Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Don Was interview - radio.com, Aprill 22
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 23, 2015 14:05

jlowe
No deluxe versions then of:

BLACK AND BLUE
??

...Bring it on.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 23, 2015 15:09

RoughJusticeOnYa
jlowe
No deluxe versions then of:

BLACK AND BLUE
??

...Bring it on.

Yeah, long version of Slave and everything.

Posted by: Kevinrm15 ()
Date: April 23, 2015 16:39

I'm pretty sure Dave Fricke said in a recent Rolling Stone interview with Mick that there was still Tattoo You to do as well.

Date: April 23, 2015 16:44

Kevinrm15
I'm pretty sure Dave Fricke said in a recent Rolling Stone interview with Mick that there was still Tattoo You to do as well.

He did, but it was more like he told Mick that he still had the SF and TY Deluxes to do.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 23, 2015 16:52

stonehearted
It also looks like SF will be their last deluxe studio album re-release, since all the leftover stuff from that era went on Tattoo You. With Sticky Fingers, Exile, and Some Girls already re-released in deluxe format, they've run out of things to re-release.

There's still unreleased tracks from STICKY FINGERS, GOATS HEAD SOUP, IORR, BAB, SOME GIRLS and EMOTIONAL RESCUE. It's such a broad stroke of him to say it was all put on TY when it wasn't - especially since he has been quoted stating there's tons of material left.

Seems to me that a few someones have been lazy - or are tired of the record contract that was signed.

Date: April 23, 2015 17:04

GasLightStreet
stonehearted
It also looks like SF will be their last deluxe studio album re-release, since all the leftover stuff from that era went on Tattoo You. With Sticky Fingers, Exile, and Some Girls already re-released in deluxe format, they've run out of things to re-release.

There's still unreleased tracks from STICKY FINGERS, GOATS HEAD SOUP, IORR, BAB, SOME GIRLS and EMOTIONAL RESCUE. It's such a broad stroke of him to say it was all put on TY when it wasn't - especially since he has been quoted stating there's tons of material left.

Seems to me that a few someones have been lazy - or are tired of the record contract that was signed.

From BB and LIB as well. There were no SF or Exile songs used for TY, as far as I know. Tops and WOAF were intended for GHS/recorded in 1972, weren't they?

Date: April 23, 2015 17:25

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
stonehearted

From BB and LIB as well. There were no SF or Exile songs used for TY, as far as I know. Tops and WOAF were intended for GHS/recorded in 1972, weren't they?

Yes.

That's what's so irritating about these deluxe reissues. They certainly do have plenty of leftover material. Who gives a shit about 'finishing' it? Just put it out so we can have it without all the hiss and scratch and crap of shitty bootlegs!

However, after looking some more, it though it looks like there's barely anything leftover from the IORR sessions and it seems that the rehearsals for the BAB sessions turned into actual recordings (Worried About You, Slave) so there's probably others like that. And of course there's still a gazillion leftovers from the SG and ER sessions.

Date: April 23, 2015 19:06

Come On Sugar and a couple of other ones from the BAB sessions spring to mind.

Drift Away and Living In The Heart Of Love (IORR) and Criss-Cross Mind (GHS).

There are many, many more pre-SG tracks.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 23, 2015 19:51

rollmops
Mick and Keith have mentioned their interests in recording new music but Don Was doesn't seem aware of it. Don also implied that he is not involved with the coming tour.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Has he ever been involved with the touring side of things? I've always knocked Don Was for his Stones work but as Lem Motlow implies, only so much a producer can do with guys who've been doing this as long as Mick and Keith. I think the most anyone can do with them at this point is co-produce.

But somehow the production on the 70's stuff just sounds so much better. It seems the less technology and simpler the recording environment, the better the sound for the Stones. Less mics, more bleed between channels, less overall tracks..whatever it takes to bring that sound back would serve them well.

It would really be cool if they would use the old mobile truck in Calgary for a couple tracks...back to roots indeed.

