Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Seeding on DIME
Posted by: zee ()
Date: August 19, 2006 17:39

As the previous thread brought up the downloading proceedure...I wonder if there is any help I could get in regards to UPLOADING...I have over 500 Stones Boots I would like to share, preferably on DIME...I being the techno challenged person that I am cannot for the life of me figure out how to first of all file them on my computer, and secondly upload them to DIME which requires a 25% share rate before I can download anything. DIME sent me a 20 page tutorial which frankly put me in therapy for months. Can any one point by point easily explain how I seed...much appreciated!

Re: Seeding on DIME
Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: August 19, 2006 18:57

I have uploaded DVD material basically because it was verystraightforward!

I`d also like an idiot`s guide to upload audio material.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: August 19, 2006 19:49

OK, here's how you do it:

#1. Download a program called uTorrent. Any other torrent program is complete crap compared to this one. From a size pespective, functionality angle and the amount of system resources it uses.

#2. On the 'upload' page for dime (or any other tracker) this is an 'announce' url. You wanna keep that handy.

#3. Open up uTorrent. Click File. Click Create New Torrent. Click Add Directory, and find wherever you have your files stored. Put the 'announce' url in, and his 'create and save'. Then it'll make your torrent file.

#4 Go to dime's upload page, put in the information on what you're uploading, and hit browse and upload the torrent file you just created.

#5 Now that everything's there you should be able to finalize the torrent easily, and once the new page comes up you simply download the torrent you just created like you would any other torrent. When uTorrent pops up asking where you want to save it, just save it to the directory where you have all the files stored. Then you'll be the seeder.

Sounds complicated but its not that bad. Hopefully this helped.

-Drake

Posted by: zee ()
Date: August 19, 2006 19:59

Thanks Drake!

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: August 19, 2006 20:12

Good luck on Dime, I get the impression that if it is Stones material, the moderators have a very quick hand in banning it.

Posted by: brokenhands ()
Date: August 20, 2006 11:00

barbabang Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good luck on Dime, I get the impression that if it
> is Stones material, the moderators have a very
> quick hand in banning it.

I disagree. They DID ban the recent Steel Wheels Monitor Mix stuff, but it was rather half-hearted! I swear it was up on the tracker for over a day before the "banned" it due to lineage questions.

I prefer to think they let it slide for a bit, giving folks a chance to snag it, and then dropped the hammer after a good many folks managed to grab it.

I don't blame them for being careful - avoid having the RIAA on your back if you can help it! smiling smiley It's kind of a bit much at times, like when an audience tape of the Ya-Ya's shows had to be banned because it was officially recorded and parts of it were used for a commercial release. They're just covering all the bases - it would be a terrible shame if they got shut down, so better safe than sorry.

Date: August 20, 2006 12:37

Drake...........

What you described is how I uploaded DVD material and mpegs.............with audio material I believe it is a bit more complicated......... when you rip the CD to your hard-drive do you not have to encode the wav files to flac or SHN files and also ensure there are no gaps between tracks etc?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-20 12:38 by GuessWho.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 20, 2006 12:38

Then put it on Rocks Off instead, only Stones stuff there: [rollingstones.kicks-ass.org]

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: August 20, 2006 16:36

There's a freeware proggie that I see a lot of the seeders use to rip cds, if it's good enough for them it might be worth checking out

[www.exactaudiocopy.de]

Once you've got them as wavs, then yes, you want to compress them in a LOSSLESS form, shn is the older, flac is used pretty exclusively now & again it's a small freeware app flacfrontend which you can find here.

[flac.sourceforge.net]

We're assuming you've got broadband, dialup is just way to slow. It's a good idea to have a look @ the way in which they up things @ dime, they like to know lineage (what is the source), how you've ripped it, how did you get it into flac form. Just check out a couple of the torrents to get a feel for it.

Rocks Off is a bit more lenient but one thing to remember is not to torrent mp3 sourced material, get yourself a frequency analyser to check the wav form of your files. Mp3s drop out @ about 16khz, you can see it as a 'waterfall' @ that mark.

This forum is an EXCELLENT place to post mp3s.

Keep asking, I remember being a newbie

Date: August 20, 2006 19:09

Thanks for the info.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: August 20, 2006 19:11

What I described was for ANY torrent. Doesnt matter whether its audio, video or a picture book you've scanned into your computer. You just pick your directory, create the torrent using the announce url, and so on. Its fairly straightforward. As far as ripping discs goes, I recomend [www.exactaudiocopy.org] as its flawless. Encoding your wavs to flac is prefered but thats all up to you, the uploader. You can seed you raw wavs and they'll work just fine, but they'll be bigger than a flac rip.

-Drake

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1932
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home