Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

(I Can t Get No) Satisfaction 50th Anniversary Edition
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 25, 2015 22:03

ABKCO is releasing a 12" maxi-single celebrating the 50th anniversary of Satisfaction. The single will include both US and UK B-sides, cut from the original master tapes with the original artwork on a 180g audiophile pressing. The single will be released on July 10, 2015.

The single is already available for pre-order on Amazon.com. Amazon UK lists this as currently unavailable, though.

(Thanks for the info, UrbanSteel winking smiley)

Re: (I Can t Get No) Satisfaction 50th Anniversary Edition
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 25, 2015 22:05

I'd already wondered when ABKCO would jump on the train

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 26, 2015 08:33

"Cut from the original master tapes" ? They didn't use the digital remasters ?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 26, 2015 09:15

Cut from the original master tapes - does this mean it is the Mono version?

A ping-pong stereo version was among others available on the UK/Europe edition from 1985 of 'Hot Rocks 1964-1971'.

A slight stereo version of 'Satisfaction' can be found on the U.S. version of 'Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)' from 2002 as well as on the worldwide 2002 reissue of 'Hot Rocks'.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-24 14:45 by Irix.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 26, 2015 09:17

Hmmmm. Wonder if ABKCO is cooking up something else from way back when.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 28, 2015 06:01

bump!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 28, 2015 07:17

To me, this is where the real 50th starts. I guess I said the same thing about England's Newest Hitmakers last year, but Satisfaction seems like a very appropriate and agreeable point to call 50 years. In 2012 I said they were calling it early. Once you reach June, its undeniable a song like Satisfaction has been around 50 years, and NOW I'm really impressed. 50th anniversary tour starts now!

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: April 28, 2015 10:40

My copy has been ordered !!

Thanks .

Date: April 28, 2015 11:04

Cristiano Radtke
ABKCO is releasing a 12" maxi-single celebrating the 50th anniversary of Satisfaction. The single will include both US and UK B-sides, cut from the original master tapes with the original artwork on a 180g audiophile pressing. The single will be released on July 10, 2015.

The single is already available for pre-order on Amazon.com. Amazon UK lists this as currently unavailable, though.

(Thanks for the info, UrbanSteel winking smiley)

A very nice release. Thanks for posting, Cristiano thumbs up

Posted by: ash ()
Date: April 28, 2015 13:01

Wonder if West Coast Assistant will be the "break my ass" version.
Nice as it looks, wouldn't it have been cool if they could have put out the unreleased first version of Satisfaction too assuming the tapes still exist ?

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: April 28, 2015 14:02

ash
Wonder if West Coast Assistant will be the "break my ass" version.
Nice as it looks, wouldn't it have been cool if they could have put out the unreleased first version of Satisfaction too assuming the tapes still exist ?

thumbs up

Date: May 12, 2015 23:31

THE ROLLING STONES RECORDED ‘(I CAN’T GET NO) SATISFACTION’ 50 YEARS AGO TODAY

“(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” a song that, arguably more so than ANY other, even “I Want to Hold Your Hand,” has served as a badge for British Invasion-era rock, was recorded by the Rolling Stones 50 years ago today, on May 12, 1965. But had things worked out differently, we might be accustomed to hearing a very different song. A version of the song was recorded two days prior, at Chess Studios in Chicago, reportedly with Brian Jones on Harmonica. (I have no idea if that recording has ever emerged anywhere, and if a better Stones maven than myself could point me in the right direction, I’d sure like to hear it.) But that version was jettisoned, and the version we all know very, very well was recorded later that week in Los Angeles, at RCA Studios. From Stanley Booth’s The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones:

The Stones tried but failed to record “Satisfaction,” flew the next day to Los Angeles, went the day after to RCA Studios, started working at 10:00 A.M. and by 2:15 A.M., more than sixteen hours later, had recorded six new songs, one of them “Satisfaction.” They went back to their hotel, slept a few hours, then [Stones manager] Andrew [Loog Oldham] and RCA engineer Dave Hassinger returned to the studio and began mixing the tracks. At 1:00 P.M. the Stones showed up to re-record certain parts, Bill, Charlie and Brian leaving at 9:00 P.M., Mick and Keith staying at the studio adding vocals till nine o’clock the next morning. They had a new album and a single that would be the most popular they had ever done.

Mick and Keith offered the following in Mark Paytress’ The Rolling Stones Off the Record:

During the Chess sessions, the Stones make their first attempt at recording a song written by Mick and Keith a few days earlier in Clearwater, Florida…
Keith: “A week later we recorded (‘Satisfaction’, again, at the RCA Studios) In Los Angeles. This time everything went right. Charlie put down a different tempo and, with the addition of a fuzz box on my guitar which took off all the treble, we achieved a very interesting sound.”
Mick: “We cut ‘Satisfaction’ in Los Angeles when we were working there. We cut quite a lot of things and that was just one—contrary to some newspaper reports, it only took us just half an hour to make it. We like it, but didn’t think of it as a single. Then London said they had to have a single immediately because “The Last Time” was long gone and we had a Shindig TV date and had to have something to plug. So they released ‘Satisfaction’ as a single.”

“We like it, but didn’t think of it as a single.” Does that not sound like EVERY story about a world-changing record? That song that the Stones didn’t think of as a single would become their first US #1 record, and be the band’s definitive work for fifty years and counting. Since you’ve heard the canonical single a million times, here’s a neat stereo mix that was released on the German edition of Hot Rocks (this is why I gave up the hunt for the Chess version—trying to run down session details for EVERY release of this song is way more spelunking than a 24-hour day allows for). I love how the acoustic guitars take prominence in this mix.

The reissue label ABKCO is celebrating this milestone with a limited, numbered 180-gram 12” reissue packaged in a larger replica of the original single art, to be released on July 10, 2015, to coincide with the date the song reached #1, and it will feature both b-side tracks from the USA and UK releases, all remastered from the original mono tapes.

Here’s the first ever public performance of the song, on the May 20, 1965 airing of Shindig

[dangerousminds.net]

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 12, 2015 23:40

Thanks for sharing the clip of the Shindig performances. The dancing girls in the back are hysterical, the car not so much. Satisfaction smashes. The announcer looks Draper-ish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-12 23:41 by Nikkei.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: May 12, 2015 23:47

Nikkei
I'd already wondered when ABKCO would jump on the train

Did they do anything last year for the 50th of the UK/US debut album? I never heard anything, but I can't believe they wouldn't cash in on the first studio album reaching 50. A chance to put the original UK version on the market or something.

Date: May 12, 2015 23:56

Nikkei
Thanks for sharing the clip of the Shindig performances. The dancing girls in the back are hysterical, the car not so much. Satisfaction smashes. The announcer looks Draper-ish

Yes, indeed. And as far as I know, it's the only known "harmonica" take that was recorded at Chess. smiling smiley

Posted by: wickerman ()
Date: July 15, 2015 23:50

Mine copy has been delivered today. Sounds bloody awesome! Love it!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 16, 2015 01:44

2copies delivered yesterday... Life is gud

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: September 18, 2015 15:48

[stashkroh.wordpress.com]

www.rsundercover.eu

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1729
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home