Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Who here has seen the Stones pre-1969?
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 27, 2005 05:06

May not get many replies on this one, but I would like to hear from anyone who has experienced a live Stones concert during the Brian Jones era. I was born too late for that and I personally know of only one who has claimed to have seen the Stones then. What do you remember most about the show?

Re: Who here has seen the Stones pre-1969?
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: November 27, 2005 07:01

Someone asked about this a couple of months ago and I gave my brief story. But, even still, I like to recount it.

I saw them at the Hollywood Bowl in July of 1966. I was 16 years old and we had seats in the middle, about 1/4 of the way back from the stage. The opening acts were Buffalo Springfield, the McCoys, and the Standells. If you can see the album cover of Got Live if You Want It, they were dressed in the same outfits on the night I saw them as they were on the album. The setlist was essentially the same as the album, too. The were electrifying, and at times the sound was drowned out by screaming girls! At one point, Mick said, "The next song will be introduced by our own Charlie Watts". Charlie then came forward and introduced "Lady Jane". Brian played the dulcimer. I loved the set, all my favorite songs, and I couldn't believe I was seeing them live. I mean, it was the ROLLING STONES, all the way from England!! I really was mesmerized by them. The show ended all too quickly.

I saw them again 3 years later at the LA Forum, with Mick Taylor. They were no longer a band for screaming girls, but a serious rock and roll band, and that was the beginning of the "golden age" of the Stones. That performance was incredible, much like the "Ya Yas" album.

They were a tremendous band with Brian, and when MT came along they took it up a few notches. They really had grown as a band.

Posted by: WAYNEPA ()
Date: November 27, 2005 15:47

I saw the Stones at the Asbury Park, New Jersey Convention Hall the Fourth of July weekend in 1966.It was: The Tradewinds, The Standells, The McCoys, and the Stones. You couldn't take your eyes off Brian Jones, he was like a magnet. You really couldn't hear any songs clearly because the girls were shrieking Brian's name as loud as they could. Brian sat at the edge of the stage looking down at his instrument when he played. All you saw was this magnificent head of blond hair. It was blazingly hot that day...the crowd was throwing ice cream cones at the band...believe it or not.
Edith Grove, you made me go into the archives for the setlist that day...
1. Not Fade Away
2. Get Off My Cloud
3. Stupid Girl
4. Lady Jane
5. Paint It Black
6. 19th Nervous Breakdown
7. Spider & the Fly
9. Satisfaction
These are written on a small piece of paper (now yellowed with age), that I wrote that night with a pencil and pad I brought with me.
I missed the entire 1969 Tour because Uncle Sam gave me an all expense paid vacation to sunny South Vietnam, and I got back to the States the week after Altamont.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 28, 2005 14:14

There is a poster called stewed & Keefed over on the Rocks Off Message board. Not too sure what his name is here, but he saw The Stones at the Rochester Odeon in 1963. I very much doubt that ANYONE else posting here or at any other board has seen the Stones that early into their career.

I know some have seen them in 1964, but come on, 1963! They hadn't even had a top-ten hit then!

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: November 28, 2005 14:20

There is a poater here called (I think) "Fan since 1964"; something like that. he has also seen them. I also love hearing form them. The main problem with them is that I find that often they don't recall much. In those days one was maybe very stoned at a show. I corresponded with a guy who had been at one of the elusive 72 Denver concerts. And at one of the 69 Chicago shows. These are both really hard to document. He just could not remember NOTHING.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 28, 2005 14:27

Well, stewed & Keefed is a mate of mine and I think he was only about eleven at the time. He saw them on the 1963 UK package tour alongside Bo Diddly and The Everly Brothers. I THINK that was the tour. There were two or more major UK tours in '63, so maybe it was one of the others. I've got the year right though!

Posted by: LE PAUL JAGGER ()
Date: November 28, 2005 14:36

great post thanks!

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: November 28, 2005 15:32

I saw them in Detroit at Cobo Hall. Not sure I can add too much to the above. All of the above does apply. I remember lots of screaming girls and lots of anticipation. It was my rock concert. I sat on the side of the hall with Brian so I had a good view of him. Maybe if I had sat on Keith's side, it might have been different but I'd say Brian was as much if not more of an attraction than Mick. I remember Brian playing dulcimer on Lady Jane ... that was great! It was a short show but packed with energy!

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: phd ()
Date: November 28, 2005 19:15

Nice story DaveG .One of my regret on this beautiful planet : not having seen Brian with his dulcimer. I was too young at that time: 10 and therefore no parental agreement.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home