Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10
Re: Your First Rolling Stones Concert
Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: October 21, 2014 10:36

Knebworth 1976. I was 15 then..

When and where did you see your first Stones concert?
Posted by: ventilatorblues ()
Date: December 25, 2014 14:14

The first time I saw the Stones was in 1973 at Kooyong Tennis centre in Melbourne. In fact it was the first time I saw anyone in concert.

I believe the tickets were $5 each. I was 14 at the time. My brother took me along, he had been a fan since they began and has seen them on every Australian tour except for two, one miss was because of the Hanging Rock cancellation. I think he was about 13 when he first saw them at the Palais.

I remember it was an extremely hot day at Kooyong and we were sitting in full sun. I wonder if there is any video in existence of the Kooyong concerts, it would be great to see it if there is.

Though I grew up with the Stones music, I'm enjoying it more now, maybe I just appreciate them more as the realisation dawns that they won't be around forever.

I haven't been a dedicated fan, however after seeing them at Rod Laver this year I wish I'd seen them on all their Aussie tours. I'd love a chance to see them again.

Re: When and where did you see your first Stones concert?
Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: December 25, 2014 14:24

I first saw the Stones in Clearwater, Florida on May 6, 1965, later that night Keith woke up and played the chords to Satisfaction into a tape recorder on his bedside table, or so the legend goes...smiling smiley I was 13 at the time, we had just seen them on the Ed Sullivan show four days earlier.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: December 25, 2014 17:59

1978, June 17. JFK Stadium, Philadelphia Pa.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: December 25, 2014 19:53

Wasn't sure if I was going to see this show 8th June, 1975 - County Stadium, Milwaukee, WI, for two reasons.

#1. I had the measles less than a week before the show

#2. It was the same day as my high school graduation.

But I got over the measles and my parents got over me skipping out of high school graduation. There was no way I was going to miss what I thought at that time might be my last chance to see my favorite band.

Great photos of this show including the one above can be found at a friend of mine's website:

[richzimmermann.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-05 19:18 by mighty stork.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: December 25, 2014 20:13

portugal 1995

Posted by: golfjen2001 ()
Date: December 25, 2014 20:17

1969 Montreal Tina turner opening act bodyguards covered the stage due to treats on Mick life early in day equipment truck blown up out side of forum.I was 15 was intense short show.Seen them 30 times since.

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: December 25, 2014 23:54

2nd show, LA Forum, Dec 8 1969. I wasn't a fan, so I took my trusty Bolex 8mm motion picture camera, loaded with a high speed Ektachrome emulsion so I would 'have something to do' during the show. BB King opened, followed by Ike & Tina Turner. The Stones took the stage around 2 or 3AM. The sun was rising as we headed for our cars after the show. I was blown away. I was going to Art Center at the time, and used the footage to cut together an 8mm anti-war student film consisting of TV news footage of the Viet Nam war I shot off the screen of a black & white TV, clippings from Life magazine, and my Stones Forum footage. I set it to SFTD. I watched it again the other night. It still plays well, probably because I didn't know what I was doing. I still have another 150' or so of footage I didn't use. I want to get it all transferred to a hi-def file and redo it in Final Cut. If and when I figure how to upload it, I'll post it for all to see.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: December 26, 2014 00:08

Chicago Soldiers Field July 8, 1978.

Wow. I was 18 and really drunk the night before. My friends left me behind. The kindness of three young ladies that took me in at the Travelodge on Michigan really saved me. Our seats were not great but who cares. I was seeing the ROLLING STONES. It was a great time and show. I remember Journey opened and were not great.

Sweet little 16 & Let it Rock was the highlight for me. A memory for life.

God save the Rolling Stones!

Posted by: Jos ()
Date: December 26, 2014 00:31

9 October 1970, Amsterdam RAI. 18 years old, skipped shool and stayed away from home unanounced

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: December 26, 2014 02:19

timmyj3
Chicago Soldiers Field July 8, 1978.

