Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 12
1975 sucked
Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: March 25, 2006 05:02

listening to a boot called who went to church this sunday from LA in 1975
and it sounds terrible mick is slurring, keith is sloppy and even drug-free charlie is a bit sloppy. Ronnie clearly doesnt know the songs. This is the worst sounding boot i have and its a soundboard. Havent heard any from 1978 but i got out on bail on ebay yesterday hope its better than this. Even love you live was sloppy but not this bad. Saw 1981 very fast 25 songs in two hours but not sloppy. 1989 was a step up but too clean. 1994 was better but too much backup. The licks tour was better but still too many backup musicians. ABB rocks the best with the exeption of 1969 and 1972.

Re: 1975 sucked
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 25, 2006 05:05

that's arguably the Stones finest show ever yer talking about - 7/13/75.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 25, 2006 05:27

I saw my first 2 Stones shows that tour (NYC w/ Clapton, Boston), & loved them. In the cold light of decades later, my main criticism is not the band (who sound pretty damn good on that set imo) aside from the Billy segment, which wasn't horrible, just ill-advised, but that Jagger had begun his slide into lazy singing, weird affectations, self-parody, seemingly either lost in terms of his vocal personae or just coked, the Mick that makes Love You Live so hard to like, and who would huff & puff his way through some of the '81 shows, in ridiculous makeup and bad stage clothes. Oddly he sounds much better in '78 (or on the best shows, including the Handsome Girls material) - when he felt he had something to prove in the aftermath of punk, I guess.

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: March 25, 2006 05:29

i think people who make inane pronouncements about a show they heard 30 years after the fact on a disc suck....i WAS there and had a great time ...all the forum shows were great...

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 25, 2006 05:29

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-05 06:08 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: March 25, 2006 05:36

sorry about offense but mick sings oooo the stom is shhretnin my very lif today and butchers htw for chrissake on this boot. hell i would have loved to have been ther but ronnie didnt know the songs yet and mick is coked out of his mind.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 25, 2006 05:39

A couple tracks made it onto Love You Live, maybe IORR from Toronto and one other - someone will surely clarify. I did think it was a good idea at that time to dispense w/ the horns for awhile.

Date: March 25, 2006 05:55

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-05 06:08 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 25, 2006 06:01

john r Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A couple tracks made it onto Love You Live, maybe
> IORR from Toronto and one other - someone will
> surely clarify. I did think it was a good idea at
> that time to dispense w/ the horns for awhile.

Three 1975 songs are on LYL

Fingerprint File, IORR from Toronto 17.6.75
Sympathy from LA 9.7.75

I can understand why some people DONT like the '75 tour that much. It was one that I found hard to love, but I've warmed to it more down the years. I like the LA shows, although MSG 27.6.75 is a personal fave too (I just love the way they 'wing' 'Cherry Oh Baby' on it. Beautiful)

'76 though was the Stones nadir as a live band, IMHO. Still a tour I cant really warm to and part of the reason why Ive never liked Love you Live (love the El Mocambo tracks though)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-25 06:06 by Gazza.

Posted by: swsfo ()
Date: March 25, 2006 06:01

Saw the Stones for the first time in '75 - in SF - and they were great - opening with Honky Tonk Woman - which was awesome - had to have been there!

SwSFO

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 25, 2006 06:42

At the Forum in '75 I heard Mick doing his low growling "Fat Albert" voice during the extended mid-section of Midnight Rambler for the first time.

You hear him do it at the end of Hand of Fate as well.

'75 at the Forum was great. So was 2006. It's a wonderful life.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: March 25, 2006 08:18

I always think that 76 is better than 75. seems like there wasn't as much spectacle in Europe. And they had added the Black&Blue tracks. Ronnie knew the songs a little better. Paris 76 was good stint. Germany too.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: japanese ampeg ()
Date: March 25, 2006 10:54

Kind of new to this IORR thing, so I'll go easy. It seems to me that since Ya-Yas everyone has basically ragged on the Stones live CDs, boots and all. For me, Love You Live, Still Life, Flashpoint, etc., and the boots, sound like the Stones....sounded. I know, I know, there were valid criticisms of Live Licks, but if you turn it up, loud, it sounds like I remember the Stones sounding on that tour. Weird. So many people love the concerts but hate the records. Anyway, my boots from 1975 are just glorious, glorious, funky noise. No band before or since has made such a reckless, rambling bunch of rock noise on a tour, and that's how I remember the Stones sounding in 75. 78? Fast noise. 81? Stadium slick noise. 90? LOUD noise? And don't even get me started on the 73 tour noise! Great stuff!

By the way, am I the only aging Stones guy who thinks the Stones sounded horrible on the 1972 tour, for the most part? Keith playing geniunely sloppy straight rhythm and Taylor way too loud? Charlotte was good, for sure, but otherwise.....?

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: March 25, 2006 10:58

I think the best recording in circulation is July 9, 1975, which is out under many titles. It is an audience recording, but I think better to listen to than the marginal so-called soundboards from the videos.

I have friends who love this tour, but I take the opposite view. Letting Billy Preston sing two songs was a waste, It was unforgiveable, and his songs sucked. Mick's singing, to say nothing about his @#$%& antics on stage really pissed me off. He rolled around like an idiot, and was not cool. Some of the songs were performed too fast, and some were way too long, in my view. Add to this some of the worst Stones songs ever, like Hot Stuff, Fool to Cry, and Hey Negrita, and you have nothing exciting. Finally, this tour brought the most laughable versions of Wild Horses and Angie ever peformed, especially Wild Horses.