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-23 20:11 by Naturalust.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 23, 2015 20:09

Naturalust
rollmops
Mick and Keith have mentioned their interests in recording new music but Don Was doesn't seem aware of it. Don also implied that he is not involved with the coming tour.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Has he ever been involved with the touring side of things? I've always knocked Don Was for his Stones work but as Lem Motlow implies, only so much a producer can do with guys who've been doing this as long as Mick and Keith. I think the most anyone can do with them at this point is co-produce.

But somehow the production on the 70's stuff just sounds so much better. It seems the less technology and simpler the recording environment, the better the sound for the Stones. Less mics, more bleed between channels, less overall tracks..whatever it takes to bring that sound back would serve them well.

It would really be cool if they would use the old mobile truck in Calgary for a couple tracks...back to roots indeed.

peace

peace

It could have happened in 2005 :
The Rolling Stones
Pengrowth Saddledome, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Friday, October 28, 2005

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 23, 2015 20:12

i dont know alot about the exact technology as far as the actual tape they used to use but i dont think they make it anymore-someone more qualified could tell more.

it was really part of the whole house of cards falling as far as rock and roll is concerned -no one left who could really play and the digital thing was such a letdown.

i read a thing where leonard cohen said "digital makes the music float in space,its not grounded.with analogue its grounded"

i'm paraphrasing slightly but its one of those things where you dont know what he's saying -but you still know what he's saying.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 23, 2015 21:09

I believe(may be I am wrong) that Don Was has always been involved with the stones while they are touring since he has been their producer. On the "Sweet Summer Sun" DVD his name appears in the credits. When he answers the question by saying that he will see them in his hometown Detroit, it sounds like that is the only show he will go to.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: April 23, 2015 21:25

lem motlow
i dont know alot about the exact technology as far as the actual tape they used to use but i dont think they make it anymore-someone more qualified could tell more.

Don't want to get to geeky on ya lem, but they still make it. Parts to repair the aging vintage tape machines are getting hard to find though. Most pro studios still have an analog 24 track tape machine sitting around for people who want to go that route. Finding interns who know how to operate it is a bit of a task.

What's becoming popular now are software "plug-ins" for digital platforms which mimic the old analog tape sound.

But even people who record analog usually transfer the stuff to digital for editing and very,very few people these days are truly keeping the signal analog for the recording, mixing, editing and mastering. They used to have a code on CD's which indicated the amount of analog involved in the release (AAA,AAD,ADD,DDD) but I think that has gone away since almost all stuff is done digitally these days.

peace

Date: April 23, 2015 21:54

Naturalust
lem motlow

Don't want to get to geeky on ya lem, but they still make it. Parts to repair the aging vintage tape machines are getting hard to find though. Most pro studios still have an analog 24 track tape machine sitting around for people who want to go that route. Finding interns who know how to operate it is a bit of a task.

What's becoming popular now are software "plug-ins" for digital platforms which mimic the old analog tape sound.

But even people who record analog usually transfer the stuff to digital for editing and very,very few people these days are truly keeping the signal analog for the recording, mixing, editing and mastering. They used to have a code on CD's which indicated the amount of analog involved in the release (AAA,AAD,ADD,DDD) but I think that has gone away since almost all stuff is done digitally these days.

peace

Some bands even record their digital master over to tape (and back), to get some of that organic sound.

Date: April 23, 2015 22:05

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
lem motlow

peace

Some bands even record their digital master over to tape (and back), to get some of that organic sound.

I love the idea of live recording direct to 2 inch, 2-track tape, get everything right ahead of time and slam that fat tape with a genuine live mix!

peace

Date: April 24, 2015 00:12

rollmops
I believe(may be I am wrong) that Don Was has always been involved with the stones while they are touring since he has been their producer. On the "Sweet Summer Sun" DVD his name appears in the credits. When he answers the question by saying that he will see them in his hometown Detroit, it sounds like that is the only show he will go to.
Rock and roll,
Mops

You're confusing some overdub work with touring. He's got nothing to do with their tours and never has. Working on fixing a live album is studio work.

Date: April 24, 2015 00:13

Naturalust
lem motlow

peace

Drive-By Truckers, as far as I'm aware from what I've read and people I've talked to, do it all on analog - and make a different master for whatever digital format. So the vinyl LPs are absolutely analog - no digital tinkering involved. The CD LPs have whatever done to them, as well as the iTunes LP and anything else.

