Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 8 of 13
next from the Vault.......
Posted by: Christopher ()
Date: April 10, 2015 16:43

See this link...........next from the Vault. Marquee Club 1971

[www.americansongwriter.com]

Re: next from the Vault.......
Posted by: mitch ()
Date: April 10, 2015 16:46

yesterday's papers.

Date: April 10, 2015 16:47

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 10, 2015 16:49

I also think they may be touring this spring.

Rumour has it, it will either be in North or South America. Can't divulge my source.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 10, 2015 17:00

treaclefingers

Rumour has it, it will either be in North or South America. Can't divulge my source.

Insiders with special infos, I hate you... >grinning smiley<

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: April 10, 2015 17:03

Will Mick Taylor be playing the Marquee gig?

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: April 10, 2015 18:44

How much will Wyman be edited/cropped out, that's my question....

Posted by: s083874 ()
Date: April 10, 2015 19:42

I just watched Dead Flowers from the new video. Much better quality than my bootleg video. That song, performed then, just shows how good they were. Burned out after a tour but still tight playing. Mick Taylor's notes he plays on that song just seems to be exact and right on. Some call it noodling. But that, my friends, is not noodling. You need to be wired in to play like that. What was he? 20?. Makes it hard to watch anything after 1981 when I see something like that. Now if they would just release Europe 73. Not Brussels Affair. In as clear and the video and sound was on that Dead Flowers performance.
Sometimes when I watch the shows from '75 I get the impression with the big shlong, balloons, and clown suits that the band was making up for the missing sound.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 11, 2015 01:26

dcba
treaclefingers

Insiders with special infos, I hate you... >grinning smiley<

We're used to it. To all the haters...grinning smiley

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: April 11, 2015 03:50

HouseBoyKnows
Will Mick Taylor be playing the Marquee gig?
Yes,but only on Midnight Rambler!

Re: The Rolling Stones - The Marquee - Live In 1971 new release !
Posted by: GJV ()
Date: April 11, 2015 10:25

Rollin92
Deltics
Rollin92
muenke
GJV
Did anyone see this:

in Japan you also get Brussels Affair with this release!!

Including on LP in the Ward Super deluxe box!! Wow! That's the one to go for!

Indeed Japan will get a very special release, at least it seems like that:

[wardrecords.com]

Anyone can translate this, please?

They don't ship abroad. Why is it just Japan with an offering like this, I'd like an affordable opportunity to own the Brussels Affair vinyl as well.

You can buy it via Personal Shopper:
[personalshopperj.com]

Has anyone ever used them before? If they are any good I'll give it a go.

I bought via Personal Shopper a couple of times now, incl the Hampton and L.A. boxsets and some Japanese bootlegs.
I got all 100% new products and nothing to complain about, BUT it's also very, very expensive.

The Marquee box costs at Ward about 210 euro. If you buy it at Personal Shopper it costs 281 euro, incl so called "presale costs" (???!!!!)! And that's still without international p&p costs.

So it's up to anybody's own consience if one wants to spend that much money for a boxset.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-11 10:31 by GJV.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: April 11, 2015 11:59

Will it come out on vinyl and who will sell it?

Posted by: kait ()
Date: April 11, 2015 12:22

JumpinJeppeFlash

[www.ebay.com]

Date: April 11, 2015 18:32

[www.iorr.org]

JumpinJeppeFlash

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 11, 2015 19:09

The Marquee show certainly isn't their best (a quick listen to the awesome Essen '70 show that kleermaker posted previously is one way to remind ourself of it), but I think Mathijs and perhaps some other people here are exaggerating when they say it sucks so bad.

I think this one is already dividing us into two camps, just like the similarly sloppy LA '75 show did -- between those who think it sucks because it sounds sloppy and tired, and those of us who love it because it's vintage Stones of a golden era with tons of character (and Mick Taylor...).

I applaud Mick Jagger, Eagle Rock and whoever for releasing this stuff, but I would love it if they could dig a little deeper too.

Btw, I agree it's silly that the Ladies & Gents release was so shabby when they can make this ol' tv performance look so good. I get the feeling they thought "Well, Ladies & Gents was released properly in the 70s already, so lets just put that onto dvd" and they didn't bother to fix it up properly, while the unfinished condition of LA '75 and Marquee '71 kinda forced them to remix/remaster the whole thing. I still think the '72 tour deserves better releases, both in terms of audio and picture.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: April 11, 2015 19:27

s083874
I just watched Dead Flowers from the new video. Much better quality than my bootleg video. That song, performed then, just shows how good they were. Burned out after a tour but still tight playing. Mick Taylor's notes he plays on that song just seems to be exact and right on. Some call it noodling. But that, my friends, is not noodling. You need to be wired in to play like that. What was he? 20?. Makes it hard to watch anything after 1981 when I see something like that. Now if they would just release Europe 73. Not Brussels Affair. In as clear and the video and sound was on that Dead Flowers performance.
Sometimes when I watch the shows from '75 I get the impression with the big shlong, balloons, and clown suits that the band was making up for the missing sound.

Yeah, I don't get the noodling claim, either. Noodling, to me, is the kind of stuff the Grateful Dead do when they just kind of go from point to point for 20 or 30 minutes. This here is structured right along with the melody, and really isn't much different than most versions they performed during that time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-11 19:30 by StonesCat.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: April 11, 2015 19:31

LieB
Btw, I agree it's silly that the Ladies & Gents release was so shabby when they can make this ol' tv performance look so good. I get the feeling they thought "Well, Ladies & Gents was released properly in the 70s already, so lets just put that onto dvd" and they didn't bother to fix it up properly, while the unfinished condition of LA '75 and Marquee '71 kinda forced them to remix/remaster the whole thing. I still think the '72 tour deserves better releases, both in terms of audio and picture.

