Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940Next
Current Page: 36 of 40
Re: San Diego CA USA 24-May-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: elmahore ()
Date: May 27, 2015 21:28

You're right yeababyyea - great version - and i know it is very hard to tell but it looks like the crowd was just standing there.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 27, 2015 21:30

Better "just standing" than sitting it through I say. GA for all shows!

Posted by: elmahore ()
Date: May 27, 2015 21:39

Hey Nikkei - i agree with you i just thought he crowd woulda been jiivin a little more! But i do agree with you!

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 27, 2015 21:45

We couldn't move! Certainly couldn't jive.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: May 27, 2015 21:53

... I like the sound of this concert is great to see that Wood is back playing sober and feels! Mick is always fantastic, Keith does what he can, Charlie is impeccable. It 'nice to hear the guitars back in the foreground, it's nice to see the fun on stage, this is rock and roll.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 27, 2015 22:19

elmahore
Hey Nikkei - i agree with you i just thought he crowd woulda been jiivin a little more! But i do agree with you!

Well what can you do. We did have some wild crowds last summer in Europe, but I trust they know the demographics in their respective markets. Thus, seats on the field.
Sincerely hope it doesn't affect the performance energy (we know they feed on it)

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: May 27, 2015 22:31

Nikkei
elmahore

Well what can you do. We did have some wild crowds last summer in Europe, but I trust they know the demographics in their respective markets. Thus, seats on the field.
Sincerely hope it doesn't affect the performance energy (we know they feed on it)

I always take floor seats at stadiums because I want to be up and dancing the whole time. I hate it if I'm in the stands and I get people behind me asking me to sit down so they can see. I always tell them two things: look at Keith, he's older than you and you don't see him sitting down! and: The day the Stones look out and the crowd is all sitting down is when they will stop touring.

I agree, GA would be great. That's what made the pit so good in 2013.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 27, 2015 22:35

yeababyyea
Redhotcarpet
laertisflash
I think you' re rihgt, yeababyyea. The particular version of "Brown Sugar" is excellent.

How come, is there something special you like about this version?

Keith's on form. He hits the strings much harder than he usually does on Brown Sugar, and keeps on riffing through the whole song. Sometimes he stops playing when Mick starts to sing, then it sounds a bit flat as you only hear Chuck's lonely keyboard behind Mick.
The tempo of the song is also slightly faster than last year, imo.

Overall, the whole band is ''on''.
The only weak link is Mick singing, he should be more in key.
And I could do without Lisa's tiresome backing vocals.

Keith was pretty aggressive the whole night actually. Only occasionally did he lay back and color the mix instead of leading the pack. Brown sugar certainly got going, the groove was good, the band hitting the mark after a strange intro.

Was it just me or did something sound way off with Keith's opening chords to this tune? I think Dave Natale picked up on it too because Keith was almost muted after the initial opening chords.

peace

Posted by: rod ()
Date: May 27, 2015 23:26

Redhotcarpet
roller99
Redhotcarpet
You guys seriously enjoy that performance? It's the same version theyve done since 1989. And some showman shite with Lisa pretending to kiss Keith. Geez.

Go find a board with a band YOU like. This place is for Stones fans.
well i am a fan so.. I still say Shelter hasnt sounded good since 1975 and i hope they change it, come up with some new version of it. Maybe just keith charlie and mick with keith on a open e tuned rawsounding distorted acoustic.

mick keith ron charlie....and chuck I couldn't agree more
and they ve done the same since '89..entirely agree absolutely!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 28, 2015 00:03

Nikkei
crawdaddy
Just been going through these 18 pages and gotta say I thought it was a great setlist for a stadium show.

No complaints from me if I had been there.
Gotta say though I would want a half decent seat or preferably standing, less than 100 metres away from the stage. I wouldn't fancy being in a crap seat in the rafters or anywhere too far away and up high though. Would take a lot of the enjoyment out of it ,even with those huge screens.
Hope some youtube clips appear in next day or two

Big thanks to Nikkei for all the pics and running commentary. You did a great job. Well done. smileys with beer

Thank You for appreciating it. smileys with beer
But I sure hope that for the upcoming shows Cristiano will be on the job again, as the time difference for us Europeans is quite nasty

You've done a great job and I'll try to do my best on the upcoming concerts. winking smiley We're lucky to have great posters doing this, like you, Irix and a lot of others. smiling smiley

Posted by: JackHampshire ()
Date: May 28, 2015 03:05

On Monday evening, my visiting out-of-town friends and I went to the Grand Del Mar in hopes of meeting someone in the band. We were very fortunate to find Chuck Leavell and his wife in the bar, alone, and they were very happy to talk to us about the San Diego show, what worked, what didn't, and what songs should be dropped!

