Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
"Their satanic majesties request"
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: December 5, 2006 22:48

Heard this album last night in full length. Its still my opinion--the only song I like is "2000 man" Most dissapointing Rolling Stones-Album ever
other minds?

Re: "Their satanic majesties request"
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 5, 2006 22:51

I like it, I prefer it over many of their other albums.

It's the 'sing this altogether' songs/jams' that really let it down, but I think most of the other songs are very cool.

Posted by: Seinfeld ()
Date: December 5, 2006 22:54

It freaked the hell outta me when I first heard it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-05 22:55 by Seinfeld.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 5, 2006 23:00

lurv it

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: December 5, 2006 23:01

sing this song together is their worst song ever! How embarassing!

Re: Their Satanic Majesties Request
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 5, 2006 23:03

it's got flaws but i love it.
hark to the beautiful guitar winding its way through it: the Lantern is a step toward SFTD,
and in On With the Show it sounds like ... dawn breakin at the end of a very wired night.
and - okay so maybe you had to be 12 years old when it came out to get this, but: i love its attitude
in the context of what the Establishment had just tried to do to the Rolling Stones, it's such a great glorious FVCK YOU ALL -
"where's that joint" indeed

hail hail Rolling Stones!

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: December 5, 2006 23:04

I think there are some good songs on it, like "Citadel", "2000 lightyears from hom", "In Antoher Land". These tunes are dark psychedelic rock at it's best. And of course "She's a Rainbow" is a nice tune.

But there are also some crap material, like "Sing This Song All Together".

My definiation of a good record is a record you can listen thru from start to end without a need for jumping over a track and switch to the next. So I do not rate "Satanic..." as a classic rock album, but there are worse stones albums out there. For example Dirty Work. I actually prefer Satanic before Between The Buttons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-05 23:05 by The Worst..

Posted by: PedroThePimp ()
Date: December 5, 2006 23:06

I like it...I like it alot!!!!!!!

2000 Light Years was way cool on the 89 tour

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 5, 2006 23:08

J.J.Flash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sing this song together is their worst song ever!
> How embarassing!

b.s. - you know you sing along to it everytime....who you think you foolin?

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: December 5, 2006 23:10

In my top 5 albums. No album they put out from 81-present beats it, that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: December 5, 2006 23:13

I got 2000 Light Years From Home live in Göteborg back in 1990 and hearing that song live really opened my eyes for this elpee. That was one of the most powerfull songs I have seen live, ever. Yes, there are a few bits and pieces that are ..... well... not so good, but still an extremely under rated elpee. I do play it regurlarly, like one a month or so, and I like it yes I dooooo

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: December 5, 2006 23:15

I bought the album in High School...brought it home and threw it on the turn table...couldn't believe how bad it was...went right back to the record store to try and return it...they wouldn't take it back because I opened it (duh)...

Went back home, put it back on the turn table...really listened to it and fell in love with it...it stayed there for a month...listened to it every day after school...

the reality is...it is probably their worst album song wise...but if there is anything in this world (save Austin Powers) that captures the psychodelic swinging London scene of the 60's...Satanic Majesties is definitely the soundtrack...

Most is crap...but you can't deny "2000 Light Years From Home" , "2000 Man" , "She's A Rainbow" and Bill Wyman's only solo writing credit "In Another Land" (which I am sure he still waits for his writer statement from ABKCO!) All great songs in their own way.

And Yes...2000 Light Years From Home was a highlight on the Steel Wheels Tour!

PECMAN

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: December 5, 2006 23:22

I love it too. Have always did, since first time I heard it (circa '71).
To me, there is a truer psychedelic attitude to it than Sgt. Pepper. Not just the openly drug references, but that irreverence and darkness.

There is not point in putting down Pepper, which is still a great collection of songs.

Satanic is also very musical and melodic, in a way that doesn't owe too much to the Beatles in fact.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: December 5, 2006 23:26

I also prefer it over Between the Buttons. If you look at the times and all the psychedilia going on than you realize that an album like this will never sound as fresh as say an album like Sticky Fingers, which is pretty timeless.

