Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Don Was interview - radio.com, Aprill 22
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 22, 2015 15:56

From an interview with Brian Ives:

Don Was on the Rolling Stones’ ‘Sticky Fingers,’ Brian Wilson & the Amazing Sinatra Album He Almost Produced with Bob Dylan

Gabi Porter

Speaking of the Stones, they just announced that they’re reissuing [1971’s] Sticky Fingers. I know you work on all of their reissues. Anything you can tell me about working on this one?

Unlike the other two that we worked on, [1972’s] Exile on Main Street and [1978’s] Some Girls, the actual outtake stockpile for Sticky Fingers is pretty much depleted. The stuff that didn’t go on Sticky Fingers went on Exile on Main Street. And the stuff that might have been left over from that ended up on [1981’s] Tattoo You. And a couple of songs that maybe didn’t make it on to Tattoo You, we worked on and finished for the [2010] Exile reissue. There’s a lot of over bleed—no pun intended—between [1969’s] Let It Bleed, [1968’s] Beggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers and Exile, but particularly Sticky Fingers and Exile. There just wasn’t enough stuff that no one had heard before.

The thing that will make this one different is the alternate takes, like “Brown Sugar” with Eric Clapton and the acoustic “Wild Horses.” But they’re all just different versions of songs. The bonus disc is rounded out with some live performances. It’s a little different from Exile and Some Girls in that we didn’t go back and try to finish anything.

When did the Stones record “Brown Sugar” with Eric Clapton?

I think it was recorded at a party in the studio and Clapton was there. It was a casual undertaking. They have a lot of versions of a lot of songs. They always chose the right ones, by the way.

Even without bonus tracks, Sticky Fingers is such a classic.

I’ve often spoken with the Stones about one of the advantages of vinyl being that it was just 36 to 40 minutes long, and there was no tolerance for filler. You had to self-edit constantly. A couple of the records we’ve done together, I’d prepared 36 minute versions for them. I know we did it for [1994’s] Voodoo Lounge and I think we did it for 1997’s Bridges to Babylon too. Some of them, if they were 36 minutes instead of 72 minutes, they would absolutely hold up to Let It Bleed and those older albums. But those days are gone.

I think that Keith Richards came into his own as a balladeer during your era as the band’s producer (1994- the present). On Voodoo Lounge, he sang “The Worst” and “Thru and Thru.”

My favorite was “How Can I Stop” from Bridges to Babylon. It’s almost a bonus track because it comes way at the end of a record.

You once told me that you had to include “How Can I Stop” as sort of a bonus track because Keith already sang “You Don’t Have To Mean It” and “Thief in the Night” on that album, and Mick didn’t want Keith to sing three songs on an album.

[Laughs] That song, I thought that was their version of what Brian Wilson just did with “The Last Song.” I thought that was their coda when they did it. It was such a contentious album to make. And it was the last song that we cut. Charlie had a limo waiting in the alley behind the studio to take him to the airport to fly back to England as soon as we got the take. We had to get the take done. I remember thinking, “Wow, this is the last song the Rolling Stones are ever going to record.” I thought it was a historic moment.

But as it turned out, Charlie came back [later] and we recorded something else for the album, and 20 years later, they’re still going.

I think that “One More Shot” [one of the two new songs on the 2012 compilation GRRR!] would be a great final song.

The next line is, “that’s all I got.”

Well, it would be a good coda, if it is, in fact, their last song.

I think they’ll play until they drop, but I don’t know if they’ll make records anymore.

Will you see them on this tour?

Oh absolutely, I’m going to be in my hometown of Detroit when they play there, so I’m absolutely going to go see them.

[radio.com]

Re: Don Was interview - radio.com, Aprill 22
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 22, 2015 16:02

What about The Amazing Stones Album He Almost Produced?
Someone else gonna do it or what?

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: April 22, 2015 16:07

I almost agree regarding too many songs on albums in the digital era…cut Voodoo to 10 and a good album becomes great, same with babylon

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 22, 2015 16:13

Thanks for sharing, as always. As usual with Don Was not much of interest/lack of depth...

- "The thing that will make this one different is the alternate takes, like “Brown Sugar” with Eric Clapton and the acoustic “Wild Horses.”"

yeah, a version with no guitar fills makes a big difference, not.

- "There just wasn’t enough stuff that no one had heard before."

well BS with EC has been heard by anyone who's bothered to look. What about "Travelling Man", "Who Am I", "Candlewick Dedspread", 'Rock It", "As Now" ? The last 3, if they exist (the source is Kanbach I believe who had access to the studio notes), certainly haven't been heard by many people. I think the real answer is "Mick didn't want to release unfinished takes and these days he's got better things to do than write and record new vocals"

- "I think they’ll play until they drop, but I don’t know if they’ll make records anymore.

Looks like he didn't get the marketing memo that Mick and Keith were reading from recently, certainly puts to bed (as if it was needed...) any rumours of the imminent release of a "Back to Roots" album.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-22 16:14 by gotdablouse.

