Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Track Talk: Talkin’ ‘Bout You
Posted by: René ()
Date: April 13, 2015 09:38

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Talkin’ ‘Bout You
(Chuck Berry)

RCA Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, US, September 5, 1965

Mick Jagger - lead vocals, backing vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar, backing vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Brian Jones - electric guitar
Ian Stewart - piano

Let me tell you 'bout a girl I know, I met her walking down an uptown street
She's so fine, I wish she was mine, I get shook up every time we meet
Talkin' bout you, nobody but you, baby
Nobody but you, yes, you all the time
I do mean you, yeah, my baby
Just trying to get a message to you

Let me tell you 'bout a girl I know, help me know, she looks so good
Lovely skin, well, she's soaked in gin, she oughta be somewhere in Hollywood
Talkin' 'bout you, I'm talkin' 'bout my baby
Nobody but you, yes, she's alright
I do mean you, yeah, my baby

Talkin' 'bout you, nobody but you, baby
Nobody but you, yes, you all the time
I do mean you, yeah, yeah

Let me tell you 'bout a girl I know, sitting right here by my side
Lovely indeed, that’s why I ask if she, promise someday she will be my bride
Talkin' 'bout you, yeah, talk
Nobody but you, yes, my, my baby
I do mean you, yeah, yeah
I'm just trying to get a message through
Talkin' bout my baby, too much
Talkin' bout my baby, yeah, yeah, yeah
Talkin' bout my baby, she’s mine
Yeah, she’s mine, yeah, yeah, yeah

Produced by Andrew Loog Oldham

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Out Of Our Heads” LP
(Decca SKL 4733) UK, September 24, 1965

Re: Track Talk: Talkin’ ‘Bout You
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 13, 2015 09:53

Killer track. One of my favorite early Stones covers. Guitar tones were great and the guitar solo is awesome. Amazingly slow tempo when compared to how they approach such tunes these days. I be very curious how they would play this tune today. I am assuming that's Keith on the guitar solo since he was the Chuck Berry freak? .. but I'm not too familiar with Brian's playing from this period.

peace

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 13, 2015 10:06

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 13, 2015 10:29

What goes for adding something idiosyncratic touch to the original, "Talkin' 'Bout You" is one of the best covers The Rolling Stones ever have done. If with Muddy's "I Just Want to Make Love To You" they took a deep slow Chicago blues number and give it a fast rock and roll reading, now they are doing the reverse: Berry's fast rock and roll number is brought back Sweet Home Chicago. Wheras Chuck's original sound rather light-hearted, innocent teenager dance number, aimed at white kids, The Stones version is full of dirty sex. That lazy, teasing groove, almost falling apart but never does; the bass going straight there where the sun won't shine; the guitars full of edge and guts; the singer putting there all the passion he has, adding there extra parts to the original to really make sure he gets his point through. Even the title "I'm Talking About You" is translated to a rougher form "Talkin' 'Bout You".

Early Stones at their sexiest, dirtiest best, having a groove no other white band ever have had.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-13 10:30 by Doxa.

Date: April 13, 2015 10:53

Naturalust
Killer track. One of my favorite early Stones covers. Guitar tones were great and the guitar solo is awesome. Amazingly slow tempo when compared to how they approach such tunes these days. I be very curious how they would play this tune today. I am assuming that's Keith on the guitar solo since he was the Chuck Berry freak? .. but I'm not too familiar with Brian's playing from this period.

peace

Yeah, Keith was doing all the solos, except for the slide guitar in those days.

Killer track indeed! Fits so well with all the other soul numbers on that album.

The intro is as dirty as it gets - love it thumbs up

Date: April 13, 2015 11:06

I have to make a confession that I have for years neglected OUT OF OUR HEADS. I truely loved and listened the album when it was 'fresh' to my ears ages ago (liek any album they have done), but then it somewhow was forgotten . Until very recently I have started to listen the album more often and more closely.

UK OUT OF OUR HEADS has the fame being just the last 'cover album' until the sudden showcase of originality in AFTERMATH, which many consider the first real masterpiece-like album. This is it looks like at least if one follows UK catalog (like mostly I do).

There is a truth there - I recall reading in some biography that the album got rather so-so reviews, it being "repitive", and especially Jagger taking a notice - but at the same time it is also an album The Stones, I would claim, peaking as cover artists, and their final master thesis in showing their ability to cover all forms of black American rhythm'n'blues in the large sense of the term. If their fisrt album was mostly just having a chance to show what they had learned in their club circuit days, and maybe sounding a bit green and insecure being finally in a real studio cutting a whole album, here they have found their own mark in interpretation, and they trust their own strenghts. A some kind of maturation in covering. Like they really are throwing there everything they possible ever can know, making a statement: 'by our terms, this is as far as possibly one can get, and there is nothing more to add'. Especially Jagger is in flames throughout the album - think those "That's How Strong My Love Is", "Cry To me", "She Said Yaeh", and of course, "Talkin' Bout You". I would go even so far to claim that the Jagger we know is born in this album. After mastering all the recent forms of black American music, and finding his own stance on them, he was after OUT OF OUR HEADS 'ready' to apply those acquired interpretation skills to original material. That education can be heard through his career ever since.

Sorry, this was just an obsrvation considering the whole album from which our week's track derives from (well, for some of you that is DECEMBER'S CHILDREN...grinning smiley)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-13 11:15 by Doxa.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 13, 2015 11:30

Gloomy and doomy, an atmosphere of creeping pressure. Stones at their best on their best early British album, Out of Our Heads. A prototype for their upcoming Blues album.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 13, 2015 11:33

No favorite of mine. But that's not the boys fault...the song is pretty shi...ehrr boring...

