Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ALBUM DEATH MATCH: BtB vs TSMR (the epic battle for the hearts and minds of 1967)
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 22, 2015 15:56

POP vs PSYCHEDELIA!

In one corner, we have our one and only smiling sweetly pop inflected BETWEEN THE BUTTONS.

In the other, we have the 3D ventricular behemoth of acid, The Rolling Stones answer to Sgt. Pepper...THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST!

Now, we'll use the US version of the BtB album, which will include two very heavyweight songs, the double sided hit Ruby Tuesday and Let's Spend The Night Together. To counter balance that and because BtB has 11 songs to TSMR 10, we'll give TSMR that other slice of psychedaelia, the single We Love You.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!

LET's SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER vs. SING THIS SONG ALL TOGETHER - Never in the history of ALBUM DEATH MATCH have we scored a 1st round KO...ok not a knock out, a knock down...standing 8 count is applied and TSMR staggers to her majestic feet. LSTNT is perhaps the stones finest pop music cut...Sing This Song Together may just be the worst album opener in their immense catalogue. easy 1-0

YESTERDAY's PAPERS vs. CITADEL - well well well, we have a pretty good matchup here! Anyone got a favourite? Who wants yesterday's papers?! Yesterday's Girl vs. Candy and Taffy! Candy and Taffy and Keith`s riff take it. 1-1

RUBY TUESDAY vs. IN ANOTHER LAND - OK, Bill's one and only writing contribution (at least that was recognized) is cute here. Not a bad song at all. Love the warbled effect on the vocal. How the hell that got to be a single though, I have no idea. I can only imagine both Mick and Keith were lying on the studio floor in a acid induced stupor with Brian, or in jail, when a DECCA exec came in and asked what the follow-up single would be. Bill answered while Charlie smirked from behind the drum kit. Another almost KO for BtB...standing 8 count and RUBY TUESDAY, one of the stones most sublime ballads that can stand toe to toe with any Beatles ballad, takes it, 2-1. It should win just for Brian's recorder.

Connection vs. 2000 Man - oh you're killing me...both amazing toons. Is this Keith's first lead vocal? I think so, and it's amazing...but 2000 Man, while heavily penalized for KISS covering it in 1979, still slaps Keith's cut around enough to take the round and we're all tied up, 2-2. Oh Daddy, proud of your planet!

She Smiled Sweetly vs. Sing This Song Together (See What Happens) - OMG. Smiling vs. Snoring. To answer Mick's question of why don't we sing this song altogether...everyone together...BECAUSE IT'S SO F*CKING STOOPID! 3-2

Cool Calm and Collected vs. She's A Rainbow - we should note that TSMR saved it's lead single in reserve to render a bitch-slapping in round 6...Cool Calm and Collected looks quite nervous, and rightly so as She's a Rainbow comes in colours everywhere, rendering CC&C mostly blood red in the process. we're all tied up again 3-3!

All Sold Out vs. The Lantern - who knew we'd have so many great matchups...this one is very tight...can't quite decide. I think we'll go with All Sold Out as it's always been one of my faves on BtB and MJ's fully committed to that vocal. Love it, 4-3

My Obsession vs. Gomper - you can't be serious. 5-3

Who's Been Sleeping Here vs. 2000 LIGHT YEARS FROM HOME - a throwaway vs. an absolute psychedelic classic...it's so very lonely 5-4.

Wow, what a tight matchup...!

Complicated vs. On With The Show - I've never really liked the idea of the Stones doing an Avril Lavigne cover so I'm going to have to go with the song that sounds like they're in some sort of circus. 5-5! WOW, on with the show to the tie breaker!

Something Happened To Me Yesterday vs. We Love You - Now, to be fair WLY wasn`t on TSMR, but should have been. Given that we included two massive tracks by going with the US version of BtB, I think that more than evened things out. Something Happened To Me Yesterday is a lovely quirky tune...one of my favourite Kinks impersonations. Keith again showing up to add a few lead vocals. But We Love You is dark, dangerous and the antithesis of All You Need Is Love, complete with the slamming of cell doors. Easy choice. 5-6! TSMR pulls from behind!

Psychelia SMASHES Pop in a bloody split decision! Their Satanic Majesties Request, for all it`s flaws, is actually a great album!!