Date: April 22, 2015 16:22

goodbye new album ¨ back to the roots¨ sad smiley

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: April 22, 2015 16:55

Very interesting that he prepared "vinyl"-length versions of Voodoo Lounge and B2B. Too bad they didn't take him up on it!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 22, 2015 16:56

buenosairesstones

On 101.9 here in Cape Cop they were talking about a new Stones album, they also had short interview with MJ, but he didn't mention a new album!!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 22, 2015 16:59

buenosairesstones

No, Guess Don Was was told to keep quiet about the production Process by The Glimmer Twins.. Like Ronnie was told to.

Jeroen

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 22, 2015 17:21

longlongwinter
I almost agree regarding too many songs on albums in the digital era…cut Voodoo to 10 and a good album becomes great, same with babylon

It is the returning question always as to the albums of the latter day Stones: Is it obvious that such hypothetically reduced releases would have omitted the songs oneself in case had been willing to let go.

When I read such suggestions here, it is usually the case to a great extent that other posters are inclined to cut out songs that I myself prefer to keep.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 22, 2015 19:02

What a load of crap about 'stuff that no one had heard before'. Are they talking about unreleased tracks only Stones nerds know about? What's wrong with releasing Fiji Jim or Potted Shrimp? Only an infinitesimal amount of fans actually know those songs.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 22, 2015 19:46

A far cry from his statements that the Stones have so much unreleased stuff in the can they could put out a good new record every year for the next 40 years.

peace

Date: April 22, 2015 19:50

Naturalust
A far cry from his statements that the Stones have so much unreleased stuff in the can they could put out a good new record every year for the next 40 years.

peace

That's from the sessions 7 and 8 years later.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 22, 2015 19:54

If they didn't have any unreleased stuff to put on Sticky Fingers, then there's no point in buying the 2009 remaster again.

It also looks like SF will be their last deluxe studio album re-release, since all the leftover stuff from that era went on Tattoo You. With Sticky Fingers, Exile, and Some Girls already re-released in deluxe format, they've run out of things to re-release. Unless they plan to fill out the remaining years of their career with archive live releases. Unless they can make a deal with ABKCO to put out expanded deluxe treatments of their sixties output up to Let It Bleed.

I guess we'll just attend concerts and celebrate the back catalog while we can.

Date: April 22, 2015 20:06

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

peace

That's from the sessions 7 and 8 years later.

Can't imagine those sessions producing near the amount of songs he implies. I always though this statement was based on his hundreds of hours spent combing the vaults. I believe him about the SF era stuff, even Mick and Keith have said all the good stuff carried over to Exile, which, in retrospect, makes the SF sessions even more golden. The true zenith of this bands creativity, imo.

peace

Date: April 22, 2015 20:09

That's when they produced the most tracks, undoubtedly.

They have material for a GHS Deluxe surely, and I'm not sure if it's correct that SF tracks were used for TY. Which ones?

Date: April 22, 2015 20:33

DandelionPowderman
That's when they produced the most tracks, undoubtedly.

They have material for a GHS Deluxe surely, and I'm not sure if it's correct that SF tracks were used for TY. Which ones?

I think he's saying that tracks left over from Exile went on TY. But considering TY was basically made from Chris Kimsey mining the 70's vaults it is possible. A good question for Mr. Kimsey. Don Was seems to come across like he was there during all that 70's stuff. He may be a good Stones historian but he was just buying and listening to those records like the rest of us at that time. smoking smiley

peace

Date: April 22, 2015 20:37

Exactly!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 22, 2015 20:46

I think Mick got bored with the idea of making new tracks from old. Bored with the idea that the 'old Stones' are light years better than what's left. Let some friggin' outsiders listen to some of the vault stuff and see what's in there. I'd like to think ABKCO has some great stuff, but really, they didn't spend endless time in the studios back then.

Posted by: Snoopy ()
Date: April 22, 2015 21:15

Thanks for sharing this!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 22, 2015 22:23

this certainly elevated my opinion of don was.

he knew exactly what he was doing and mick and keith didnt listen to him.if they had gone with the 36 minute versions that he gave them we wouldnt have the meandering, watered down records we ended up with.

someone mentioned that when we make our own playlists of bigger bang,voodoo lounge or whatever someone always leaves out songs someone else likes-thats not the point.

a good record has a group of songs that work together and make a statement.the others can be used later with songs they work with i.e songs written a couple of years before being on exile and others from the 70's being on tattoo you.

it's probably the same old story though,mick and keith fighting too much to get it done right.seems that way since don said he thought "how can i stop" was the last song they would ever record.

if they're this screwed up they shouldnt make another record,it'll just be more second tier crap.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 22, 2015 22:25

No deluxe versions then of:
DIRTY WORK
BLACK AND BLUE
??

Date: April 22, 2015 22:38

lem motlow
this certainly elevated my opinion of don was.

he knew exactly what he was doing and mick and keith didnt listen to him.if they had gone with the 36 minute versions that he gave them we wouldnt have the meandering, watered down records we ended up with.

someone mentioned that when we make our own playlists of bigger bang,voodoo lounge or whatever someone always leaves out songs someone else likes-thats not the point.

