Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

studio live sound
Posted by: mitchrambler ()
Date: April 25, 2015 03:43

just wondering on peoples thoughts on songs better live than studio?obviously midnight rambler but anymore that extend longer or throw a curveball at us?

Re: studio live sound
Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: April 25, 2015 03:57

To me most of it sounds better live when you are there, because you are there seeing it live...But on recordings they mess with it so much that it is like a live, digitally enhanced load of crap...Although Live Vinyl Bootlegs, Got Live if you want it, Yea Yeahs and Love You Live / El Macombo were great.....Stripped was kind of Kool !!! To me all the later junk is just to digitally enhanced....To me the old Booteg Vinyl Live Shows capture it better than the officially released live junk....As you know If you dig through Booteg Vinyl Live Shows...you will dig up some gem Stones...This is digital but I think it is a great Star Star...You probably already heard it...

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-25 03:58 by 2120Wolf.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 25, 2015 04:14

Not many. They have always made sure the records sounded so good (pre-1986). I do like some live versions better for specific reasons like extended jams, different tempos and/or arrangements, general excitement but for pure sound the records are it for me.

peace

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 25, 2015 04:16

I was told many years ago that Ya Ya's has many overdubs. Not sure if this is
true or not. Maybe someone knows...?

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: April 25, 2015 04:22

Song I like better live:

Jumping Jack Flash
Brown Sugar
Beast Of Burden
Start Me Up
If You Can't Rock Me
Dancing With Mr. D
Respectable
Fool To Cry
Memory Hotel

Song which never sounds good live:

Doom And Gloom
Love Is Strong
Mixed Emotions
One Hit To The Body
Oh No Not You Again
I Got The Blues
Moonlight Mile

Date: April 25, 2015 04:46

I don't think ive heard I got the blues lives besides the marquee,but I suppose when mick taylor was with them they would extend a bit or solo more,i love when jagger throws in little bits too.

Date: April 25, 2015 04:48

Naturalust
Not many. They have always made sure the records sounded so good (pre-1986). I do like some live versions better for specific reasons like extended jams, different tempos and/or arrangements, general excitement but for pure sound the records are it for me.

peace
then why are they so known to be a live band? is it just the presence or jagger moving about?

Date: April 25, 2015 04:50

2120Wolf
To me most of it sounds better live when you are there, because you are there seeing it live...But on recordings they mess with it so much that it is like a live, digitally enhanced load of crap...Although Live Vinyl Bootlegs, Got Live if you want it, Yea Yeahs and Love You Live / El Macombo were great.....Stripped was kind of Kool !!! To me all the later junk is just to digitally enhanced....To me the old Booteg Vinyl Live Shows capture it better than the officially released live junk....As you know If you dig through Booteg Vinyl Live Shows...you will dig up some gem Stones...This is digital but I think it is a great Star Star...You probably already heard it...

[www.youtube.com]
I hear ya,i did like that,i also like don't stop live at msg 2003

Date: April 25, 2015 04:53

EasterMan
Song I like better live:

Jumping Jack Flash
Brown Sugar
Beast Of Burden
Start Me Up
If You Can't Rock Me
Dancing With Mr. D
Respectable
Fool To Cry
Memory Hotel

Song which never sounds good live:yeah dedinitely not love is strong especially at the 1994 mtv awards,but anybody seen my baby was great at the mtv fashion awards in 97. wish they do mr D this tour.

Doom And Gloom
Love Is Strong
Mixed Emotions
One Hit To The Body
Oh No Not You Again
I Got The Blues
Moonlight Mile

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 25, 2015 05:21

swimtothemoon

All the infos you need are here : [www.rollingstonesnet.com] (scroll down the page to get to GYYYO overdubs infos)

Not so many overdubs actually - except for the vocals.

"Six of ten songs are vocal overdubs. There is one possibility of guitar or instrumental overdubbing. "

"A Summary of Sources and Overdubs on "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!"

1. Jumpin' Jack Flash: Music MSG 11/27/69, vocal overdubbed.

2. Carol: MSG 11/28/69 1st, Mick Taylor's guitar piece is possibly overdubbed.

3. Stray Cat Blues: Music Baltimore 11/26/69, vocals overdubbed.

4. Love In Vain: Baltimore 11/26/69, no overdubs.

5. Midnight Rambler: MSG 11/28/69 2nd, no overdubs.

6. Sympathy for the Devil: MSG 11/28/69 1st. Verse #4 is edited out.

7. Live With Me: Music MSG 11/28/69 2nd, vocals overdubbed.

8. Little Queenie: Music MSG 11/28/69 1st, vocals overdubbed.

9. Honky Tonk Women: Music MSG 11/27/69, vocals overdubbed.

10. Street Fighting Man: Music MSG 11/28/69 1st, vocals overdubbed."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-25 05:27 by kowalski.

Date: April 25, 2015 14:13

Little Queenie has a Keith guitar overdub, and Taylor's rhythm track is wiped.

Date: April 25, 2015 14:45

By the way does anyone know if there are any overdubs on the 40th anniversary edition 5 bonus tracks ?

