Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: A shame about Lisa Fisher
Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 28, 2006 09:01

Lisa's solo career never took off, which is just as well as she's (along w/ Bernard, & Blondie) a nice addition to the band - her & Bernard's vocals behind Keith on "This Place" are nicely understated. The Rolling Stones are a guitar band, but not just, at least not since since Brian started adding other instruments on 'Aftermath.' The backup guys all add something cool somewhere in the shows, and they aren't at all intrusive this tour the way Chuck was (imo) when mixed up high during some recent tours, or (Lord help us) Matt Clifford in 1989-90. I wonder about Sara Dash, who's closer to the Stones' ages, was marvelous w/ Patti & the Bluebelles / Labelle, and of course a great presence and vocal foil on Keith's solo tours - is she still active?

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: January 28, 2006 09:42

The added musicians are not a problem - after all, it's pretty much an 'Exile' line-up.

I think the autopilot feel comes from the fact that the charts are written too tightly. Lisa and Bernard are cool and smpathetic, but the fact that they have to stick to strict lines makes it feel all kind of frozen.

If everybody was allowed to let it a little more loose (as on the end of 'let it loose'!) the show would feel different.

For instance, on WAB at the Olympia, Bernard gets just a little hotter than usual - 'I'm worried about you, oh yeah-OH YEAH!' and immediatly his duet with Mick takes another colour. I wonder why they don't open up more on that one.

The moments with Lisa are better and more spontaneous.

But I can't stand the way they sing at the end of Satisfaction or JJF, much too stereotyped, not too tasty, oh so not stonesy.

Posted by: Ernest Craven ()
Date: January 28, 2006 14:18

I totally agree with Potted Shrimp! The backing singers are the main reason I can't get into the stones anymore. I was listening to the version of Satisfaction where Keith started doing IORR. It was ok until Lisa Fisher started wailing near the end. Tumbling Dice is another song that's ruined with her.. I think she is more intrusive than our friend Chuck. Just my opinion..

Posted by: lisalover ()
Date: January 28, 2006 14:28

Shes lovely....a nice pair of...........................lungs to be sure !! lol

Posted by: rocks off ()
Date: January 28, 2006 16:29

stonefan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yes I like this girl and she's been doing a great
> job with the boys since many years. The perfect
> pair with Bernard !

Yes, she does have a perfect pair !!!

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 28, 2006 17:02

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> I agree Bjørnulf. I can't believe these
> phoney-poser-babes is really happy with
> themselves. They make a lot of money, so they have
> to keep it up, but it's phoney-baloney. If I was a
> female singer I rather be Lisa Fisher than the
> other women mentioned here.

True Erik, but if you could choose being a "phoney-poser-babes" and being a big star, earning a lot of money and fans going wild because of you because you look amazing and are really a pop idol or maybe not even performe at all because people who go to small "concerts"" in bars go there for real quality and not a idol package i would choose the first option. I can't blame them.

Brown Sugar: No Sax: Indeed, Why not? I love the press conference version. It would be a cool change.
Memory Motel: In '98 during the first Amsterdam arena concert Mick played the piano and good might i add, so again why not.
Gimme Shelter: Lisa is a great addition to this song no doubt about that but like many other songs, they can all work really well and sometimes better with a different aproach due to less musicians playing on the song.

But he, it works fine IMO how they do it these days. I only wish they would be more of a guitar band but he they are getting older and it is not so strange if you are in your sixties and have used a LOT of drugs over the years you loose your playing ability over the years. So therfore, thank you the stones have great back-up musicians

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: January 28, 2006 17:51

john r Wrote:
> Lisa's solo career never took off, which is just
> as well as she's (along w/ Bernard, & Blondie)
> a nice addition to the band - her & Bernard's
> vocals behind Keith on "This Place" are nicely
> understated. The Rolling Stones are a guitar band,
> but not just, at least not since since Brian
> started adding other instruments on 'Aftermath.'
> The backup guys all add something cool somewhere
> in the shows, and they aren't at all intrusive
> this tour the way Chuck was (imo) when mixed up
> high during some recent tours, or (Lord help us)
> Matt Clifford in 1989-90. I wonder about Sara
> Dash, who's closer to the Stones' ages, was
> marvelous w/ Patti & the Bluebelles / Labelle,
> and of course a great presence and vocal foil on
> Keith's solo tours - is she still active?

Sara Dash? Good qustion. What about MERRY CLAYTON? Is she still around? Can she still sing? HAs she ever been on stage with the Stones for Gimme SHelter?

Posted by: Imagination ()
Date: January 28, 2006 17:54

I love her with Bernard!! I also love the stuff she does with Mick. As BV said, it's great to be working.....and, with the Stones yet.
Imagination.

"Pass it on" (Keith talking about the music)

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: January 28, 2006 18:08

the jumbotron never looked so hot

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: January 28, 2006 18:20

I agree they couldn't handle a whole stripped down show, and I also think they wouldn't sound as good, but maybe they could do one or two stripped down songs each show.

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: January 28, 2006 18:42

BOBM, they actually do that - iorr, sometimes Satisfaction or Respectable, according to where they are in the setlists.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: January 31, 2006 02:37

bv Wrote:
> In fact the Stones have been 6 - six - from the
> very start in 1962. Ian Stewart was the 6th Stone
> and he was on keyboards from the very start. A
> band without keyboards and bass is not the Stones.
>
> Bjornulf

So why not go out with the four Stones, a bass player, keyboard player and Bobby on sax and let it rip? Wouldn't you like to see them at least attempt it? Maybe not a whole year long tour, but for a month long club tour, perhaps?

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: January 31, 2006 02:57

LOL......

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1849
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home