2 1 2 0

Date: April 13, 2015 11:41

Come On
No favorite of mine. But that's not the boys fault...the song is pretty shi...ehrr boring...

I admit it being not Berry's strongest songs, but I think the Stones treat it with the same dirty hands like they did with John and Paul's "I Wanna Be Your Man" (which I truely think is a boring, if not even annoying pop song), and are able to make a memorable track. The singer, not the song...

- Doxa

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: April 13, 2015 12:10

A very nice blues cover, but perhaps not one of their most memorable.

This video has some lovely clips from those early days.

Drew

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 13, 2015 12:39

Truly love this, for the very same reasons noted by Doxa.

Bill first moment of glory under the spot light!

C

Date: April 13, 2015 13:58

liddas

C

2120 Michigan Avenue also deserves a mention?

Date: April 13, 2015 14:02

DandelionPowderman
liddas

C

South...tongue sticking out smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: April 13, 2015 14:03

Come On
DandelionPowderman
liddas

C

South...tongue sticking out smiley

Just checking your geography skills, my friend winking smiley

Date: April 13, 2015 14:04

thumbs up

Chicago Chicago....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 13, 2015 15:49

derty...love everything about this track. perhaps my favourite chuck cover.

Date: April 13, 2015 15:56

treaclefingers

Speaking of Chuck covers, had another one in my hands earlier today, treacle. Come On/I Want To Be Loved. Excellent 1st edition. Media was ex, sleeve was vg+

Decided not to buy it for appr $60. Did I make a mistake or is my will power growing stronger?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-13 16:12 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 13, 2015 16:03

DandelionPowderman
liddas

C

Touché

C

Date: April 13, 2015 16:23

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers

Speaking of Chuck covers, had another one in my hands earlier today, treacle. Come On/I Want To Be Loved. Excellent 1st edition. Media was ex, sleeve was vg+

Decided not to buy it for appr $60. Did I make a mistake or is my will power growing stronger?

maybe a bit of both? a mistake only insofar as you may regret not buying it...certainly good will power!

I stopped my ferocious buying binge on these products several years ago, mostly on ebay. Having said that, if I had it in front of me at say, a record fair or independent record shop, and I could see it was in such fine condition, I probably would buy it.

There can't be many around, in that good condition. Even if the price seems a tad high in the big scheme, probably not too high. You could always try to negotiate it down a bit as well.

My disclaimer is that I don't happen to know what the 'true' market value for this might be. I know US sleeves can sometimes by very expensive. I have several copies of Not Fade Away, Heart of Stone and Satisfaction for instance, that commend well over $100; Heart of Stone $500+.

What country is the picture sleeve from, Denmark, Netherlands?

Date: April 13, 2015 16:29

I think the sleeve is swedish, but will check.

I passed on the fairly new Route 66 EP as well (with Cops And Robbers, You Better Move On and Mona). I don't know what's wrong with me? smiling smiley

Date: April 13, 2015 16:33

DandelionPowderman

I passed on the fairly new Route 66 EP as well (with Cops And Robbers, You Better Move On and Mona). I don't know what's wrong with me? smiling smiley

Well anything with Cops and Robbers on it would be a bootleg wouldn't it? When was it released?

Date: April 13, 2015 16:37

DandelionPowderman

Nah, we got this ones in Sweden:

2 1 2 0

Date: April 13, 2015 16:40

Come On
DandelionPowderman

yeah, the picture sleeves are somewhat rare. Obviously not a UK version either. What countries might have had pic sleeves for that?

I can only think of Denmark, Netherlands and maybe France. Didn't France get Come on/Tell Me though? I'm just going from memory.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 13, 2015 16:41

DandelionPowderman
liddas

C

Everything from the British Out of Our Heads deserves a mention ... from the wake-up call She Said Yeah until the closer I'm Free ... I love this album

Date: April 13, 2015 16:47

treaclefingers
Come On
DandelionPowderman

yeah, the picture sleeves are somewhat rare. Obviously not a UK version either. What countries might have had pic sleeves for that?

I can only think of Denmark, Netherlands and maybe France. Didn't France get Come on/Tell Me though? I'm just going from memory.

It is swedish.

Date: April 13, 2015 17:55

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Come On
DandelionPowderman

It is swedish.

Hmmm...I'd have thought a guy with the user name "Come On" would have absolutely nailed that.

Date: April 13, 2015 17:58

I bought my copy 1964. The style is on this green one Swedish for sure, but have I seen it? Nope, never....smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: April 13, 2015 18:02

Come On
I bought my copy 1964. The style is on this green one Swedish for sure, but have I seen it? Nope, never....smoking smiley

I remember through the year's buying Stones singles, that had no picture sleeve (She's So Cold being the first), and thinking they just didn't make one.

Later, with much chagrin, finding they actually DID have one with the single, and it was cool...just not made available in our market.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 13, 2015 18:48

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Come On
DandelionPowderman

It is swedish.
Danish.
[www.45cat.com]
[collectorsfrenzy.com]
The record will be made in England.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-13 18:59 by Deltics.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 13, 2015 19:33

Out Of Our Heads Uk was an essential album at the time for me and still is, I preferred listening albums instead of turning over 2/3 minute singles. Talkin' 'Bout You is a Great cover the way The Stones played it.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1250
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home