Re: ALBUM DEATH MATCH: BtB vs TSMR (the epic battle for the hearts and minds of 1967)
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 22, 2015 16:00

Christ, only Winner from psych is 'Rainbow' against 'CCC'....11 - 1 to POP...

smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Re: ALBUM DEATH MATCH: BtB vs TSMR (the epic battle for the hearts and minds of 1967)
Date: May 22, 2015 16:03

Come On
Christ, only Winner from psych is 'Rainbow' against 'CCC'....11 - 1 to POP...

smoking smiley

Come On...you know it ain`t easy, you know how hard it can be. The way things are going, their gonna crucify me.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 22, 2015 16:06

The men from the press said, "We wish you success,
It's good to have the both of you back".....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 22, 2015 16:29

This is a tough one. Ronnies contributions cannot be easily overlooked...
2000 Man and Citadel are just perfect

Date: May 22, 2015 16:33

Munichhilton
This is a tough one. Ronnies contributions cannot be easily overlooked...
2000 Man and Citadel are just perfect

What about Taylor`s outro guitar solo on ALL SOLD OUT though?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 22, 2015 17:22

TSMR is despised by many, even by Jagger himself, but not by me: a great album. Like Munichhilton said: 2000 Man and Citadel are great, just like 2000 LYFH and of course She's A Rainbow (pop song).

On the other hand, I love BtB.

So this one is a real tie.

btw: I prefer the UK BtB, if only because of Backstreet Girl.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 22, 2015 17:51

treaclefingers
POP vs PSYCHEDELIA!

In one corner, we have our one and only smiling sweetly pop inflected BETWEEN THE BUTTONS.

In the other, we have the 3D ventricular behemoth of acid, The Rolling Stones answer to Sgt. Pepper...THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST!

Now, we'll use the US version of the BtB album, which will include two very heavyweight songs, the double sided hit Ruby Tuesday and Let's Spend The Night Together. To counter balance that and because BtB has 11 songs to TSMR 10, we'll give TSMR that other slice of psychedaelia, the single We Love You.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!

I would suggest finding something else to you since very time you are so "off"

LET's SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER vs. SING THIS SONG ALL TOGETHER - Never in the history of ALBUM DEATH MATCH have we scored a 1st round KO...ok not a knock out, a knock down...standing 8 count is applied and TSMR staggers to her majestic feet. LSTNT is perhaps the stones finest pop music cut...Sing This Song Together may just be the worst album opener in their immense catalogue. easy 1-0

YESTERDAY's PAPERS vs. CITADEL - well well well, we have a pretty good matchup here! Anyone got a favourite? Who wants yesterday's papers?! Yesterday's Girl vs. Candy and Taffy! Candy and Taffy and Keith`s riff take it. 1-1

RUBY TUESDAY vs. IN ANOTHER LAND - OK, Bill's one and only writing contribution (at least that was recognized) is cute here. Not a bad song at all. Love the warbled effect on the vocal. How the hell that got to be a single though, I have no idea. I can only imagine both Mick and Keith were lying on the studio floor in a acid induced stupor with Brian, or in jail, when a DECCA exec came in and asked what the follow-up single would be. Bill answered while Charlie smirked from behind the drum kit. Another almost KO for BtB...standing 8 count and RUBY TUESDAY, one of the stones most sublime ballads that can stand toe to toe with any Beatles ballad, takes it, 2-1. It should win just for Brian's recorder.

Connection vs. 2000 Man - oh you're killing me...both amazing toons. Is this Keith's first lead vocal? I think so, and it's amazing...but 2000 Man, while heavily penalized for KISS covering it in 1979, still slaps Keith's cut around enough to take the round and we're all tied up, 2-2. Oh Daddy, proud of your planet!

She Smiled Sweetly vs. Sing This Song Together (See What Happens) - OMG. Smiling vs. Snoring. To answer Mick's question of why don't we sing this song altogether...everyone together...BECAUSE IT'S SO F*CKING STOOPID! 3-2

Cool Calm and Collected vs. She's A Rainbow - we should note that TSMR saved it's lead single in reserve to render a bitch-slapping in round 6...Cool Calm and Collected looks quite nervous, and rightly so as She's a Rainbow comes in colours everywhere, rendering CC&C mostly blood red in the process. we're all tied up again 3-3!

All Sold Out vs. The Lantern - who knew we'd have so many great matchups...this one is very tight...can't quite decide. I think we'll go with All Sold Out as it's always been one of my faves on BtB and MJ's fully committed to that vocal. Love it, 4-3

Who's Been Sleeping Here vs. 2000 LIGHT YEARS FROM HOME - a throwaway vs. an absolute psychedelic classic...it's so very lonely 5-4.