I think there are some great songs on Satanic but also some very experimental which seems to turn off a lot of people. The Satanic Session 8 disc set is pretty interesting just seeing how some of these songs came together. I am happy the Stones experimented with this sort of music, I don't really think you can properly rank this album with the rest because its just plain different. If you added We Love You, Dandelin and Child of the Moon you'd have a stronger album song wise but in general I think the album is really great and marks an important period in the Stones history.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: December 5, 2006 23:40

yeah---was surprised when they do "2000 Light years" on the "Steel Wheels" tour

--but ia am child of "out of our heads" and "Aftermath"---and in 67 they shocked me.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: December 6, 2006 00:10

Well, this discussion really made me....guess what. Yes, I am just listening to 2000 light years right now... What an elpee this is. Just like vine, getting better by the years

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: jagbo ()
Date: December 6, 2006 00:32

I think it's great and the Mickboy remaster which he 86ed sing this all together (9 minutes of noise) and included dandelion and child of the moon and some others from that time is the way it should have been released. Citadel is a rocker!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 6, 2006 01:01

jagbo Wrote:
> I think it's great and the Mickboy remaster which
> he 86ed sing this all together (9 minutes of
> noise) and included dandelion and child of the
> moon and some others from that time is the way it
> should have been released. Citadel is a rocker!

The 7" songs, We Love You, Dandelion and Child Of The Moon should been have included, instead of some of the lousy ones on TSMR.
It would had been much much better.
I'm not one of the Satanic fans. There's only 2 songs there I think is great.
Then again, I've never done acid.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: December 6, 2006 01:14

I dont care If I like it or not ..it has..She s A Rainbow...the greatest pop-song ever!!!

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: December 6, 2006 02:08

satanic majesties and steel wheels score 2nd and 3rd worst of all rolling stones albums, by a survey i done on this site as voted by people that use this site.

i like both, as for satanic, apart from 2 or 3 songs, the rest of it is good, and yes it is better than anything the stones have done since 1981.

but obviously thats not the majority opinion.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: December 6, 2006 02:56

jagbo Wrote:
> I think it's great and the Mickboy remaster which
> he 86ed sing this all together (9 minutes of
> noise) and included dandelion and child of the
> moon and some others from that time is the way it
> should have been released. Citadel is a rocker!

Is it possible to do a trade? I have Mickboy Get yer ya ya's, with a few Altamont songs as bonus.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: December 6, 2006 03:24

There some gems on this album. the only mistake they made was bringing it out after the beatles pepper album.ive have the original 3D cover.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 6, 2006 03:33

Spice it up with We Love You, Dandelion, Child Of The Moon and omit 3 tracks you don't like and you'll get the best psychedelic rock album ever recorded.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 6, 2006 04:00

Pecman Wrote:
> And Yes...2000 Light Years From Home was a
> highlight on the Steel Wheels Tour!

YouTube video:

2000 Light Years From Home

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 6, 2006 06:45

I dont think Child of the Moon was ready for release in 67 though, the version released as a b side was recorded in 1968.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 6, 2006 07:30

I have the original 3d cover also. Did you know that you can find little faces of the John, Paul, George and Ringo hidden in the blurry flowers? The Stones were returning a favor. Sgt. Pepper's cover shows a doll wearing a shirt which reads "Welcome the Rolling Stones."

I spent a long time looking for the Beatles faces on Satanic Majesties' cover when I was a kid. Easiest to find is George, hardest to find is John.

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: December 6, 2006 09:57

I like it, except: Sing this all together part 1 and 2, Gomper and On with the show.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 6, 2006 10:17

It is a very good album with a true masterpiece: sing this all together.

I can understand why people don't like it: it does not have the easy pop structure, a flashy solo, a strong hook, it's long, it's not a rocker, it's not slow etc.

BUT

Give it one more try, and focus on the guitar: the range of Keith's licks and riffs is almost a full anticipation of what he then developed in the "renaissance" years of beggars and bleed, the percussions, the are out of this world, the floating tempo, slow then fast - Face it, this is genius!

C

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: December 6, 2006 13:56

For me it was that Stones album you went to after you'd played all the other ones to death. still wanted Stones but wanted something different. TSMR is an acquired taste. it defintely grows on you...in a good way. remember this was back an in era when they were releasing 2 albums per year...at a very high point in their career...so they could afford to experiment a little.

it was the one i most looked forward to hearing from the recent SACD releases.

(always thought the cover art was cheesey. liked the 3-d thing but backdrop & costumes could have been done much better.)

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: December 6, 2006 14:37

retired_dog Wrote:
> Spice it up with We Love You, Dandelion, Child Of
> The Moon and omit 3 tracks you don't like and
> you'll get the best psychedelic rock album ever
> recorded.

Great point.
They smokes a little too much pot for their own good these days.

Satanic is of course among the worst albums; but I want
to put light on Citadel, a true rock song in the actual production.
2,000 LYFH is a warhorse or pretty close to.

The GREAT thing with the Stones is that they always try new paths.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2576
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home