Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Have you caught a pick from Keith at a concert...?
Date: April 20, 2006 04:26

This is the ultimate dream of mine. I want to catch a pick Keith uses after a song (preferably Happy). If I were to somehow get front row seats, how big of a chance would I have of getting one. Because I see his whip them things out, and those suckers fly! Do you think he would overthrow into the 4th or 5th row, or does he give or throw them into the first row?

I am really curious. Tell your experiences if you have ever caught one of these treasures!!!!

"She's got a mind of her own, yeah, and she use it mighty fine..."

Re: Have you caught a pick from Keith at a concert...?
Date: April 20, 2006 04:39

No,but,I came close in Durham last year.

Posted by: troubador ()
Date: April 20, 2006 04:43

Better a pick than a disease...g

Posted by: brewcrew87 ()
Date: April 20, 2006 04:49

in columbus septemebr of 05 i was in the first few rows next to the b stage and after shattered i caught a pick then dropped it cauze i was too drunk to realize what was going on

Posted by: Rock'NRollAngel ()
Date: April 20, 2006 05:16

What? Too drunk? Ah, man...how could you? That's a shame. I've got several from Keith and Ronnie and two from Mick. I get them handed to me, no need to catch anything. WOO HOO!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 20, 2006 05:20

Aw Angel you lil devil....That's it I'm getting a sex-change...!!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: April 20, 2006 05:26

Yes, the devil made me do it! I can't help it. It's all really just dumb luck, you know bein' in the right place at the right time, making that eye contact, bouncing around and showing some enthusiasm!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 20, 2006 06:17

No.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 20, 2006 06:50

er, do ronnie's picks count...

my friend, a life-long tennessean, caught the show in Memphis in dec...
her first stoneage ever at the age of 38...
"my mother wants to give me stones tickets for xmas should i go?"
YES YOU HAVE TO GO R U KIDDING....YES!

she had great seats...right up close...on ronnie's side...
after HTW, of course with the 'memphis' line...
he tossed a right at her...
she said he was smiling and making a lot of eye contact, shrugging, joking and communicating with the crowd up front...
... and she really had a ball and said it looked like ronnie was having one too...
she was really surprised at how much she liked it...
she's into train (!??) and old haggard train songs ;-)
and she was really knocked out; so much so it surprised her...
yeehaw...another one bites the dust...and comes up with a pick...
i touched it...yeeeewwwwwwoooh it had a tongue on it...
i prefer my own... dunlop vinyls .60m
thin...let's you get a little finger tippy on the string too...
harmonics and such...
no i have nefer caught a pick from Keith at a concert, but if had, i would treasure it...
i did however catch several large chunks of demolished fender after pete townshend had a go at one in Central Park Wollman's rink, wAAAy back in the day...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 20, 2006 07:31

Yeah! Actually he dropped it in the palm of my hand after Thru and Thru at the second show in Singapore for the Licks tour! Was awesome. It has a stones tongue on one side and says Keith Richards on the other.
Great memory!

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: April 20, 2006 07:44

He handed me a bunch. When I was a kid, on the Main Offender tour, I was 1st row most East Coast nights, and he handed me like 10 picks(keep back 200 ft All of you). I caught maybe 4 or 5 from the man at Stones shows. They're cool and all, but they are just a pieces of plastic..

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: April 20, 2006 07:50

MCI Center, Washington DC, October 3, 2005...my seat was two rows up at the side of the stage, Keith flicked his pick after Sympathy For the Devil, and it started to come my way...until it veered sharply to my left, across the aisle, back a row, and down three seats where it hit a guy in the shouldar and fell to the floor.

I DOVE...and I got it!!!

Still one of the happiest moments in my life and my thanks to anyone reading this who was there and told me, graciously, that I deserved it!

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: April 20, 2006 07:52

Posted by: winter ()
Date: April 20, 2006 09:04

No, but i once THREW a pick TO keith. New Barbarians, pittsburgh civic arena, 1979. keith was wasted and his straplock kept failing, so the guitar strap fell off 3 times during the show. he was also very drunk and kept dropping picks occaisionally. ronnie was chiding him about it.

my friend and i had jumped on the floor from the seats and made it to the first row right after the hoighty-toity high-society-types there had abandoned their seats when they realized that the whole floor was going to stand all night and that this was not some kind of surprise RS show. BAM! we leap their seats as the crowd surges and there we are, leaning against the barricade, 6-7 ft. from keith, front row. for some bizarre reason, i started waving my pick at him. i was very stoned, and everybody else was reaching out all concert too; empty hands trying to get a direct glance from the master, people waving old record covers, flowers, panties, signs, "give me a handshake" waves, "give me a high 5", etc.,..so being a young freak and budding musician, i thought i'ld wave my pick. maybe he'ld notice and nod at the musician instead of the obnoxious jock pushing over people to get a handshake or the hot chick or the person with the RS/HTW sign....i actually got a few nods from the man during the first half of the show!

all of the sudden, midsong, he drops his pick and i reach out again with mine. he smiles and nods my way, hand open. without hesitation i fling the pick his way....

