Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 13
Re: The Rolling Stones - The Marquee - Live In 1971 new release !
Date: April 9, 2015 01:19

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Yep. Same with the Sweet Summer Sun vinyl and BluRays. Different mastering for different formats. The Brussels cd is also a different master.

This is what I'm trying to explain to kleerie, but he turns his deaf ear, because he has listened to the over-compressed digital master.

Ah, now I see the light (finally)! Those guys just produce different masters for vinyl and CD! How idiot! So I got the compressed, bad mastering in flac, and you've got the dynamic mastering on vinyl, resulting in some kind of Babylon confusion between us Why the hell did they release such a bad mastered CD/flac files and a dynamic vinyl recording? Unbelievable. Still glad I got 'Kevin's' BA, it sounds way better than the flac/CD-version.

Still the Brussels second is a relatively mediocre show, compared to the great 1973 shows that could have been released (it is still very great, but though).

Had they offered us a digital download mix onto vinyl it would have been downright fraud.

I'll see what I can do.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 9, 2015 01:21

EasterMan
kleermaker
Still the Brussels second is a relatively mediocre show, compared to the great 1973 shows that could have been released (it is still very great, but though).

The Stones h´gave you an unreleased soundboard recording from 1973 and you're complaining?

It must be better to have both shows in soundboard quality instead of them releasing the same show we already had?

There are much better ones in soundboard. From London, Rotterdam and Berlin, for example. Now we've got a mix of Brussels first which we already had in very good quality on bootleg and some mediocre performed songs from Brussels second, with some strange hybrid All Down The Line. It could have been much better. Period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-09 01:22 by kleermaker.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 9, 2015 01:23

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Yep. Same with the Sweet Summer Sun vinyl and BluRays. Different mastering for different formats. The Brussels cd is also a different master.

This is what I'm trying to explain to kleerie, but he turns his deaf ear, because he has listened to the over-compressed digital master.

Ah, now I see the light (finally)! Those guys just produce different masters for vinyl and CD! How idiot! So I got the compressed, bad mastering in flac, and you've got the dynamic mastering on vinyl, resulting in some kind of Babylon confusion between us Why the hell did they release such a bad mastered CD/flac files and a dynamic vinyl recording? Unbelievable. Still glad I got 'Kevin's' BA, it sounds way better than the flac/CD-version.

Had they offered us a digital download mix onto vinyl it would have been downright fraud.

I'll see what I can do.

Go for it Dandy. smiling smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 9, 2015 01:25

TravelinMan
Upon reading Johns' book I learned that Wild Horses was to be played but Keith fell asleep tuning his 12 string and Jagger called it, hence the short set. Damn it Keeeef!!

That's right and amazingly enough once everything had been packed, Keith woke up and picked up where he'd left things as he'd been left as he was, odd!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: April 9, 2015 01:38

Did anyone see this:

in Japan you also get Brussels Affair with this release!!

Including on LP in the Ward Super deluxe box!! Wow! That's the one to go for!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 9, 2015 01:39

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

I'll see what I can do.

Most vinyl these days is cut directly from a CD production master, sometimes higher res digital files are used but unless the CD Master is over-compressed there really is no need to master separately for vinyl. I guess DP is saying that the CD master is indeed over compressed and fixed on different formats..

I like to get some of the engineers who are working on this Stones stuff to actually explain their process but with Micks love of studio work and unlimited funds I wouldn't doubt new masters are made any time they consider a new format, certainly for the older material, but who knows?

peace

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: April 9, 2015 01:55

You can count me in for this! If only they would release Brussels officially on cd/vinyl. I love my bootleg copy, but I am obsessed with the idea of getting my hands on an official copy, not something I have to download.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: April 9, 2015 04:10

Didn't Keith write about the Marquee show in Life? I remember him saying that it was a few days after the UK tour and he wasn't in great shape for that gig. He showed up late and they were all bitching at each other and dealing with the camera crew or something like that.

Wasn't it also performed in front of family and friends for a TV special and certainly not a "real" concert audience?

I always thought the performance was a bit subpar. Rambler is a joy, feels like a rehearsal. Love seeing the visuals of the band in their youth. Whats up with Jagger's shirt top? Reminds me of the blue top Robert Plant wore for their 73 tour, seventies-man!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 9, 2015 04:31

How come in 71 nobody was excited about this? Not the press, not the fans, not the Stones.
It's a real nice flashback to watch now - but no way it's the Stones of 71/72 in excellent form.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 9, 2015 05:05

CousinC
How come in 71 nobody was excited about this? Not the press, not the fans, not the Stones.
It's a real nice flashback to watch now - but no way it's the Stones of 71/72 in excellent form.

