Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Rolling Stones on Letterman for final night May 20th ?
Posted by: MrBobMartini ()
Date: May 20, 2015 08:24

josepi
Carson

Letterman

Everybody else

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-20 08:26 by MrBobMartini.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 20, 2015 11:37

Leonioid
But I am kind of bummed out, after Letterman is gone, late night talk shows are dead to me. I can not stand any of the new crop of "hosts". I tried them all, gave tham plenty of time, but they are... not my cup of tea.

This is the end of an era for me that dates back to Johnny Carson.

Oh well, it is good thing there are plenty of other....zzzzzzzzzz

Don't forget Colbert in the Fall, he could surprise us....

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 20, 2015 13:31

The Stones are rehearsing in LA. No way they will fly to the other side of the US to be on Letterman's show for a few minutes.

Date: May 20, 2015 13:36

Turner68
Leonioid
Rokyfan
Wayne Newton threatening to punch Carson's teeth down his throat was not "the gays standing up for themselves," it is not in the history books next to Stonewall, etc. Carson stopped making Wayne Newton jokes, not gay jokes.

Oh ok, because I didnt even know Wayne was a gay, not that there is anything wrong with that.

I didn't either, not that there is anything wrong with that either.

I don't even know who Wayne Newton is, and there is nothing wrong with that either.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: May 20, 2015 15:52

Wayne Newton's high voice, baby face, and lack of talent made him easy target

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 20, 2015 16:06

chatoyancy
Wayne Newton has been married to Kathleen twenty years, and to his first wife sixteen years. If he is gay he is in the closet.

and that of course never happens

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: May 20, 2015 19:08

Foo Fighters will be the musical guests on Dave's final show.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: May 20, 2015 19:13

I'm guessing they'll play "My Hero".

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 20, 2015 20:35

Yes, I had thought as much -- Dave's favorite band, it seems. Foo Fighters

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 21, 2015 06:37

ITS ON... no periscope needed!!!

I avoided looking in the "just left the sullivan theater thread"... cuz I to be wanted to be surprised.

But it is starting now

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-21 06:38 by Leonioid.

Date: May 21, 2015 07:05

WHOA!!! All those Top ten list celebs... dayam!!!

Highest net worth top 10 ever...
Probably over 2-3 Billion Dollars total

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-21 07:11 by Leonioid.

Date: May 21, 2015 07:56

Whomever called the Foo Fighters called it right...
They did a SPECTACULAR ending song for his montage...

Bye Dave... :(

RIP
LATENIGHT
TALK SHOWS
for me

Date: May 21, 2015 16:18

Leonioid

that would be me, pg. 3. It wasn't hard to guess. As a huge Foo fan myself, I was aware that Dave has many times expressed his love for them -- he also specifically requested they play at his return show after heart surgery. I was almost sure they would play the final show.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 21, 2015 18:11

No Stones. Not surprising. But a great show to end Dave's career.
(At each commercial, I checked iorr for the up to date setlist.)

Date: May 22, 2015 06:20

LeonidP
Leonioid

that would be me, pg. 3. It wasn't hard to guess. As a huge Foo fan myself, I was aware that Dave has many times expressed his love for them -- he also specifically requested they play at his return show after heart surgery. I was almost sure they would play the final show.
You are correct... again :)They did great last night.

and now... tonight... there is a hole where his show used to be...

This will take some getting over...

crud... shuzzbudd...

at least when Johnny left we had Leno...
and when Jay left we had Dave.. and now...
there is no one worthy or watching.

welp... time to go pick a good book off of the shelf... or something.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 22, 2015 07:29

No no no. At least when Johnny left we had DAVE! And we've had Dave all those years since. If Conan were still on the Tonight Show, I'd say at least we still have him, cause when he was on NBC he still had some vestige of what those guys had. He wasn't anywhere close to their level, but he had their sensibility and there would have been no one else to turn to so I would have rooted for him. But when he left network he changed a bit and now he's the same at the rest, just much older.

Its weird not having any Dave. In my mind, late night is just dead. Which is sad because Kimmel is very funny, Conan can be funny at times. There's just no one thats been around long enough for me to care to keep watching them. There's no old guard anymore. Its weird.

Also, in case anyone missed it, they DID show a picture of Mick Jagger's Top 10 he did. So he was part of the finale in some way!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 22, 2015 08:16

RollingFreak
Also, in case anyone missed it, they DID show a picture of Mick Jagger's Top 10 he did. So he was part of the finale in some way!

