Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bill Wyman On Many Topics (New Album, Stones, Sticky Fingers)
Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: May 22, 2015 18:41

Your old band is about to tour behind a reissued version of Sticky Fingers. Do you get involved with those archival projects or do you remained divorced from it all?

Of course I do! The nice thing is that whenever they're putting together re-releases, I'm always involved because I'm on the stuff and because we're still great friends and all that. We still socialize. They always bring me in because I got all the history and I kept diaries and I know all the dates and I had lots of scans and memorabilia that they don't have anymore, so I become part of their releases in a nice way.

CE smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-22 18:42 by Cocaine Eyes.

Re: Bill Wyman On Many Topics (New Album, Stones, Sticky Fingers)
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 22, 2015 18:48

New Song "November" features the lyrics:
"Now I know just where I'm at/Is it a Monday, is it a Tuesday or is it November?"
Good one, Bill!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 22, 2015 18:56

There's lots in there about the Stones. It seems Bill has separated his personal relationship with the individual members from the Stones entity itself. And finally, a question about Wyman/Watts, the greatest rhythm section in British Rock.

Date: May 22, 2015 19:02

Bill Wyman:"We were never stoned or drunk like other members could have been"

24FPS
Bill Wyman:"We were never stoned or drunk like other members could have been"

The quote just above is about the two of them. And......you're right.smiling smiley

CE smoking smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 22, 2015 19:39

24FPS
There's lots in there about the Stones. It seems Bill has separated his personal relationship with the individual members from the Stones entity itself. And finally, a question about Wyman/Watts, the greatest rhythm section in British Rock.

Bill was also a big part of the melody section, don't let's forget that!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 22, 2015 19:47

kleermaker
24FPS

Appreciating Bill Wyman seems to be an insider thing. But slowly, over time, it's understood that he WAS the bass player for the classic Stones, and that they were much, much better with him.

Date: May 22, 2015 19:55

24FPS
kleermaker
24FPS

Appreciating Bill Wyman seems to be an insider thing. But slowly, over time, it's understood that he WAS the bass player for the classic Stones, and that they were much, much better with him.

His playing perfectly fit their music imo. It takes some special attention to hear the/his bass doing what it does except from supporting the rhythm.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 22, 2015 19:59

I love his rolling bass lines from the late 70s and early 80s, typically heard on "She Was Hot" but also on a lot of outtakes like "Break Away", often pretty similar but they worked great.

I pick it up, say, "Who is it?" and I hear, "It's me, Charlie [Watts]." I say, "Charlie, it's three o'clock in the morning, what are you doing calling?" And he says, "Well, I just heard about your feat at cricket, and it's amazing!" I say, "Where are you?" He goes, "I dunno, one minute." Then you heard footsteps going, bump-bump-bump in the distance, then he comes back and says, "I'm in somewhere called Buenos Aires or something." I said, "You're in Argentina, Charlie!" He had no idea where he was at all

That's a good one, sounds consistent with what we saw of Charlie on Twitter the other day ;-)

If the guys ever did come calling again for a one-off gig, what would you say?
[Laughs] No! You can't go back and relive something and have it be the same. I have no thoughts about it ever. I'm still great mates with them. We still send each other Christmas and birthday presents as we always did, and sometimes I do gigs with Charlie and his band or with Ronnie Wood if he's doing a special. That's all it is

Well he did it a couple of years ago, surely he would do it again in London ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-22 20:01 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 22, 2015 20:00

Nice little read. But, jeezus, the hair.... Please, Mick, send Bill the name of your stylist and hair colourist.

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 22, 2015 20:00

Great article. I follow and listen to and read everything about the Stones. If it is Stones related I will see what it says. However, I generally only believe what is said by the Stones themselves.

So when BW Hutton talks I Listen.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 22, 2015 20:12

Nikkei
New Song "November" features the lyrics:
"Now I know just where I'm at/Is it a Monday, is it a Tuesday or is it November?"
Good one, Bill!

Arrrgghhhh....copyright alarm......!!!!!!

True conversation 1981.....

A friend..."what day is it?

Me......"I don't know, I know it's September if that helps"...........It wasn't, it was April.....................

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 22, 2015 21:12

dmay
Nice little read. But, jeezus, the hair.... Please, Mick, send Bill the name of your stylist and hair colourist.

he looks like most people his age. my parents are his age, and that's how old they look. i think is honesty about who he is and who he isn't is refreshing.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: May 22, 2015 21:25

3 big tours in 89/90? and also it sounds like Bill thinks the Leeds gig was at the football stadium instead of the University as he goes on to mention Maine Road and Slane Castle. Nontheless a good interview.