Date: April 24, 2015 01:43

GasLightStreet
Naturalust
lem motlow

peace

Drive-By Truckers, as far as I'm aware from what I've read and people I've talked to, do it all on analog - and make a different master for whatever digital format. So the vinyl LPs are absolutely analog - no digital tinkering involved. The CD LPs have whatever done to them, as well as the iTunes LP and anything else.

Yeah but it's just hard to imagine engineers cutting and splicing magnetic tape these days instead of a few mouse moves and clicks. The whole art of editing tape is becoming a lost one. Recording and overdubbing and such is easy with tape, just takes a bit longer. I'll have to listen to some Drive by Truckers...any suggestions?

peace

Date: April 24, 2015 01:54

with all respect, that we are talking about? it's unfortunate that there is no material for a new album. !!!

I think that “One More Shot” [one of the two new songs on the 2012 compilation GRRR!] would be a great final song.

The next line is, “that’s all I got.”

Well, it would be a good coda, if it is, in fact, their last song.

I think they’ll play until they drop, but I don’t know if they’ll make records anymore

thanks
Bs.As.Stones

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 24, 2015 03:59

GasLightStreet

Yes.

That's what's so irritating about these deluxe reissues. They certainly do have plenty of leftover material. Who gives a shit about 'finishing' it? Just put it out so we can have it without all the hiss and scratch and crap of shitty bootlegs!

Plenty of leftover material? Well, we don't know if some of the stuff that's uncirculated even on bootlegs is little more than a basic idea - drums, guitar riff, guide vocals with nonsense lyrics.

Who gives a shit about finishing it? Maybe the band members, for instance? For artistic reasons? I clearly remember that my drummer once played a song sketch in public, over the sound system of a local music club. While the music sounded real good for a rough demo recorded on-the-fly in our rehearsal room, I had to sing fantasy lyrics just because I did not have any finished ones. We recorded it just for the band's use, to save the idea on tape. Days after this public airing, people came up to commenting like "your new song, it's really good, but the vocals, they sound somewhat strange". I did not like that at all. I would have kicked our drummer's butt if he was around! As an artist, I did not like "the public" listening to unfinished stuff.

Maybe the Stones, considering their status, think the same? But whatever, don't forget that it's their band, not yours, you may demand from them whatever you want from a fan's perspective, but in the end, it's their artistic decision if they want the public to listen to their unfinished stuff or even rough song sketches like "Highway Child", for example.

Date: April 24, 2015 04:40

retired_dog
GasLightStreet

Yes.

Plenty of leftover material? Well, we don't know if some of the stuff that's uncirculated even on bootlegs is little more than a basic idea - drums, guitar riff, guide vocals with nonsense lyrics.

Who gives a shit about finishing it? Maybe the band members, for instance? For artistic reasons? I clearly remember that my drummer once played a song sketch in public, over the sound system of a local music club. While the music sounded real good for a rough demo recorded on-the-fly in our rehearsal room, I had to sing fantasy lyrics just because I did not have any finished ones. We recorded it just for the band's use, to save the idea on tape. Days after this public airing, people came up to commenting like "your new song, it's really good, but the vocals, they sound somewhat strange". I did not like that at all. I would have kicked our drummer's butt if he was around! As an artist, I did not like "the public" listening to unfinished stuff.

Maybe the Stones, considering their status, think the same? But whatever, don't forget that it's their band, not yours, you may demand from them whatever you want from a fan's perspective, but in the end, it's their artistic decision if they want the public to listen to their unfinished stuff or even rough song sketches like "Highway Child", for example.

My guess is there is lots of leftover material but the single thing keeping most of it from being released is lack of a strong vocal track. If there was stuff with excellent vocals Mick would be more likely to release it as is or with a few musical touchups. Without a good vocal it doesn't even make the list for consideration. As true for Mick and the Stones as it is for other artists.

peace

Date: April 24, 2015 05:43

Naturalust
GasLightStreet
Naturalust
lem motlow

peace

Yeah but it's just hard to imagine engineers cutting and splicing magnetic tape these days instead of a few mouse moves and clicks. The whole art of editing tape is becoming a lost one. Recording and overdubbing and such is easy with tape, just takes a bit longer. I'll have to listen to some Drive by Truckers...any suggestions?

peace

THE DIRTY SOUTH is probably their best LP.

