Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones should close TOTP
Posted by: macker ()
Date: July 18, 2006 16:01

As many of you will know, Top of The Pops has been a musical institution in the UK, since it was launched in the sixties. Sadly, however, the BBC has decided to axe the programme this autumn, probably due to the vast selection of music channels now available to viewers.

The Rolling Stones opened the first show in 1964, hosted by Jimmy Saville and appeared many times through the sixties and seventies. The last time I remember any of the Stones appearing on the show was Mick Jagger running round the studio promoting Let's Work, from Primitive Cool!

I was thinking how fitting it would be for them to close the last show. Perhaps if BV has any influence on the Stones' inner circle, he could put this suggestion forward to both them and the BBC. They're in Europe, anyway and tuned up ready to go.

Re: Stones should close TOTP
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 18, 2006 16:06

Of course it would be cool and despite it's downward spiral, Top Of The Pops remained an institution and right to the end, it was one of the shows bands (including credible ones) WANTED to appear on.

There’s just one snag. What would the Stones perform? They're latest smash hit, The Biggest Mistake? Can’t see it happening unfortunately.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 18, 2006 16:10

TOTP is small fry now...... nostalgic to close but it aint gonna happen.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: July 18, 2006 16:16

last show is sunday July 30th

indeed, it would be fitting if The Stones closed the show-
but sadly, the BBC, don't have the wit or the wisdom, to go full circle, in such an intelligent and touching way.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 18, 2006 16:25

the show should have closed down after Mick's ludicrous lip-synch mincing to 'lets work' in 1987!

the downward spiral became terminal from that best forgotten moment on! I was so embarrassed I watched that performance from behind the sofa.

The memory of it still makes me shudder

Date: July 18, 2006 16:26

Big Al Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Of course it would be cool and despite it's
> downward spiral, Top Of The Pops remained an
> institution and right to the end, it was one of
> the shows bands (including credible ones) WANTED
> to appear on.

Honourable exception : The Clash. Quite right too!
>
> There’s just one snag. What would the Stones
> perform? They're latest smash hit, The Biggest
> Mistake? Can’t see it happening unfortunately.

the same song they played on the first show....I Wanna Be Your Man

The Rolling Stones - tha Alpha and Omega

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-18 16:27 by Gazza.

Date: July 18, 2006 16:37

Led Zeppelin, famously, refused to appear on the show,
and more recently, so did The Arctic Monkeys.

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: July 18, 2006 17:10

60,s and 70,s TOTP was the stalwart of music progs. But mostly after that it was mainly full of the most awaful noise. With the odd exception here and there. I liken early TOTP to Radio Caroline. So it hasn't really gone away. It already went. Anyone remember The Old Grey Whistle Test with Annie Nightingale and whispering Bob Harris? Now that's what I call a music prog. And yes, of course the Stones should end it. But try telling that to the bosses at the Beeb.

Date: July 18, 2006 17:20

jagger50 Wrote:
> And yes, of course the Stones should end it. But try telling
> that to the bosses at the Beeb.

Err, I am.....via someone I know who works for Auntie, but I am sure they have already thought of it anyway. Could be we have blown their surprise!

How difficult would it be to perform a song ('I Wanna Be Your Man' perhaps) from one of their soundchecks to close the last programme?

Will let you know if I even get a reply!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 18, 2006 17:37

Adrian-L Wrote:
> Led Zeppelin, famously, refused to appear on the
> show,
> and more recently, so did The Arctic Monkeys.

The same goes for Oasis too. They said never appear again over sound problems of their performance of The Hindu Times. They stuck to their word and have'nt been back since.

Sigh... I suppose The Arctic Monkeys probably think it's not cool or credible to appear on the show. This, a band who are so cool and "with it" that they did'nt recognise David Bowie at one of their gigs!

Date: July 18, 2006 17:40

Oasis are a bit different, Alex - they were happy enough to play the show and milk the exposure for years until they felt they didnt need it (a bit like a couple of other bands they owe a large debt to.. winking smiley)

Other bands simply refused from the outset to have anything to do with it

Date: July 26, 2006 11:03

It transpires the Stones will OPEN the last TOTP on Sunday.....the programme will begin with a tape of the band performing 'The Last Time' and the show will end with the current Number One.......which probably won't be the Stones.

Date: July 26, 2006 11:05

Manofwealthandtaste Wrote:
> It transpires the Stones will OPEN the last TOTP
> on Sunday.....the programme will begin with a tape
> of the band performing 'The Last Time'

good news- i will be watching

Date: July 26, 2006 11:58

Manofwealthandtaste Wrote:
> It transpires the Stones will OPEN the last TOTP
> on Sunday.....the programme will begin with a tape
> of the band performing 'The Last Time'

seriously? Nice touch

and the
> show will end with the current Number
> One.......which probably won't be the Stones.

"Probably" ??? LOL

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: July 26, 2006 12:15

I can understand WHY the show failed. It was all lip-syncing. In my mind, watching a band play live is fun. Even a horrible band in my mind like Coldplay, just a live performance. But they always lip-sync. And there's one thing in life I hate, and that's lip-syncing!!

Posted by: maine road ()
Date: July 26, 2006 12:20

Does anyone know if it a tape of the Stones singing 'The Last Time' in the 1960's or is it a tape of the band of today peroforming the song?

Date: July 26, 2006 12:29

It will be from the 60's in glorious black and white.....here are the full details from the BEEB :

Top of the Pops: The Final Countdown
Sun 30 Jul, 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm 60mins

After 42 years and over 2000 editions, the BBC's weekly chart show Top of the Pops announces its very last Number One tonight. This hour-long live studio show reunites many of the show's best-known presenters including Sir Jimmy Saville, Tony Blackburn, Janice Long, Mike Reid, Reggie Yates, Edith Bowman and many more in a celebration of the programme's glorious history.

The show features many of the greatest performances through the decades from The Rolling Stones, Spice Girls, Sonny & Cher, Wham, Madonna, Beyonce, Take That and Coldplay, with a look back at some of the show's most memorable presenters, dancers and audiences.

Like the very first show, this programme will begin with the Rolling Stones (on this occasion performing The Last Time from the 60s on tape!) and conclude with this week's Number One.

Posted by: maine road ()
Date: July 26, 2006 12:37

Thank you Manofwealthandtaste for clearing that up.

Date: July 26, 2006 13:11

maine road Wrote:
> Does anyone know if it a tape of the Stones
> singing 'The Last Time' in the 1960's or is it a
> tape of the band of today peroforming the song?

Luckily for the idiots at the Beeb, of the FIVE clips from the show featuring the numerous performances of the Stones on the show from 1964 to 1971, that was one song that they did manage to keep. Otherwise, their concept would have blown up in their faces due to their ridiculous policy some years ago of destroying old footage like this.

Posted by: jostorm ()
Date: July 26, 2006 13:17

Translation:
Into English: It costs the BEEB nothing !
Into Cohlish: The Stones won't get a penny (thank you, Lord!!!!!) !

I'm really looking forward to "Wham!", what a treat........

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: July 26, 2006 13:18

It's a good initiative. I have a friend, Coldplay fan(what kind of idiots do I hang around with?), maybe I can convince him to watch the Stones too!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1641
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home