Date: April 25, 2015 17:22

kowalski
By the way does anyone know if there are any overdubs on the 40th anniversary edition 5 bonus tracks ?

Don't think so, but someone mentioned that Charlie's hihat on YGM sounded suspicious.

Date: April 26, 2015 08:30

DandelionPowderman
kowalski

Don't think so, but someone mentioned that Charlie's hihat on YGM sounded suspicious.

Thanks for the info thumbs up ;-)

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 26, 2015 15:33

DandelionPowderman

Did Taylor have to overdub any of his own tracks on YaYa's?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 26, 2015 15:55

I feel it's important to mention there seem to be overdubs throughout the Undercover album...and I'm pretty sure there's an overdub or two on Dirty Work...so...

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 26, 2015 16:09

kowalski

Don't shoot the messenger, but I read a while ago that Satisfaction had some kind of overdub, which means that it was considered inclusion on Ya-Ya's. I don't think any of the acoustic tracks were.

Date: April 27, 2015 00:59

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

Did Taylor have to overdub any of his own tracks on YaYa's?

Maybe he did, but they kept Keith's rhythm take. I don't know why.

Date: April 27, 2015 01:00

Munichhilton
I feel it's important to mention there seem to be overdubs throughout the Undercover album...and I'm pretty sure there's an overdub or two on Dirty Work...so...

There's still life in both those albums?

Date: April 27, 2015 16:25

DandelionPowderman
Munichhilton

I'm no Dr DP, but they were alive when I left them...pretty beat up after one hit to the body but maybe a little sleep tonight will get 'em back to zero

Date: April 27, 2015 16:28

Munichhilton
DandelionPowderman
Munichhilton

I'm no Dr DP, but they were alive when I left them...pretty beat up after one hit to the body but maybe a little sleep tonight will get 'em back to zero

My amateur diagnosis would be that they went all the way down because someone tampered with them. They should have held back...

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: April 27, 2015 22:47

mitchrambler
2120Wolf

[www.youtube.com]
I hear ya,i did like that,i also like don't stop live at msg 2003

Yeah...You know how it is you have to dig...I was never really into Officialy Released Live junk, it is all messed with....I have been into bootlegs since 1980...

Date: April 28, 2015 00:37

DandelionPowderman
Munichhilton
DandelionPowderman
Munichhilton

My amateur diagnosis would be that they went all the way down because someone tampered with them. They should have held back...

I've Had it, Had it, Had it, Had it with you're diagnosis

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 28, 2015 01:15

“I personally prefer them on records to the performances.” — Truman Capote. From >>> [www.iorr.org]

Date: April 28, 2015 01:38

Munichhilton
DandelionPowderman
Munichhilton
DandelionPowderman
Munichhilton

I find that reaction way too rude. You don't wanna be too tough on me, now do ya?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 28, 2015 02:05

DandelionPowderman
Munichhilton
DandelionPowderman
Munichhilton
DandelionPowderman
Munichhilton

I find that reaction way too rude. You don't wanna be too tough on me, now do ya?

you too are quite boring...i'm gonna get some sleep tonight.

Date: April 28, 2015 11:35

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Munichhilton
DandelionPowderman
Munichhilton
DandelionPowderman
Munichhilton

In a couple of hours you'll be back to do the Dirty Work...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 28, 2015 13:30

kowalski
swimtothemoon

All the infos you need are here : [www.rollingstonesnet.com] (scroll down the page to get to GYYYO overdubs infos)

Not so many overdubs actually - except for the vocals.

"Six of ten songs are vocal overdubs. There is one possibility of guitar or instrumental overdubbing. "

"A Summary of Sources and Overdubs on "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!"

1. Jumpin' Jack Flash: Music MSG 11/27/69, vocal overdubbed.

2. Carol: MSG 11/28/69 1st, Mick Taylor's guitar piece is possibly overdubbed.

3. Stray Cat Blues: Music Baltimore 11/26/69, vocals overdubbed.

4. Love In Vain: Baltimore 11/26/69, no overdubs.

5. Midnight Rambler: MSG 11/28/69 2nd, no overdubs.

6. Sympathy for the Devil: MSG 11/28/69 1st. Verse #4 is edited out.

7. Live With Me: Music MSG 11/28/69 2nd, vocals overdubbed.

8. Little Queenie: Music MSG 11/28/69 1st, vocals overdubbed.

9. Honky Tonk Women: Music MSG 11/27/69, vocals overdubbed.

10. Street Fighting Man: Music MSG 11/28/69 1st, vocals overdubbed."

Stray Cat is NOT from Baltimore but from New York, 11/28 1st, and it includes a rhtyhm guitar overdub by Richards on the chorus 'oh yeah, you're a strange...'. Both Carol and Little Queenie have Taylor's rhtyhm guitar (partially) removed and new guitars added by Richards.

Mathijs

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 29, 2015 04:28

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Munichhilton
DandelionPowderman
Munichhilton
DandelionPowderman
Munichhilton

In a couple of hours you'll be back to do the Dirty Work...

not me...why not find some loser, find some jerk?

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: April 29, 2015 07:14

I'm old school. Put 'em in a good room, a few well placed mics, and record live on analog.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2504
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home