Date: April 24, 2015 05:44

retired_dog
GasLightStreet

Yes.

Nah. They released those unfinished tunes on the EXILE extra disc.

Date: April 24, 2015 08:23

GasLightStreet
retired_dog
GasLightStreet

Yes.

Yes, but with finished vocals where needed. Apart from Soul Survivor with Keith's guide vocal, but still sounding very nice.

I guess that for Sticky Fingers Deluxe, Mick was just a bit lazy to write lyrics for certain stuff and record (new) vocals. Some material may just be to rudimental (read: requiring too much work) for them to bring it in any releasable form. Or simply wasn't any good to start with.

Of course, I'm speculating here. It's a pity that Don Was did not share any worthwile info.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 24, 2015 12:02

There is at least one remaining finished track from the Exile Deluxe sessions, Scarlett, a potential "hit" too according to those who heard it. Maybe not from the SF sessions per say but who would have known and where are they going to put it now?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: April 24, 2015 16:05

retired_dog
GasLightStreet
retired_dog
GasLightStreet

Yes.

Yes, but with finished vocals where needed. Apart from Soul Survivor with Keith's guide vocal, but still sounding very nice.

I guess that for Sticky Fingers Deluxe, Mick was just a bit lazy to write lyrics for certain stuff and record (new) vocals. Some material may just be to rudimental (read: requiring too much work) for them to bring it in any releasable form. Or simply wasn't any good to start with.

Of course, I'm speculating here. It's a pity that Don Was did not share any worthwile info.

Loving Cup was not the finished version ie the LP version. Good Time Women is a demo. Soul Survivor has Keith bellowing away - not finished. Title 5, which as far as anyone knows goes back to 1967, when they were obviously more fixated on creating EOMS than TSMR, is unfinished.

I think it's a whack mindset that they have that something has to be "finished". There are plenty of releases by other artists that feature unfinished songs. The Stones need to get with the program and put those recordings out. Artist integrity is past the point of no return.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 24, 2015 16:32

GasLightStreet
retired_dog
GasLightStreet
retired_dog
GasLightStreet

Yes.

Loving Cup was not the finished version ie the LP version. Good Time Women is a demo. Soul Survivor has Keith bellowing away - not finished. Title 5, which as far as anyone knows goes back to 1967, when they were obviously more fixated on creating EOMS than TSMR, is unfinished.

I think it's a whack mindset that they have that something has to be "finished". There are plenty of releases by other artists that feature unfinished songs. The Stones need to get with the program and put those recordings out. Artist integrity is past the point of no return.

Disagree...would rather they put in the extra effort, and we get the sublime Plundered My Soul, and not 'Title 5'.

Date: April 24, 2015 17:51

GasLightStreet
retired_dog
GasLightStreet
retired_dog
GasLightStreet

Yes.

Loving Cup is an earlier version, not an "unfinished track". They already performed this tune in public, in 1969, at Hyde Park. Good Time Women may be a demo (early incarnation of Tumbling Dice), but sounds good "as is". Title 5 - this one is just a joke, a nice one, that escapes "finished/unfinished" classification. Novelty value, nothing more. It's from the mid-sixties and not an early 70's recording, btw.

The problem with the Stones is that they simply don't need the cash those items generate. There's simply no need for them to release anything that the band, and Jagger in particular, regards as "unsuitable for public consumption".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-24 17:57 by retired_dog.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: April 24, 2015 18:51

36-40 Minutes? Really? SF & YaYas each clock in at 47-48 minutes. It used to drive me crazy that I could not fit the entire LP on to one side of a C-90 cassette tape to blast in my car. Ahh . . . .those were the days.

HBK

Posted by: DirtyT ()
Date: April 24, 2015 18:59

This guy bores the daylights out of me..

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2227
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home