Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Future Re-Releases
Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: May 22, 2015 09:13

Hey, all. I just had a question; in theory, might the Stones end up re-releasing deluxe versions of all their albums? Or is it only for the most popular ones like Exile and Sticky Fingers? Thanks

Re: Future Re-Releases
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 22, 2015 09:39

Where there is sufficient unreleased material/alternate versions seems to be the criteria. So that would make Satanic, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Goat's Head Soup, Black & Blue, Emotional Rescue and all the albums since Tattoo You potentials for expanded editions.

There are a lot of alt versions of their songs in varying quality available on the bootleg circuit. The chances are that the Stones will have archived all this material in their legendary vaults.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: May 22, 2015 09:40

I'm hoping that ABKCO do that for the Stones 60s UK albums. Flat transfer Mono and Stereo where possible and heaps of outtakes as bonus tracks with trainspotting sleeve notes with recording details.
I'm not sure anyone knows what they actually have in their vaults but it's surprising they haven't done this already along the lines of The Beatles mono box and The Kinks and Who reissues. You'd imagine with the band still touring that it would be worth it but maybe they just don't sell as much as we'd like to think. ABKCO certainly need to look at their price structure - their product always strikes me as expensive and probably off putting to the casual buyer.
How good would deluxe editions of albums like Beggars, Bleed, Aftermath and No.2 be given what we know exists on bootlegs ? Pretty awesome i'd say.I'd also love to hear a mellotron,bass and drums, John and Paul's vocals only version of We Love You if that was possible.
So in answer to your question... i don't know.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 22, 2015 09:47

Silver Dagger
Where there is sufficient unreleased material/alternate versions seems to be the criteria. So that would make Satanic, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Goat's Head Soup, Black & Blue, Emotional Rescue and all the albums since Tattoo You potentials for expanded editions.

There are a lot of alt versions of their songs in varying quality available on the bootleg circuit. The chances are that the Stones will have archived all this material in their legendary vaults.

True.+1

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 22, 2015 10:01

Well...it's all going to depend on whether Mick wants to do what he did for the Exile and SG rereleases, i.e. spend time rewriting lyrics and recording new vocals because it's clear from the SF rerelease that he's not willing to put any unfinished stuff out there (Highway Child, Travellin' Man, etc...). And based on the SF rerelease it seems he's moved on from that "rerecording" phase, probably bored with it and he must have read the bad reviews most of these rerecordings got, except for maybe "Plundered My Soul". Also there's the easy argument for all the records of the 70s that they already used the good stuff for TY. Having said that I'd vote for GHS next as little circulates from theses sessions.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-22 12:25 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: eyesoftheworld ()
Date: May 22, 2015 10:09

Ghosts Head Soup would be amazing.

One of my favorite albums and I'd love to hear some of those songs live...

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 22, 2015 10:54

You only have to look at boots like Place Pigalle and More Fast Numbers to see the quantity of unreleased material from the late 1970s that's potentially releasable.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: May 22, 2015 11:31

We all should know that ABKCO's last release with inedit studio music had to be 'Metamorphosis' and that the album was allowed by the Court, as part of RS vs ABKCO cause final agreement.

This is the reason why ABKCO has given the fans live versions, stereo versions of songs previously issued in re-worked mono sound and remixes ('Sympathy for the Devil').
The extended 'Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out' has been possible only because the Maisley Brother hold the rights of the music they filmed.

The only way to get new studio music from the ABKCO era is a RSR and ABCKO joint-venture, in sight of a re-issue programme.
Moreover, please, consider that integrity of the original album is not to be discussed for MJ & Co. and I'm not sure that ABKCO agrees ('Got LIVE If You Want it!' is not the album it used be anymore).
That said, I'd love to have a very expanded 'Black and Blue' including the sessions with Harvey Mandel, Jeff Beck and all the Others as well.
Bye,

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: May 22, 2015 11:51

1994+25 = 2019
Voodoo Lounge could be a good idea
Great album, many outtakes, b-sides, + excellent live recordings and videos made during the tour

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: May 22, 2015 12:01

Doc
1994+25 = 2019
Great album, many outtakes, b-sides, + excellent live recordings and videos made during the tour

The "Memory Hotel" 2CD set project from 1999 is still on the shelves.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: May 22, 2015 12:44

mitch
Doc
1994+25 = 2019

The "Memory Hotel" 2CD set project from 1999 is still on the shelves.