I have not seen the Ladies And Gents dvd/blur-ray but is the quality really that shabby? Is it worth to pay 10 euros for it if your not a Taylor fan? Is the blu-ray worth to get compared to the dvd?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-11 19:38 by yeababyyea.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 11, 2015 19:35

LieB

I totally agree here, with the nuance that I find the video pretty good. But the audio isn't a hair better than the bootleg. The sound on the official L&G is just a shame, because it's their only official document of that legendary tour.

Date: April 11, 2015 20:15

kleermaker
LieB

I totally agree here, with the nuance that I find the video pretty good. But the audio isn't a hair better than the bootleg. The sound on the official L&G is just a shame, because it's their only official document of that legendary tour.

The audio is far worse than that of the bootlegs.

Date: April 11, 2015 20:23

DandelionPowderman

Same as with Live In Texas '78 then??
Fortunately we have MFG-55 with TSP Handsome Girls as audio selection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-11 20:24 by yeababyyea.

Date: April 11, 2015 20:34

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
LieB

To my limited ears about the same as the audio of the bootleg called You Can't Do That Baby. Or are there better bootlegs than that one Dandy?

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 11, 2015 20:39

kleermaker
EasterMan
kleermaker
Still the Brussels second is a relatively mediocre show, compared to the great 1973 shows that could have been released (it is still very great, but though).

The Stones h´gave you an unreleased soundboard recording from 1973 and you're complaining?

It must be better to have both shows in soundboard quality instead of them releasing the same show we already had?

There are much better ones in soundboard. From London, Rotterdam and Berlin, for example. Now we've got a mix of Brussels first which we already had in very good quality on bootleg and some mediocre performed songs from Brussels second, with some strange hybrid All Down The Line. It could have been much better. Period.

When the Ya-Ya's deluxe package was released I was thrilled to hear the Thumb/Free performance from the 27th show in THAT quality. When the Brussels package was released the glaring omission for me was that it did not include the magnificent TD performance from the 1st show. Perhaps quality-wise there was nothing else that could be done, but still, I was hoping.

Why is it that an "off" show from the 69-73 era still has points of interest and feels at least "authentic" and an "off" show in the later days feels like the band is not there anymore? I like Leeds' funky Satisfaction performance.

Date: April 11, 2015 20:51

pmk251

Why is it that an "off" show from the 69-73 era still has points of interest and feels at least "authentic" and an "off" show in the later days feels like the band is not there anymore? I like Leeds' funky Satisfaction performance.

The nice thing of the Marquee and Leeds Satisfaction is the fact that the well known riff isn't there. I mean: the riff is such a hard and dominant statement, but the funky version is much more subtle and refined. As if they're making their point without emphasing it because it's not needed.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 11, 2015 20:58

I once did a comparison between one soundboard bootleg of the Ladies & Gents soundtrack and the actual dvd soundtrack and the boot did sound a little better. Not sure of the title, but I think it was "You Can't Do That".

Anyway, yes, I was referring mostly to the audio when I criticized the L&G. I don't know why didn't do a complete remix and master like they did with the rest of the "official bootleg" releases we have gotten so far. The picture of L&G is also infamously flawed -- dark and no audience shots -- but cannot be improved much anyway. What I wish they would do is some kind of '72 tour box with material from other concerts. The concert clips in CS Blues are great and deserves official release, not to mention the oundboard audio recordings from the tour.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 11, 2015 22:14

Maybe they don't have the multi-tracks for Ladies and Gentlemen. There was a long tangled legal history over the film, as the investors' group went bankrupt.

Date: April 12, 2015 00:49

yeababyyea
DandelionPowderman

No, that one's only different.

Date: April 12, 2015 01:00

DandelionPowderman
yeababyyea
DandelionPowderman

I can assure you the Texas '78 film is more enjoyable with the bootleg audio smiling smiley

But how bad is really the Ladies & Gentlemen audio? I don't own this dvd yet, is it even worth buying?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-12 01:00 by yeababyyea.

Date: April 12, 2015 01:16

yeababyyea
DandelionPowderman
yeababyyea
DandelionPowderman

I can assure you the Texas '78 film is more enjoyable with the bootleg audio smiling smiley

But how bad is really the Ladies & Gentlemen audio? I don't own this dvd yet, is it even worth buying?

I have both. The bootlegs are good in a different way. I don't have HG on vinyl, though. The Live In Texas vinyl is excellent.

I believe Teddy has a point with the L&G multitrack tapes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-12 01:17 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: fullbandwith ()
Date: April 12, 2015 15:40

The marquee clip looks fabulous. I assume the same colourist who graded LA75 & Hampton & Sweet Summer Sun was asked to do this gig. All the orig videotape faults have been cleared beyond the "microphony ripple" which is characteristic as is.
L&G was done at pinewood and its clear they used someone else. The 35mm print is flat lifeless and very dirty etc. I will be buying the marquee gig for sure based on that clip, it beats that awful boot thats out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-12 16:16 by fullbandwith.

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: April 12, 2015 18:05

I've just watched the DF upgrade and it's fantastic.
Mick Taylor's guitar is great.
Jagger looks a bit *wired* though.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 8 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1402
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home