Wow. I was 18 and really drunk the night before. My friends left me behind. The kindness of three young ladies that took me in at the Travelodge on Michigan really saved me. Our seats were not great but who cares. I was seeing the ROLLING STONES. It was a great time and show. I remember Journey opened and were not great.

Sweet little 16 & Let it Rock was the highlight for me. A memory for life.

God save the Rolling Stones!

2nd show for me at age 21. Remember it being super hot and the bill also included Peter Tosh and Southside Johnny & Asbury Jukes. All the acts were good but I thought the Stones were great that day.

Posted by: Stoner72 ()
Date: December 28, 2014 00:36

Chicago Stadium, July 22, 1975

One summer morning I raced a horde of fans to a department store Ticketmaster counter and snagged two tickets to what was almost immediately a sold-out show.

The ten-dollar price tag looks like spare change now, but in 1975 it represented five hours' work washing cars at a Pontiac dealership.

While the sound was initially mediocre, the sight of the actual Rolling Stones standing in the middle of that lotus-shaped stage was unforgettable.

Whew.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 29, 2014 00:00

1969Fan
2nd show, LA Forum, Dec 8 1969. I wasn't a fan, so I took my trusty Bolex 8mm motion picture camera, loaded with a high speed Ektachrome emulsion so I would 'have something to do' during the show. BB King opened, followed by Ike & Tina Turner. The Stones took the stage around 2 or 3AM. The sun was rising as we headed for our cars after the show. I was blown away. I was going to Art Center at the time, and used the footage to cut together an 8mm anti-war student film consisting of TV news footage of the Viet Nam war I shot off the screen of a black & white TV, clippings from Life magazine, and my Stones Forum footage. I set it to SFTD. I watched it again the other night. It still plays well, probably because I didn't know what I was doing. I still have another 150' or so of footage I didn't use. I want to get it all transferred to a hi-def file and redo it in Final Cut. If and when I figure how to upload it, I'll post it for all to see.

That would be great! Thanks in advance.

Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: December 29, 2014 07:29

drocker
Dusseldorf

better later than never cool smiley

I agree thumbs up - Zürich 01.06.2014

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: December 29, 2014 09:40

Paris 05.06.1976

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 29, 2014 11:41

First Stones show..........May 29 1976 THE HAGUE, HOLLAND
LATEST Stones show..... Stockholm, 2014

Next stones show.........hopefully London summer 2015

Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-29 11:42 by corriecas.

Posted by: NedKellyBandit ()
Date: December 29, 2014 12:05

Gelsenkirchen 1990. I was only 13 years old. I hope for London in 2015.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 29, 2014 12:14

Leonard Keringer
Anaheim Stadium...southern californina...1978 some girls tour!!!!...pure magic...still have my '78 tour shirt

Knebworth in England 1976. Had a ticket for them at Earls Court earlier in the year, but the show fell on the VERY day of my finals exam at university ... so I had to blow it off !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: JK62 ()
Date: December 29, 2014 12:18

Basel 1982

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: December 29, 2014 12:45

This must be the most long-lived thread at IORR? More than nine years and still going on.
Still fun read and: I prefer this subject in front of "your LAST Rolling Stones Concert"...

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: December 29, 2014 20:00

Leonard Keringer
Havo...hyde park '69!!!...wow!!!!...i listen to that show all the time....they're the only band that can play out of tune and it still sounds great....love the selection of songs: loving cup, have mercy, etc...mick taylors first show...brilliant stuff....legendary...thanks for sharing!!!...best wishes

This wasn't my first Stones concert, but a friend is Mick Fleetwood's nephew. He was 11 years old when he watched the Hyde Park show from his uncle's shoulders. Mick is 6'7", so my friend had a nice view. At some point Mick put him down, and they got separated. A kind soul found him, and asked where he lived. He led them to Mick's house. The Good Samaritan was quite surprised when Mick Fleetwood answered the door. He was in a panic, and had been calling around, looking for his nephew. All's well that ends well.