It would have seemed a bit short to have 36 minute records in the digital age. People might have been complaining about what a rip off for only 36 minutes of music. Just wait till you have a records worth of great songs to put out if that's what it takes...a better approach, imo.

I could make a single playlist from Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon and A Bigger Bang that would be considered a great Stones record.

Don Was's statement of making a 36 minute version of Stones records seems enlightening, might be a reason some older 36 minute records are such classics, but obviously that kind of approach would work for anybody, there is usually going to be 36 minutes of stronger material on most 72 minute records.

peace

Date: April 22, 2015 23:41

Naturalust

It would have seemed a bit short to have 36 minute records in the digital age. People might have been complaining about what a rip off for only 36 minutes of music. Just wait till you have a records worth of great songs to put out if that's what it takes...a better approach, imo.

I could make a single playlist from Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon and A Bigger Bang that would be considered a great Stones record.

Don Was's statement of making a 36 minute version of Stones records seems enlightening, might be a reason some older 36 minute records are such classics, but obviously that kind of approach would work for anybody, there is usually going to be 36 minutes of stronger material on most 72 minute records.

peace

i know what you're saying but thats kind of making my point-of course it would've been short.

its like giving a speech-if a person has nothing left to say they should'nt just keep talking to fill time.if an author runs out of story they just wrap it up,they dont publish their shopping list or things to do around the house list to add more pages in some mistaken idea that "the public wants more"- no; the public wants a good record,if anything the "digital age" has given everyone A.D.D.-no one wants to spend an hour and a half sitting around listening to a record..

the stones will never make another great record.they dont have the ability at this stage of the game,they didnt have the ability after 1978.what they could do is put together a record as good as between the buttons or emotional rescue-good records that people like.
these records done with the outtakes blended into them are a mess,if they're gonna do that again they should just quit while they're ahead.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 23, 2015 00:54

jlowe
DIRTY WORK
BLACK AND BLUE
??

Sure, why not! 30th anniversary of DW is coming up. Let that sink in a moment.

Date: April 23, 2015 00:56

jazzbass
jlowe
DIRTY WORK
BLACK AND BLUE
??

Sure, why not! 30th anniversary of DW is coming up. Let that sink in a moment.

The outtakes from those sessions are great.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 23, 2015 01:01

What sessions were Travellin' Man, Blood Red Wine, and Highway Child from? There are still some great unreleased tunes from this general period.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 23, 2015 01:21

gotdablouse
Thanks for sharing, as always. As usual with Don Was not much of interest/lack of depth...

- "The thing that will make this one different is the alternate takes, like “Brown Sugar” with Eric Clapton and the acoustic “Wild Horses.”"

yeah, a version with no guitar fills makes a big difference, not.

- "There just wasn’t enough stuff that no one had heard before."

well BS with EC has been heard by anyone who's bothered to look. What about "Travelling Man", "Who Am I", "Candlewick Dedspread", 'Rock It", "As Now" ? The last 3, if they exist (the source is Kanbach I believe who had access to the studio notes), certainly haven't been heard by many people. I think the real answer is "Mick didn't want to release unfinished takes and these days he's got better things to do than write and record new vocals"

- "I think they’ll play until they drop, but I don’t know if they’ll make records anymore.

Looks like he didn't get the marketing memo that Mick and Keith were reading from recently, certainly puts to bed (as if it was needed...) any rumours of the imminent release of a "Back to Roots" album.

Well, always thought and knew that Don Was is full of blah blah blah. Hope they will get another producer for the Next, if any, album.

Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-23 01:22 by corriecas.

Date: April 23, 2015 02:29

Excuse my English , I have to use google translator to communicate with you . I think we are all grateful to the Stones continue to tour, I have 40 years and am a fan of them makes 30, but I think the fans like us who have spent much money on them , deserve a last great album.me like to give listen to my 12 year old daughter the new Stones

thanks
Bs.As.Stones

Date: April 23, 2015 02:32

71Tele
What sessions were Travellin' Man, Blood Red Wine, and Highway Child from? There are still some great unreleased tunes from this general period.

i think those may date back to let bleed and they might not own them.

as far as don was is concerned,he did the best he could.can you imagine being with that dysfunctional group of diva's and trying to create something?
charlie had a limo waiting,ready to hightail it out of there as they were finishing a track...?..wow

i love those guys but the reality of it is they are probably a nightmare,when you've spent decades having everyone who talks to you say how great you are it doesnt help the art.no stu,no anita,just big smiles everywhere."love ya man" you're the best"

a good producer cant make streets of love become angie or sweet neocon become not a piece of shit.when you have keith richards writing songs with the same title as a song by brett michaels,all hope is lost. look what the cat..look what the cat dragged in...i felt like colonel kurtz in apocalypse now when i heard that shit...the horror...the horror..

the blame lies with mick and keith and they'll never spend enough time in the same room together to fix it.it's over,just enjoy the live shows.anyone hoping they'll make a new record-be careful what you wish for.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 23, 2015 12:59

Mick and Keith have mentioned their interests in recording new music but Don Was doesn't seem aware of it. Don also implied that he is not involved with the coming tour.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home