3 problems: 1.keef is drunk and wasted and has been dropping shit all night.
2.picks are like throwing matchbooks, they curve and spin, you don't just lob them straight.
3.more than just stoned, the acid has totally kicked in and now i'm tripping my balls off, interacting with keef at a show. stanley clake's thumb on AIGY seems as big as keith and ronnie's heads.

luckily i don't think about *any* of these 3 things until after the show; -the pick goes RIGHT into his friggin' hand, he smiles and nods a big thank you and rejoins the song in progress. he plays with it for the rest of the show, dropping it during the JJF encore. for a half hour after the show, while the crowd empties, me and my buddy are trying to get the attention of the guitar crew breaking down the set. we point to the pick onstage and explain (somehow using verbal language despite our 4 inch wide pupils) the situation. he notices that it's not keef's style of pick, and so believes us, and retrieves it for us. we *float* home.

the pick is still with me this day, albeit somewhat shredded at the edges b'cuz i played and dragged it on my guitar strings for awhile before retiring it to the memorabilia folder. still my only interaction with the man, 27 years later....as close as i may get to my dream of jamming with him someday, but i'll take it!!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 20, 2006 10:07

smile: way cool, Winter - thanks for the story.
that was beautifully Barbarian of all of you. :E

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Alvaro ()
Date: April 20, 2006 13:56

I have a stick from charlie, from the, B-stage,Malaga, BTB tour....

Posted by: J.Marty ()
Date: April 20, 2006 15:14

Yep, Stockholm Cirkus 2003. After the show, when we were out drinking, everybody wanted to have a look at the pick so I was afraid that someone would steal it... But I still have the pick, I framed it together with the ticket and the wristband from the show.

J.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: April 20, 2006 15:36

Beelyboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i prefer my own... dunlop vinyls .60m
> thin...let's you get a little finger tippy on the
> string too...

Pinch harmonics work allot better with really thick picks.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 20, 2006 16:15

Keith handing out guitar-pick Melbourne, Rod Laver Arena 13 April 2006

Thanks for shot Frank - Annie & Brother

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: April 20, 2006 17:36

Got one in Leipzig in 1995

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: April 20, 2006 18:27

I have caught a copule of his over the years and one of Charlie's sticks.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 20, 2006 21:01

Reptile Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beelyboy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > i prefer my own... dunlop vinyls .60m
> > thin...let's you get a little finger tippy on
> the
> > string too...
>
> Pinch harmonics work allot better with really
> thick picks.

yeah? occasionally i try a heavy one and AM still able to get a little of that right index finger on the string as well... so maybe i'll experiment some more with that...thanx...

just seemed natural with the .60 or the .73...i'd even leave 'em in my pocket during a wash/dry cycle of my jeans...just to make 'em a bit more malleable...

do u use the vinyl or the plastic mostly? i've got a fender heavy here somewhere...appreciate the feeback.

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: April 20, 2006 21:11

not me, but my son nils in hannover 2003. keith kneed down at the catwalk, took my sons hand and gave it directly to him, he was 7 years old and it was his very first stones gig.i was crying,cause of luck,never happened to me since 1990.nils didn`t washed his hands for a whole week long.
i`ll remember ever for this moment at the licks tour.

robert from austria

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: April 20, 2006 22:07

Here is mine

Date: April 20, 2006 22:09

Do you have more of a chance getting one in the front row where he "might" personally hand you one, or a few rows back, where he mostly whips them?

"She's got a mind of her own, yeah, and she use it mighty fine..."

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 20, 2006 22:48

Bremen 1998: Believe it or not

After seeing my sign ("Keith and Ronnie-pleaseĀ“give me
your plecs!") Ronnie threw one after sliding it warm on
You Got Me Rocking but it fell down and got lost.

Then Keith threw one and it fell between the barrier and
the stage. After a few minutes shouting at the security
guy he gave it to me.

But Keith must have seen that I couldnĀ“t catch the first
one and so he stepped between the amps and GAVE me a
second one. Shakehands, fat grins!

It was during Like A Rolling Stone. How does it feel?
GREAT!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 21, 2006 07:41

B-stage of course...

Date: April 21, 2006 07:56

B Stage is where it's at. I've gotten a few handed to me in the first few rows, but most of the luck I've had has been while I was pressed up against the rail next to the b stage.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: April 21, 2006 08:10

Rock'NRollAngel - Did you ever flash the boys to the boys?

Date: April 21, 2006 08:20

I've had some gorillas try to steal the pick(s) when they were placed in my hand, but thank god for my 6'3 companion looking out for me. People are maniacs and get mean over those picks, especially Keith's.

As far as flashing, I've never had to resort to that. I saw a bunch of chicks in Denver doing it on Thanksgiving and my room mate took a bunch of pictures much to my embarrassment.

And you Cindy? Ever flashed for a pick or stick?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1986
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home