The 1989-2006 tours all blow this tour away.

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: March 25, 2006 11:25

Yes 75 was very sloppy. Mick was a great entertainer but vocaly 75/76 were his worst years.

But the versions of Sympathy For The Devil are It's Only Rocknroll are really fantastic.

Posted by: kees ()
Date: March 25, 2006 12:05

Well, I prefer any '75 show better than any show after the 82 tour, except for the club gigs during Licks.

Posted by: jigsawp ()
Date: March 25, 2006 13:51

Hey Stonedmike!Sorry to tell you but "Out on bail" is very very sloppy.I kinda like that style but this is dirty rock'n'roll!!

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: March 25, 2006 13:59

To me It didnt suck..pure macig!!

Posted by: marko ()
Date: March 25, 2006 14:18

I´m with Kees here,except for Licks,i think it was bad tour,even with a good
setlist.Keith&ronnie drowned into sound of wall.
To me 1975,presents the rock n roll band,as it should be,even with preston.
I prefer him to darryl,for example.His songs sucked,but,he got audience dancing,
then mick took him over,with brown sugar.
Wild Horses was perfect,the way they played the song.I don´t like the new at all.
Never cared for angie,only 1990 versions i like.75 was wildest rock tour ever.

72 was better than euro 73,but australia 1973 wins both.

I don´t wanna start about 81-82.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: March 25, 2006 14:20

BOBM stated:
>Finally, this tour brought the most laughable versions of Wild Horses and Angie ever peformed, especially Wild Horses.

Laughable? I disagree. The boot in question from the LA Forum has one the best versions of Wild Horses I have ever heard. Ronnie does a great solo. The vocals heartfelt. Good @#$%& too. What's to dislike? The lotus stage was one the coolest ideas they have ever had. The opening number HTW worked really well with that stage unfolding the way it did. Keith kicking it down from up top in front as it was lowered.

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: March 25, 2006 14:38

The version of Wild Horses from "Who went to church this sunday" is my all time favourite. The Stones looked very cool in 75. Yes sloppy sometimes, but more Rock and Roll than the 75 tour you can hardly get!

Ofcourse it's a matter of taste, but sorry Stonedmike I can't see how ABB rocks more than the 75 tour?!!!!!

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: March 25, 2006 15:52

Include me in the crowd that never liked the '75 tour. It pained me back then because I desperately wanted to see a live show, but it was not geographically or financially possible for me back then. And I imagined then that I was missing a really great tour musically.

Then I heard the bootleg vinyl albums, and I couldn't believe my ears.

Billy Preston's cheesy keyboards absolutely ruin it for me. I bought my vinyl copies of "Who Went To Church" and ""1975 Nervous Breakdown" and "Charlie Watts and His Fabulous Rolling Stones" in late '75 or early '76 from some mail order outfit in North Carolina, and I remember how disappointed I was in them. I had earlier purchased two lps from the fantastic '73 Euro tour, "Nasty Music" and "Jean-Clarke Memorial Sonic Barbeque", and I remember thinking how shi**y the Stones sounded in 75 compared to 73. It was no contest. If 73 was filet mignon, 75 was horsemeat sausage to me.

I accept that those of you who were there in person for 7/13/75 had a great time, but for me, the audio recordings do not lie.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 25, 2006 16:28

X

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-25 17:31 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 25, 2006 16:56

In '72 there was no greater rock band......in 75/76 there was no greater spectacle than the Rolling Stones.......maybe Zeppelin and Bowie gave them a little run for their money but that was it........Zeppelin imploded and Bowie fled to Berlin to recover...........
..................unless you saw them, unless you witnessed the decadence, unless you experienced the energy, the pure raw sexual ambiguity it's difficult to put them in any proper perspective......the Stones in 75/76 were the epitomy of gluttony and excess and it was magical........then they went home and produced Some Girls.........1975 DID NOT suck!!

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: March 25, 2006 17:13

Boston 75 was my first Stones show and I am Glad I was there. I had seen about thirty other concerts up to that point in my life and when I left that show I knew who the Big Dawgs on the Block were. No turning back since.

Date: March 25, 2006 17:31

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-05 06:09 by Beelyboy.

Date: March 25, 2006 18:20

swsfo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Saw the Stones for the first time in '75 - had to have been
> there!
>
>

Not true. I wasn't there and I think both SF shows were great.

Date: March 25, 2006 18:26

just amazing how we can all react differently to the same stimuli. I hear a band that DEFINES rock'n'roll when I hear a good '75 show. Warts? You betcha! But the guitar players are firing on all cylinders. Ronnie was truly a MONSTER in those days - fully MT's equal in many respects. Mick's vocals were perfect for the era, IMO. I loved Billy's contributions and the boys really supported his great songs wonderfully.

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: March 25, 2006 19:12

Stonedmike....Sloppy.....hey, yeah........ know exactly what you mean my friend.......I was thinkin'... there's this band that's been around for awhile, really tight little unit. I think you might do better with them. No sloppiness from these guys, just good old mellow country rock....They're called the Eagles I think and they really know how to rock all night (or at least whatever their contract says). Give 'em a listen lad, more up your alley I think..... "Peaceful Easy Feeling", that one's REALLY just SO good !!!...Oh, and "One of These Nights", really killer stuff, just the best there is, No Question....

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: March 25, 2006 19:33

75, the year were people had to decide what was more annoying, a Billy Preston set during a Stones concert or the endless drum solos from John Bonham.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1892
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home