Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stanley Booth-Dance with the D.
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: May 20, 2006 11:53

Long time ago..I read that book..from what I know ater the 69 tour ..It wet wrong with him...I remember that he planned to do another book on The Stones...Is the guy still writing!!!?I thought it was a sublime book. Hanging out with Keith..is not without risk..maybe some of you have more info about Booth.

Re: Stanley Booth-Dance with the D.
Date: May 20, 2006 12:03

Did some of you liked his book?It seems this guy is forgotten.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 20, 2006 12:39

Stanley ain't forgotten!
Dance With the Devil is the UK title - Stanley's said that title was the publisher's dumb idea.
in the US the book's called True Adventures of the Rolling Stones, and it's my favourite book about the Stones -
the cat writes just like ringing a bell. he also wrote (and published) a rough draft of a biography of Keith that i sure hope he'll finish someday.
by the way, you can see Stanley in the movie Gimme Shelter - he's the one they use the light meter on in the hotel room when they're listening to Brown Sugar -
and he's also in the 2002 documentary called Let It Bleed.

Keith, be well - all the way, baby, all the way

Date: May 20, 2006 12:46

Stanley Booth published a book in 1991 titled "Rythm Oil - A Journey through the music of the American South". Among others there's a 10-pages chapter on Keith - entitled "Keith Richards at Forty-Five". Interesting book.

Date: May 20, 2006 12:53

Thanks very much...this guy wrote one of the best Stones books..the chet Flippo one I like too!!But Stanley writes better.I heard he was hooked on heroin..lived in a cabin...but went with The Stones on tour again on later seventies tours..Is this true?Should be very nice indeed if the ma finish his second Stones book.

Date: May 20, 2006 12:55

Excuse me for my faults..I type fast and dont read back before posting.

Date: May 20, 2006 12:56

How is that ''Let it Bleed'' documentary?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 20, 2006 12:58

Stanley's book Rythm Oil from 1991 is a great Southern musical journey...go for the hard back with the beautiful shots of the south by William Eggleston.....Also has a chapter Keith at Forty Five...

Wrote to Stanley years ago ...no address just sent it to his local post office..he wrote back not long after and sent some gifts...real Southern gent.

ROCKMAN

Date: May 20, 2006 13:41

I go get that book for sure..thank you all for the reacting...Some books ar so good you read it out in aday!!!!!

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: May 20, 2006 15:10

keith at 45 was a great article for a now defunct magazine called SMART, i hope that it's the same one... stanleys book is second to the great gatsby as books i have read the most...his feel for the late sixties and the stones is very relaxed and sublime...

Date: May 20, 2006 15:18

2001-interview with Booth - [www.rocksbackpages.com]

plus more links on that page

Date: May 20, 2006 15:20

Sw Soul...Is that a good docu? That Let it bleed''thing''?

Date: May 20, 2006 15:42

yeah, it is beautiful, Rooster honey - everyone should try to get ahold of it.

Date: May 20, 2006 15:58

Thanks!!!I said thanks!!!Another reason to open the hunting season ...its strange I never heard of it..Im curious now...wonder whats on it!Thanks my sweet part.

Date: May 20, 2006 16:44

it's kind of like an update/expansion of 25x5 - some of the same material,
but more detail, and it includes stuff up to the Licks Tour announcement.
it's very lovingly done, and there's really a lot of great footage in it.

Date: May 20, 2006 16:52

I guess Rooster is out of Time..ok thanks Sis..Im on the look out!!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 20, 2006 18:18

The book contains some nice stories, but Booth tries to promote some booooring political ideas, that is getting on my nerves. He also writes that the in the nineties were a bad band, this is so ridiculous, I think the Stones were such a great liveband in the nieties, Mick`s singing in the nineties was much better than in the seventies and in the eighties, so Booth seems to be interested in political correctness, but not in music.

Date: May 20, 2006 18:25

I think booth really loves music..but I might not read what you read..+ i rather hear a 76 or 78 boot than a 9 ties boot ...but I love the 9ties Stones very much too!!!You just go to Hot Stuff and listen to Frankfurt 76...what a outburst of energy!!!!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 20, 2006 18:33

My library must have had a UK copy when I was a pimply teen, and Dance with the Devil caught my eye on the shelf in a way that True Adventures probably wouldn't have. The cover was the JJF masks sleeve, which I hadn't seen before. But on top of that it's a great book. Definitely had a big impact on my understanding of the band. I read it about the same time as Robert Palmer's Deep Blues. The library also had the Chet Flippo, which was a bore by comparison. Sort of like the '75 tour to '69...

Date: May 20, 2006 18:40

And also much better than that book of Terry Southern(72 tour)but I love red dirt Marijuana of him

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: May 20, 2006 19:39

Heh - the photo of the neon Stars N' Bars on cover of Rhythm Oil is also used on the cover of Primal Scream's Give Out But Don't Give Up album. P.S. did their best to sound like the Stones on that record, too.

SPOOKY, eh??

Date: May 20, 2006 20:59

Keith with Stanley in 72 ...

- 1972, courtesy of BrownEyedGirll

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 20, 2006 22:27

right... I knew that picture looked familiar, JTCB. I think their XTRMNTR record is really good.

Somehow I didn't pick up that stanley was such a good ol' boy, if an ironic one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1704
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home