Posted by: murf3901 ()
Date: December 29, 2014 22:16

1st: Anaheim Pond #2 - Feb 99 - No Security

Last: Anaheim Pond #2 - May 13 - 50th Ann.

In between:

2: MGM Grand - April 99 - No Security
3: Staples Center - Oct 02 - Licks
4: Anaheim Stadium - Nov 02 - Licks
5: Wiltern - Nov 02 - Licks
6: MGM Grand - Nov 02 - Licks
7: MGM Grand - Feb 03 - Licks
8: Anaheim Stadium - Nov 05 - ABB
9: Hollywood Bowl #1 - Nov 05 - ABB
10: MGM Grand - Mar 06 - ABB
11: Forum - Mar 06 - ABB
12: LA Stadium - Nov 06 - ABB
13: Anaheim Pond #1 - May 13 - 50th

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: December 30, 2014 16:32

Dortmund/Germany, March 1967.
Was 14 years young back then. smiling smiley

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: December 30, 2014 18:10

November 1965 New Haven, later that month The Academy of Music later known as the Palladium on 14th St,NYC, the original band in their youth

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: December 30, 2014 19:35

Akron Rubber Bowl - July 11, 1972

Sometime in the spring, my gang heard about the gig but had no idea how to get tickets. We lived in Mansfield, Ohio, about 40 miles from Akron. First chance we got on the next Saturday, we drove up to the Rubber Bowl to inquire about tickets. In Akron, we drove by the big black blimp hanger which looked like a big dick. We were all exceedingly stoned, so it looked pretty funny. There was a ticket booth open at the stadium. No line. Tickets were available right there so we bought 6 at $6 each.

I was 18 at the time and my gal was turning 17 the day before the show, so naturally her folks would not let her go. Six of us drove up to Akron the day before and we did the over-night camp out. It was free-range sex, drugs and rock and roll all night long. I did manage to get a few hours sleep.

The stadium was right next to the airport, and as dawn broke we heard loud jets screaming overhead but could not see them due to heavy fog. When the fog cleared, we could see they were some kind of military jets probably on practice runs. VERY loud, they were.

Sometime in the morning while everybody was getting their shit together, there was a loud explosion. Later, we learned that a bomb had gone off somewhere by the stage.

My gear consisted of a large blanket, a cooler containing beer, a bag of weed, a camera, and a cassette recorder. Around noon, there was a mad rush as everyone packed up their belongings and rushed to the gates to queue up for good seats on the pitch. I wrapped up the cooler inside the blanked and we lined up. My gang was right up against the gate. We were gonna get GREAT seats!!! And we were really stoned.

Then, the unexpected happened. My best friend became ill from too much sun. We had to usher him away from the gate and tend to him. So much for the good seats. The same thing would happen again in 1975 for the Stones Cleveland show.

When the gates finally opened there was a mad dash to get in, and my blanked got tangled around the turnstile causing much anguish to those around us trying to scurry in. Security didn't check the contents and we made it in ok. Our "seats" were on the field about 1/3 of the field away from the stage. Ok, but not great. At least we were going to see the Stones. And we were really stoned.

During Stevie Wonder's set, the riot squad suddenly appeared towards the back of the bowl and started beating people. I don't know why... too stoned.

All in all, it was a great show. Gimme Shelter audio from the show is on YouTube here:

[www.youtube.com]

I listened to the cassette for years. Recorded the entire show. The sound quality was not bad except for the first few numbers which were drowned out by me yelling "Alright" and clapping my hands. It got lost many years ago.

By the way, did i mention how stoned we were?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-30 19:50 by josepi.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: December 30, 2014 20:19

Knebworth, 1976! I was 15, then...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 30, 2014 21:18

josepi thumbs up thanks for your story.....