I bet some pieces from this project have already been released in the recent Deluxe releases...

Date: May 22, 2015 12:50

Doc
I bet some pieces from this project have already been released in the recent Deluxe releases...

I doubt it, it was supposed to contain only 1993-1997 unreleased stuff.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 22, 2015 13:31

1963luca0
We all should know that ABKCO's last release with inedit studio music had to be 'Metamorphosis' and that the album was allowed by the Court, as part of RS vs ABKCO cause final agreement.

This is the reason why ABKCO has given the fans live versions, stereo versions of songs previously issued in re-worked mono sound and remixes ('Sympathy for the Devil').
The extended 'Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out' has been possible only because the Maisley Brother hold the rights of the music they filmed.

The only way to get new studio music from the ABKCO era is a RSR and ABCKO joint-venture, in sight of a re-issue programme.
Moreover, please, consider that integrity of the original album is not to be discussed for MJ & Co. and I'm not sure that ABKCO agrees ('Got LIVE If You Want it!' is not the album it used be anymore).
That said, I'd love to have a very expanded 'Black and Blue' including the sessions with Harvey Mandel, Jeff Beck and all the Others as well.
Bye,

Cool info. Where have you got it from?
I'm sure ABKCO are interested in releasing outtakes, since Loving Cup and Title 5 were recorded while under contract with Decca/London/ABKCO.
So actually, it means that The Stones have to give the green light to ABKCO every time ABKCO wants to release something, right? If that's true, it hollows the myth, that ABKCO could release what they want.
I also read somewhere, that the reason the 2002 remasters didn't contain any bonus tracks, was because the contract with The Stones, was that every original album couldn't be expanded. Any info?

Date: May 22, 2015 13:36

From 'the Rolling Stones Worl-Wide up-dated Discography 2015'

On 31 August 1971, the Rolling Stones, plus Brian Jones’ father,
filed a $ 29 million lawsuit against Klein (and ABKCO Industry Inc.) for mishandling their funds and trying to “deceive
and defraud” them. Moreover, in August 1971, the Rolling Stones, plus Brian Jones’ father, again - filed a high court
suit against Easton and Oldham claiming that the two made a side deal with DECCA Records in 1963, cheating the
band of royalty monies. The suit claimed that Oldham convinced Brian Jones to accept six percent of wholesale record
prices for the band, while DECCA Records was actually paying Oldham and Easton fourteen percent. On 26 February
1972, ABKCO Industry Inc. has been granted a preliminary injuction by New York state court restraining Atlantic
Records from releasing an album titled ‘the Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1964-1971’. The court decided that ABKCO
Industry Inc. had adequately shown that Atlantic’s proposed identical ‘Hot Rocks’ album had appropriated performances
from their tape album. In May 1972, during final negotiations with Klein to sort out their business problems, Mick Jagger
brought along a film crew, who filmed the entire 24-hour session. The final settlement gave Klein the rights to some past
Rolling Stones recordings and publishings, plus one more album for ABKCO Records to be released through Atlantic
Records. The Rolling Stones got a million dollars and their freedom. On 10 May 1972, the Rolling Stones issued a
press release stating that they had assigned their claims against easton to ABKCO Industries Inc. and would cooperate
with ABKCO Records in that action. In the same press release, the Rolling Stones stated that they, ABKCO Industry
Inc. and Klein had “settled all outstanding differences to the satisfaction of all parties”, making it clear however that
ABKCO Records would no longer act as business manager for the Rolling Stones. As Mick Jagger succintly put it on
20 May 1972, “the settlement means that Allen Klein never has anything else to do with us”. Not to stand idly by, in
October 1972 Easton sued Oldham, Nanker Phelge Music Inc., DECCA Records, London Records and Allen Klein -
and hasn’t been heard from since.

Date: May 22, 2015 13:42

Blueranger,
Loving CUp' and more songs on 'Exile on Main St.' were recorded before the RS contract with ABKCO expired. If you look at your copies of 'Exile', you can note that, initially, those songs were copyright by ABKCO, but in the latest editions (vinyl and CD as well) those same songs are now under Promotone BV.
In other words, the RS have bought the copyright of those songs back.
THis does not mean that ABKCO does not control all the RS body of work, up to July 1970 ('@#$%& Blues' included).

