Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tribute to Ahmet Ertegun - Montreux Jazz Festival (06/30/06)
Posted by: Bruce ()
Date: July 2, 2006 20:40

This year's opening night of the Montreux Jazz Festival (Switzerland) was dedicated to Ahmet Ertegun, the founder of Atlantic Records. I was fortunate enough to have gotten a ticket for that extraordinary evening. As Ahmet Ertegun is a part of the Rolling Stones history, I thought some of you might be interested in hearing what this evening was all about.

A number of highly acclaimed artists had gathered to celebrate the live and achievements of an extraordinary man. Ahmet Ertegun was present that evening together with his wife and a number of close personal friends. The evening included memorable performances by artists such as Robert Plant, Solomon Burke, Kid Rock, Stevie Nicks, Steve Winwood, Chaka Khan, Nile Rodgers & Chic, George Duke, Les McCann, Cornell Dupree, Ronnie Cuber, and many more. Unfortunately, Jimmy Page (who was supposed to also pay tribute to Ahmet Ertegun), had to cancel on short notice due to a surgery. Also Jeff Beck and Bette Midler, who were on the initial bill, had to cancel - due to Bette's involvement in a Hollywood film project.

The evening was a historical night, that Ahmet Ertegun described as the "most wonderful one of his life". There were some truly magical moments (such as a duet by Stevie Nicks with Kid Rock), or a version of Chic's "We Are Family" by all artists together, followed by a long jam session called "There Ain't No Party Like An Ahmet Party, 'Cause An Ahmet Party Don't Stop". If you're interested in looking at some pictures, go to [news.search.yahoo.com]

Too bad that none of the Stones members had shown up that night. At least Mick would have been in the area, as he attended the football game between England and Portugal the day after.

Anyway, it was a GREAT night for a GREAT person in the music industry!!!

Re: Tribute to Ahmet Ertegun - Montreux Jazz Festival (06/30/06)
Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 2, 2006 21:12

Ahmet's scene in Copsucker Blues is a hoot - talking business with Mick as Keith
nods off in the background...Also a cool profile was published in the New Yorker in 1971, so the signing of the Stones is a big part of the story...Didn't Ahmet write his memoirs in recent years?

Posted by: Elliott ()
Date: July 2, 2006 22:38

Hi john r

Didn't Ahmet write his memoirs in recent years?

- Yes he did with this fantastic book "What'd I say" (The Atlantic Story 50 Years of Music)

you can find this book via ebay !!!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 2, 2006 23:54

Thanks Elliott!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1981
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home