I saw it

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 22, 2015 14:48

Haven't been able to watch the show for 6-7 years (it's not on my regular cable menu) but saw the last show yesterday. I have been a critic of the program and, sometimes, a critic of Dave. But I must say I feel sad after the last show. I think this was the last real tonight show. It will never really be the same again. And I can't help liking the guy, afterall. 33 years is a long time. It's an institution going to the grave. In a society where everything comes and goes so fast these days I think we need some longevity in the tv-world. We need longtime tv-personalities like David Letterman. So his departure feels really sad. Like a longtime friend leaving you...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 22, 2015 16:12

Filip & Fredriks late Shows took over years ago...OK, Letterman Always had good Music in his shows sooo....sad that it is over in a way...

2 1 2 0

Date: May 22, 2015 16:27

This whole late night show concept is so outdated and predictable:

* background with windows and skyline of a big city at night
* table with couch for guests and mugs with the show logo
* band with sidekick
* jokes by host, who usually laughs the loudest himself
* skits, more jokes
* brown nosing interviews with celebrities

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 22, 2015 16:56

Sure Koen, I agree. It's dated. But the format has been with us since the birth of television and will, probably, survive decades ahead. What I was trying to say is that I think we need a constant, sort of a collective camp-fire.
I think Carson and Letterman gave us that. ...But i think the followers should renew the concept. Skip the skyline background for a starter. And the brown-nosing celebrity interviews...

Date: May 22, 2015 19:58

Come On
Filip & Fredriks late Shows took over years ago...OK, Letterman Always had good Music in his shows sooo....sad that it is over in a way...

He did have a lot of good music, Letterman seemed to give a lot of newer bands and musicians a shot at national exposure on his show.

I bet he will be missing the show next week...

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 22, 2015 20:39

Leonioid
Come On

He did have a lot of good music, Letterman seemed to give a lot of newer bands and musicians a shot at national exposure on his show.

Music was good.
As far as missing it, he told Jane Pauley, if I heard him right, that after he made the decision, one part of him felt a huge sense of relief. If it wasn't for his son Harry, I might agree with you more. His wife Regina kept telling him, he said in the same interview, that he could always find a job. :-)

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: May 22, 2015 20:57

angee
Leonioid
Come On

Music was good.
As far as missing it, he told Jane Pauley, if I heard him right, that after he made the decision, one part of him felt a huge sense of relief. If it wasn't for his son Harry, I might agree with you more. His wife Regina kept telling him, he said in the same interview, that he could always find a job. :-)

It sure will be interesting to see if/what/when we hear anything from David Letterman again. I am very happy for him and his family. I enjoyed the part in his final show where he introduced his son's friend, it was classic Letterman, as his son went from squriming to smiling. :)

I see Leno is not fading away... he is still out there doing his stand up and funny bits here and there (and he is very wealthy too) and he is as publically funny as ever. I saw Leno do a bit with the guy who took over for Craig Fergusion (who I really miss seeing) where Leno was showing this new kid how to do a talk show and it was GREAT!! I was laughing out loud and thinking "forget the new guy give Leno his own show again".

Date: May 23, 2015 05:25

Leonioid
at least when Johnny left we had Leno...
and when Jay left we had Dave.. and now...
there is no one worthy or watching.

100% agree. I can't stand Conan. That Craig Ferguson dude was terrible (is he even on anymore?) Fallon is just okay. I actually do like Jimmy Kimmel but he is not even close to the same ballpark as Letterman.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: May 23, 2015 05:49

@ Leonioid- new guy is James Corden, who is great (love british humour so much more than its american counterpart!) He is borrowing from Graham Norton's book and I love Graham Norton

I actually loved Ferguson just because of how weird he was- he had a regular conversation with his guests instead of trying to promote anything specific and it was always unplanned and spontaneous

Conan is mean but can be funny (when he's not doing that stupid wiki-bear thing)

Fallon laughs way too much and is in-genuine but his impressions are great

Kimmel can also be mean but some of his segments are really funny

I definitely did not watch Letterman as much as the others, and I really don't think he was very well-promoted (his youtube channel in particular because that is where I watch all my late-night television) but I remember an interview he did a while back with Justin Bieber where he told him his arms looked like the Sistine Chapel and Justin responded "I don't know about no sixteenth chapel" and I laughed pretty hard...
It's a shame that he's going, but I'm sure this is not the end for Dave. he'll crop up somewhere. Just look at Leno.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1937
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home