Date: May 22, 2015 21:28

Turner68
dmay

he looks like most people his age. my parents are his age, and that's how old they look. i think is honesty about who he is and who he isn't is refreshing.

Vanity is not a thing of his and I like it too.

Date: May 22, 2015 21:36

dmay
But, jeezus, the hair.... Please, Mick, send Bill the name of your stylist and hair colourist.

Oh come on! Not a single one of us is getting any younger. We should all be blessed to make it to age 78. I've always loved Bill Wyman and his playing.

Just my opinion.......eye popping smiley

CE smoking smiley

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 22, 2015 21:55

Hey, gang, I wasn't razzin' on Bill's age. My head is topped with gray hair, too, but that Keith style shag of my youth is long gone and only Willie Nelson can get by with long hair these days. Bill's hair style makes him look like he's tryin' too hard to cover up his baldness and appear more "utefull" as my cousin Vinnie would say. It's almost as bad as the balding and or gray haired guys who grew out their hair and had ponytails in an attempt to look like they still had hair. It only made them look ridiculous. And if any of y'all out there are among this group I just mentioned, I mean no offense. And, FYI, I keep my hair short and am in need of seeing Miss Angela for a trim.

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: May 22, 2015 22:56

geordiestone
3 big tours in 89/90? and also it sounds like Bill thinks the Leeds gig was at the football stadium instead of the University as he goes on to mention Maine Road and Slane Castle. Nontheless a good interview.
did the Stones ever play Main(e) Road in Manchester?
edit... yes they did 1990!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-22 22:58 by johnh.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 23, 2015 00:12

Well just a so so interview. Another of these 10 to 15 minute chats which may have been conducted ovrr the phone.
Bill isnt, as far as I am aware doing any concerts to promote the record.
So he needs to raise his profile with TV and radio specials.
He warrants a major TV documentary (The Imagine series are very good).
Otherwise I don't think he will be troubling the charts.
Maybe a slot on the Jools Holland show, at the very least.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 23, 2015 00:15

Good to know they're all getting along so well...I guess he's the one that's insisting to have his image wiped from the new repackages.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-23 00:34 by treaclefingers.

Date: May 23, 2015 08:27

treaclefingers
Good to know they're all getting along so well...I guess he's the one that's insisting to have his image wiped from the new repackages.

wait what really? his image will be removed from the reissues?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 23, 2015 08:35

I think Treaclefingers is kidding. Referring to how Bill was airbrushed out of the group pic for the Rarities CD.

Date: May 23, 2015 08:38

DGA35
I think Treaclefingers is kidding. Referring to how Bill was airbrushed out of the group pic for the Rarities CD.

i've heard a nasty rumor that sometimes when they license their music for use in a movie or commercial they re-record over bill's bass parts so they don't have to pay him. i assume they are only rumors.

Date: May 23, 2015 15:56

Turner68
DGA35

i've heard a nasty rumor that sometimes when they license their music for use in a movie or commercial they re-record over bill's bass parts so they don't have to pay him. i assume they are only rumors.

Very unlikely. But despite the fact that both Taylor and Bill seem still to have friendly relations with the band(members), Mick and Keith unmistakeably still hold a grudge against them because of their 'quitting'.

Letting Bill play on only two short numbers and not letting Bill and Mick T. play together during the London O2 shows was also a clear sign of that grudge. It's hard to interpret it otherwise.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 23, 2015 16:01

kleermaker
Turner68
DGA35

Very unlikely. But despite the fact that both Taylor and Bill seem still to have friendly relations with the band(members), Mick and Keith unmistakeably still hold a grudge against them because of their 'quitting'.

Letting Bill play on only two short numbers and not letting Bill and Mick T. play together during the London O2 shows was also a clear sign of that grudge. It's hard to interpret it otherwise.

Old grudges die hard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-23 16:02 by treaclefingers.

Date: May 23, 2015 16:03

treaclefingers
kleermaker
Turner68
DGA35

Old grudges die hard.

Old Bassplayers fade away...

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 23, 2015 16:13

Nice BB King Interview with Bill

[www.bbc.co.uk]

BluesMagazine interview
[www.bluesmagazine.nl]

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 23, 2015 16:54

treaclefingers
kleermaker
Turner68
DGA35

Old grudges die hard.
I disagree there were many many ifs when the stones recruit

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 23, 2015 16:58

treaclefingers
kleermaker
Turner68
DGA35

Old grudges die hard.
I disagree there were many many ifs when the stones regrouped for their anniversary. they needed to control their stage and having them each place separately in hindsight may seem callously cruel but they were justly afraid things might go haywire.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 24, 2015 03:36

>3 big tours in 89/90?

Yes:

US
Japan
EU

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1938
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home