Well...I was a fan in '71 and quite honestly we didn't know it exited until the weekend bootleg 'shows/fairs' started up around here in Toronto in the '80's.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: April 9, 2015 05:24

This looks great! Not to side track too much but what pickup was in Keef's DA? It didn't look like one of the stock ones.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 9, 2015 05:53

What the hell, it looks like a good 'minor' release to enjoy this summer. They don't charge much for them, and the Blu Ray sound should be great.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 9, 2015 06:19

nankerphlege
This looks great! Not to side track too much but what pickup was in Keef's DA? It didn't look like one of the stock ones.

Isn't is just the stock, slide-in humbucker?

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: April 9, 2015 06:32

Mr. Jimi
Didn't Keith write about the Marquee show in Life? I remember him saying that it was a few days after the UK tour and he wasn't in great shape for that gig. He showed up late and they were all bitching at each other and dealing with the camera crew or something like that.

Wasn't it also performed in front of family and friends for a TV special and certainly not a "real" concert audience?

I always thought the performance was a bit subpar. Rambler is a joy, feels like a rehearsal. Love seeing the visuals of the band in their youth. Whats up with Jagger's shirt top? Reminds me of the blue top Robert Plant wore for their 73 tour, seventies-man!
In Greenfield's Aint it Time We Said Goodbye book, he says that Keith told him he was late because he had been harassed by cops when leaving his house to get to the gig.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 9, 2015 07:30

Where can I preorder this? There's nothing on Amazon.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 9, 2015 07:39

kleermaker
EasterMan
kleermaker

The Stones h´gave you an unreleased soundboard recording from 1973 and you're complaining?

It must be better to have both shows in soundboard quality instead of them releasing the same show we already had?

There are much better ones in soundboard. From London, Rotterdam and Berlin, for example. Now we've got a mix of Brussels first which we already had in very good quality on bootleg and some mediocre performed songs from Brussels second, with some strange hybrid All Down The Line. It could have been much better. Period.

Hmm the London I heard was all manic, coked out, and somewhat sloppy sounding. Seemed like that whole tour was a supernova and it explains why they needed time off until black & blue was released. Intensity to the max!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 9, 2015 09:27

A fantastic release! The performance might be sub-bar, but interesting anyhow. Anything from those golden days is a treasure. It could be that, like with ROCK&ROLL CIRCUS, the fake audience and playing basically just for the cameras, is not enough to rise up the energy level and interest of the band which really shines on the real killin' floor, playing for a real audience. They were so organic, living and breathing band at the time. They can't fake a real show. Of course, Keith could have spend some time tuning his guitar. but who cares, that's part of the deal...grinning smiley

From the base of youtube "Dead Flowers", sonically and visually a real upgrade to the bootleg versions I have.

God bless FROM THE VAULTS series... Taking all the vaults stuff we have been treated during the last couple of years - and considering the band still is touring - what a great times to be a Rolling Stones fan...smileys with beer

- Doxa

Date: April 9, 2015 10:18

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-09 11:13 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 9, 2015 10:39

Shit - what a difference!eye popping smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 9, 2015 10:46

palerider22
CousinC

Well...I was a fan in '71 and quite honestly we didn't know it exited until the weekend bootleg 'shows/fairs' started up around here in Toronto in the '80's.

From memory, people DID know of the film's existence at the time.
However, this was a period when a lot of product was not released (for different reasons), eg RRCircus, Marquee film, CS Blues film, 1972 Live audio with Stevie Wonder etc.
Stones fans were just used to delays etc. Even BB was delayed 4 months and the Performance film a couple of years.
Also at that stage of their career fans werent exactly nostalgic about the past....a vaults series at the time would have been met with some derision in some quarters.
Now those of us of a certain age are all nostalga freaks.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 9, 2015 10:58

Glyn Johns talks about it in his book. They were supposed to do Wild Horses (at least) as well but Keef fell to sleep tuning his acoustic. Jagger called and end to proceedings and they all went outside only to hear Keith wake up and continue tuning oblivious that everyone including audience had left.

Sorry just saw post above

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-09 11:09 by terraplane.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 9, 2015 11:09

kleermaker
with sssoul

But to whoever it was up there who said it's a great version of Rambler:
In fact it's a rare sighting of a ridiculous Ramblers, due to all the screw-ups.
Even the band cracks up (well, except for Mick T who's acting like he doesn't know these other cats). :E

Must have been me. I love the Marquee Rambler and it's really good. Mark my words and try to refute them when the DVD release, with its outstanding audio quality (assuming all songs are in the same audio quality as this Dead Flowers) is there. All those claiming for years that the Marquee is a lame gig will be proven wrong and I'm already having fun about that.

