Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Dirty Strangers
Posted by: Jack Flash ()
Date: September 14, 2005 18:34

So, I came across this album while searching for MP3's last night. It says that it's Keith and Ronnie, but whoever sings on it is terrible and doesn't sound a thing like either of them. Can anyone tell me if this authentic, because I never heard of this before?

Re: Dirty Strangers
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 14, 2005 18:36

It's for real!

[www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp]

C

Posted by: T&A ()

this is one of the most gawd-awful albums I own or have ever heard. I have it only because Woody and Keith - for reasons that cannot possibly be understood - play on many of the tracks.

Posted by: toko ()

Jack Flash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, I came across this album while searching for
> MP3's last night. It says that it's Keith and
> Ronnie, but whoever sings on it is terrible and
> doesn't sound a thing like either of them. Can
> anyone tell me if this authentic, because I never
> heard of this before?

Keith and Ronnie were just guest guitarists on
the album (alot of it). Don't know much about the
singer.

Date: September 14, 2005 19:34

How did the guys wrangle Keith and Woody into playing on it. They must've had some good drugs!

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: September 14, 2005 23:46

I think the lead singer may have been in a band called the ruts.Kind of punks I think.I have the vinyl somewhere

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: September 14, 2005 23:55

Yep I know the ruts and used to love a punk_white reggae anthem called Jah War. Had no idea they had anything to do with the dirty strangers. Used to love the singer cool smiley but I'm not surprised he aged atrociously - also I aged and grew a little more critical to shouting punks!

Date: September 14, 2005 23:56

How does the lead singer of a band called the ruts get Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood to play guitar on his album. I mean, I'm in a band called Fellatio and I can't eve get a few guys from the Oak Ridge Boys to lay down a few licks.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 15, 2005 00:15

The Ruts werent connected to the Dirty Strangers

The guy who led and sang for the Dirty Strangers was called Alan Clayton. he was the guy who knew Woody (and to a lesser extent, Keith)

The lead singer of the Ruts was Malcolm Owen, who killed himself with an overdose in 1980, several years before this Dirty Strangers album. The remaining band members carried on for a while after his death as The Ruts DC

Posted by: pafult01 ()
Date: September 15, 2005 05:28

Impressive command of triva there, Gazza, What year did this album come out, and are Keith and Ronnie's guitar parts on there any good? Good enough that I'd actually want to get this thing and sit through listening to it?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 15, 2005 05:53

yeah go get it - it's great

Posted by: pafult01 ()
Date: September 15, 2005 06:03

liddas - awesome link - thanks for that. I had no idea Keith had done so many sessions.

Date: September 15, 2005 07:45

You know, after listening to it three times, it isn't all that bad. I wouldn't pay money for it, but it's Keith and Ronnie definitely. I'm still wondering why and how they got them to play on this.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 15, 2005 08:06

Not bad? It's total shite.....if you don't think this is bad, gimme an idea of something you DO consider bad....

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: September 15, 2005 11:03

Gazza Wrote:
>
> The guy who led and sang for the Dirty Strangers
> was called Alan Clayton. he was the guy who knew
> Woody (and to a lesser extent, Keith)
>

Alan Clayton is a friend of Keith's. According to Kris Needs, Keith met him through his minder, Joe Seabrook. Needs spent a night at the Savoy Hotel in '84 with both of them. Alan Clayton gave Keith the swordstick he threatened Julian Temple with.

Alan Clayton was with Keith on most of the European Licks and spent some time with Keith at Redlands after the tour - and he's the one Keith gave his Hummingbird to.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 15, 2005 11:33

Gee StonesTod, nice to have you say something positive for a change.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 15, 2005 12:36

pafult01 Wrote:
> Impressive command of triva there, Gazza, What
> year did this album come out, and are Keith and
> Ronnie's guitar parts on there any good? Good
> enough that I'd actually want to get this thing
> and sit through listening to it?

It came out in 1988, and has subsequently been reissued on CD with live bonus tracks (NOT featuring KR & RW of course)

I didnt think much of the album, myself, to be honest.

Thanks to Gwen for clarifying how the recording came about

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: September 15, 2005 15:28

Thanks Gazza. I have some time to write more. According to Kris Needs once again, the Dirty Strangers were pushed by Keith. He took their demos (recorded at IBC) to Paris and the DS got a couple of gigs that way. He was also the one to tell the DS to re-record 6 songs which Alan had played him, he played on them, brought Ronnie in and Keith even paid for the studio time.

Other Stones-related DS facts: their album was released on Thrill Records, owned by Prince Stash. The Stones attended the DS show at the Marquee. Ronnie leant his guitars and amps when they toured the US in '86 and Alan Clayton stayed at Keith's in NYC.

Also: Alan Clayton owns the only copy of Keith's multi-track recording for the DS album. Alan said Keith put all his heart in this album, taking the time to listen to all the songs, learning changes - he acted like he was part of the band.

So this is more than just a guest spot ("fast forward to the end of second verse, punch me in - ah, I forgot, what key is it ?").

Posted by: Rich ()
Date: September 15, 2005 21:03

I remember going to see them in a club in SW London in 88, as there were very strong rumours that Keith and Ron were going to turn up. They didn't and I ended up missing the last tube!
They did a version of Nutbush City Limits, called Shepherd's Bush City Limits.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home