Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones taking out full page ads against ABCKO.
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 28, 2006 20:11

Can anyone post a pic of these ads? What was the story behind this.

ABCKO acquired the Stones' catalog when Allen Klein became their manager in the 70s. The resulting legal battles produced releases that the Stones opposed (they took out full page adds asking fans not to buy them), including the controversial Metamorphosis releases (which are now available on CD for the 1st time ever). But the sad fact is that the Stones lost control of their great early material.

Re: Stones taking out full page ads against ABCKO.
Posted by: jfm.iii ()
Date: December 28, 2006 20:30

all fans should boycott this. you will if you're a true fan. they deserve this money after all they've given us. do you want ticket prices to increase?? do you want to have to pay $500 for an RS.com membership fee or do you want the fees now (which, btw, are virtually nothing)?? shame on you if you try and enjoy something of theirs that they don't get the maximum amount of money

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 28, 2006 20:44

What the hell is going on here? Ironic sarcasm? Or even sarcastic irony?

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: December 28, 2006 20:45

i think ticket prices at least for arenas and stadiums are at their max - they're twice as much as other big names and they've saturated the major US markets.

what other releases did they oppose? i love metamorphosis and am glad it was released. so they're embarrassed about it? are they embarassed about satanic majesties?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 28, 2006 20:49

for crying in the dust, people, get a grip! this is a story from like 1970 or so.
the ads i recall were against Decca, not ABKCO, and it wasn't Metamorphosis they protested -
i forget the title, since i loyally boycotted it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-28 20:53 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: December 28, 2006 20:53

it was "Stone Age!

Date: December 28, 2006 20:54

yeah, that's the one - thanks Havo [passing popcorn]

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: December 28, 2006 20:58

i don't think 'stone age' ever got released in the states...
i remember finding it on the net and being surprised, and, of course, intersted in any stones album...
was this one of those 'competing release' situations back then when their current real new release promo was being sucked off and confused with the old label's strategy to market 'stone age'...?

i have to research to find out what's actually on 'stone age' because i guess i never dug into the import bin back then deep enough to find out about it...
i may be wrong; but i don't think it was ever really stocked in stateside stores.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-28 21:31 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: December 28, 2006 21:39

Stone Age, No Stone Unturned and Gimme Shelter were all shoddy compilations issued after the Stones launched their own label. Later on came Rolled Gold and a few others. I believe that they were all UK-only releases. I know I bought my copies at an import shop in the outskirts of L.A. in the early 70s.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: December 28, 2006 21:59

There was also one called something like 'Out Of Their Heads' which had a red cover photo of Mick surrounded by pictures of motorbikes (!?). I thought No Stone Unturned was a very worthwhile album at the time as it collected together most of the b-sides which weren't available on album.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 28, 2006 22:01

Tseverin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was also one called something like 'Out Of
> Their Heads' which had a red cover photo of Mick
> surrounded by pictures of motorbikes (!?).

that was "Rock 'n' Rolling Stones"

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: December 28, 2006 22:19

You're right as usual Gaz, my memory is getting very shot these days.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: December 29, 2006 01:34

Here's the advertisement that the Stones issued at the time of "Stone Age".

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 29, 2006 01:50

It seems the public was hungry of Stones stuff during that time:

UK Albums Chart
Week Ending 3 April 1971

1 ( NE) Home Loving Man (By Andy Williams) 1 Wk
2 ( NE) Cry Of Love (By Jimi Hendrix) 1 Wk
3 ( 1 ) Bridge Over Troubled Water (By Simon And Garfunkel) 59 Wks
4 ( NE) Stone Age (By Rolling Stones) 1 Wk
5 ( NE) Aqualung (By Jethro Tull) 1 Wk
6 ( NE) Portrait In Music (By Burt Bacharach) 1 Wk
7 ( 2 ) Andy Williams - Greatest Hits (By Andy Williams) 52 Wks
8 ( 6 ) Tumbleweed Connection (By Elton John) 12 Wks
9 ( NE) The Yes Album (By Yes) 1 Wk
10 ( 32) Led Zeppelin II (By Led Zeppelin) 74 Wks

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: December 29, 2006 02:16

I will go back in time and boycott this release immediately

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: December 29, 2006 02:59

I'm learning of this boycott more than 30 years too late. Taking these albums back for a refund is not even an option; the store where I bought them has long closed. What I can do is put these albums on a shelf in a closet, and vow to never open that closet again.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 29, 2006 03:11

Thanks for the list Georgelicks (as usual)! Can't believe how big Andy Williams was back then. Also, more than 35 years later, the majority of the top 10 list can be considered "classics"! I honestly don't think that 35 years from now, any album on the current top 10 will be considered that.

Date: December 29, 2006 03:26

Gazza Wrote:
> Tseverin Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There was also one called something like 'Out
> Of
> > Their Heads' which had a red cover photo of
> Mick
> > surrounded by pictures of motorbikes (!?).
>
> that was "Rock 'n' Rolling Stones"

i got this one in scotland in the 80's - it's all early 60s stuff if i remember - who released this?

are the songs off all these released listed somewhere?

Posted by: Estoneado ()
Date: December 29, 2006 03:59

Queenie, I'm Cristóbal, by the way...

Date: December 29, 2006 04:20

Estoneado Wrote:
> Queenie, I'm Cristóbal, by the way...

good to know...someone else has a similar username to your old one - but with spaces...

who's turn is it? yours, i thought...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 29, 2006 04:25

Andy Williams was really kicking ass with 2 top 10 albums. Not to forget Burt Bacharach.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: December 29, 2006 07:19

I fonldy remember collecting these wacked out UK anthologies in various shady record stores in Chicago, L.A. and elsewhere throughout the '90s. I'm a sucker for a good anthology, or even a bad one.

Re: Stones ads against Decca
Date: December 29, 2006 12:40

>> when Allen Klein became their manager in the 70s <<

from the Department of Historical Accuracy in Message Board Threads, which is having a slow morning:
Klein became the Stones' business manager in 1965. they severed ties with him in 1970,
and went through several years' worth of legal hassles trying to recover at least some of what he'd ripped off.
their relationship with ABKCO still isn't real amicable - in 03 or 04 they tried to get a court order for an audit
of ABKCO's income from 40 Licks. but (as noted above) the protest ads were decades ago, and they were against Decca.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 29, 2006 15:56

Wikipedia is largely responsible for spreading the misinformation that ABKCO acquired the Stones back catalog in 1970. The copyrights on their recorded works and their song publishing were originally controlled by Andrew Loog Oldham and Eric Easton through Immediate Records and Southern Songs, respectively. In 1965, these copyrights and publishing rights were transferred to Allen Klein. Decca Records and London Records distributed these recordings just as Atlantic Records, EMI, CBS/Sony, and Virgin distributed their post-1970 output over the years. Andrew Oldham created the business model that Klein and later the Stones themselves have followed: own everything yourself and license it to a larger corporation to handle distribution. The sixties back catalog is Mr. Klein's legal property. It does not revert to the band after a period of time. Unless Mr. Klein chooses to sell the catalog, it passes to his heirs upon his death. That's business just as much as exorbitant ticket prices, fan club membership, and tie-in releases with Starbucks or Best Buy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2004
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home