I have stated Marquee is a lame gig since the first time I saw it in 1983. And as a matter of fact, I will make another statement right here: it's probably the worst gig the Stones have done in their carreer (together with the Beacon theater shows for SAL).

Sure, the video footage looks brilliant now, but now it mainly shows a band in really, really bad shape, and much like a parody. It's very Spinal Tap the way they look -all dressed up ready to deliver a fantastic show, only to find out it's actually only your mum and sister in the audience on the couch.

Then the music. It's awful. They're out of tune for just about all tracks. And it's not only Richards, it's also Wyman who's not tuned properly throughout the gig. I don't know what Taylor and Watts smoked before the gig, but they sure do pretend to be somewhere else than on a stage with a band. This is just a bloody ramshackle band, really on the verge of a breakdown. And Jagger knows it, but he also knows that he can't save it. His stage presence is that of acting to be Mick Jagger the Rockstar, but it looks ridiculous.

Than my biggest gripe: somebody should have slapped Mick Taylor in the face: stop that bloody, useless and pointless noodling!!! It's goddamn awful! Take Dead Flowers: how many times can you play that same pentatonic lick with those dreadful hammer-ons over and over? The double stop country bend is great, but not 34 times in the same song!

Ok. I am relaxed now.

It's a bloody awful gig. That's what I wanted to say.

Mathijs

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 9, 2015 11:11

I also remember that this was the show there was some arguments, and Keith falls asleep and they all left him there??? He looks like the walking dead. Like he just got up from a narcotics induced comma.

Date: April 9, 2015 11:17

Mathijs
kleermaker
with sssoul

But to whoever it was up there who said it's a great version of Rambler:
In fact it's a rare sighting of a ridiculous Ramblers, due to all the screw-ups.
Even the band cracks up (well, except for Mick T who's acting like he doesn't know these other cats). :E

Must have been me. I love the Marquee Rambler and it's really good. Mark my words and try to refute them when the DVD release, with its outstanding audio quality (assuming all songs are in the same audio quality as this Dead Flowers) is there. All those claiming for years that the Marquee is a lame gig will be proven wrong and I'm already having fun about that.

I have stated Marquee is a lame gig since the first time I saw it in 1983. And as a matter of fact, I will make another statement right here: it's probably the worst gig the Stones have done in their carreer (together with the Beacon theater shows for SAL).

Sure, the video footage looks brilliant now, but now it mainly shows a band in really, really bad shape, and much like a parody. It's very Spinal Tap the way they look -all dressed up ready to deliver a fantastic show, only to find out it's actually only your mum and sister in the audience on the couch.

Then the music. It's awful. They're out of tune for just about all tracks. And it's not only Richards, it's also Wyman who's not tuned properly throughout the gig. I don't know what Taylor and Watts smoked before the gig, but they sure do pretend to be somewhere else than on a stage with a band. This is just a bloody ramshackle band, really on the verge of a breakdown. And Jagger knows it, but he also knows that he can't save it. His stage presence is that of acting to be Mick Jagger the Rockstar, but it looks ridiculous.

Than my biggest gripe: somebody should have slapped Mick Taylor in the face: stop that bloody, useless and pointless noodling!!! It's goddamn awful! Take Dead Flowers: how many times can you play that same pentatonic lick with those dreadful hammer-ons over and over? The double stop country bend is great, but not 34 times in the same song!

Ok. I am relaxed now.

It's a bloody awful gig. That's what I wanted to say.

Mathijs

I'll have to agree with all of this. You will buy it anyway, right, Mathijs? smiling smiley

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 9, 2015 11:26

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-09 12:19 by LuxuryStones.

Date: April 9, 2015 11:31

Mathijs

I can only imagine the almost orgastic feeling you had when were writing that...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 9, 2015 11:44

This release has a DVD+CD package. Anyone have the tracklisting for the CD?

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 9, 2015 11:47

WTF – they´re just selling us an expensive deluxe box with a 2-track DVD and a few days/weeks they release an extra DVD featuring 8 tracks plus some bonus stuff???
(I know one release is Eagle Rock, the other RS, but still – it's a rip-off)

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: April 9, 2015 11:48

GJV
Did anyone see this:

in Japan you also get Brussels Affair with this release!!

Including on LP in the Ward Super deluxe box!! Wow! That's the one to go for!

Indeed Japan will get a very special release, at least it seems like that:

[wardrecords.com]

Anyone can translate this, please?

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: April 9, 2015 11:54

muenke
Anyone can translate this, please?

[translate.google.fr]

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1571
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home