Date: May 28, 2015 03:21

By the way, that wasn't the real hotel, so don't bother trying to find them!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 28, 2015 06:20

JackHampshire
On Monday evening, my visiting out-of-town friends and I went to the Grand Del Mar in hopes of meeting someone in the band. We were very fortunate to find Chuck Leavell and his wife in the bar, alone, and they were very happy to talk to us about the San Diego show, what worked, what didn't, and what songs should be dropped!

Thanks, Jack.

Anything useful besides the fake hotel warning to offer up?
(eg- what songs should be dropped, what worked, what didn't)

Understand that now that you've identified Chuck you may not want to break his confidence, but a way to actually share interesting info might have been to attribute it to a support person, an insider.. etc.

As it stands now, it's likely only interesting to you.
And your friends and family.

Date: May 28, 2015 07:14

I was just sharing our good fortune and the fact that Chuck is a very charming Southern gentleman. When you have the chance to meet someone in the band, it's something to share with others that might care. That's all.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 28, 2015 08:12

MisterDDDD
JackHampshire

Thanks, Jack.

Anything useful besides the fake hotel warning to offer up?
(eg- what songs should be dropped, what worked, what didn't)

Understand that now that you've identified Chuck you may not want to break his confidence, but a way to actually share interesting info might have been to attribute it to a support person, an insider.. etc.

As it stands now, it's likely only interesting to you.
And your friends and family.
DDD's got him on the ropes...

Date: May 28, 2015 08:34

Yep, on the ropes having a drink with Chuck.

Posted by: Sam4741 ()
Date: May 28, 2015 10:24

I was at the Petco show and don't let anyone fool you--the gig was incredible. Don't know if anyone cares for a review at this point, but here A few thoughts:

--Many people on this board are tired of the warhoses (and rightfully so), but when they were played at Petco, the crowd went crazy. So I understand the band's decision to keep them in the setlist. The show would feel incomplete to a lot of people without SMU, Satisfaction, JJ Flash, etc.

--Keith was in fine form throughout the night, and his playing got beter throughout the show. Yes, his SFTD solos are pretty unremarkable at this point, but his playing on Brown Sugar and Satisfaction was pretty sharp. His solo at the end of Satisfaction was actually very solid. Brown Sugar though might have been the highlight of the show. The band hit a real nice groove at the end, with Keith throwing in some nice lead and Ronnie (thank god) straying from the same two licks he usually plays in the song nowadays. Karl Denson also did a great job of staying close to Bobby's orginal playing on the track, and adding his own personal touch.

--The acoustics in the stadium were awful. Impossible to distinguish who was playing what, and I couldn't even hear the saxophones. Maybe that had to do with the fact that the guitars were so loud in the mix, which I happen to like. Chuck and Darryl didn't dominate the sound, letting Keith and Ronnie lead the way, giving the show the classic Stones feel that it was about to fall flat on its face (never actually happening though, of course)

--Mick, simply put, is a freak of nature. I don't understand how it's possible for a 71 year old to move like that. And his vocals were surprisingly good. He hit high notes in Can't You Hear Me Knocking I didn't think he would be able to hit. The band also did a great job with Moonlight Mile, completing the difficult task of retaining the spacy, dreamlike vibe of the original.

Date: May 28, 2015 10:46

Totally agree. Wonderful review. What a great night it was.

Date: May 28, 2015 10:53

I thought the guitars were unusually crisp for a stadium show, but I don't go to a lot of outdoor shows. A lot better guitar sound than 1981 at the LA Coliseum, for sure!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 28, 2015 12:52

JackHampshire
By the way, that wasn't the real hotel, so don't bother trying to find them!

if that wasn't the hotel you saw him at, then you didn't see him my friend.

Posted by: tauk ()
Date: May 28, 2015 12:58

Re: San Diego CA USA Rolling Stones 2015 show and travel info
Date: May 27, 2015 10:52PM

Hi everyone. I've not had a chance to post at all since the show until now. My experience was so wonderful, I literally have not been able to really find the right words. I was in A4 Row 3 (I'll describe my Seat # in a separate post right below this one due to something very odd I want to point out).

I was expecting a best-of-the-best kind of show because it's The Stones. I was expecting to be carried to the moon. However,I wasn't expecting it to be so POWERFUL physically& emotionally I feel like my mind was blown to smithereens--in a good way. I've felt sort of shell-shocked for the past couple days--in a good way.

It was beyond the moon, it was beyond the stars. If it had been any better I would've found myself in the hereafter, being greeted by angels at The Pearly Gates of Heaven.

I almost started to cry from happiness within the first 30 seconds.

I paid a small fortune. Within 5 minutes I thought "I'd have paid twice this much if I had to".

