Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
John Lennon On The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: July 20, 2006 22:41

Not nice words about our Band!!!

Re: John Lennon On The Rolling Stones
Posted by: 12X5 ()
Date: July 20, 2006 23:13

Lennon was very bitter about a lot of people in that interview.

The other Beatles, Bob Dylan, Mick...he slags alot of people. Sounds like he was angry about some things that Mick had said about the Beatles too.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 21, 2006 00:48

Keith Richards 1992

ROCKMAN

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: July 21, 2006 01:35

Rockman (IP Logged)
Date: July 21, 2006 00:48

Keith Richards 1992

ROCKMAN

--------------------------------
THANKS !

That it is !!!!

Gerhard

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: July 21, 2006 01:49

Well you have to understand where John is coming from when he claims the Stones copied" the Beatles! He IS right about Satanic Majesties copying Sgt Pepper and how the Stones tried to out-do the Beatles but all of that worked well for us fans! I truly believe that the Beatles made the Stones try harder and create better music, for us!! Real Stones fans should not be angry with John because he was right but so what?? Someone had to come first, the Beatles were First to break ground on a huge scale and as trail-breakers they led the way for a ton of bands that we all love, including the Kinks, the Animals, and most British Invasion bands!

Posted by: beast of burden ()
Date: July 21, 2006 02:03

Spot on Debra

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: July 21, 2006 02:32

Regardless how they knocked each other they respected each other.John was jealous over the Stones rawness and bluesiness,while Mick was jealous of there across the board acceptance.John new the Stones were awesome,but he had nothing to worry about .The Stones and Mccartney made John write his greatest songs!!that time

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: July 21, 2006 03:29

I totally agree with John Lennon, I am big fan of the Stones, the are the best for me, but he is saying the real truth, Stones tried to follow the stela of the Liverpool guys, He is not angry with anyone, he is just telling us the reality of the facts. After the Stones finished try to copy or try to have the StonesĀ“s style, things came together, John was a very good friend of keith and Jagger, more with keith because all the rock and rock history.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: July 21, 2006 03:32

CurtisDavis,
john Lennon was the complete leader of the beatles, he wrote the best songs ever, what are you saying amigo? just read their own biographies and interviews, John Lennon was and is one the best writers in the history of music.

Date: July 21, 2006 03:41

I'm saying John like anybody else was inspired by his peers and fello band members like anybody else.P.S. I dont;t get into Lennon vs Mccartney,anyway they treated George like #$%^.I love the Beatles and the Stones

l

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: July 21, 2006 03:41

Keith has done nothing but praise John in many interviews... John called Mick a "fag" and a "joke" in one famous interview...

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: July 21, 2006 04:15

Let's not forget that in a recent interview in Rolling Stone magazine Jagger said that of all the musicians that have passed on he missed Lennon the most. He had some nice things to say about him. Mick also used to, or still might, have an apartment very close to the Dakota and I think they spent some time together in the mid to late 70's.Low key visits, no photo's, but probably more then we know about.

Date: July 21, 2006 04:27

True ,they probably hung out alot at each others place out of the spotlight

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: July 21, 2006 05:04

Jagger lived right next door to Lennon in the Dakota as far as I'm aware. They were pretty tight esp thru the early to mid 70s.

Mick has said some not so flattering things about the Beatles over the years which made me wonder about him inducting them into the Hall of Fame.

I remember reading recently him slagging them off in general esp "Revolver".
Boggles my mind that anyone could dislike that masterpiece but anyways...

I think the prob here is is that these people that are in the public eye and also famous, are stuck on record for eternity when they speak without thinking or are having a bad day or whatever.

I've said things to my wife for eg about friends of mine from time to time that aren't so flattering. Doesn't mean I still don't love 'em or think the world of them. Also doesn't mean that I read it in next month's issue of Rolling Stone realising that my words will more than likely be seen by the friend I was whining about.

JL for all of his peace work was also a very disgruntled and angry soul that wasn't imumune to lashing out physically.

I don't care what they (Stones/Beatles/Who/Hendrix/Zeppelin and so on) say about one another. I just listen to and love their music.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 21, 2006 05:54

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-07 07:12 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 21, 2006 06:04

roundnround Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
John called Mick a "fag" and a
> "joke" in one famous interview...

Sounds like the famous Rolling Stone interview that became the book "Lennon Remembers"

As I recall, he mentioned Mick's "fag dancing" (true) which is not really the same as calling him a fag.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: July 21, 2006 09:57

>I think they spent some time together in the mid to late 70's.Low key visits, no photo's,

Actually there are a few photos of them together from that period. There's a funny story in the Warhol Diaries in which Mick was offering Interview editor Bob Colacello a spoon of coke when John Lennon walked in the room; Mick rushed to give him a hug and put the spoon under his nose (leaving Colacello in the dust). If that damn book had an index I would find that passage and quote it.

Posted by: Bockwuchsd ()
Date: July 21, 2006 10:55

Mick never lived in the Dakota

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: July 21, 2006 13:44

Well I may well be mistaken then.

I remember once Mick stirring JL up by sending him postcards of what was going on outside cos John had become a recluse (circa '75).
Also Mick leaving notes at the desk for him asking him to get in touch as "I only live next door".

I may have misunderstood that to mean the same building. Either way Mick must have lived in the early 70s in the Upper West side.

Anybody know the details?