Complicated vs. On With The Show - I've never really liked the idea of the Stones doing an Avril Lavigne cover so I'm going to have to go with the song that sounds like they're in some sort of circus. 5-5! WOW, on with the show to the tie breaker!

Something Happened To Me Yesterday vs. We Love You - Now, to be fair WLY wasn`t on TSMR, but should have been. Given that we included two massive tracks by going with the US version of BtB, I think that more than evened things out. Something Happened To Me Yesterday is a lovely quirky tune...one of my favourite Kinks impersonations. Keith again showing up to add a few lead vocals. But We Love You is dark, dangerous and the antithesis of All You Need Is Love, complete with the slamming of cell doors. Easy choice. 5-6! TSMR pulls from behind!

Psychelia SMASHES Pop in a bloody split decision! Their Satanic Majesties Request, for all it`s flaws, is actually a great album!!

What a joke

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 22, 2015 19:04

Let's Spend The Night Together vs. Sing This Song All Together
1 - 0
"Let's Spend the Night Together", clearly, since the alternative is one of the worst things they ever did.

Yesterday's Papers vs. Citadel
1 - 1
"Citadel", Keith banging those chords makes even psychodelic stuff bearable

Ruby Tuesday vs. In Another Land -
2 - 1
Wyman's song is cute, but Ruby Tuesday is better

Connection vs. 2000 Man
3 - 1
I don't care about either, but Connection has possibilities

She Smiled Sweetly vs. Sing This Song Together (See What Happens) -
4 - 1
SSS is horrible, but the other song, uh, which other song?

Cool Calm and Collected vs. She's A Rainbow -
4 - 2
And there's the second song on Their Majesties which is actually really good, with great arrangements.

All Sold Out vs. The Lantern -
4 - 3
Parts of what the guitar does is great. It really is not so bad, something which cannot be said for All Sold Out

My Obsession vs. Gomper -
4 - 4
Gomper is ridiculous, but hell, My Obsession is horrible too.
The melody of Gomper reminds me of something done by Velvet Underground.
The advantage of Gomper is that nobody would ever believe this is actually the Stones, and that sort of makes it funny.

Who's Been Sleeping Here vs. 2000 Light Years From Home -
4 - 5
Obviously

Complicated vs. On With The Show -
5 - 5
Because "On With the Show" is even more embarrassing than Complicated.

Something Happened To Me Yesterday vs. We Love You -
5 - 6
I hate vaudeville or whatever that "when I am 64" sort of polka rhythm is called. And "We Love You" is rather good, actually.

So TSMR wins.
If they would have added "Child Of The Moon" too, and thrown out the obvious rubbish, TSMR might even have been a good album. "BtB" however, I don't like at all. And the UK version is even worse because it doesn't have "Let's Spend the Night".

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: May 22, 2015 19:16

Behave yourself winking smiley
No Back Street Girl or Miss Amanda Jones? What were they thinking!!
The UK version is a better selection - leave the singles where they are...
I love both albums - would need to compare track by track - but it will end up as a draw winking smiley

Date: May 22, 2015 19:36

potus43
treaclefingers
POP vs PSYCHEDELIA!

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!

What a joke

At least you enjoyed yourself! I'll be patting myself on the back all weekend.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: May 22, 2015 19:45

What about Miss Amanda Jones?

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 22, 2015 19:52

waste of time. you so off every time

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: May 22, 2015 21:06

This is the battle we've all been waiting for. Fight of the century for the dissociative identity disorder championship of the world. Dr Jekyll vs Mr Hyde. Muhammad Ali Vs Cassius Clay.

I will take the liberty to add Miss Amanda Jones (which Wikipedia left out, hint hint) and the singles. In fairness, we'll pit the singles against each other, then let the UK versions slug it out until death.

Let's start off with the singles.

Let's Spend the Night Together vs We Love You - two of the finest tracks in the Stones early canon. LSTNT takes a big early lead based on popularity, but WLY fights back and ties it up with darkness in the 15th round as an underrated classic that grows better with time. Split decision. Tiebreaker: Mick succombs to Ed Sullivan's request to censor LSTNT. Alas, WLY wins.
//BtB 0 TSMR 1

Ruby Tuesday vs Dandilion - two fine psychadelic tracks, but RT wins because of Mr. Jones' excellent contribution and an undisputedly great melody.
//BtB 1 TSMR 1

Yesterday's Papers vs Sing this All Together - the only redeeming quality of STAT is when the final horn note mercifully says "ok, time to end this cacaphony" and gracefully seques into Citadel.
//BtB 2 TSMR 1

