Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Keith Richards Clean Electric Solo on Wild Horses Studio
Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: December 15, 2006 06:31

I really think Mick Taylor does the solo on "Dead Flowers" on the studio version. I could be wrong.......I think Keith is playing the country type fills behind the solo but I'd pretty well bet the farm that it's Taylor. I'll listen to it closely though and see what I think.....I had always accepted that it was Taylor......

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: December 15, 2006 07:23

Tumblin Dice 07 wrote:

I really think Mick Taylor does the solo on "Dead Flowers" on the studio version. I could be wrong.......I think Keith is playing the country type fills behind the solo but I'd pretty well bet the farm that it's Taylor.

I think you are spot on with this assessment. Two guitars playing lead. The prominent one is Taylor's, playing similar licks as to what he did on HTW.

Posted by: musicsmyteefine ()
Date: December 15, 2006 08:02

yawn....

Posted by: musicsmyteefine ()
Date: December 15, 2006 08:05

Didn't mean you terraplane (good name btw!) with the yawn....that was directed at the initial sniping on this thread...love Ronnie and Keith's playing and soloing.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: December 15, 2006 09:15

No offence taken...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 15, 2006 11:47

Mathijs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The solo on Wild Horses is Taylor. Keith does all
> the fills in the left channel, Taylor all the
> gentle picking in the right channel. The solo
> guitar sounds like a one-taker, ad it's absolutely
> Taylor.
>
> Mathijs

Sory guys, I was in a hurry while I posted what I stated here. I meant: The solo on DEAD FLOWERS is by Taylor.

The solo on Wild Horses is all Keith, no mistaking there. And, on Wild Horses the solo is played in standard tuning. You hear Keith play double stops on the G and high E string (in the C/F bridge for example).

Mathijs

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 15, 2006 18:38

The debate on who plays the solo on Dead Flowers (and indeed other songs) has been a recurring one on this board for many years and in some cases no consensus is ever reached.

I have always thought that Keith Richards played the Dead Flowers solo and Mathijs you have stated on at least one occasion that you thought so as well as this quote from a thread dated February of last year shows:

(Re: SF Posted by: Mathijs (IP Logged)
Date: February 18, 2005 14:30
DandelionPowderman Wrote:
> (Taylor's "boring" solos on CYHMK and
> DF...).

That's Keith on Dead Flowers, not Taylor. tw, I love the song Symphony for the Devil.

Mathijs

I have to ask you then what prompted you to change your mind? Can you tell me which elements of the solo point to Taylor and not to Keith? I have posted my thoughts on this but I'd really like to hear yours. Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-15 18:40 by ChrisM.

Date: December 22, 2006 18:34

Thread bump. I'm still interested in having an discussion on this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-10 05:02 by ChrisM.

Date: January 10, 2008 05:04

Bump one more time. I've been waiting over a year Mathijs for your response. Damn good thing I haven't been holding my breath!

Posted by: Jochem ()
Date: January 10, 2008 05:29

listen to Wild horses as played on Knebworth 76. blows me away every time
all electric and very very cool

Date: January 10, 2008 06:57

I have done so on many occasions. Still, my favorite is from Stick Fingers. One of Keith's finest moments, IMHO.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 10, 2008 09:16

>>Bump one more time. I've been waiting over a year<<

heck, it sounds even more dramatic when you include the last date...

Date: December 22, 2006 17:34

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 10, 2008 10:32

It's absolute bollocks to suggest that Keith "isn't up to playing solos" any more.
If I hear that drivel once more, I think I'll scream !

I'm not oblivious to why folks form this silly opinion..and it is largely Keith's own fault. He just needs to pay a bit more attention to what he's playing and at bit less to gurning at the fans !

I know this wasn't the topic under discussion...but it gets freakin' everywhere !

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: January 10, 2008 13:18

wow a blast from the past thread lives another day.You wonder how keith finally killed the clean electric solo, the outtakes of his solo are so bad it makes you cringe, that a young guitar hero could play and sound that bad.

play that guitar boy

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 10, 2008 13:32

Thats why they're called 'outakes'!

Date: January 10, 2008 13:35

for some guitar gods it only takes ONE take .

play that guitar boy

Date: January 10, 2008 13:38

What, Peal Jam eh?

Date: January 10, 2008 13:49

Pearl Jam is a great live band, maybe some day you might get it. Mr Taylor only does ONE time Takes, he would get bored probably playing the same thing more than once.

play that guitar boy.

Date: January 10, 2008 13:52

Ah bless. How on earth do bands survive without their own MT???

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 10, 2008 14:46

How did Pearl Jam (great band indeed) get into the discussion?

OpenG:

if you actually listen to the outtakes you will easily understand how differently keith and taylor develop a guitar part. At the end of the day what matters is that they both recorded some great final takes.

keith follows his instict, he completely immedesiamtes himself in the tonal / musical context of the piece of music he is creating, he focuses on sounds (timbre of instruments, overtones of particular bends or double stops etc.), rythms, notes in the context of the of the song. All of the above MAY sound a complete mess but makes sense to HIM. As I said, the results are always brillant.

Have you ever noticed how many diverse (in style, rythm, sound, impact on the song etc.) solos Keith has recorded? So many and so diverse one from the other that most listeners wouldn't bet a penny that they are performed by keith.

That is his way of doing things.

On the other hand, MT developed his melodies starting from scales and given patterns. That is why his first takes sound good. Because if you play some smart lick from the correct scale, and you add that monster vibrato and sublime touch, it cannot sound bad! But his best solos are much more than that. If you analyze better, you will notice that also MT takes his time to develop his lines. At the beginning he comes up with some ideas, that is all. All the rest is just pre-canned (wonderful) licks. Comparing live takes of the same song as the tour porgreses gives a clear idea of what I mean. There is a very long way between the solo in Hyde Park's Devil and Ya Ya's version- The same goes for his studio works. All the stones (including MT) rehearsed all parts ad nauseam ...

C

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: January 11, 2008 13:06

Are you sure he was clean during that solo?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 11, 2008 15:38

Very true comments from Liddas. Keith works in "mysterious ways"...which accounts for some of the negative comments about his playing.
He often wings it just the same live...the difference then being that he doesn't get another go at the bit's that didn't work when.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: January 11, 2008 19:26

I haven't plowed through all three pages of this thread yet, so maybe somebody has already made this point.........but "Wild Horses" is hardly the only case of Keith doing a solo in the studio that Taylor or Wood wound up playing live. "Tumbling Dice" and "Happy" come to mind.

Also, I don't believe that Keith played the solo on "Dead Flowers". I do respect the opinion of any person who believes that he did, but I don't agree with it. I think the solo is Taylor and the angular riffs underneath the solo, more like fills really, are Keith.

edit: I just realised this was an old thread that I posted on last year. Sorry if I'm repeating myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-11 19:29 by Tumblin_Dice_07.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2124
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home