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Date: July 21, 2006 15:00

Mick lived about 4 blocks from the Dakota in an apartment called the LANGHAM, a nice place, with doorman and guards etc. It was on 81st and Central Park West, NYC; I know because that was the exact location where I met Mick.

Date: July 21, 2006 15:03

P.S. I did NOT bring that up to mention the meeting but to confirm the location of Mick's place; it was a 2 minute walk from the Dakota, if that! Mick moved from that apartment to one quite a distance away in the late 80's; does anyone know if he still owns that one?

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: July 21, 2006 15:52

The only stone I remember reading that slagged the Beatles was Ian Stewart,

"The Beatles...I thought they were nice lads who wrote pretty songs but they are horribly overated. In fact, most of the Liverpool groups were overrated. They were all musically completely inept. Some of them could sing, but they could never play their instruments. I mean, you could count the number of good musicians who came out of Liverpool on one hand." Ian Stewart 1975

When did Mick slagg off the Beatles? I'm not saying he didn't I just don't remeber reading any interviewes where he does.

Date: July 21, 2006 16:24

A bit ot. Charlie Watts:

I've heard you've written a book about Charlie Parker.Is it available anymore?

Anymore? It was only available for a year, and no one would stock it at the time. It came out when the Lennon book, In His Own Write, did-the same publisher that did Lennon's book did my book. But the stores wouldn't take mine because of what it was. A lot of people ask me about it. It's got all of Parker's life in it, all wrapped around this fictitious bird. It's written for kids, you'd get through it in a minute.

How did you adjust to playing the rhythm&blues?

I listened to the records, and Alexis taught me. And Keith and Brian taught me.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: July 21, 2006 16:28

Debra Wrote:
> .....He IS right about Satanic Majesties
> copying Sgt Pepper .......

While it's obvious that the Satanic Majesties cover nicked Sgt. Pepper, I believe much of the recording of TSMR took place in the first half of 1967 prior to the release of SPLHCB. So I've never completely bought into the conventional wisdom that TSMR was just a copy of SPLHCB. Yes, I know TSMR was released six months after SPLHCB. Still, everybody was dipping into the same acid back then.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 21, 2006 16:46

Satanic Majesties is a weak album, but the Beatles are on the cover, this shows some irony. I must say that John Lennon did some great things with the Beatles,
but he envied the Stones( and Macca as well) in the seventies because he ran out of ideas fast. I do not care if someone stays in bed for weeks, you do not stop any war if you stay in bed, and Imagine is the most overrated song I can imagine.

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: July 21, 2006 18:44

Debra, Somehow I get the feeling Mick doesn't spend that much time in NYC anymore so as far as having an apartment there now I don't know. He seems to spend more time in LA than he used to. I know on 9/11/2001 his Daughter Elizabeth was living in NYC - since he was trying to call her all day - but it seemed like Lower Manhattan so that would be another apt or rented (or maybe Keiths). Speaking about Lennon/Jagger there is some NBC? news footage of a guy interviewing John and Yoko (with Sean at about 3 or 4) at the Circus in NYC (MSG I think) with Mick sitting behind them and giving John a note and saying bye right before the interview started. Maybe Mick felt upstaged, I'm not sure the interviewer recognized him even though later the voice over spoke about Jagger being there too......

windmelody, ummm, I don't think John REALLY thought laying in bed was gonna stop the war (but I see the whole concept went over your head) it was a protest - see?. What are you pitting Lennon against the Stones for? Lennon's place in history as an A-1 musical genius is written in stone. Who cares about IMAGINE, there's hundreds of other songs. GIMME SOME TRUTH off the same album that has Imagine is a masterpiece that Pearl Jam play live to this very day.LOOK, LISTEN, LEARN and then, Get real.....

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: July 21, 2006 19:22

mick said in response to paul mccartney's boasting that i wanna be your man was a crappy little song that was only good because of brian's slide guitar playing...

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 21, 2006 19:36

windmelody Wrote:
----I
> do not care if someone stays in bed for weeks, you
> do not stop any war if you stay in bed, and
> Imagine is the most overrated song I can imagine.

Lennon did: the Vietnam war. Dont try this at home.

Date: July 23, 2006 18:35

MicksBrain, you may be right about Mick not hanging out in NYC much these days and I think it may be indicative of Mick's maturity(not that he's been immature lately) and his love of the more pastural lifestyle! He loves tranquilty, gardening, bird-watching, which I do as well, and it's a good thing! He is not such a city-lover these days! Funny how getting older brings different interests to us! Not that he doesn't enjoy clubbing and dancing now and again but it not so important anymore. I'd imagine being on the road for such long periods of time can drive you crazy, people around you 24/7, in your face so constantly! I can understand Charlie wanting to quit, he's such a shy man!

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: July 23, 2006 20:35

Bockwuchsd Wrote:
> Mick never lived in the Dakota

That's right! He lived on Central Park West and 71st. (Still owns that pad!) The Dakota is CPW and 72nd. But it is next door. Anyway, they stopped hanging out after Lennons Lost Weekend (when he and Yoko had split up). Bowie, Keith, Jagger, Lennon and a few other heavy party lions did a lot of unhealthy stuff. As described by Bebe Buell, who had affairs (well - yeah, a groupie, but still) with at least two of them. Jagger and Bowie.)
Yoko didn't like Lennon to hang out with Jagger. But he and Keith remained friends. So when Lennon was shot, and Keith found out, he picked up one of his guns and headed uptown to take the killer down...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2350
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home