Saints, of course. In the middle of his discourse, I think he related a story about the Saints opening for the Stones, and performing the proverbial "blowing them off the stage" maneuver. I'm sorry I'm kind of hazy about the details, Rotten's story could all be B.S., that was a LONG time ago, and I was just a kid. At the time I was only vaguely aware of who Johnny Rotten was. I loved the Stones, loved the Ramones, and his comments made me go out and look for Saints albums. I finally found one called "I'm Stranded", and it was GREAT. I don't mean to be long-winded, that' all I've got. Bring on the Zilker Park DVD!!! Y'all have fun in Europe!!!

Best,

ShaTurd

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: March 24, 2007 01:55

Hi i was at kenbworth,stones came on late but they brilliant,STONES ARE STILL
ROLLING,where are lynyrd skynyrd?

Goto Page: 12345678910Next
Current Page: 1 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1697
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home