I've watched hundreds or so DVD's & you tubes of RS concerts. And I was at one in the '90's in Wisconsin (with horrible seats.) However, either Mick was really pouring it on in every good way or else this just goes to show how you can't know how POWERFUL it is to get the chance to see them up fairly close. Or perhaps it's a bit of both those factors.

And I did notice Keith seemed to me to be very genuinely happy--and Ronnie too. Mick imho came across as really wanting to please the audience very much so. and I think he more than accomplished that.

I'm so thankful for this iorr.org. I would'nt have had a chance in he** to know how to get a good seat, or maybe I wouldn't have even known about the Tour at all, at least not on time to get a decent seat. Plus iorr is how I ended up buying my 2nd ticket. Thank you to all who answered my questions along the way.

Please see the next post re. odd seat numbering.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-30 06:56 by tauk.

Date: May 28, 2015 13:00

Date: May 27, 2015 11:18PM

SUMMARY OF THIS POST: Did you know that Seats #1-6 did not exist in Section A4 I don't know about Section A5.

I have read most of the posts in this thread since the show Sunday night. I don't believe any one else has mentioned this and maybe it will have no meaning to anyone in any practical sense--but just in the event that maybe someone needs to know this info I feel my duty as a fan to mention this.

I was assigned to Seat #13 in A4, Row 3. Therefore, I expected to be the 13th seat from the runway stage. I expected Seats numbers 1-12 to between my seat & the runway stage, right? A4 was on the left side of the runway, on Ronnie's side.

However, when I arrived at my Row I discovered, much to my benefit, that Seats #1-6 DID NOT EXIST AT ALL. The first seat closest to the runway was labeled as Seat #7. So my Seat #13 was only the 7th seat from the runway, not the 13th seat from the runway. The highest numbered seat, right on the aisle between A4 & A3 was Seat #20.

Right after the show ended I checked the Seat number of the row in back of me, Row 4. The first seat closest to the runway was seat # 7, just like in my row. I didn't have time to check all the other rows in A4.

So I benefited from this. It didn't seem to cause any problem for anyone-i mean no one was showing up with a ticket for Seats #1-6. but why would Petco have done that? Didn't anyone purchase Seats 1-6?

I know that due to the changing dimensions of the END OF THE RUNWAY stage- where it becomes round, yes, there are less seats per row to allow for the round shape, and then, there are some longer seat rows where the runway stage ends, at the very back of A4 & A5. But that wouldn't have had any effect on the many rows at the front through the mid section of A4, right?

Unless there's ever another RS concert at Petco Park probably this mystery isn't important. (But if other bands play there maybe it would be a relevant question).

Carolyn G

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 13:54 by tauk.

Date: May 28, 2015 13:02

Date: May 28, 2015 01:18AM

JadedFaded
Seats 1-6 were "taken up" by the catwalk. At the back of sections A4 and A5, the rows had the full complement of seats. They want every row's seat numbers to match, so the person in seat 13 row 1 is in front of the person in seat 13 row 2, etc. all the way back to the last row. Does that make sense to you?

To JadedFaded: Thanks. Ya I see what you mean. But I still don't like that ticket buyers had no idea of that occurring. But well, it turned out great for me & I guess all's well that ends well. If I ever buy another ticket in another venue I'll make double sure I know what's what with those runway sections.

Carolyn G

Date: May 28, 2015 13:08

My Amateurish pic #1= blurry/white face-I'd love to know how you guys take the real professional looking pics with true-to-color & close ups. What kind of equipment do you use?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-29 08:26 by tauk.

Date: May 28, 2015 13:10

My amateur photo #2 Charlie on the video screen with the real Ronnie onstage just underneath Charlie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-29 08:27 by tauk.

Date: May 28, 2015 13:13

My amateur photo #3 M & K in video screen, with their real selves in lower right hand corner of pic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 13:19 by tauk.

Date: May 28, 2015 13:17

My amateur photo #4 Mick with guitar.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 13:25 by tauk.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 28, 2015 13:30

JackHampshire
I was just sharing our good fortune and the fact that Chuck is a very charming Southern gentleman. When you have the chance to meet someone in the band, it's something to share with others that might care. That's all.

Totally agree with you Jack.

After meeting Chuck and Rose in Oslo, I went away knowing they are genuinely very nice people who appreciate the fans.

I have shown the pics that myself and Rose took, with other fans I know, some here on IORR, but would not put them on a public forum or anything like that. They are a personal thing really. smileys with beer

Date: May 28, 2015 13:30

My amateur photo #5 Mick. These pics are all taken from my seat in row 3 center/front/runway section on ronnie's side.

Date: May 28, 2015 13:34

My amateur Photo #6 Three spotlights & M & K at end of runway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-29 08:30 by tauk.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940Next
Current Page: 36 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1829
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home