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 30, 2014 23:04

josepi
Akron Rubber Bowl - July 11, 1972

Sometime in the spring, my gang heard about the gig but had no idea how to get tickets. We lived in Mansfield, Ohio, about 40 miles from Akron. First chance we got on the next Saturday, we drove up to the Rubber Bowl to inquire about tickets. In Akron, we drove by the big black blimp hanger which looked like a big dick. We were all exceedingly stoned, so it looked pretty funny. There was a ticket booth open at the stadium. No line. Tickets were available right there so we bought 6 at $6 each.

I was 18 at the time and my gal was turning 17 the day before the show, so naturally her folks would not let her go. Six of us drove up to Akron the day before and we did the over-night camp out. It was free-range sex, drugs and rock and roll all night long. I did manage to get a few hours sleep.

The stadium was right next to the airport, and as dawn broke we heard loud jets screaming overhead but could not see them due to heavy fog. When the fog cleared, we could see they were some kind of military jets probably on practice runs. VERY loud, they were.

Sometime in the morning while everybody was getting their shit together, there was a loud explosion. Later, we learned that a bomb had gone off somewhere by the stage.

My gear consisted of a large blanket, a cooler containing beer, a bag of weed, a camera, and a cassette recorder. Around noon, there was a mad rush as everyone packed up their belongings and rushed to the gates to queue up for good seats on the pitch. I wrapped up the cooler inside the blanked and we lined up. My gang was right up against the gate. We were gonna get GREAT seats!!! And we were really stoned.

Then, the unexpected happened. My best friend became ill from too much sun. We had to usher him away from the gate and tend to him. So much for the good seats. The same thing would happen again in 1975 for the Stones Cleveland show.

When the gates finally opened there was a mad dash to get in, and my blanked got tangled around the turnstile causing much anguish to those around us trying to scurry in. Security didn't check the contents and we made it in ok. Our "seats" were on the field about 1/3 of the field away from the stage. Ok, but not great. At least we were going to see the Stones. And we were really stoned.

During Stevie Wonder's set, the riot squad suddenly appeared towards the back of the bowl and started beating people. I don't know why... too stoned.

All in all, it was a great show. Gimme Shelter audio from the show is on YouTube here:

[www.youtube.com]

I listened to the cassette for years. Recorded the entire show. The sound quality was not bad except for the first few numbers which were drowned out by me yelling "Alright" and clapping my hands. It got lost many years ago.

By the way, did i mention how stoned we were?

So good to read your post thumbs up

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 30, 2014 23:07

Little Boys Play with Stones

Palais Des Sports, Lyon, France – June 9th, 1976
I was 15 years old

BTW, Thank you Harri . et je suis sincère smiling smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: December 31, 2014 18:14

My first Stones gig was in Nice on June 13th 1976.
The show was terrific. I can remember as if it was to-day.
The Stones were great, but the managing of the venue was very bad. The gates had been opened after a long delay. People had to wait outside in the dust for hours under the burning summer sun. The crowd was pushing against the gate. As a result, the gate fell down and everybody rushed into the venue. I ran as fast as I could and I succeeded to be in front of stage and my ticket has not been checked.
The price was 40 French francs, which is 6 (six) euros!

The set list was:
1. Honky Tonk Women
2. If You Can't Rock Me / Get Off of My Cloud
3. Hand of Fate
4. Hey Negrita
5. Ain't Too Proud to Beg
6. Fool to Cry
7. Hot Stuff
8. Star Star
9. Angie
10. You Gotta Move
11. You Can't Always Get What You Want
12. Happy
13. Tumbling Dice
14. Nothing from Nothing (performed by Billy Preston)
15. Outa-Space (performed by Billy Preston)
16. Midnight Rambler
17. It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
18. Brown Sugar
19. Jumpin' Jack Flash
20. Street Fighting Man
The Stones were absolutely great. I really enjoyed the Stones concert.

Nine years earlier in June 1965, I had attended the Beatles gig: it had been the worst performance I have ever seen.
The Stones have always been the best.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1701
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home