I'm curious to see the copyright controllers of the forthcoming re.issue of 'Sticky Fingers': my 5" of 'Wild Horses' in under Promotone BV...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 22, 2015 14:10

I'm over-hungry for a reissue of ' Dirty Work '. This would mean that there are given two sea gulls among Eagles.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: May 22, 2015 14:11

Rather than album related timespans (which overlap source material)

Why dont they release Archive stuff from certain time periods like 64 - 66, 67-70, 71 - 74, 75 - 80, 80 - 90

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 22, 2015 15:21

Re the lawsuits against Oldham and Easton: Does anyone know how these got resolved?
ALO is quiet on the subject (ie no mention in his books).
My understanding was that Easton at any rate came out allright as basically there was no legal case to answer.
And in an earlier suit, Klein actually paid him monies as part of his strategy to get full control of Stones Ltd from Oldham and Decca.

Date: May 22, 2015 16:15

Thanks for all the great info everyone! I think this is an interesting topic. I think a deluxe Steel Wheels would be really cool, but I'm not sure if there would be enough extra material to make it worthwhile.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 22, 2015 16:30

Date: May 22, 2015 16:52

stones2000
Thanks for all the great info everyone! I think this is an interesting topic. I think a deluxe Steel Wheels would be really cool, but I'm not sure if there would be enough extra material to make it worthwhile.

Hum, they may find 5 alternate tracks and 5 live tracks from 89 (start me up, satisfaction, jjf, midnight rambler, brown sugar for example)
Exciting, isn't it?

Date: May 22, 2015 17:00

stones2000

There are some high-quality outtakes out there already:

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 22, 2015 17:05

eyesoftheworld

Original album

+ live tracks from 1973confused smileyilver Train, Angie, 100 years ago, heartbreaker
+ live track from 1975/1976: Star star
+ DVD Wembley 1973 (BBC)
+ DVD documentary: Europe 1973 with the Rolling Stones (TV footage from all over the continent)

Date: May 22, 2015 17:07

saltoftheearth
eyesoftheworld

Original album

+ live tracks from 1973confused smileyilver Train, Angie, 100 years ago, heartbreaker
+ DVD Wembley 1973 (BBC)
+ DVD documentary: Europe 1973 with the Rolling Stones (TV footage from all over the continent)

Why not a live Star Star from 1973?

Date: May 22, 2015 17:25

DandelionPowderman
stones2000

There are some high-quality outtakes out there already:

Oh cool! Thanks

Posted by: eyesoftheworld ()
Date: May 22, 2015 17:42

DandelionPowderman
saltoftheearth
eyesoftheworld

Original album

+ DVD Wembley 1973 (BBC)

Why not a live Star Star from 1973?

Good info, you ladies and gents are the best!!

I'm gonna try to find the live 100 years ago, that's one of my favorite songs.
I've heard the others listed.

Cheers!

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: May 22, 2015 18:30

saltoftheearth
eyesoftheworld

Original album

+ DVD Wembley 1973 (BBC)

Yeah, that would be amazing!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 22, 2015 18:47

Doc
1994+25 = 2019

I would think the demand for any studio recordings post-Wyman would be quite low. The older fans probably would have no interest. There were too many (bad) songs on the album itself. As an older fan I have plenty of post-Wyman video from Four Flicks and The Biggest Bang, and the rarely watched Shine A Light. Hyde Park was the first product I didn't buy, but did watch once on a rental from the library. Personally the only post-Wyman video I would care about would be a No Security DVD.

Date: May 22, 2015 19:03

24FPS
Personally the only post-Wyman video I would care about would be a No Security DVD.

A Paradiso DVD would be fine for me.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: May 22, 2015 19:05

I want to have a nice, mastered and clean version of 'You Got The Silver' with Mick on vocals. With next month's '71 live material coming, that might be all I have ever really asked for. Beyond that, I guess I'd just like a big, multi-disc 'anthology' type collection of all unreleased goodies (alt versions and outtakes, songs, as opposed to song scraps and loose, mumbly jams) from the early days on up. How much fun would that be?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home