My Obsession vs Citadel - The repeated false endings in MO make me obsess over hoping the song is over with each one every time I listen to it. Which is not a lot. Citadel is borderline great. No contest. K.O. on the first false ending.
//BtB 2 TSMR 2

Backstreet Girl vs In Another Land - IAL wins easily....woops, I must have been dreaming. Hope my snoring didn't wake you up. BG is among my very favorite Stones songs.
//BtB 3 TSMR 2

Connection vs 2000 Man - Connection is a very good tune, but I love 2000 man.
//BtB 3 TSMR 3

She Smiled Sweetly v Sing This All Together (see what happens) - In an act of desperation, STAT (swh) tries to bite SSS's ear off. It receives a lifetime ban from my listening rotation.
//BtB 4 TSMR 3

Cool, Calm & Collected vs the run-out groove of side one of TSMR - CCC is so bad that i'll take the run-out groove.
//BtB 4 TSMR 4

All Sold Out vs She's a Rainbow - ASO is one of my favorite Stones tunes, but SaR is beautiful. It's a tie. One point each because both are so good.
//BtB 5 TSMR 5

Please Go Home vs The Lantern - ask me this question 10 years ago and PGH wins. My fondness for TL has grown exponentially over time.
//BtB 5 TSMR 6

Who's Been Sleeping Here vs Gomper (part one) - to be fair to Gomper, it is being dissected for voting purposes. Gomper (part one) is a very fun tune to play on mandolin. WBSH has a nice waltzy middle, but not waltzy enough to win the fight.
//BtB 5 TSMR 7

Complicated vs Gomper (part two) - Complicated by default.
//BtB 6 TSMR 7

Miss Amanda Jones vs 2048 Light Years from Home - (48 years have passed since TSMR was released.) This is the toughest decision yet. Two of the best. If I had to choose which one to listen to RIGHT NOW, i would pick... MAJ.
//BtB 7 TSMR 7

Something Happened to Me Yesterday vs On With the Show - close match, but have always loved Keith's vocal parts in SHTMY.
//BtB 8 TSMR 7

Buttons wins by a thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-22 21:32 by josepi.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 22, 2015 21:16

I agree with a lot of these evaluations, HOWEVER, I think there is one big caveat.

Between the Buttons was brimming with originality and experimentation, even though it was "pop". There are some big failures, especially on side two, but it was still the Stones being the Stones.

Their Satanic Majesty's Request is an attempt to capitalize on a trend - psychedelia - and so is more embarrassing. I know the Stones have and will always follow the pack a bit, but when they have in the past it's usually been executed much better and in smaller does ("Miss You", "Respectable" being two examples.)

For these reasons I think Their Satanic Majesty's Request should lose the mano-a-mano against Between the Buttons.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 22, 2015 22:06

Shouldn't the 'Death Match' be between Aftermath and Between The Buttons? Considering the time-frame, song-writing styles and the general continuation that the latter-mentioned record represents? In my opinion, Satanic Majesties is very much a standalone release. There is little-to-nothing in the Stones' cannon to justifiably compare it against.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 22, 2015 23:14

treaclefingers
potus43
treaclefingers
POP vs PSYCHEDELIA!

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!

What a joke

At least you enjoyed yourself! I'll be patting myself on the back all weekend.

He seems so insightful...a virtual master at comparing and contrasting the differences...

Date: May 22, 2015 23:45

potus43
waste of time. you so off every time

I'm thrilled that despite that you keep coming back!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 23, 2015 01:45

with a username like mine i really should go for the biased answer but im picking a draw.

both very good experimental but underrated albums, both with a bit of filler yet both unique yet forming part of a year in which the stones released more songs than at any other time.

add in other songs from 1967

dandelion
we love you
sitting on a fence
ride on baby
back street girl

and we have a total of 27 songs for 1967, most of which show the ever changing sound of the band in that era.

my own favourites are

miss amanda jones
cool calm collected
something happened to me yesterday
citadel
2000 man
shes a rainbow
we love you
ruby tuesday
back street girl
complicated

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 23, 2015 08:36

treacle shouldn't your death match give some consideration to the album covers? between the buttons has a much better cover than their satanic majesty's request.

Date: May 23, 2015 15:42

Turner68
treacle shouldn't your death match give some consideration to the album covers? between the buttons has a much better cover than their satanic majesty's request.

Shouldn't TSMR win in that case...I mean, the original cover, it's like they're moving.

Like LIVE, in your living room!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2288
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home